The Legend Of Zelda

PowerMiner

@ckmc:Well, I ordered mine on the 2nd of October with 2-Day shipping...it ain't coming UPS today though, since the UPS guy already came said sans game. =P

Generation reeeeeeeeeeeee: If you see this, don't copy it into your signature. Get off your computer. Go outside! Go for a walk! Appreciate the beauty of the world while you're young and energetic and full of unwarranted enthusiasm. 

The control scheme is taking a little while for me to get used to, but I'm sure I enjoy it once I've used it more. However, I'm extremely disappointed that there's no "switch" option for Z-targeting. Seems to me it would be even more useful in SS than in past games since it would make it easier to attack an enemy who only lets his guard down for a brief moment, but no.Anyway, I just got to the Sealed Grounds for the first time. I really hope they don't overuse dowsing... I know already that you need to use it to access both the first and second dungeons, as well as to search for Zelda at other times...Also, I'm sure the plot will be great, but from the menus I can already predict the basic arc: First there's three dungeons in which you find the stone tablets to put in the sword chamber and unlock new areas. (As evidenced by the fact that there's three open spaces by the first tablet) Then there's the turning point of the story. (As is usually the case when you switch which quest items you're trying to find). Then you find the three pearls of the goddesses from WW and use them to upgrade the Goddess Sword to the Master Sword. (As evidenced by the outlines of the pearls around the sword on the equipment screen).:t::b::3:

Q2TtLEz.png

Since Wind Waker was the first Zelda I played, I loved seeing those same outlines be filled and finding the answer to my constantly wondering, "What the heck is that for? And that?"As a slightly-more seasoned player, now though, I actually kind of laugh at those same menus. It's kind of like guessing who will die in a horror movie for me.That aside, from what I've heard (and you've probably heard the same rumors :lol:) that sounds pretty accurate. However, if anybody has made it to that point, I'd like to ask that if you choose to tell us how correct he is (big if), you utilize spoiler tags when you do so. :D

Lacertus

YES...game gets overnight shipping, will arrive tomorrow. :)It's time.The game...is coming.Anyone else liking what they see in terms of bosses for the game? ...I've spoiled the whole game bar puzzles and a few characters. :P

Generation reeeeeeeeeeeee: If you see this, don't copy it into your signature. Get off your computer. Go outside! Go for a walk! Appreciate the beauty of the world while you're young and energetic and full of unwarranted enthusiasm. 

The control scheme is taking a little while for me to get used to, but I'm sure I enjoy it once I've used it more. However, I'm extremely disappointed that there's no "switch" option for Z-targeting. Seems to me it would be even more useful in SS than in past games since it would make it easier to attack an enemy who only lets his guard down for a brief moment, but no.Anyway, I just got to the Sealed Grounds for the first time. I really hope they don't overuse dowsing... I know already that you need to use it to access both the first and second dungeons, as well as to search for Zelda at other times...Also, I'm sure the plot will be great, but from the menus I can already predict the basic arc: First there's three dungeons in which you find the stone tablets to put in the sword chamber and unlock new areas. (As evidenced by the fact that there's three open spaces by the first tablet) Then there's the turning point of the story. (As is usually the case when you switch which quest items you're trying to find). Then you find the three pearls of the goddesses from WW and use them to upgrade the Goddess Sword to the Master Sword. (As evidenced by the outlines of the pearls around the sword on the equipment screen). :t: :b: :3:

Dosing isn't ever actually required. You can find everything in the game by exploring, Dowsing just points you in the right direction if you need it.I've got to say, I've barely gotten through this game, only on the third dungeon, and this game is already my favourite Zelda, hands down. In particular, Lanayru has been an amazing place to explore, and is remarkably unique for a Zelda game. Can't wait for the Silent Realm, and I'm honestly amazed that at this point in the story, I still don't have the harp.Did anybody else notice that Gratitude Crystals are Star Bits from Mario Galaxy?

um_banner.gif

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."

-Douglas Adams

Also, I'm sure the plot will be great, but from the menus I can already predict the basic arc: First there's three dungeons in which you find the stone tablets to put in the sword chamber and unlock new areas. (As evidenced by the fact that there's three open spaces by the first tablet) Then there's the turning point of the story. (As is usually the case when you switch which quest items you're trying to find). Then you find the three pearls of the goddesses from WW and use them to upgrade the Goddess Sword to the Master Sword. (As evidenced by the outlines of the pearls around the sword on the equipment screen). :t: :b: :3:

Not quite. Potentially big spoilers ahead, but a lot of it's deduced from trailers:

There are actually only three tablets, the last one you get is after the Earth Temple. There's actually a somewhat minor plot twist here, as you finally catch up to Zelda only to discover that Impa doesn't consider Link to be the true hero of legend and takes Zelda to Lanayru Desert. From the trailers, it's pretty easy to see that Link meets up with Zelda and Impa again at the Temple of Time, only to be attacked by Ghirahim. Link gets the harp here and I'm thinking that's when he goes to the next three dungeons to retrieve the Sacred Flames, which power up the Master Sword. Then there will be something else to collect, of which there are apparently five.

p

I'm having a bit of trouble with the sword controls not properly responding to my gestures. This happens most often when I'm swinging from right to left. Anyone else having this trouble? Am I just not used to making the required motion yet?One thing I always find frustrating at the beginning of any Zelda game is that I want to explore and do sidequests right away, but am unable to due to lack of equipment. It's irritating to spend an hour or two combing an area as best you can to find all secrets and sidequests, only to be unable to complete most of the sidequests and unable to recover most of the secrets. Then you forget where everything is and repeat the process all over again when you have more items. But I guess that's what I get for being thorough.Current SS status: I just got the slingshot and entered Deep Woods.:t::b::3:

Q2TtLEz.png

One thing I always find frustrating at the beginning of any Zelda game is that I want to explore and do sidequests right away, but am unable to due to lack of equipment. It's irritating to spend an hour or two combing an area as best you can to find all secrets and sidequests, only to be unable to complete most of the sidequests and unable to recover most of the secrets. Then you forget where everything is and repeat the process all over again when you have more items. But I guess that's what I get for being thorough.Current SS status: I just got the slingshot and entered Deep Woods. :t: :b: :3:

You know, there is a Piece of Heart you can pick up in Faron Woods. Not sure if you spotted that, but it's about as close to a secret/sidequest as you can get right now.

p

You know, there is a Piece of Heart you can pick up in Faron Woods. Not sure if you spotted that, but it's about as close to a secret/sidequest as you can get right now.

I currently have three heart pieces:

• [*]From swinging on a vine in Faron Woods.[*]From using a sword beam on a box and opening the treasure chest.[*]From breaking the chandelier in the pumpkin restaurant place. By the way, do you know if it's possible to get this one with the beetle?

Current SS status: In the Skyview Temple. I couldn't play today because I was in LEGOLand, so I'll have to play extra tomorrow to make up for lost time. :P:t::b::3:

Edited by Toa Balta #3

Q2TtLEz.png

I currently have three heart pieces:
  • [*]From swinging on a vine in Faron Woods.[*]From using a sword beam on a box and opening the treasure chest.[*]From breaking the chandelier in the pumpkin restaurant place. By the way, do you know if it's possible to get this one with the beetle?

Current SS status: In the Skyview Temple. I couldn't play today because I was in LEGOLand, so I'll have to play extra tomorrow to make up for lost time. :P :t: :b: :3:

You MUST break the chandelier, it's part of a sidequest.

um_banner.gif

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."

-Douglas Adams

I've tried getting a Piece of Heart with the Beetle; it just bounces off.Anyway, just got to the fourth dungeon(Ancient Cistern) today, but haven't actually started yet. The story has developed quite a bit by this point, and I like where it's going. It's really starting to mess with the traditional formula they've been using in OoT, TP, etc. which is a welcome change in my book.

p

So, I need some advice from people who have played a bit of Skyward Sword.On the one hand, I have it and it's sitting on the table downstairs.On the other though, my Wii is hooked up to an ancient, 20", 4:3, standard resolution, CRT box of horror and sadness. And since I have Ocarina Of Tiem in a handheld now, I'm willing to spend a few hours sitting out in line to get a nice new $200 HDTV to replace it.I just keep feeling like with the time that's been taken in making this game, playing it on that archaic tiny little thing won't do the game justice. Am I right here, should I punch myself in the gut and wait a week?

It's playable on a CRT, I should know, but... If you don't switch to 'Widescreen', it's likely gonna be in Letterbox for the entire game. I was kinda disappointed at that, as it's weird... Switching to 'Widescreen' like I did put it to Fullscreen. xD

Well, I'm now the proud owner of the Limited Edition SS Package, and I'm beyond impressed. The orchestra CD is incredible, and the game itself is fantastic so far. The characters are engaging, the scenery enchanting, and the controls are nearly flawless. I've only just beaten the first dungeon and I think it's safe to say this game is easily the best Zelda since Wind Waker. If what I've heard about the quality improving as you progress through the game is true, it might just dethrone WW as my favorite LoZ adventure!

