Ultimatum Poll: Last Chance

Ultimatum Poll: Last Chance  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

ultimatum.png

Vote here for your favorite Ultimatum story; entries have been randomized. Please MAKE SURE YOU READ ALL ENTRIES BEFORE VOTING.Voting begins now and will end on June 9th at 11:59 PM EST. Entries that do well will move on to the Ultimatum Final Poll, which will be posted at the conclusion of the 12th round preliminary poll.

• [*]Finality ••••• “You have died,” the creature said. There was an odd air about it. It’s face was that of woman, and its body was also rather feminine, aside from being rather muscular. However, her legs were double-jointed, covered in pure white feathers, or at least the portions showing that weren’t under her robe were. She had two massive wings protruding from her back. “I’m dead, okay...” responded Jerome, “But... who are you?” “You are alive,” said the... Harpy? That was Jerome’s best guess. She wasn’t exactly like one, and in fact a few features were quite distinctly different. Still, that was what he would call her. “Um... what?” “You are dead, you are alive. Is that difficult for your mortal brain to comprehend?” she asked, cocking her head to one side, looking rather concerned, as a child would look at a baby animal that he thought he might have just injured. “No, no... But how can I be alive and dead? I was stabbed in the gut and...” he trailed off, looking at his torso. There were the three stab wounds, a dagger left in the highest. He silently reached up to his neck and felt the entry and exit points of a bullet. So when you were dead, you still had wounds, but didn’t feel pa– Burning, slicing, tearing agony ripped through his body. Jerome collapsed to the pure white floor on nothingness. The Harpy-creature stood there staring, an odd smile curving her lips. “Then you wish?” He could barely pant out, “What... do you... mean? Why am I... AAGH! Why am I... feeling pain after death?!” “Then you do not,” she said, the maddening gaze still locked upon his own. She spread her arms, and the pain eased. “How did you just do that? Why don’t I feel the pain anymore? Where the heck are we, and who are you?” asked Jerome desperately, quickly shifting his eyes from his wounds to the being. “I am what I am, and this is the place where we are. I am taking you where you wish to go.” “I want... I want to go to heaven... If that’s what you mean. Heaven exists, right? Are you an angel, coming to take me there?” “I am what I am, and I am taking you where you wish to go,” she said, closing her arms. “You seem to be set on where you want to go, so we shall leave immediately.” “But... I really am dead? That’s it? I can’t do anything else? I got killed doing my job, and I can’t do anything else?” “I will take you where you wish to go. Willpower being what it is, you decide your fate.” “Can I... go back? Can I live after that? Am I still alive on earth, suffering my wounds?” he asked, trying not to grimace as the pain crept back into his body. “You wish what you wish, I am yours to command,” she answered, fully closing her arms again. Her smile never wavered. “Then... take me back to earth, to–Argh! It hurts!” “Then you wish not?” “No... I want to live... Agh, it hurts so much!” “This will last. It is not just for returning.” “Ugh... that doesn’t matter... Just... take me... home,” was the last thing Jerome said before collapsing. -----[*]This One Thing Simon couldn't believe what he was hearing. “What are you getting me into?” “It's simple. Just go to this address at this time. Tell 'em you know me, they'll let you in. From there it's easy.” Dan explained. “Look, you're a good friend and you've helped me out loads,” said Simon nervously. “I mean, I'd probably be on the street if it weren't for you, but just turn up at some random address and then, what? If you're trying to drag me into some- some illegal underground, thing, there's no way I'm doing it. No way.” “Really Simon,” Dan smiled. “I wouldn't go and do that now, would I? Just go to this address, tomorrow, ten pm. Everything will be just fine.” Simon still wasn't happy. “You're insane. I ain't gonna do this just cos you tell me to. Tell me what this is about!” Dan sighed. He casually drew out a cigarette and lit it, inhaling deeply. “I didn't wanna do this, but seems you've left me no choice. That money I send you? It stops, unless you do this one thing. No more help, no more support, nothing. Understand?” “But- look, I can't just-” “Yes. You can.” Dan turned, taking his hat from the table as he went. “Now I'll leave you to think about it. But if you want anything from me, you'll do it. That's the deal.” Simon sank into a chair. Dan was right. He couldn't manage without him. Simon buried his face in his hands, dreading what the next day would bring.

