Bionicle Fighter: Broken Virtues

Katuko

The shields are about the size Kopaka's was, but I agree that they look more like a buckler than a shield per se. That said, the other shield sprites I've used so far should appear large enough. In-game the hit masks will be made to shield you well enough regardless of the actual sprite, though.

The shields are about the size Kopaka's was, but I agree that they look more like a buckler than a shield per se. That said, the other shield sprites I've used so far should appear large enough. In-game the hit masks will be made to shield you well enough regardless of the actual sprite, though.

so when it looks like your rahkshi foe decapitated you, instead it blunts off your shield.xD

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

your going to add ragdolls?Awesome! thats what i was hoping for!i like games where i get to kick ragdoll dead enemies into lava, off cliffs, into minefields, etc. :D

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Woah, there, mate, don't get too excited. Ragdolls are the most awesome way of rendering a corpse ever, but they are also a bit hard to program effectively enough to be used yet. I could probably plug in the GMPhysics DLL or something and have a ragdoll in no time, but I'm afraid that might open up a host of new problems I'm not prepared to handle yet, most likely lag. Yes: lag, that terrible buzzword.I want to have ragdolls, but I will not prioritize them over other gameplay elements such as shields and missing animations. Making one is sadly not as simple as just breaking the standard sprites into even more pieces, I need a whole bunch of new position calculation code as well.Otherwise they would be in from day one, of course. :D

Woah, there, mate, don't get too excited. Ragdolls are the most awesome way of rendering a corpse ever, but they are also a bit hard to program effectively enough to be used yet. I could probably plug in the GMPhysics DLL or something and have a ragdoll in no time, but I'm afraid that might open up a host of new problems I'm not prepared to handle yet, most likely lag. Yes: lag, that terrible buzzword.I want to have ragdolls, but I will not prioritize them over other gameplay elements such as shields and missing animations. Making one is sadly not as simple as just breaking the standard sprites into even more pieces, I need a whole bunch of new position calculation code as well.Otherwise they would be in from day one, of course. :biggrin:

Lag? With a 2D physics engine? Just don't sync the ragdoll effect across network clients, and you'll be fine, trust me.

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Lag? With a 2D physics engine? Just don't sync the ragdoll effect across network clients, and you'll be fine, trust me.

Game Maker isn't known for speed.

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

Yes, I'm more concerned with Game Maker's position and collision checking than I am with the ragdoll itself. :)Especially considering all the stuff this engine already checks for every single step.

Edited by Katuko

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing at all, really. Any gameplay mechanic I've come up with for it so far is either overpowered, too complicated or useless. I'm likely to scrap it entirely.In other news: bots now have the ability to use most Kanohi powers. I'm also still working on animations for shields and new attacks (instead of just stab-stab-stab). I have no idea when they will be done.Also: makuta_matoran_stand.png makuta_toa_stand_v2.png

Edited by Katuko

Makuta is a boss, so he's expected to be powerful. As I will be programming him and not letting players abuse his versatility, I can also easily put restraints on how powers are used. Implementing each power is simple, as I can copy/paste most of them from the already written Rahkshi scripts.The real hard part is making the sprites for him, really.

as I can copy/paste most of them from the already written Rahkshi scripts.

Be careful - copy-pasting code verbatim is bad 99% of the time. I suggest finding a way to reuse your already-existing code instead.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

as I can copy/paste most of them from the already written Rahkshi scripts.

Be careful - copy-pasting code verbatim is bad 99% of the time. I suggest finding a way to reuse your already-existing code instead.
Game Maker Language has no better way to reuse code (IIRC no functions, let alone objects!).

