Why all the hate on the 2016 sets?

Umarakthefan

The 2016 sets were actually pretty cool

I know that the first wave was horrible because it had only one villain but the summer wave was a huge improvement.I mean we got cool looking elemental beasts instead of lame mindless skeletons.

And our first gen 2 titan Umarak the destoyer. The netflix show was cheesy but episode 3-4 are actually a little bit dark.The sets had a little bit lego technic style from gen 1 mixed up with the new building system. We were so closeee to get a Makuta set but at that time lego realized the franchise was going downhill.

• Upvote 2

Most of the dislike channeled towards the Uniters, as I remember, was mainly referencing color schemes. Silver and Gold took over mostly, Tahu barely had any red, Kopaka had two odd bits of gold because the "big" Toa had to have them, Lewa had too much silver and so on. I personally didn't take too much issue with this, but I do admit that Lewa could have used more green. 

What absolutely baffles me (not really, because I grasp the concept of opinions) is all the hate directed towards the Creatures. They had creative, fun builds, interesting designs, great parts and neat functions. They combined technic and CCBS elegantly and in my opinion represent the peak of set design in terms of creativity in G2. 

The Summer Wave sets were cool and experimental, but it did feel a little underwhelming. It could have used more sets in general. The beasts were hit and miss with Quake being an interesting experiment but lackluster in execution, Lava played things safe with a familiar design and thus wasn't too remarkable (though he did grow on me once I got him) while Storm was pretty excellent I think. Umarak the Destroyer had some major design flaws, but overall works it's true he is the sole true titan of G2. Ekimu's powered up form was the weakest set if you ask me, since he was pretty generic in my eyes. 

Overall, I myself really liked both of 2016's waves, but I do see where the critics are coming from, honestly. I don't agree with much of what most people see as negatives, but the "hate" isn't entirely unfounded.

:kakama:

• Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Sadly I cannot have an opinion on these sets because they never even released in my area, maybe that's why they are hated?

. that must really suck, but you can buy them on amazon.

Well I didn't like any of G2s sets and neither did many Bionicle fans so that could have contributed.

May I ask why? Edited by Umarakthefan

Well, I love the winter 2016 sets because the You can combine the Toa Uniters and Umarak the Hunter with the Elemental Creatures. It's like 2008 again when you combine Matoran with the Toa and Makuta. I like the Toa Uniters' and Umarak's new waist gear functions.

For the summer 2016 sets, they're alright. I'm a bit disappointed that there are three Elemental Beasts instead of six because each Toa gets a Beast to fight.:( Ekimu looks fabulous with his gold and transparent light blue pieces. Plus, he has both the torso gear function from 2015 and the waist one from 2016.:) Too bad that the Agil set is hard to find and I don't have him, though. I don't where I can get him, either. I wanna connect Agil to Ekimu.:( Umarak the Destroyer is one of the best Gen 2 sets. I always thought the Tahu, Kopaka, Onua, Umarak the Hunter, and Skull Grinder sets are Titan sets, but I can see that Umarak the Destroyer is the biggest. I can see the reason how you call him the first Gen 2 Titan. He's big, spiky, and has a neat function with the hands grabbing. He's like Doomsday from DC Comics and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie in 2016, and Hulk and Abomination from Marvel, man.:) The Elemental Beasts and Creatures are okay, but they are weird in their set designs. The TV show showed the bad guys and Elemental Creatures very well by how they are designed. Their forms in the show look better than their set forms.:) 

It sucks that we almost had a Makuta set. Too bad there's no such thing or the Mask of Ultimate Power's set form bummer.:(

Episodes 3 and 4 are alright, but they are a bit rushed. At least, they give a good conclusion to the G2, though.:) However, I wish the story would've been longer if the planned third year wasn't cancelled. Also, sad thing is that Bionicle G2 ended on its 15th anniversary and it's under-advertised.:( 

I also always love transparent-colored pieces, though.:)

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Well, I love the winter 2016 sets because the You can combine the Toa Uniters and Umarak the Hunter with the Elemental Creatures. It's like 2008 again when you combine Matoran with the Toa and Makuta. I like the Toa Uniters' and Umarak's new waist gear functions.

For the summer 2016 sets, they're alright. I'm a bit disappointed that there are three Elemental Beasts instead of six because each Toa gets a Beast to fight.:( Ekimu looks fabulous with his gold and transparent light blue pieces. Plus, he has both the torso gear function from 2015 and the waist one from 2016.:) Too bad that the Agil set is hard to find and I don't have him, though. I don't where I can get him, either. I wanna connect Agil to Ekimu.:( Umarak the Destroyer is one of the best Gen 2 sets. I always thought the Tahu, Kopaka, Onua, Umarak the Hunter, and Skull Grinder sets are Titan sets, but I can see that Umarak the Destroyer is the biggest. I can see the reason how you call him the first Gen 2 Titan. He's big, spiky, and has a neat function with the hands grabbing. He's like Doomsday from DC Comics and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie in 2016, and Hulk and Abomination from Marvel, man.:) The Elemental Beasts and Creatures are okay, but they are weird in their set designs. The TV show showed the bad guys and Elemental Creatures very well by how they are designed. Their forms in the show look better than their set forms.:)

It sucks that we almost had a Makuta set. Too bad there's no such thing or the Mask of Ultimate Power's set form bummer.:(

Episodes 3 and 4 are alright, but they are a bit rushed. At least, they give a good conclusion to the G2, though.:) However, I wish the story would've been longer if the planned third year wasn't cancelled. Also, sad thing is that Bionicle G2 ended on its 15th anniversary and it's under-advertised.:(

I also always love transparent-colored pieces, though.:)

sad that the toa and umarak had to die

The color schemes (i.e. Tahu suddenly becoming a gold-clad 1-percenter) and a few specific aspects of their builds (i.e. Lewa's god-awful shoulders) were generally off-putting, though I personally found these relatively easy to mod with my own collection.