The address was a surprisingly large house in a well built-up area of town. Simon cautiously approached the door, shaking beneath his coat. He just wanted to turn and run. To be anywhere else but here. He knocked. A few seconds later, the door opened an inch. A sliver of a face appeared in the crack, a narrowed eye staring out at him. “Yes?” “I- uh, Dan sent me,” Simon stammered, sweating in the cold air. The voice grunted and the door closed. A few seconds passed, and it opened again. A figure in dark jeans and a hood ushered him in. The door shut loudly behind him. The hooded figure ushered him towards a room on his left. Simon moved towards it. He grasped clumsily at the handle, his fingers scraping round the smooth edges. Finally he got a decent grip. Trembling, he turned the handle. He pushed the door open inch by inch, not knowing what he would see on the other side. Behind the door was...darkness. No lights illuminated the room. He took a small step forward, then another. Light flooded his retinas. A sudden noise, dozens of voices, cascaded over his eardrums. He stumbled backwards, but his way was blocked by the hooded man. He stared up, pale-faced, into the man's eyes. “Dan?” He gasped. Dan grabbed him and spun him around. Simon's eyes widened in surprise. “It's not! You've got to be kidding!” Simon gaped. Dan burst into laughter. “Oh man, you have no idea how fun that little routine was! Been planning it for ages! You were hilarious! You actually thought I was trying to press you into some drug gang or something!” “But- it's not for three days!” “Well, yeah,” Dan shrugged. “Wouldn't be much of a surprise on the actual day. Come on everyone! Don't think Simon heard us last time. One, two, three-” “HAPPY BIRTHDAY!” ------[*]Super Guy’s Ultimatum Super Guy flew to the rooftop, where he found his arch enemy. He had fought off all Man of Badness’s henchmen, and was now after the mastermind. But he stopped in his tracks as he sighted the scene. Man of Badness was holding Super Guy’s girlfriend over the edge of the building. “Stop right there, Super Guy,” Man of Badness. “I have your girlfriend’s life in my hands, and if you want her to survive the night, you’ll do what I say. My escape helicopter is almost here, and if you react before it gets here, I’ll kill her. And that includes shooting me, because if you do, I’ll drop here.” He grinned. “You are at an ultimatum. You can either save her life, or you can try to stop me.” Super Guy frowned. “That’s the best you’ve got. Threatening my significant other.” “Um, yeah,” Man of Badness said with hesitation. “But it’s solid.” “But it’s totally cliché. Almost every villain does it against a hero at some point.” “Well, it totally works,” Man of Badness protested. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” “But it’s not too thought out either,” Super Guy pointed out. “You’re just going to drop her? And if you do off her, what’s to stop me from killing you next?” “Maybe I have other tricks up my sleeve that you don’t know about.” “If you had anything better, I’m sure you would’ve used that instead.” “It doesn’t matter, because it’ll work, and I’ll escape into the sunset.” “Except I can fly. I just wait until you board the helicopter, fly after you, and shoot you down a safe distance away from the city.” “Um… we’ll have more guns on the helicopter,” Man of Badness said. “And they have kryptonite bullets, which are your weakness.” “Nope, my weakness is actually arsenic. And to be fair, it’s also pretty lethal to most humans.” “Well, bullets will still slow you down.” “Eh, it doesn’t even matter,” Super Guy said. “I don’t even have to choose.” “What? Sure you do. Your girlfriend’s life is in your hands, and if you don’t do what I say, I’ll kill her.” “Yeah, you said that. But I don’t have to do anything and you’ll still lose.” “Oh yeah, and why is that?” “Because my girlfriend is actually a black belt in karate, and you have her in an improper choke hold.” “What?” Man of Badness said, puzzled. The girlfriend reacted, slipped out of the villain’s grip, grabbing his arm and swinging him around until his wrist was broken, and then kneed him in the gut. Man of Badness fell to the floor in a heap, defeated. The girlfriend looked sternly at Super Guy. “It’s about time; I’ve been waiting ages for you to rescue me. Why do I always have to play damsel in distress? Besides, this made me miss my palettes class. So I have an ultimatum for you; stop rescuing me from kidnappers and let me take care of them myself, or find yourself a new girlfriend. [*]Threat Bill stared at the strange figure in the street. It had been trying to get into his house for over half an hour. Bill wished he wasn't alone in the house. But his father was at work, and his mother and little sister had gone clothes shopping. She had worried at the time about leaving him alone, but he had assured her he would be fine. He'd changed his mind now. Sure, his family members would be back by night, but night seemed far away. Right now he was besieged by an unnatural figure. Its ordinary suburban surroundings seemed faded and insignificant beside it. It was perhaps seven feet tall, and glowed with a dazzling radiance. But perhaps most impressive fact was that Bill was evidently the only person around who saw it. Women gardening, children playing or riding their bikes, people walking dogs, obliviously continued their daily lives, some passing within inches of the figure. His blazing eyes locked on to Bill's, as the boy stared from his bedroom window into the street. "I know you hear me, Bill," his voice said clearly. "I speak with the mind, not the tongue. Answer." Bill answered, also in his mind. "What are you?" "That's not important," the voice assured him. "The important thing is, you refuse to let me in the house. I've called you, tried to get in-" "I noticed that," Bill said, trying to sound cool and unafraid. Just a glowing invisible telepath dude, that's all. Nothing to worry about. "The giant lightning bolts shot at the door