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

Frankly, I don't think GML deserves to be called a programming language if that's the case.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Now you two are assuming. And we know what happens when we assume, don't we?Scripts are Game Maker's "functions". You write a script, and then you call that script whenever you need to. You can plug in variable values via arguments, and you can have the script return a value to you. I don't know how objects are handled in other programs, but Game Maker is an object-based program.Game Maker is written in Delphi, IIRC. It has a number of pre-programmed actions in "drag-and-drop" icons used for beginners; but also the GML scripting. GML includes a bunch of functions, but since those are essentially written in Delphi and then restructured for "GML", I agree that GML is a "second-level" language. That is, it's not as "pure" as C, Delphi, Python, etc are by themselves.The end result is a program that is rather easy to use, but also allows great flexibility for veterans. I know several of the regulars over at Game Maker's forums say they use Game Maker instead of, say, C, because it's easier to get something decent out of it quickly. The main problem is speed of execution, a certain lack of functions that may be deemed essential by some, and a bloated file size (2 MB) due to the runner needing to be included with each game. With support for DLLs written in other languages, that speed is its only real disadvantage. I heard they were going to rewrite the program in C or something, dunno if that will be done.They also recently released a version that can create HTML5-compatible games, so that's something as well.Now get back on topic.

Edited by Katuko

I don't know how objects are handled in other programs, but Game Maker is an object-based program.

*bangs hands on table**point*Objection!That is not what alpha123 mean by object-based - he meant GML was not an OO (object-oriented) programming language in any sense of the word. And he's right: Functional decomposition - the ability to have separate reusable parts of a program that can be called/used from other parts of a program - at the file level does not qualify a language for OO status. While I will retract my statement of "GML doesn't deserve to be called a programming language", because it is technically Turing-complete, I will maintain that it is significantly weaker as a language compared to practically everything else out there - even assembly has multiple subroutines per file!I could start ranting about how GML doesn't have custom datatypes (let alone decent built-in ones), no OpenGL support, no arrays of arrays, and so on, but this is enough for now.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

I could start ranting about how GML doesn't have custom datatypes (let alone decent built-in ones), no OpenGL support, no arrays of arrays, and so on, but this is enough for now.

I could start ranting about how Python doesn't have macros, multiple return values, multimethods, tail call optimization...It's the Blub Paradox. Google it.Back to the topic: Since the Lightning absorb power turns off machinery in the area (and doesn't say unavailable by it, so I'm assuming that it's implemented), shouldn't it disable the Exo-Toa?

Muffin button

Just downloaded 9.1, and I have to say, its pretty fun. I messed around with single player for a while. Decent game, but the bots could be a bit easier, or only one at a time, but the same health and stuff as the player. Something like that.Overall, solid game. I'll be sticking with this one. Can't wait for multiplayer!

"The moral of the story is, I chose a half measure when I should have gone all the way. I'll never make that mistake again. No more half measures Walter."

Bots vary in difficulty based on your loadout, really. I'm working on balancing everything, but for now explosive powers (like fireball and fragmentation) generally work great at killing bots. In a pinch you can also hover off a ledge and they will jump after you. :PThey already have the same health and powers. No bot will be more powerful than a player. The only thing that might fool you is armor: I haven't added the sprite overlays yet, so someone might have damage resistance you can't see without a Rode.

I remember this! I remember suggesting Story mode, and Vahki! I even remember getting the idea for someone to make a comic.I downloaded the new version and finally beat the fire Exo-Toa (I actually only had to kill one Exo-Toa because the bots took care of the others). Anyway, can't wait for next update, hopefully Multiplayer will come soon.

My name was Z, Got wounded, put my mind in a Vahki and switched my name to Reptor, edited my model into a Matoran friendly one, changed my name to Reppy Tor, Got wanted in three cities, Then they said I could be anything I wanted, became a Shape-shifter named Pony Hank. I am Pipped

This is a game. A story mode would be cool. A comic would be neat (I would volunteer here). However, this games' focus is multiplayer combat with BIONICLE powers. Sort of like in Bionifight, we'll be beating the #### out of people, only more realisticly.The bots killed two exo Toa? Cool!Anyone having trouble with staying against bots should go god mode and edit their text files. If you open the file "characters" and open yours with a word processor, you can give yourself unlimited stats. Well, 1,000,000 DEX freezes the game...

Edited by kanohi_master

Yeah, I got a similar response the first time I suggested those things.

My name was Z, Got wounded, put my mind in a Vahki and switched my name to Reptor, edited my model into a Matoran friendly one, changed my name to Reppy Tor, Got wanted in three cities, Then they said I could be anything I wanted, became a Shape-shifter named Pony Hank. I am Pipped