The World Ends With You

Anyone ever heard of it? It's a DS game that was released a few years back by Square-Enix, and though it didn't get much attention, it's a phenomenal game that takes full advantage of the DS hardware like nothing else. Since it's kind of obscure, there really hasn't been much done with it, until recently when a few of the characters were inserted into Kingdom Hearts 3D.The reason I bring this up now is because Square Enix just published a teaser site that is clearly TWEWY-themed, with a countdown that will expire next Monday. Anyone want to take a guess as to what they'll be announcing? Sure, there's the possibility of a new game, but it could be something else entirely.

I do hope it's a new game, I just want to be prepared in case it's not. Square just loves messing with us... :PIf it is a new game, what system do you think it'll be on? I would think the logical choice would be 3DS, but the Stride Cross Battle System could probably be tweaked to work on the Wii U. I dearly hope they'll be keeping the Stride Cross Battle System, at least.

The optimistic comments I've seen are suggesting TWEWY2.The pessimistic comments are running the gamut: tie-in manga, remix album, iPhone app, social app...Still, may as well have a little hope.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

That wouldn't actually be super surprising - I could see them using the back touch panel as part of a new battle system.Vita's not exactly a hot platform at the moment right now though.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

A manga was already made, and it wasn't very good. I dearly hope they're not doing that again...I also hope that they don't put a TWEWY game on Vita. The Stride Cross Battle System, difficult as it is, is a big part of what makes TWEWY so unique, and I would be sad to see it go.

Anything but a new sequel seems highly unlikely, and it not being on 3DS also seems highly unlikely. They wouldn't make a teaser site for something that isn't as big as a sequel (possibly an Anime, but that would seem pretty unlikely), plus we already got a Manga and a Remix Album.Anyways, we'll hopefully see it within a year, Squeenix has been pretty good about announcing games then globally releasing then within a year, recently. Most of the time.

I heard about it when it was released, saw the great reviews, meant to pick it up, but it really just fell off my radar. Since they included the characters in Kingdom Hearts 3D, and with a probable sequel on the way, I'm definitely going to have to try and snag a copy somewhere.Also lol at SE releasing timely games. I can see this becoming another Vs XIII, sadly.

I'd really doubt that this would be another Versus, as versus is on a scale probably larger than a regular FF game, plus they're putting all their effort into making Versus look amazingly stunning. XIII, Versus, Agito, and FFXHD (did they even start that yet?) are the only recent SE games (that I can think of) that have taken over a year, and those games were all massive compared to TWEWY. Aside from those, their releases have been pretty timely, there's been a new KH game every year since Re:CoM, FFXIII and FFXIV were released in the same year, and FFXIII-2 was released a little over half a year after it was announced.And, if it still uses sprites, they could easily (and quickly) put it together using the original's game engine.

I suppose if they use the same engine, it would be easy, but SE obviously has a penchant for rebuilding things whenever it suits their fancy =P. Regardless, I doubt it'll take too long to release... but it wouldn't surprise me either. It all really depends on how long they've been at work on this thing, or if it's a somewhat spontaneous resurrection of the title.

Yeah, and there's also gonna apparently going to be a new soundtrack, also completely separate from the countdown. If anything, it seems like they'd want to get the original into the hands of as many people as possible before they release the sequel, and past Squeenix iOS releases have been pretty good, but rather expensive for iOS games.Anyway, there are only two ports that Squeenix would probably tease anyways, Kingdom Hearts HD and FFXHD. And an iOS port is really not a super big deal, anyways.

Well, the iPod Touch could be held normally, the top half could be top screen, and the bottom half could be the bottom screen.Although its really not the best game to be controlled with your thumbs... And using both thumbs at different places while holding the iPod Touch vertically would cover half the screen or so.

Edited by III. Xaldin

Could be a revitalizing of the franchise, like an iOS game in addition to a full sequel, but SE does mobile games well enough, so I have confidence in that being pulled off.(plus, if they can port Kingdom Hearts: coded over to the DS, whatever this game is might see handheld release sometime in the future too.)

Edited by VIII. Axel

I'm just wondering how they'll fit dual-screen combat onto a phone screen, as the combat was the big thing that set it apart.Anyways, I could see the iOS port being rather expensive, as Final Fantasy Dimensions will be $29 when it launches on the app store...And, since the teaser site's clock is based off your computer's clock... You can set your computer to Sunday and see the updated page and listen to the last teaser remix, it's really cool.

Edited by III. Xaldin

And to think, all the other mixes were awesome.Anyways, I'm hoping that we can access the full page soon, I'm hoping for tomorrow, but I know it'll be up Sunday afternoon. I'm honestly super curious about everything, especially since the iOS port is only a drip of all the news.Maybe, in addition to the new album and port, we'll get a new game (although that's kinda obvious), a new manga, and an anime! Although the last two seem rather unlikely, they would still be pretty cool.

I would settle for a new game, but if I had to choose some extras, I would like some sort of ultimate data book to answer all our questions. I for one am curious to know a few entry fees that were never disclosed, plus a clearer explanation of exactly what happened at the end. Such a thing would also need to include all 22 Secret Reports, for obvious reasons.On a related note, spoilers for Secret Reports/Another Day:

While going back over the reports, I was reminded that Hanekoma had to down-tune his vibe to enter the UG. For some reason, I never before realized that this meant the level of strength he displayed as Panthera Cantus was only a fraction of what he can really do. Now I just feel horribly insignificant...

I'd LOVE a TWEWY Artbook, as I love artbooks in general (that's why I usually get limited editions of things when they have artbooks).Anyways, what I'd want in a TWEWY Artbook:Character designs for all characters (including unimportant NPCs)Area Art with comparisons to Real Shibuya (the comparisons online are pretty cool)All of CAT's graffiti, and possibly some that wasn't in-gamePin List with all pin designsNotes from the Game's Creators