were something of a giveaway. Not that they did any damage, oddly." "Let me in, Bill," the voice coaxed. "I need to come in. Your mother asked me to come and find something of hers." Bill snorted. "The only thing my mom told me about strangers coming to the door today was Don't let them in. Which she says every time she goes somewhere. Why should I believe you? Tell me what you want." "Let me in, child," the voice said, beginning to grow impatient. "The matter which brought me here is not one to be discussed in public. I must enter your house. I will enter your house." "Let me in." Bill stood, backing a pace from the window. He was remembering things his parents had told him before, when they had both had to leave at once. "Never let anyone - anyone - into the house when one of us isn't here. You'll be safe as long as you stay inside." "We have some valuable things in this house. Very valuable." And that very morning: "Promise you won't let anyone in while I'm gone, Bill, even if you know them. Promise." He'd always thought his parents were a little paranoid. But obviously they'd known more than he did. And apparently "valuable" meant more than he'd assumed. "No." "It wasn't a choice." The voice had grown angrier. "Let me in. Now." "Or?" Bill prompted. "I may not be able to enter the house, Bill, but I can destroy it." The figure was plainly enraged now. "And you with it." Bill took a deep breath. "Don't know if you're telling the truth or not, but I refuse. "Not letting you in. Sorry." The figure gave a scream of fury and - Disappeared Bill collapsed on his bed, trembling with relieved strain. He was going have a strange story - and a lot of questions - for his parents that night. But for now, only one thing mattered. The figure's ultimatum had just been a bluff, and he had successfully called it. ------[*]Crimes Against Humanity To Mr. Tabrantino You’ve been quite persistent with your efforts in resisting our offers. To some degree, I, and everyone working on the ‘shockwave’ project understands your reluctance. After having married, parented, and divorced, you feel like you’ve taken on a new, fresh life in your new career. Perhaps you seek to set a good example for your daughter? Well, Mr. Tabrantino, that is highly admirable. Nearly twenty years turned away from your life of crime, fourteen of those a parent. I can’t imagine the satisfaction of it all. Unfortunately Mr. Tabrantino, my accomplices and I are not particularly willing to give up such a useful resource. As you can guess with the number of attempted contacts we’ve made, you might say that we need you. Or at the very least, you could say that we’re willing to go to any and all possible measures to acquire you. See, there’s the subject of my message sir...we believe we’ve prepared an offer you will not so swiftly refuse. We have your daughter. It’s tragic of course; the thought of coming all this way for her, and now the concept that you must revert back to your old ways to save her. Nevertheless, you’ve made negotiations impossible up until this point, and now we have the better hand, you might say. It’s really quite simple. Join us, carry out the job, and your daughter may yet survive. You devoted your younger years to crumbling this Union that rules over us. Now the opportunity to do everything that you meant to twenty years ago springs up before you, and you remain content with piloting a freight craft. It’s just not the sort of attitude we like to support, Tabrantino. I’m sure you understand. The choice is yours. Choose wisely. Sincerely Mr. Brown “Interplanetary terrorist is revealed to have been blackmailed.” SBC News Sunday afternoon, Bureau of Justice slicers were revealed to have finally bypassed the security systems of a very well-known computer. This computer personally belonged to infamous terrorist Janos Tabrantino, best known for the Alexandria bombings six years ago. Files on this computer included a private messaging system, through which slicers were able to discover a shocking message to Tabrantino, in which it was revealed that the 45-year old man was in fact blackmailed into the terrible crimes by a third party. Messages indicate manipulation by a mysterious ‘Mr. Brown’ who forced him into the situation using his kidnapped daughter. Tabrantino had been contacted several times prior in demand of the same task, to which he had refused. The mysterious figure seemed to have known Tabrantino from other criminal activities during the man’s earlier years. The now 20 year old daughter of Tabrantino has been taken into custody, after having remained entirely silent about the incident for 6 years. Investigators suspect threats of violence were the woman to ever speak out about the hostage taking. For the subject of this ultimatum, this revelation comes too late. Had Tabrantino been imprisoned, the case would have likely been reopened, however the man did not survive his infamous bombings. Tabrantino was destroyed along with the cargo space vessel he had used by aerial police forces. ------

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

I went with 3. It seemed to best embody the theme, despite the fact it was more of a superhero parody than anything else.I haven't read my own entry (4) since I posted it, but I don't think I'm that happy with it. It was rushed.Anyway, may the best story win!-Excelsior

bannerwithstrangedevicesmall.jpg

My writings:

The Toa Ekara - Visions A short story. Ga-Koro Mobs My entry for the LSO Comedies Contest. Team Extempore's entry for the LSO Epics Contest

#3 was hilarious and I won't say it wasn't written well, but this isn't a comedy contest. #4 was my second choice, my first being #1.

From the desk of Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith :smilemirunu:

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?

I voted for #3. Close call between that and #5, though. Oh and I guess this poll is over, isn't it? Poll closed.newso1.png

Edited by Velox

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender