Computer Programming

Mr. Fluffy

Discuss computer programming here. I am a beginner who is taking a computer programming class in which Microsoft Visual C++ is used (I use 2010). The most elaborate program I've made is one that determines if a triangle is not a triangle, obtuse, right, or acute based on side lengths that the user inputs. Took about half an hour to make. XD

Edited by Mr. Fluffy

superpaper_624_1255384923.jpg

"By me... Count Bleck! The chosen executor of the Dark Prognosticus... is Count Bleck! The fine fellow prophesied to come to this dimension... is also Count Bleck!"

I'm mostly a Java man myself, though I dabble in C# and C++. Got a big coding job interview coming up at the end of the week I'm busy practicing for; hoping it pulls through!

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

I'm currently working towards a Computer Science degree at PSU. I know C, C++, and Java. I'm also working for the school's chemistry department in developing an online version of the introductory chemistry class - one of the largets classes on campus. Haven't done too much work for it personally, though, since I just started.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

I do a ton of JavaScript, some Python, Ruby, Scala, and Common Lisp. Hopefully going to move from Scala to OCaml soon, and use Erlang a little more regularly.Functional Programming FTW.

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

Functional Programming FTW.

I cried.Functional programming languages drive me crazy. It's not that I'm bad with them, but the inefficiency of them to do things so integral of Object Oriented languages makes them impractical for most things I do on a day to day basis. Edited by Than the Moa

Yo.

Functional Programming FTW.

I cried.Functional programming languages drive me crazy. It's not that I'm bad with them, but the inefficiency of them to do things so integral of Object Oriented languages makes them impractical for most things I do on a day to day basis.
Ineffiecent? OCaml is often as fast or faster than C++....Oh, you mean in terms of writing code. Really? I find I write functional code considerably faster. Also, OO and FP are not mutually exclusive. Scala is a great example, and has a rich object system and many functional features. OCaml has a lot of OO features. Common Lisp has the wonderful Common Lisp Object System.What in particular is a lot harder to write in a primarily functional language than in a primarily imperative language? Edited by alpha123

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

I've dabbled in XHTML and CSS (though I've forgotten almost everything about them since then) and touched on JavaScript. I'm planning to start learning a C language in preparation for majoring in Computer Science; I want to break into the video game design field, and if not that, a computer programming field.

I'm self-teaching some Python currently, hoping to learn Java eventually.

Generation reeeeeeeeeeeee: If you see this, don't copy it into your signature. Get off your computer. Go outside! Go for a walk! Appreciate the beauty of the world while you're young and energetic and full of unwarranted enthusiasm. 

Use your time wisely and learn something like OCaml instead, or if you must use Java libraries, Scala. Even C#. Java is terribly verbose.

Muffin button

Use your time wisely and learn something like OCaml instead, or if you must use Java libraries, Scala. Even C#. Java is terribly verbose.
No. Please, I beg of you - learn Python instead. OCaml as a language may be not bad, but Python has far better syntax (IMHO) and 3rd-party library support. Java, on the other hand, is verbose, but compared to languages like OCaml or Scala is far more likely to land you a job if you're an adult (or even if you're a high-school student). Edited by UltraHau

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

No. Please, I beg of you - learn Python instead. OCaml as a language may be not bad, but Python has far better syntax (IMHO) and 3rd-party library support. Java, on the other hand, is verbose, but compared to languages like OCaml or Scala is far more likely to land you a job if you're an adult (or even if you're a high-school student).
Scala will land you a job pretty easily. It has great interoperability with Java, and more companies are picking up on it. Twitter uses a lot of Scala.In general I like OCaml's syntax, except for some minor irritations. I'm still at a loss as to why they picked ;; as the expression terminator. OCaml is very compact, even compared to Python, so to me that makes up for the occasional syntax blunder.I do wish more languages would pick up on the indentation thing though. { / } and even do / end are ugly.

Muffin button