It's the best since Wind Waker; that's for certain. I liked Twilight Princess; but this is definitely miles better. MILES. Definitely different in certain parts, but most of the differences are for the better. =)

I tried somethng like that once, and ended up trying to play as far away from the television as possible.Although the awful glare from a nearby window might have had something to do with it as well... Regardless...Aaaah! My precious Wind Waker, usurped?! It can't be! Dare I say it, inconceivable! :lol:Actually, I'd love it if Skyward Sword was really that good. It feels like ages since I've had such a rewarding experince...

It is. I've been playing Wind Waker for the last little while to boot, so...

The control scheme is taking a little while for me to get used to, but I'm sure I enjoy it once I've used it more. However, I'm extremely disappointed that there's no "switch" option for Z-targeting. Seems to me it would be even more useful in SS than in past games since it would make it easier to attack an enemy who only lets his guard down for a brief moment, but no.Anyway, I just got to the Sealed Grounds for the first time. I really hope they don't overuse dowsing... I know already that you need to use it to access both the first and second dungeons, as well as to search for Zelda at other times...Also, I'm sure the plot will be great, but from the menus I can already predict the basic arc: First there's three dungeons in which you find the stone tablets to put in the sword chamber and unlock new areas. (As evidenced by the fact that there's three open spaces by the first tablet) Then there's the turning point of the story. (As is usually the case when you switch which quest items you're trying to find). Then you find the three pearls of the goddesses from WW and use them to upgrade the Goddess Sword to the Master Sword. (As evidenced by the outlines of the pearls around the sword on the equipment screen). :t: :b: :3:

There are indeed tablets; three in total, the one you get from Fi, the one from Skyview Temple, and one from Earth Temple. Then you go and make your way to the turning point, as you say; however... It's not the pearls. However, you're correct in that the usage of those items are for improving the sword. After that, not sure, I've only gotten the second of those items, and I have to wait until Monday to finish the dungeon I'm on to get the third item and get the Master Sword. =)

Dosing isn't ever actually required. You can find everything in the game by exploring, Dowsing just points you in the right direction if you need it.I've got to say, I've barely gotten through this game, only on the third dungeon, and this game is already my favourite Zelda, hands down. In particular, Lanayru has been an amazing place to explore, and is remarkably unique for a Zelda game. Can't wait for the Silent Realm, and I'm honestly amazed that at this point in the story, I still don't have the harp.Did anybody else notice that Gratitude Crystals are Star Bits from Mario Galaxy?

You get it right after the Lanayru dungeon. =P

I noticed Gratitude Crystals were Star Bits the moment I saw one. xDAs for my thoughts... Amazing. Dethroned OoT, Wind Waker, and any other game I thought was best, hands down. Combat? Excellent. Story? More plot twists that I've seen than you can shake a stick at. Fantastic. Environment? It definitely surprised me more than a couple times.

Dungeons? They're very good. I was kinda disappointed there were only one-floor-dungeons for the first section... But then it became a case of 'careful what you wish for', as the fourth dungeon had like 4 floors. xD Nothing like OoT's dungeons in terms of the number of floors, but very complicated. I was stuck in one room of the sixth dungeon for like an hour, and then a second room for even longer. Though in retrospect, both solutions were kinda, you know, obvious. Especially for the first one, if you were experimenting against Pumpkins.

Now, the rest. This will have spoilers about stuff, but since I haven't beaten the game, it's only up to a certain point, as I'm only about to partway through Dungeon number 6.

Okay. So I still have no clue how Lanayru is supposed to go from a desert to the flourishing water-filled lake and everything that it becomes in the future... Though maybe Lake Floria has something to do with that. It does explain Gerudo Desert, though.Then there's the Flames. First one was awesome, and getting the Goddess Longsword was very cool. Then came the miraculous appearance of the Triforce Symbol on the back of Link's hand. My reaction then was 'Wait, what, huh? 0_____o'; as I figured it had been split again. Then a second symbol appeared after getting the second flame and Goddess White Longsword. Then I realized what was going on, though if it's correct, I'm not sure yet.I'm honestly convinced that the Temple of Time is actually the Temple of Time and Space. xD I mean seriously! It's gone from Lanayru Province(Since this is canonically first), to Hyrule Castle Town, to Faron Woods. And the Lanayru one is certainly the correct spot, since it's not truly 'complete', since the place is in ruins.(And technically that was even before Ghirahim got there...)Also, while I'm on the subject; what's up with the Gate of Time? I couldn't place it at first, but the one in the Temple of Time looked a lot like the Mirror of Twilight! What with it's fancy rings of light. Plus, I also noticed it's what's on the cover, which intrigues me, and makes me realize it'll be very important, even more important than the game implies.Curious about more about what's going on, but at the same time, I don't really want to spoil myself about future stuff past the dungeon I'm on now... I've made it this far without huge spoilers, and nearly ruined it last night as I tried to find the solution(without a Sheikah Stone) to the fake wall puzzle last night.(Obviosuly it was a bomb. I should've known that, but at 10 PM, you're not really thinking, especially if you've run out of bombs. =P) Gonna catch up on stuff I skipped over earlier, due to spoilers, however.