For the summer 2016 sets, they're alright. I'm a bit disappointed that there are three Elemental Beasts instead of six because each Toa gets a Beast to fight. :( Ekimu looks fabulous with his gold and transparent light blue pieces. Plus, he has both the torso gear function from 2015 and the waist one from 2016. :) Too bad that the Agil set is hard to find and I don't have him, though. I don't where I can get him, either. I wanna connect Agil to Ekimu. :( Umarak the Destroyer is one of the best Gen 2 sets. I always thought the Tahu, Kopaka, Onua, Umarak the Hunter, and Skull Grinder sets are Titan sets, but I can see that Umarak the Destroyer is the biggest. I can see the reason how you call him the first Gen 2 Titan. He's big, spiky, and has a neat function with the hands grabbing. He's like Doomsday from DC Comics and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie in 2016, and Hulk and Abomination from Marvel, man. :) The Elemental Beasts and Creatures are okay, but they are weird in their set designs. The TV show showed the bad guys and Elemental Creatures very well by how they are designed. Their forms in the show look better than their set forms. :)
It sucks that we almost had a Makuta set. Too bad there's no such thing or the Mask of Ultimate Power's set form bummer. :(
Episodes 3 and 4 are alright, but they are a bit rushed. At least, they give a good conclusion to the G2, though. :) However, I wish the story would've been longer if the planned third year wasn't cancelled. Also, sad thing is that Bionicle G2 ended on its 15th anniversary and it's under-advertised. :(
I also always love transparent-colored pieces, though. :)

sad that the toa and umarak had to die

They didn't necessarily die. It was implied at the end that they would return someday. Well, not Umarak, but you get the idea.

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

Though me personally, I enjoyed 2015 better. I guess it reminded me more of original bionicle? The Uniters were alright but I grew ill of the "spikey top" masks, irregular proportions, off color schemes, the same weapon on each of them. And the elemental creatures while a good idea still lacked due to each having the same boring creature mask.I can see why 2016 did worse.

I will go with the "2015 was better" boat- to me, though, 2015 was the perfect balance of CCBS and the classic Bionicle style. 2016 ruined that by introducing too many textures, and the sets were a complete mess as a result. Additionally, I found the color schemes to be a jumbled mess of too much metallic and trans colors and hardly any actual base color, the designs of the characters were less interesting. Also the beasts weren't my favorite, the action features were cool but the overall design of them and The Destroyer weren't really my favorite and just didn't pull me in at all. Umarak who was the only really awesome part of 2016 for me- and he himself reminded me more of the 2015 sets. To be fair, I didn't care for 2015 villains either, for me Umarak was really the only high point in that regard.

Edit: oh right, The big Ekimu, now that set I liked. He was the other strong point of 2016 for me.

Edited by VBBN

I will go with the "2015 was better" boat- to me, though, 2015 was the perfect balance of CCBS and the classic Bionicle style. 2026 ruined hat by introducing too many textures, and the sets were a complete mess as a result. Additionally, I found the color schemes to be a jumbled mess of too much metallic and trans colors and hardly any actual base color, the designs of the characters were less interesting. Also the beasts weren't my favorite, the action features were cool but the overall design of them and The Destroyer weren't really my favorite and just didn't pull me in at all. Umarak who was the only really awesome part of 2016 for me- and he himself reminded me more of the 2015 sets. To be fair, I didn't care for 2015 villains either, for me Umarak was really the only high point in that regard.

Edit: oh right, The big Ekimu, now that set I liked. He was the other strong point of 2016 for me.

Yep, the toa looked really weird in the silver mixed color scheme. The beasts had their own problems. The quake one wasn't very steady,the Lava one had chicken legs and the storm one had a akward tail function. The destroyer had an exposed neck , is breakable and legos decision to use the HF Invasion from below pieces for his claws was a mistake. His Claws are very hard to pose. But because hes the only gen2 titan I forgive lego. Ekimu had an solid build and came with cool pieces.

• 4 weeks later...

Why all the hate? I can say that sometimes all that hate comes from the HEAVILY nostalgic dudes, who thinks that CCBS used in Bionicle means that are characters from Hero Factory and that they aren't the real Bionicle sets like G1.

Well... I want to say that the G2 sets were probably superior to a bunch of sets from G1.

G2 characters have vibrant color scheme with trans-pieces as secondary color. From 2004 the color schemes were reaaaaaally sad: dark colors all over the place. The vibrant Mata colors were gone. And then arrives 2009 that brings back a lot of colors.

Sure that G2 didn't had a lot of functions as G1 (Tarakava punch, Manas remote control, Nui Jaga tail...), but that isn't a reason for hate. Lego tried, and I'd like to say... That their attempts was pretty successful for me!

If there will be a G3, I will buy all the sets like G2.