The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

nerds RPG

Define "nerd".
:kaukau:Dude, you are awesome for asking that question. Basically, I tend to open my argument by saying that being a fan of Star Wars or Harry Potter does not make you a nerd. Beign friendly does not make you a nerd. Being a dweeb does not make you a nerd. What defines a nerd is their positive attitude to knowledge and intelligence. So basically a nerd isn't going to be incredulous if you choose to do your multivariable calculus homework, or if they're doing it they're not going to give up and say "Man, this is so uncool!" The other stuff can sometimes come with it, although it generally saddens me when people assume that a nerd has to be a pathetic person with no social skills. That's a shallow stereotype that is far, far too dominant in the media. Otherwise, I really think that the conditions for being a nerd are fairly broad. If I were to do a "Nerd RPG" I suppose I would really leave the type of nerdiness up to the players. I have confidence that the people of BZPower could probably role-play nerds fairly well. By the way, I kept on seeing people reference someting called IL while reading through this topic. What did that stand for? My memory on RPGs is a little fuzzy. Your Honor,Emperor Kraggh

IL stands for Interstellar Line, an RPG of old. It involved commanding your own nation and ruling the stars; it also involved two hundred pages of painful politicking, as well as a few isolated skirmishes.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Hopefully we can at least make the politics painless this time around

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

:kaukau:Oh, boy. Yes, I seem to remember that RPG, or at least the name. I never knew much about it, but I sure hope that the politicking wasn't as painful as the G-modding in Reality RPG. If there's anything I've learned, it's that you should create an RPG that allows people to dream big without creating a world full of God-mods with a capital G, because otherwise it gets to the point where everyone has some philosophical reason why their characters are so big and important that everything else in the RPG combined shouldn't even amount to them when put to scale. It got too much for me when nothing I did really mattered. Plus, I got sick and tired of about half a dozen people having characters that were the manifestation of all evil, shadows, or death. There should really only be one. I'd imagine that the creator of an RPG that has the potential for these characters should clarify who the ultimate evil of the universe is before people begin jumping to claim the position. Your Honor,Emperor Kraggh

Well, I'm going to submit Starscape to the request topic, then. Knowing the judges, it'll be approved in six weeks.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Jump Drive and Burnspace are ideally the only breaks from real world physics, so pretty bloody hard.

-Rover

According to TVtropes, a 4 on the Mohs Scale of Science Fiction Hardness To quote, "Authors of works in this class invent one (or, at most, a very few) counterfactual physical laws and writes a story that explores the implications of these principles."

Edited by Your Friend Doctor Robert

-Rover

Funny, that's exactly what i was thinking. This of course means that you'll have anywhere from several days to several weeks transit time inside a system, depending on the power of your ship, your location, and whether you're using a Hohmann course or a Bracistochrone course (which is essentially a straight line to where your target will be). Oh, I almost forgot. What kind of FTL drive are we talking about here? I outlined the four major types in a previous post in this topic, I believe. :w:

It's not the edge of the system. Like I said, two million miles out from a terrestrial planet, more for a gas giant or Ice Ball

-Rover

Yo, i have a question about starscape and the industry costs; say you lost a planet and you now have more ships then you could sustain, would some ships have to be stuck "planetside" or in drydock until you could sustain them, or would they have to be destroyed? If the former, that would be less painful for people as perhaps in this case they wouldnt have to wait 2 weeks to make a new ship and could instead just bring an old ship back into the game :P (that'd also be cool for storyline's sake; say if two species have been fighting for a while, and after thinking a certain large-class ship was destroyed, it comes along again and continues its long-forgotten reign of terror) Unless ive got this whole thing messed up (im not feeling good and thus kinda out of it; chances are i misread something xD) and turns out the industry costs are simply to build it, and there is no limits to your army. Although im pretty sure this isnt the case :P Anyways, I may send my profile in later for pre-approval Xom; all I need to do is finish giving the Thernians new ship designs. :biggrin: --Akaku: Master of Flight

"I've brushed with death so often I should start giving him high-fives while I pass."

Recent Work: Return to Forum (2024)
Friend's works: Terrible Comics (2016) | The Guardians of Gevra Nui (2017) | Reborn (2016)
Older Work: The Legends of Taladi Nui (2017)

Drydock would probably be the smartest choice. You'd be able to reactivate it later. Also, there'd be a two week period(real time or game time, whichever ends first) before the ship starts needing supplies. Thus, you could use a ship to immediately re-take a lost planet, It wouldn't disappear from a battle halfway across the Cluster.

-Rover

:kaukau:Dude, you are awesome for asking that question. Basically, I tend to open my argument by saying that being a fan of Star Wars or Harry Potter does not make you a nerd. Beign friendly does not make you a nerd. Being a dweeb does not make you a nerd. What defines a nerd is their positive attitude to knowledge and intelligence. So basically a nerd isn't going to be incredulous if you choose to do your multivariable calculus homework, or if they're doing it they're not going to give up and say "Man, this is so uncool!" The other stuff can sometimes come with it, although it generally saddens me when people assume that a nerd has to be a pathetic person with no social skills. That's a shallow stereotype that is far, far too dominant in the media. Otherwise, I really think that the conditions for being a nerd are fairly broad. If I were to do a "Nerd RPG" I suppose I would really leave the type of nerdiness up to the players. I have confidence that the people of BZPower could probably role-play nerds fairly well.

No, Nerd means someone who is intellectual, skilled in one field, and generally introverted about it.

Tumblr: Where facts and logic go to die.

Hey Wrack, you should really give Starscape a look over in the review topic, methinks. On the topic of the nerd RPG: I wouldn't really be interested. Seems like it's making fun of us more than celebrating us.

-Rover

Hey Wrack, you should really give Starscape a look over in the review topic, methinks. On the topic of the nerd RPG: I wouldn't really be interested. Seems like it's making fun of us more than celebrating us.

its not like its gonna be hosted by the jocks or anything. Edited by ~JC~

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

*has flashbacks to playing Brawl against Sonic* I might up the speed on maturing a little bit, if it's downright boring once we start playing.

-Rover

:kaukau:Oh come now, Wrack, do you have to be confrontational about every statement I make based even on the most minor wording? I'm not arguing against your definition: it's valid. But stop stuck-up and rigid when you're throwing your interpretations on people. If you want to get technical, neither of our explanations fit the precise wording given by Dictionary.com: noun Slang. 1.a stupid, irritating, ineffectual, or unattractive person.2.an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit: a computer nerd. And while your wording is closer, that does not mean that I can't use it in more general terms. In my experience, I've found that people like classifying themselves as nerds even when it doesn't suit this exact definition. I've sat at a table of people who considered themselves "band nerds". I was fine with the way they used it. It resonated with them. These people really weren't introverted. Some people are considered nerds and yet are skilled in more than one field. Bear in mind that it's a slang word and the dictionary holds only so much application. We can agree that not all intellectuals are nerds, so it's not so vaguely defined that it can apply to anyone who's smart. Also, while the Dictionary.com definition is true, it really only applies to all the stereotypes of a person who is purely and exclusively defined as a nerd. No one's that one-sides. I suppose you could say that no one is a nerd. Meanwhile, such a narrow definition would kill an RPG. I think that if someone throws out the word "nerd" it doesn't really need specifics. The structure of the RPG would help form an image, and the players could probably come to a general consensus. But really, if you defined it so narrowly, no one is going to want to join because people want diversity in their characters. Most people are going to create characters who are nerds, but also outgoing and trained in fencing because they were inspired by Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. Now that I think of it, why did you ask me to define "nerd" in the first place? Your Honor,Emperor Kraggh

Oh good it's Wrack vs. Kraggh, everything is doomed here.Really you two, this is a nearly pointless argument. Do we have to have it?

-Rover

gonna go ahead and suggest that more work than 'nerd rpg' should be done about it before you start typing up enormous defensive paragraphs like that ^ energy could be spent more efficiently edit: roberts got it (y)

Edited by ~JC~

There a long discussion about Starscape in AIM, and I decided the following Jump Drives can be computed to account for one gravitational field at a time. This is always the sun, since it's omnipresent in a solar system. This is why the Star's gravity doesn't mess with a jump. Long jumps are impossible because other, non-habitable stars get in the way with their gravity fields. Those stars can be mined, but their industrial contribution is just part of the nearest inhabited planet's level(they have no presence in the game and do not contribute to industry, effectively) No neutron stars, anywhere.

