Dino Attack: At War's End

PeabodySam

iC:June 2011A Nebula was a beautiful thing. People often forgot the colors of space, it was usually assumed to be no more than a black void, but when Solomon sat on a bench and looked up at the spirals of gases swirling above Nimbus station he saw the truth. Nimbus station was beautiful under normal circumstance but when the clouds of blue, green, and yellow flouted above the plaza it was even more stunning.Nimbus station was a hub of activity. Similar to a grand train station, minifigs from all across the universe converged at this point to traverse the galaxy. It was 2011, only a few months after the dino attack had ended. In the grand scope of things, the events that had transpired on the small planet of LEGO seemed incredibly insignificant. Tourists from the far reaches of space appeared unaffected by the war. A child from Sector 6 carried a small mutant dinosaur toy and trade to the Lego planet had returned to normal. A stranger might never have there was a dino attack.He looked up the rainbow Nebula flouting above him. He was no longer carrying the armor of XERRD that he bore during the war. Instead, he was wearing a smart maroon vest and linen trousers. He shifted his tie and looked down at the sheathed katana resting on his lap.He was glad the war was over. He hated fighting and he hated what it did to people. Although the philosopher had been thought in the honorable way to fight he knew chivalry had died long ago. There had been nothing noble about slashing down a fright knight or shooting some poor henchmen. It was brutal and messy, although some still held the belief that war was glorious Solomon had never witnessed such glamor during his service.That was not to say there had been no heroes. The likes of Zachary, Minerva, and Rex would not be soon forgotten. The problem with a planet that could be rebuilt in a week was that tragedy could so easily be forgotten. The populous lived in a state of blasé, as if the hundreds killed meant nothing. No signs of the initial attacks remained, the sun shown bright again in Lego city. All scorch marks had been whipped clean and the rubble had been pushed away. It made Solomon wish there was some sort of reminder left about the last days of December, something more than the pages of a history book.The problem with the planet was the isolationism shown by the peaple. Vikings did not care about the exploits of Jake Rains or the World wide racers. Nothing seemed to exist beyond their own little worlds. The world lack connection and continuity, the adventures of 2006 were meaningless compared to the escapades of 2007.People simply made the philosopher sad. There painfully short memory would lead them to forget things that should not be forgotten. To some, the events of December would be remembered as no more than an inconvenience in the Holiday season.It was June 2011 now. The planet looked good as new and people continued with their live. What was even stranger was that work still needed to be done; it was just no one seemed to care.Elite agent Hertz had recently proposed to Naomi. After his initial flounder at outpost 4 they had decided to take things more slowly. After six months he had popped the question following a romantic brunch at Café corner.Obviously she had said yes. Hertz, however, had been called away very soon afterwards to attend to pressing dinosaur related matters. Recently these matters had been keeping Dr. Koplowitz and XERRD busy too.XERRD’s reputation following the war had been tepid. To spite the integrity of its new leader the organization still was viewed with an incredible amount of distrust. Dr. Cyborg had worked hard to change the image of the group but the populous was skeptical. It was them that started the Dino attack in the first place and it was founded almost entirely by power hungry mad-men. Solomon regretfully had been included in that category. Although Cyborg had disposed of many of the unsavory members some still hid their presence. In the last few mouths Cyborg had been working to fix the origination’s inner workings while Solomon had been working to fix its image.Saying ether task was essay would be a lie. They had experienced both mixed success. Dr. Cyborg, Solomon had discovered, was extremely efficient at running a company. Much of XERRD’s past activities had been reworked into more benign endeavors. The investigation of mutation department had been shut down and the entire board of directors had been replaced. Some villains remained and continued to cause trouble but Dr. Cyborg was braking ground and making progress.Solomon was having less success. Minifigures could certainly move on with their lives but they were also capable of holding a grudge. The war with the Mealstrom was still going on in other parts of the galaxy and many were too distracted to open their hearts to reaccept XERRD. The events of the dino attack where still fresh in their minds and convincing them to accept an old enemy as a friend was incredibly difficult.XERRD was doing marvelous work in the world now. Although Cyborg was still busy fighting dangers within the group he was still able to assist Captain Ace Speedman in his Atlantis exploration and Sensei Wu in Ninjago.Meanwhile, aliens on earth were complicating matters. It seemed every year some new apocalyptic threat would threaten the planet. Bluetooth had reorganized a fraction of the Dino attack to combat that threat while Hertz had taken another fraction to track the dinosours that had eluded capture in the months following the war.Under the leadership of Dr. Cyborg, XERRD had developed a mass produced cure for the maelstrom. This green goo like substance had been installed in tranquilizers and distributed to various units across the globe. At last check, roughly 70% of mutant dinosaurs on earth had been cured. Now, the reminder of Dr. Rex’s army roomed the earth as natural dinosaurs.Unfortunately, these natural dinosaurs continued to cause trouble. Hertz, David Norman, and Reptile had theorized that they were bonding together into a single coherent heard and developing a nest somewhere in the jungle. Catching this remnant promised to become a serious problem in the future. Hertz had made it an utmost priority to locate the nest.It was a shame that his nuptial had to be put on hold became of his work. With both the alien conquest and Mealstroms activity in space everyone was busy.The people where facile, how strange it was that good deeds could be forgotten well grudges could remain. He worried about Dr. Cybrog, XERRD was doing such great work but few recognized it. The doctor did not deserve blame for the problems he inherited.“Mind if I join you Solomon?”The philosopher looked up to see the familiar half-face of Dr. Cyborg. The doctor’s left robotic eye shifted back and forth across Nimbus station before he settled down beside his colleague. Dr. Cyborg had adopted a leather jacket which he now wore over his mechanical body. He also had acquired a pair of tan khakis to appear more casual. His continued to ware his orange helmet but considering some of the other denizens of Lego universe it was far from obtrusive.“What brings you to Nimbus station Dr. Cyrista?” inquired Solomon. “I thought you had business in Lego City.”Cyborg adjusted the collar of his jacket as he leaned back. His cybernetic eye shifted as he gazed up at the nebula above. “Bluetooth can deal with the alien conquest when I’m away. I have some experiments to conduct near Crux. Some samples need to be taken of the Mealstrom to measure its growth.”“Nexus force can handle that work,” responded Solomon. “They have near unlimited resources. I would say that XERRD has other priorities.”“Like what?” inquired Dr. Cyborg. “This is what XERRD was originally founded to do. We’re more equipped to deal with the Mealstrom then Paradox.”