How is Modern Ninjago?

I started watching Ninjago since the pilot episode back in 2011, and I loved the show and sets. I watched up until the season where they brought back Clutch Powers. After the episode where the ninja meet Clutch, I stopped watching the show. There were quite a few factors, namely being:

-At the time, I didn't enjoy The Lego Ninjago Movie.

-I didn't like that half the characters in the show were redesigned to fit the Ninjago Movie styles, which looked really weird next to characters with the original style

-The show felt a lot more goofy after the movie (in a much more juvenile way) but also, far more serious at times. It was a very weird mix.

In retrospect, The Lego Ninjago Movie was really good, as a standalone. It doesn't really fit in the already established Ninjago universe, and at the time, we were hot off the heels of both The Lego Movie and The Lego Batman Movie, so there was some burnout there as well. I also felt they really messed up Clutch's character when he was introduced, retconning him to be an actor and his entire character arc of Lego: The Adventures of Clutch Powers being ignored. It was also a very odd decision to retcon him as an actor, as they introduced a villain named Omega around this time, which was one of the three villains he would've been after in a sequel to his movie.

All of this is to say, I'm somewhat interested in returning to the series. I've been playing a lot of Lego Universe recently, and there's a Ninjago world in the game that I've spent a lot of time in, and has sparked my interest in the series anew. I'm curious if it's worth checking out the newer seasons of the show, and what everyone's opinions on it is.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2024 at 10:29 AM, Valendale said:

To actually answer your question, I think the seasons of the show starting with 2023 have been some of the best. Much better than the slump post-movie.

Got it. Might have to check it out again. It’ll be hard to top Possession for me, though. That was peak Ninjago

On 3/3/2024 at 10:29 AM, Valendale said:

To actually answer your question, I think the seasons of the show starting with 2023 have been some of the best. Much better than the slump post-movie.

I haven't even watched any of the seasons that aired during 2023.

• 4 weeks later...

The new Ninjago (which I consider to be Secrets of Forbidden Spinjitzu and onwards) does feel different from the previous arcs, from a writing perspective, the first part isnt too interesting but the second part has to be a personal favorite with the Zane reveal, I'm still going through these episodes on Netflix so I can't say much about the next seasons yet.

The animation studio switch to Wildbrain was a good choice, I get so excited whenever there is a fight in the show, they animate them so beautifully and smoothly and I love the effort given to them so much!

I have faith that the new series will do just as good as the previous seasons, although I'd love to see more serious character arcs but I'm guessing they have to keep it toned down for younger audiences 😅

emote_3.png