Edited by Your Friend Doctor Robert

-Rover

:kaukau:I thought of it as some very awesome stereotypical weirdness. I wasn't going for a drama, more of a comedy. I threw in some stereotypes in there and I fully anticipate that an RPG like that would make fun of itself. I'm sorry I wasn't very clear, but I was posting fairly casually and didn't want to put that much effort into it because if I ever did pursue the RPG it would be in several years, by which time the specifics would have changed drastically. Yet, I did feel like throwing the idea out there, primitive and undeveloped as it is. Meanwhile, I wouldn't actually title the whole thing "Nerd RPG". There's a lot of nerd humor in it, as well as both glorification and satire of nerds, but I think that I would actually call such a thing "Imax RPG" to emphasize the community it takes place in. Your Honor,Emperor Kraggh Edited by Emperor Kraggh

Plus, I got sick and tired of about half a dozen people having characters that were the manifestation of all evil, shadows, or death. There should really only be one. I'd imagine that the creator of an RPG that has the potential for these characters should clarify who the ultimate evil of the universe is before people begin jumping to claim the position. Your Honor,Emperor Kraggh

I have to disagree with you there, Kraggh, as I found that the various "manifestations of all evil, shadows, or death" were all vying to be the one and only, which made for not only battles between good and evil, but also battles between evil and evil, on top of the constantly shifting alliances. On all other points, however, I have to agree with you, Reality had far too much leeway in any and every aspect. For someone with a serious-approach to RPing, it was practically impossible to do anything. --- Now, I was conceptualizing what a good Alagaesia RPG would look like, and I came to the realization that the various cultures need a steady guideline. For example, humans' last names are either "Xsson" and "Xsdaughter" or otherwise note a specific aspect of the person or title they've earned (ie "Shadeslayer"); the elves have an entire (complex) system of formalities and manners; and the dwarves have their various clans and specialties. All of these are the things that create the overall vibe that is Alagaesia, but seem rather restrictive when it comes to RPing. Do you guys think that I should outline all of this in the first post? ~Lord Rahl~

Yes, make sure everyone is quite familiar with those things in the first post. Question about that, actually: Will we be allowed to be dragon riders?

imo11b1ulynbq2ju7il.png

If you like this banner, please feel free to add it to your signature.

QUOTE(GregF @ Oct 13 2010, 03:21 AM)

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.

Do you think you have what it take to climb... Up the Carrion Stair!

Credit to Toa Zehvor MT for the banner!

If we're allowed to be Riders, it will completely break the game. I'd recommend only allowing Humans and Dwarves, since Elves and Riders are so overpowered.

-Rover

Ooh, feedback. Cool. :P To start off with, this Alagaesia RPG would be set during the height of the Dragon Rider's power, long before Galbatorix and the Inheritance Cycle. So, Ra'zac can quite easily be part of this setting. (Actually, before the Ra'zac War, which I'd like to show in the RPG, they'd probably be all over the place.) I think that the inclusion of Dragon Riders was what destroyed the original Alagaesia RPG. Only one character that I can think of wasn't a Rider, and she happened to have a dragon egg, though she didn't know what it was. I think that initially Riders would be Staff-only characters, but then potentially granted to certain players as rewards for good RPing. After all, the Riders are the whole point of Alagaesia; total exclusion of them wouldn't work at all. From what I can tell, the races of Alagaesia are Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Urgals, Dragons, Ra'zac/Lethrblaka, Shades, and Werecats. I have to think more about each race's strengths, weaknesses, and powers before I determine which ones can be played or not. For example, Shades are completely out of the question, but any human who uses conjuring for magic has the potential of screwing up and becoming one. Does that rule out conjuring, then? As for Ra'zac, as much as I'd like to have them, they're easily the equivalent of Riders, and so are probably going to be regulated, as well. ~Lord Rahl~

i want a urgal (y) riders are like spartan IIs- super powerful, and despite being well known are more or less extinct. even if they weren't game breaking, there'd be no logical reason for them to exist other then saphira had fourteen hundred babies. edit: or it can be pre-inheritance lol, didnt read your last post. elves could be used but you'd need to like, somehow nerf them.

Edited by ~JC~

Well you'd have to tone done a lot of things, or put some limitations that aren't in the book. Say, a poison that's a highly effective against the Ra'zac, or something that stops magic. But really, I see dragon riders as basically 'jedi' in a fantasy setting. In a Star Wars RPG, almost everyone will be a Jedi. Those that aren't know that it's going to be an uphill battle, so to speak, because they'll be less powerful. So since most people will want one of the powerful races, I don't think we need to worry too much about elves curbstomping humans, or anything like that. Most everyone will want something more powerful- there won't be a lot of humans.Just my two cents, take it with a grain of salt. :P

Well, would you just look at that?

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

I will play an unaugmented human magician.

-Rover

speaking of star wars we should get a star wars rpg going (y) star wars is kinda a double edged sword for rpgs. theres the clone wars that everybody knows and loves and have been done fifty billion times, and then theres the rest of the EU that nobody knows anything about. i dont know how comparable jedi are to riders, though- jedi don't slaughter hundreds of thousands of enemies by themselves.