“It’s not about capabilities Matthew, it’s about image.” Solomon said. “Some might not be so thrilled to see XERRD engaging in these sciences so soon after the Dino Attack. You need to ensure that all of the dangerous scientists are rooted out before you start with Mealstrom work again. If they still have a presence, their malicious influence will spread like a cancer.”“Honestly Solomon, when will you start to take my word on this?” groaned Dr. Cyborg as he rolled his eye. “I’ve conducted extensive inquiries on our current members. I’ve conducted interviews and background checks. I can assure you that any of Dr. Rex’s influence now is negligible. I’m keeping an eye on our members and I trust most of them.”“Most of them?” asked Solomn. “Do you realize what chaos a single mad scientist could create? XERRD’s image would go backwards and escaping from that negativity will be impossible. We can’t make the people trust us, XERRD has to go slowly. Charging into more Mealstrom research is not the answer.”“Well what do you recommend?” demanded Cyborg. “Just sit around and gather dust? We’re not going to make any difference when all we do is paper work. We need to do something to redeem ourselves!”“Dr. Cyrista, I respect you idealism but must say you are a naïve gentlemen,” sighed the doctor. “People are petty. Sure, they will celebrate the heroes but only until the next incident makes them forget. It’s been six months now and focus is now on the new heroes. There is an end-of-the-word incident every year Matthew. Yes, the Dino team saved the planet but their names will be replaced with the heroes of ADU in no time. Then, once there heroics become obsolete the names of next year’s stars will be shouted in the streets. This is the world we live in Matthew, give the people a show and you will be raised on a pedestal only as long as you are never overshadowed by the present.“Villainy is something else entirely,” Continued the philosopher, “Heroes cycle threw our memory while villains remain. It’s easier to hold a grudge then a debt. Years from now, what people will remember about the Dino attack will be the mutants, not the heroes.”“I don’t believe that.” chuckled Dr. Cyborg. “For all your sentiments of honor and integrity you’re certainly a glass-half-empty kind of guy.”“Ernest Hemingway once wrote.” Said Solomon. “The world is a wonderful place and worth fighting for. I believe in the second part.”“Wow, Solomon. I’ve met a lot of cynics on the team. Pharisee and Dust included. I can’t believe you’re on that list too.”“There is a difference between realism and cynicism Matthew.” Said Solomon “I’m a philosopher. I’ve spent my life pondering the principles of humanity. People are not quite bad but more often than not they will make the wrong choices. Inspiration for good is a bright burning flame that burns out quickly. I’m only afraid that with all your idealism you’ll be let down.”“I have faith that XERRD will get approval one day.” Said Dr. Cyborg. “Once the alien conquest is over, and as long as stray dinosaur activity does not increase on earth, XERRD can be what it needs to be.”“I hope catching the rest of the dinosaurs does not prove too difficult,” muttered Solomon. “I trust those who are still working on the cleanup will be able to handle them.”“We worked with great guys during the war. Even if catching those dinos is taking longer than anticipated we’re going to make an impression soon.” Dr. Cyborg gestured to the katana resting on Dr. Koplowitz’s lap. “Why do you have your sword with you Solomon?”Solomon appeared distant as he looked down at the blade resting on his lap. “I’ve been a warrior for too long Matthew. I’m tired of all the fighting. I’m tired of being asked to decide the lives of others.”Solomon drew the sword from its sheath with sharp hiss. The thin blade slid out elegantly and sparkled under the light of the Nimbus nebula. Dr. Cyborg observed how the pristine blade had become tarnished by various dents and dings. To spite the grace of the weapon it was still only metal.Solomon ran his finger along the blade of the katana. It was rough and bent and he cut his finger on its edge.“I’m done with the violence Matthew. Since the ninja wars I’ve been a knight in soar armor. I was an idealist once but since my life as a warrior I’ve lost that optimism I once had.” Solomon turned to Dr. Cyborg. “That not the philosophy I want. I know people are good; you and Rex are evidence of that. I just can’t continue to strive for that ideal when I continue to wield this weapon.”Before Dr. Cyborg could stop him Solomon snapped the sword over his knee. He held the two halves in hand and chuckled. “I’m free to pounder the mysteries of life now. No longer will I be preoccupied with petty disputes or trivial conflicts. I want to dedicate myself to more meaningful pursuits.”He took the fragments and tossed them skyward. The unique gravity of the world caught hold of the pieces and they drifted into orbit. Solomon and Dr. Cyborg watched as they floated toward the nebula visible in the sky above them and disappeared into space.“That’s surprisingly easy to do here.” Muttered Solomon as then vanished from sight.“Didn’t you steel that sword from Fullmetal’s locker?” remarked Dr. Cyborg as he raised an eyebrow.“Oh, you’re right, I did.” He frowned. “Well if we ever hear from Fullmetal again, and he wants his old sword, I’ll be sure to get him a new one.”Dr. Cyborg chuckled. “Well I’m happy for you Solomon. I’m glad you got that off your chest. You spent a lot of the war lamenting about stuff so now you can have a more positive outlook.”“I’ll need it too.” Said Solomon, “I have a press conference in ten minutes, I need to represent XERRD in a damages hearing. The company still has collateral to pay.”“Oh yes, bureaucrats and the press.” Said Dr. Cyborg with detest. “Sometimes they are more terrifying then mutant dinosaurs.”“You have your own work Dr. Cyborg. I suppose we’re both going to need the luck.”Solomon took the doctor’s hand. “It’s been a pleasure working with you over the last few mouths Matthew. We’ll both have our work cut out for us but I’m sure but we’ll come out on top at the end.”“I don’t care about coming out on top.” Smiled Dr. Cyborg. “I just care about coming out in one piece.”“Those are wise words Matthew, wise words.” Solomon Koplowitz chuckled. “Maybe you’re deeper then people give you credit for.”Cyborg winked. “I try”The two doctors picked up their suit cases. Shaking hands one last time, they parted ways and headed in opposite sides of the plaza to their respective launch ports. It was true, a lot of work still needed to be done. With no more signs of war, Solomon and Dr. Cyborg had all the time in the world to make XERRD the noble beacon it needed to be.OoC:So that was my second to last post. Following this will be a post about Naomi and Hertz and concluding the story of Lutsky. It should tie up all my loose ends.You may have noticed I've been eluding to Dino 2012. It was originally meant to be a sequel RPG but I've realized I just don't have the time to continue with that. I plain to convert the story points into a miniseries that I'll post on DivientART. avmatoran expressed interest in it so I'll be happy to colaberate with him once this all ends.My next post will be my last offical iC, I'll probably post a few OoCs after that but I don't intend to start anymore stories. I might post a teaser for the Dino 2012 story but don't expect anything. If anyone wants to follow that, DeviantART will be the place to read it.On the topic of star wars. I am absolutely a star wars nerd. I've been reading every article about episode VII I can find because I'm very exsited about the new movie. I think it will be great and I can't wait to find out the plot. Star wars is absolutely superior to 2001: A space odyssey. period.This is probably a subject that would better be continued in the official topic. You'll find I'm very opinionated on the subject. :P