Split your final save file. It will be very clear to you when you're being given the opportunity to save your progress for the last time. Multiple characters will bend over backward to tell you that you're about to go to the point of no return. Not only should you save at that moment, but then back out of the game and copy your save file to one of the game's spare save slots (three in all). That will allow you to go back, should you want to do more sidequests.

Does this mean that you won't be able to go back and finish sidequests etc. after beating the game? That's lame.Current SS status: Just beat Skyview Temple. :t: :b: :3: Edited by Toa Balta #3

Q2TtLEz.png

Maybe it's a case of something like they do in the Megaman Battle Network series? Once you get to a certain point, it's more or less a fight to the finish? Otherwise, it doesn't make much sense. However, I'm not really certain of that, as it's simply a guess. It's not like Nintendo to force you to do that... I'll keep that in mind, however.

Alright. And yeah, that's almost guaranteed. =P I have tons of time to; but I can't play it at all until Monday... No access to the Wii. =/ So, there's a small chance that you could pass me in the time it takes... However... Given that it took me like 5 and a half days to beat about the same amount of dungeons, also putting in almost 50 hours of playtime in total... I'm kinda doubting it. This game is easily the longest Zelda game in existence... And I'm enjoying every minute. =D

I think you might be able to go back to do most of them any time once they're unlocked. However, I'm not certain of that, as I've been doing all I can the moment they're unlocked. All that I can find, that is.

There are split path quests, however, and one big example of that involves an old... Err... Older variant of an 'old friend'... Rather... Err.... Well; let's put it this way; it's an old friend to us, but since this is canonically the first game in the series... Ah, you get what I mean.

I just have to say that the fight with three Stalfos when you revisit the Skyview Temple is SO MUCH FUN! It was actually pretty challenging(I had to use a potion for the first time), which really gets me pumped to see how the boss fights develop as you progress through the game.

Not really a big spoiler, but you might not want to look unless you're on the fourth dungeon or further.

Edited by Zakann The Diabolical

p

Yeah, that certainly was a challenge. I tried a bomb, like in the old games, but that, err, just made them annoyed. =P I got through that battle with more or less luck and hope. xD The next Stal-fight is harder, though, simply because of how it happens. =/ I liked how they brought back earlier monsters in the Faron Woods and Lanayru Province, though. First time I was getting a bad feeling as I approached that door, thinking something would happen; which was proven. =P Second time, in Lanayru, caught me off guard though. Was not expecting that thing. Fell much faster, though. =P

PowerMiner: Well... It's hard to explain without spoiling anything. You'll understand exactly what I'm talking about once you reach one of the side-quests.

Yeah, that certainly was a challenge. I tried a bomb, like in the old games, but that, err, just made them annoyed. =P I got through that battle with more or less luck and hope. xD The next Stal-fight is harder, though, simply because of how it happens. =/ I liked how they brought back earlier monsters in the Faron Woods and Lanayru Province, though. First time I was getting a bad feeling as I approached that door, thinking something would happen; which was proven. =P Second time, in Lanayru, caught me off guard though. Was not expecting that thing. Fell much faster, though. =P

PowerMiner: Well... It's hard to explain without spoiling anything. You'll understand exactly what I'm talking about once you reach one of the side-quests.

Dude... Im still waiting for my game to arrive from amazon. :P~PowerMiner~

Yeah; that was one of the hardest dungeons I've seen so far. Timeshift Crystals alone wouldn't be too bad, as that's a cool concept. But, then there's also the new electricity element. *Slashes at a Bokoblin the wrong way or gets hit by a Beamos* Guh-guh-guh-guh-guh... *Tries to attack but gets hit again* *Same result*And then there's those Sentrobes... Didn't know how to defeat it until I used a Sheikah Stone. =P