Edited by that guy from that show

That is all

On the topic of star wars. I am absolutely a star wars nerd. I've been reading every article about episode VII I can find because I'm very exsited about the new movie. I think it will be great and I can wait to find out the plot. Star wars is absolutely superior to 2001: A space odyssey. period.
OOC: At least Kubrick actually made an effort to get an understanding of how space actually worked. George Lucas didn't even try for the basics, believe me I've compiled a long list of problems with the science in Star Wars, but to name a few specifically:
  • Sound in space: Why do sci-fi films never learn? Sound does not travel through space. Space is silent! 2001 got that right and so did Firefly. George Lucas, learn from those examples!
  • Space combat does not work like that: Every space battle in the film plays out like their in airplanes rather than in spaceships. The characters seem to think they can only move on a horizontal plane like they're being controlled by some form of gravity- true with the death star you could argue that they were reluctant to do any crazy aerial acrobatics under the risk of becomming disoriented and crashing, but in space there's no real up, down, left and right. You can go any which way you want- you can go up while still going forward (up being relative to a nearby ship).
  • ASTEROID FIELDS DON'T WORK LIKE THAT: In Episode V Han tries to steer the Mellenium Falcon through an asteroid field believing it will make it harder for the Empire to catch up. Little known fact: actual asteroid fields are ridiculously easy to navigate- the asteroids themselves can be miles apart, there's really very little risk unless you're deliberately trying to crash.
  • Complete ignorance of Einstein's theory of relativity: This theory (which is generally accepted by the scientific community) basically says that going at the speed of light (and yes, they do explicitly say "light speed") makes time slow down within the vessel. To put it simply, in the time it took for Han to get to Alderaan, the entire Empire should have died of old age. This is especially frustrating to me because they really could have resolved this whole thing with a single line. It could just be like:

Han: We need to fix the hyper booster.Leia: The what?Han: It makes sure we get back to base before the entire rebel alliance dies of old age.You see? Simple, and it would have addressed the issue and explained why- because there is a special technology designed to keep light speed travellers in real time. You don't have to go into the ins and outs of its components and how it works, just explain what it does. Star Trek at least tried to get around this with the idea of Warp Drive, Star Wars doesn't even bother.

• Lack of Microgravity: Okay, yes, maybe the Star Destroyers do have some form of highly-advanced artificial gravity, but the crew of the Millenium Falcon could at least bring it up once in a while. And how the heck do they have artificial gravity without a centrifuge or constant accelleration?
  • Galactic Conversations: It normally takes at least two hours just for a transmission to get through the Solar System. What makes you think we can have conversations on opposite ends of a galaxy in real-time.

This actually brings me to another strange point I started thinking of lately which is the constant complaints of Midichlorians. Come on, give George Lucas some credit here- sure Phantom Menace was as bad as the rest of the series but at least here he tried to explain something. Sure, it might not have been a good explanation but given how insanely baffling the rest of the logic is in this universe I'm willing to count that for something.This of course brings me to that idea for a mass sci-fi crossover fanfic I've been meaning to write that would pick up right at the ending of Prometheus, and would feature and awesome scene where Arnold Rimmer gets attacked by a facehugger-like creature and Luke Skywalker tries to cut if off with his lightsaber only to get sprayed by acid and fall face-first into black goo that mutates his flesh. Then he gets burned alive by Dallas from Alien with a flamethrower, and it's all thanks to Chiana who being the mischievous little Nebari she is deliberately ignored Shaw's warnings not to go into the room with the black goo. Thank you Chiana.And now, with that out of the way, I guess I can make a post. That Guy's last IC got me thinking about the Maelstrom cure. He claims it was mass-produced by XERRD but I don't quite believe that given the people who made it really only have a basic prototype that still needs a lot of work (unless XERRD is still shady as ever, and THE MAELSTROM ANTIDOTE IS PEOPLE!)IC: Dr. Fuchs slowly stepped into the conference room, a couple of binders tucked under his arm. Another group of scientists were sitting there, interested in what he had to say."Gentlemen," Fuchs said slowly as he sat down. "During this war, I have had the chance to possibly make a discovery that will change our outlook on the world."Fuchs opened one of the binders and presented it to the scientists. "I have found a cure to the Maelstrom.""You did?" Said one man, a tall, thin dark-haired scientist."Indeed I did, Dr. Bowman." replied Fuchs. "With some assistance. The initial formula was originally created by another man, a fellow by the name of J.D. I believe. Unfortunately he died before we could get access to his notes. He was killed by a Stromling.""So how does this cure work?" Asked a blond-haired woman."It still needs some work, Dr. Arroway," replied Fuchs. "But I've had a chance to examine a Stromling specimen, and what we found was that their primary weakness was imagination.""Imagination?" Dr. Bowman asked."There is a problem," Fuchs continued. "As of now we have only found one sufficient source of imagination to expel the Maelstrom from a person's body.""And what is that?" Asked Dr. Arroway."A creative spark," replied Fuchs. The other scientists acted in disgust."I don't like it either," replied Fuchs. "If it's of any help both were dying and gave up their spark voluntarily.""So how do we replicate this?" Asked another scientist. "At the moment, Dr. Lowell, I'm not totally sure," replied Fuchs.Arroway was about to get up when Dr. Bowman interjected. "Now let's not be too hasty," he said. "Obviously we can't go around murdering people and extracting their creative sparks, but perhaps there's a way to synthesize a similar effect.""You think that's possible?" Asked Dr. Arroway."I don't know," replied Dr. Bowman. "What do you think Dr. Lowell?""It's difficult to say for sure," replied Dr. Lowell. "But I do think we should at least try.""Alright," replied Dr. Bowman. "I'm in.""You can count me in too," replied Dr. Lowell."I guess I'm with you as well," replied Dr. Arroway."Excellent," replied Fuchs. "If you would proceed with me to the lab, Dr. Strangebrick will show you what we have so far."

OOC: (essay on unrealisticness of Star Wars)
OOC: Sweet Lincoln's Mullet, Atton.I get your point, you don't like a lack of realism in stories. I understand that, but let me ask you this: Is it absolutely necessary that every story must stick to realism?Star Wars doesn't try to be realistic simply because it doesn't give a care. Nobody wants to hear about how sound isn't possible in space or conversations would take light years. Most people, prequel haters and lovers alike, only care about fun space battles, Jedi fights, and semi-decent dialouge & creative ideas. Heck, one of the big reasons people hate the midichlorians is because it seems to try to explain the Force, in part, in a realistic manner. They hate that and want the "good old days" when it was a mysterious magic that only wise old men could fully get. It's not sensible for your kind of hard sci-fi, like 2001, but people like it anyways, because realism isn't a concern for them.To be honest, I think your concerns about realism have been a bit of a burden on your story here in the RPG. You had a bit of trouble wrapping your head around the Maelstrom temple, you preferred the fine particulars of how Outpost 4's radio was replaced after its sabotage, you were unable to let disbelief to be suspended enough for Pierce to let Vinyaya go after her injury, and you couldn't believe a World Made of LEGO could be exempt from the realities of post-grand-scale disaster recovery.I understand you have preferences, but realize that they can't quite apply everywhere. You have to let suspension of disbelief be applied more, trust in the MST3K Mantra without feeling the need to actually give an explanation for how he eats and breathes and other science facts. Simply put, hang loose, have fun with it, and treat your settings more like the way you treat your characters. Edited by Andrewnuva199

Your Honor, I Plead the Fifth.

I really need to handle my signature problems better.

On the topic of star wars. I am absolutely a star wars nerd. I've been reading every article about episode VII I can find because I'm very exsited about the new movie. I think it will be great and I can wait to find out the plot. Star wars is absolutely superior to 2001: A space odyssey. period.
OOC: At least Kubrick actually made an effort to get an understanding of how space actually worked. George Lucas didn't even try for the basics, believe me I've compiled a long list of problems with the science in Star Wars, but to name a few specifically:
  • Sound in space: Why do sci-fi films never learn? Sound does not travel through space. Space is silent! 2001 got that right and so did Firefly. George Lucas, learn from those examples!
  • Space combat does not work like that: Every space battle in the film plays out like their in airplanes rather than in spaceships. The characters seem to think they can only move on a horizontal plane like they're being controlled by some form of gravity- true with the death star you could argue that they were reluctant to do any crazy aerial acrobatics under the risk of becomming disoriented and crashing, but in space there's no real up, down, left and right. You can go any which way you want- you can go up while still going forward (up being relative to a nearby ship).
  • ASTEROID FIELDS DON'T WORK LIKE THAT: In Episode V Han tries to steer the Mellenium Falcon through an asteroid field believing it will make it harder for the Empire to catch up. Little known fact: actual asteroid fields are ridiculously easy to navigate- the asteroids themselves can be miles apart, there's really very little risk unless you're deliberately trying to crash.
  • Complete ignorance of Einstein's theory of relativity: This theory (which is generally accepted by the scientific community) basically says that going at the speed of light (and yes, they do explicitly say "light speed") makes time slow down within the vessel. To put it simply, in the time it took for Han to get to Alderaan, the entire Empire should have died of old age. This is especially frustrating to me because they really could have resolved this whole thing with a single line. It could just be like:

Han: We need to fix the hyper booster.Leia: The what?Han: It makes sure we get back to base before the entire rebel alliance dies of old age.You see? Simple, and it would have addressed the issue and explained why- because there is a special technology designed to keep light speed travellers in real time. You don't have to go into the ins and outs of its components and how it works, just explain what it does. Star Trek at least tried to get around this with the idea of Warp Drive, Star Wars doesn't even bother.

• Lack of Microgravity: Okay, yes, maybe the Star Destroyers do have some form of highly-advanced artificial gravity, but the crew of the Millenium Falcon could at least bring it up once in a while. And how the heck do they have artificial gravity without a centrifuge or constant accelleration?
  • Galactic Conversations: It normally takes at least two hours just for a transmission to get through the Solar System. What makes you think we can have conversations on opposite ends of a galaxy in real-time.

This actually brings me to another strange point I started thinking of lately which is the constant complaints of Midichlorians. Come on, give George Lucas some credit here- sure Phantom Menace was as bad as the rest of the series but at least here he tried to explain something. Sure, it might not have been a good explanation but given how insanely baffling the rest of the logic is in this universe I'm willing to count that for something.This of course brings me to that idea for a mass sci-fi crossover fanfic I've been meaning to write that would pick up right at the ending of Prometheus, and would feature and awesome scene where Arnold Rimmer gets attacked by a facehugger-like creature and Luke Skywalker tries to cut if off with his lightsaber only to get sprayed by acid and fall face-first into black goo that mutates his flesh. Then he gets burned alive by Dallas from Alien with a flamethrower, and it's all thanks to Chiana who being the mischievous little Nebari she is deliberately ignored Shaw's warnings not to go into the room with the black goo. Thank you Chiana.And now, with that out of the way, I guess I can make a post. That Guy's last IC got me thinking about the Maelstrom cure. He claims it was mass-produced by XERRD but I don't quite believe that given the people who made it really only have a basic prototype that still needs a lot of work (unless XERRD is still shady as ever, and THE MAELSTROM ANTIDOTE IS PEOPLE!)

OoC:LOL at the Soylent Green refference.Let me start by admitting that 2001 has star wars beaten when it comes to science. However, accurate science does not a good a great movie make. I'm not denying that 2001 is a thought provoking feature and it is a decent movie in itself. However, it has plenty of flaws that can not be overlooked.
  • It not a matter of accuracy. It's a matter of story telling and overall quality. The most glaring flaw with 2001 is the lack of coherent story. The movie lacks a overarching conflict and is never resolved. I'm a fan of cerebral movies that don't particularly make sense. LOST is full of symbolism and confusing elements. I don't necessarily mind that the movie does not answer all the questions. The problem lies in how it does not answer the questions. The conflict of the movie vanishes immediately after HAL is deactivated. Once that is resolved the audience has no reason to care what happens to Bowmen. Even the conflict with HAL (Which is great) distracts from the "plot." in the middle of the movie you forget the whole "reason" why they are on the exploration in the first place. The story of the monolith is fine and the conflict with HAL is fine but when they have no connection with each other that is not fine. The story is not even introduced until after a lengthy sequence with apes that is both boring and irreverent.
  • 2001 also lacks any strong characters. Bowmen really has no motivation. Unlike star wars, 2001 lacks an audience syndicate which the audience can grow attached to. After HAL is defeated we should expect some sort of falling action. Instead we are treated to a ten minute acid sequence that has no lead in and no explanation. Unlike star wars which has plenty of memorable characters, the only way to describe Dave is "human." Allow me to compare it to the dark knight in that regard. After the Joker is captured, the movie goer expects the plot to wind down. Instead it continues with Two-Face and the audience is shifting in their seats. Like 2001, the Dark knight is a long movie with two plots. The difference is that they connect with each other, are interesting, and there is something at stake.

Yes, 2001 was groundbreaking, So was star wars. They both utilized incredible special effects and both had an epic quality to them. Even though star wars lacked any form scientific credit it has a story that beats 2001 by a land slide. The star wars movies have just as much symbolism as 2001 has. There are plenty of themes that have stood the the test of time and continue to have an impact on the culture. IMDb has 2001 listed as the 94th greatest movie of all time. Star wars is up at 16. This is not because star wars is accurate. This is because star wars is fun to watch, easy to understand, and has stories and characters that are unforgettable.This really sould not be discussed in this topic.Obligitory mention of Lego and Mutant Dinosaurs.

Edited by that guy from that show

That is all

OOC:Alright. That got out of hand. Sorry for really mentioning it.Also, you'll notice the cure is only applied to Mutant Dinos. At a glance, it appears of more of an anti-Mutant Dino serum than a Maelstrom cure.Other than that, excellent post that guy. I feel that you stayed true to my imagining of Dr. Cyborg. Great. Just great.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

(Literally, it means "For knowledge", but it can be taken as "For science")

The most glaring flaw with 2001 is the lack of coherent story.
You ever heard of David Lynch? Renowned well-respected surrealist director. Go watch Eraserhead, Lost Highway, and Mulholland Drive and then tell me 2001 has no coherent narrative.The fact of the matter is that 2001 has a very unusual structure. It doesn't need an overarching conflict because it's not supposed to be just one narrative or the story of one character- it's a story about it's themes- exploration, discovery, future technology, human evolution, artificial intelligence, the possibility and incomprehensibility of extraterrestrial life. In effect it's not the story of one character but an epic about mankind as a whole, about where we came from and where we'll go. Meanwhile Star Wars is an epic about... a couple people battling against an empire that apparently has the worst soldiers in the universe since despite all their training they cannot hit them at close range even when the protagonists should be severely outnumbered (come on, that's the one detail everybody's made fun of). Yeah, the Empire kinda brought it on themselves.The incomprehensibility of 2001 is what makes it work so dang well. There are explanations for what happens at the end but the film doesn't feel the need to spell out every detail for you. Instead it uses music and visuals to create the atmosphere and lets you observe the world it creates for yourself. And of course the aliens don't make any sense. They're aliens. To be honest I quite like an alien that is so... alien. That was actually why I really liked Farscape, since in spite of the humanoid female lead (and even that is actually explained eventually) and some of the supporting characters they actually did frequently manage to bring in a host of creative and unusual creatures that actually seemed like aliens. What actually scares me about the Thing is that it's an alien so... well, alien, that it actually could plausibly exist somewhere in the universe. Contact was another one that did a really good job exploring the idea of extraterrestrial life without ever showing the aliens.And that is why I've considered writing a fanfic where Luke Skywalker gets his face sprayed with acid while Dave Bowman gets out without a scratch. I've also had this one idea for a TF2 fanfic where Pyro is unmasked and revealed to be the most beautiful woman in the world but also the most insane, and then there was and idea I had for a sequel to my sequel to The Thing.But you're right, that's enough of that. I gotta go figure out a way to do the Shaw/Pharisee conversation I set up so it doesn't end abruptly since you've apparently decided not to do anything with it.

OOC: that guy, I object to your assertion that 2001 has no sympathetic characters. HAL 9000 is incredibly sympathetic once you realize why he did what he did.Also, Atton, I was going to point out that the realism in 2001 is not what makes it good, but you seem to have covered that fairly well in your latest post. :P However:

Meanwhile Star Wars is an epic about... a couple people battling against an empire that apparently has the worst soldiers in the universe since despite all their training they cannot hit them at close range even when the protagonists should be severely outnumbered
Again, Star Wars is the archetypal Hero's Journey that we've had since the mythology of ancient Greece, and even before. They took an old, unquestioned formula and re-thought it, giving it a new perspective by means of a fantastic setting. With all your deconstructions and re-imaginings, I'd thought you would appreciate something like that.Oh, and that guy, that was an awesome conclusion for Solomon. You're building up so much potential, your Hertz/Naomi post better not disappoint. :PI'm going to do my best to get my final IC finished by the end of this next weekend. Edited by Jackson Lake

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

IC:As Dr. Cyborg was wandering around, running tests on his new visor, a man came up to him."Hello, I'm Samuel Piaker. I'm an author writing a novel on the Dino Attack. An agent told me you could give me an interesting perspective on the Dino Attack. Do you know why he said that?""Yes, I do. For the most of the Dino Attack, I was actually a member of XERRD. The last week of November, I deserted XERRD because I felt I could not go along with their work anymore. Dr. Rex sent a pack of Mutant Raptors after me to kill me. However, they failed and I was only critically injured. Somebody found me and rebuilt me as a cyborg. I found a one-use Teleport Pad left here by XERRD, and I warped to Adventurer's Island, the current mission at that time. I served in various missions, regaining most of my memories, and I led a team of agents for most of this battle, until I was re-invited into XERRD as second-in-command. I regained all of my memories at that point, and accepted. I helped repair the Einstein Device and extracted Elite Agent Rex's Creative Spark to deposit inside the Einstein Device as a power source. After the battle, I helped hunt down the previous leader of XERRD who had gone rogue. I took care of some arrangements regarding XERRD's future a couple of days ago, and now I am here. I'm pretty sure you're not gonna need that last bit, though.""Thank you anyways, you'll make at least one good chapter!" the author said as he walked away.OOC:Way shorter than it originally was, but I couldn't remember what else I had in there.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

OOC:Well, welcome back, anyways! Yep, too late to join back, but view us anyways! Hey, question, since you are objective, and I've joined since you quit: What do you think of my character and stories?

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

OOC: Avmatoran, I do think I remember you joining a while back. Did you also join the Alpha Team RP that PBS made?Also, Cohrii, This is the name I plan to keep for a long time, seeing as I've been using it for several years now. Just not on BZP. Heck, I've been on and off this SITE almost steady since about 07-08ish.

Edited by Zephyria

OOC:I almost have the Cyrista's Bane theme video made and posted on *ERROR: UNMENTIONABLE VIDEO SITE*. I'll probably have it done tomorrow.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

OOC: Holy crimminy this is still alive and kicking. As it's FAR too close to the end for me to actually participate again (Darned laptop broke shortly after I was going to re-join) I won't be joining. I will be watching the end, though.
OOC: Oh my, another oldtimer!Don't know if you remember me- I believe I remember you, though. I'm pretty sure we shared at least one period of activity back in the day.
current_events_sigbanner.png

OOC: Holy crimminy this is still alive and kicking. As it's FAR too close to the end for me to actually participate again (Darned laptop broke shortly after I was going to re-join) I won't be joining. I will be watching the end, though.
OOC: Oh my, another oldtimer!Don't know if you remember me- I believe I remember you, though. I'm pretty sure we shared at least one period of activity back in the day.
OOC: I remember you, Mate. I forget what character you used, but I do remember you.

OOC: avmatorn- Yes, Germany exists. Frank Einstein is from there, I think.Zephyria- He was Magma, and then later Reptile.I can still probably have my post up by tonight if we define "tonight" as "before Jacks sleeps again." Under those circumstances, I'll certainly finish writing it, but I may wait until I am more alert and rested to proofread it. Soon though I swear.

Edited by Jackson Lake

bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

OOC: So apparently my promises mean nothing.Real life keeps sucker-punching me, so I'm just going to wait until I'm home for Thanksgiving before finishing and posting my final IC. Sorry to keep taunting you guys with it, but at least now I know I can get it done in that time.EDIT: Also, we've now managed to drag out this thread for six months! Woohoo! XD

Edited by Jackson Lake

bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

OOC: So apparently my promises mean nothing.Real life keeps sucker-punching me, so I'm just going to wait until I'm home for Thanksgiving before finishing and posting my final IC. Sorry to keep taunting you guys with it, but at least now I know I can get it done in that time.EDIT: Also, we've now managed to drag out this thread for six months! Woohoo! XD
OoC:Haha, at least I'm not the only one holding out now. In my case it's college applications and a literary analysis of the works of Issac Asimov.I'll post my last post when I post my last post I suppose. :P

That is all

OOC:

Haha, at least I'm not the only one holding out now. In my case it's college applications...
You should consider doing what I did -- stress the heck out for months on end because you can't decide on a college, then in March discover an obscure little state school that nobody has never heard of, apply late there because why not, visit and fall in love with it, and then tear up your original list :P
...and a literary analysis of the works of Issac Asimov.
Better him than Clarke. I wrote a term paper on Clarke in eleventh grade, and the more I read and researched, the less I liked him. By the end of it I was no longer a Clarke fan. X)

bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

Can I join the club? A combination of school, writer's block, and a desire for this not to end are all conspiring against me. Like that guy, I'll post when I post - no promises!

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

OOC: Isaac and Clarke. The two people that contributed to Isaac Clarke's name. That's pretty much all I know about them, despite being a senior in High School.
OOC: I don't know much about Asimov, but Clarke was a really good writer. He's the ultimate role model of what a good sci-fi author should be, and living proof that you can in fact make a realistic story interesting.

OOC:While I don't know who Clarke is, I do know Isaac Asimov was a renowned science fiction writer, and I'm only in 9th grade. I could be wrong about Asimov, though.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

OOC:While I don't know who Clarke is, I do know Isaac Asimov was a renowned science fiction writer, and I'm only in 9th grade. I could be wrong about Asimov, though.
Well, I'm no expert, but usually Asimov is listed among the big sci-fi writers, along with Clarke, Jules Verne, and H.G. Wells.You could also try H.P. Lovecraft- he wrote a lot of weird messed-up cosmic horror studies, typically involving one or more characters searching for answers only to encounter ancient extraterrestrial/dimensional beings so incomprehensible that anyone who confronts them is driven mad (if they're lucky) and the idea that humanity is insignificant in regards to the rest of the cosmos.

Well, I'm no expert, but usually Asimov is listed among the big sci-fi writers, along with Clarke, Jules Verne, and H.G. Wells.You could also try H.P. Lovecraft- he wrote a lot of weird messed-up cosmic horror studies, typically involving one or more characters searching for answers only to encounter ancient extraterrestrial/dimensional beings so incomprehensible that anyone who confronts them is driven mad (if they're lucky) and the idea that humanity is insignificant in regards to the rest of the cosmos.
Awwww yeeee Lovecraft.

OOC:

I don't know much about Asimov, but Clarke was a really good writer. He's the ultimate role model of what a good sci-fi author should be, and living proof that you can in fact make a realistic story interesting.
I might have to disagree; while he is certainly an epitome of hard sci-fi in particular, I definitely would not call him an "ultimate role model." His plots tended to be rather weak; almost every single one was artifact-driven rather than character-driven. In the sole exception that I know of, A Fall of Moondust, every single character was just an archetype, so while the story was gripping, there was nothing innovative about it.Let no mistake be made: it was Kubrick, not Clarke, who was responsible for the magnificence of 2001.Asimov, on the other hand, I cannot recommend highly enough. Granted, he sometimes strays into softer sci-fi -- I'd say he's the midpoint between Clarke and Bradbury -- but his plots and characters are, in my opinion, superior to Clarke's. Edited by Jackson Lake

bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

OOC:
I don't know much about Asimov, but Clarke was a really good writer. He's the ultimate role model of what a good sci-fi author should be, and living proof that you can in fact make a realistic story interesting.
I might have to disagree; while he is certainly an epitome of hard sci-fi in particular, I definitely would not call him an "ultimate role model." His plots tended to be rather weak; almost every single one was artifact-driven rather than character-driven. In the sole exception that I know of, A Fall of Moondust, every single character was just an archetype, so while the story was gripping, there was nothing innovative about it.Let no mistake be made: it was Kubrick, not Clarke, who was responsible for the magnificence of 2001.Asimov, on the other hand, I cannot recommend highly enough. Granted, he sometimes strays into softer sci-fi -- I'd say he's the midpoint between Clarke and Bradbury -- but his plots and characters are, in my opinion, superior to Clarke's.
Actually, Clarke contributed a lot to 2001- he was practically Kubrick's right hand man and was largely responsible for ensuring the film's scientific accuracy (he had access to NASA labs). Kubrick was just really good at implementing the information Clarke gave him. In fact Clarke even remarked that one of the film's few mistakes (Bowman holding his breath before jumping out of the airlock- which is the worst thing you can do) only happened because he wasn't on set at the time. And to be fair there's no denying his use of description is often incredible (try Rendezvous with Rama or even the novel of 2001).And yes, I guess you could call Lovecraft someone who's work you can read if you want to feel depressed or scared, given his stories generally end with either one or more people going insane (if they're lucky), or (worst case scenario) they show symptoms of the Lovecraftian compulsion to keep writing even as one is being devoured (basically the story ends with the protagonist's untimely demise, usually at the hands of some sort of monster). Of course there's no denying his work was jnfluential, though- it more or less inspired half of John Carpenter's work, including The Thing (in part anyway- though there is some pretty strong evidence the story it was based on was inspired by At the Mountains of Madness- given it was published in the same magazine only two years later), Prince of Darkness, and his sadly-underrated Lovecraftian tribute In The Mouth of Madness.

OOC:I actually went into ultimate sarcasm mode there. I think I have actually read Department 19. Isn't that the book with the vampire hunter organization that is unofficially called Blacklight, they use some UV weapons, and one of the characters is a descendant of Frankenstein's monster?

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

OOC:

Actually, Clarke contributed a lot to 2001- he was practically Kubrick's right hand man and was largely responsible for ensuring the film's scientific accuracy (he had access to NASA labs). Kubrick was just really good at implementing the information Clarke gave him. In fact Clarke even remarked that one of the film's few mistakes (Bowman holding his breath before jumping out of the airlock- which is the worst thing you can do) only happened because he wasn't on set at the time. And to be fair there's no denying his use of description is often incredible (try Rendezvous with Rama or even the novel of 2001).
Mmm, not really. You're overstating his influence in 2001. Yes, he was consulted for realism, but as I've mentioned before, the realism is not what makes 2001 an amazing film. Clarke was not a right-hand man, but rather Kubrick's unknowing lackey; he basically wrote the novel based on mere glimpses of the parts of the screenplay that Kubrick allowed him to see, thereby creating a work of pure sci-fi to distract everyone from the rest of the narratives Kubrick placed in the film. When you really delve into it, the novel and the film are essentially separate.I have already read the novels you recommend, and more. Rendezvous with Rama is the very quintessence of my earlier argument -- that Clarke simply could not craft character-driven stories. The 'plot' was simply a sequence of events relating to Rama itself. Yes, it was an incredible world that he created, but was it necessary to write an entire novel just to show it off? The same effect could be achieved simply by drawing blueprints and composing technical notes. In any case, for that reason -- in addition to at least one passage that I found painfully sexist -- I have no desire to read Rendezvous again, as interesting as the world of Rama was. And desire to re-read is one of my primary criteria for a good book.Incidentally, here is the source for my information on 2001. The stuff about Clarke starts around part 9, if I recall correctly, but I highly recommend you read the entire thing if you;ve got the time, because it's really really fascinating.EDIT: Actually, the explanation of Clarke's involvement comes at the very beginning. My bad.Also, good call, TC01. Had I thought of that I would have started a COT thread myself. Edited by Jackson Lake

bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

Asimov, on the other hand, I cannot recommend highly enough. Granted, he sometimes strays into softer sci-fi -- I'd say he's the midpoint between Clarke and Bradbury -- but his plots and characters are, in my opinion, superior to Clarke's.
OOC: I would agree- I like Asimov a lot. As... "hard sci-fi" writers go, he's one of the ones I find actually enjoyable to read. I'd use more words to explain this, but I agree with pretty much everything Jackson's said so far. :PThen again, I don't actually like most "classic" hard science fiction writers at all. I prefer people like Neal Stephenson (especially Anathem), or perhaps Jack McDevitt or Joe Haldeman. That's probably because I don't want my science (or perhaps "speculative") fiction to be realistic, I want it to make me think. And no offense, but Clark simply doesn't engage me intellectually.Might I suggest that we take this conversation to a thread in COT, though? This is still an RPG- in theory anyway.
OOC:
Haha, at least I'm not the only one holding out now. In my case it's college applications...
You should consider doing what I did -- stress the heck out for months on end because you can't decide on a college, then in March discover an obscure little state school that nobody has never heard of, apply late there because why not, visit and fall in love with it, and then tear up your original list :P
Or... you could do what one of my friends did, which was to start all of his applications around 7 or 8 PM the day they were due, and be frantically editing his 100 to 200 word responses around 11 PM (with some help from me and others).Impressively, he got into some rather decent colleges. :P

OOC:What do you mean, in theory?On another note, I'll have next week off from school so I might be able to make another Backpost of Doom.On yet another note, after reviewing the final battle, I realized that the music from the Iron Man 3 trailer, just before the missiles shoot at Stark's house, or at least the part I'm thinking of, fits wonderfully with the posts where Amanda, Trouble and Glados die.

Edited by avmatoran

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

OOC:What do you mean, in theory?
OOC: Well, a: it's almost over and pretty much awaiting us to wrap up what's left of our respective storylines to be finished, and b: It was some sarcastic commentary at the way there hadn't been an IC for a week or so and the thread had been taken over by this OOC debate on science fiction. ;)