Afterlife?

No, But I imagine the point he was trying to make was that if they have a conception of Ghosts, there is at least a superstition of some kind on SM. There is no explicit recording of spiritual beliefs there that we have seen, but for that sort of threat to have weight, or for that kind of diversion to work, there has to be the "dead spirits" conception behind the word "ghost".Also, note this. Even in an atheistic society where an afterlife is viewed with skeptical eyes, the dead are still honored in some way. Matoro, for instance, was honored and we have been given no particular religious belief to attach to Matoran Society (I think Greg at one time disavowed the idea that they thought of Mata Nui as a god). For all we know, their views of the afterlife are that the spirit fades away. That there is a concept of ghosts in at least one of the cultures kinda undermines that, however.
The fact that SM inhabitants believe in ghosts does not mean that the MU inhabitants believe in ghosts.
Hence "at least one of the cultures".I probably should have tightened my argument more. I meant to touch on the MU Inhabitants to show that we have seen an example of honoring the deceased (I don't know if there have been any examples seen on SM) while admitting the (obvious) lack of defined spirituality in the MU. I then meant to move back to SM and re-highlight that to have a concept of haunting ghosts, you have to have some kind of concept of the soul and the post-life existence thereof even if it is temporary and fading.The only way "ghost" has been largely used in the MU is to refer to something seen only fleetingly or that is hidden from view. The Keerahk-type Vahki and the Nynrah Ghosts come to mind immediately. Incoporeal spirits in the MU have only been users of the Iden as far as I remember, and spiritual imprints only on Kanohi (which, as has been said many times, is fading). Any further and we get into stuff we can't expect help from Greg on.The only example of a ghost in the same conceptual category as that mentioned by Mallum and Gresh is when the Toa Inika encountered Toa Lhikan's "ghost". While that was only an image, BS01 at least records it as them seeing his "ghost". Does anyone have that book and can shed some light on that passage?Anyway, yes. SM believing in ghosts doesn't necessarily translate to the MU. I simply didn't properly state my argument. Sorry
I think the Lhikan thing was an illusion created by the 777 stairs technological contraption thingys, not Lhikan's ghost. And no worries, just making sure that you were clear...

So there you have it, people. We don't discuss the BIONICLE afterlife.
Then what have we been doing this entire topic? :PBut really, I don't think LEGO put much effort into it. I think the closest they came was Karzahni/Artahka. And after that they just decided to ignore pretty much any remotely religious reference outside of the name "Great Spirit" for Mata Nui.
How well will you die?

I think the Lhikan thing was an illusion created by the 777 stairs technological contraption thingys, not Lhikan's ghost.And no worries, just making sure that you were clear...
Well, of course it was, but I was more interested in how exactly the Inika reacted. Did they immediately think "ooo nice hologram!" or "OMMN it's a GHOST!"? Edited by Zo'Tomana

~~-BS01 Histories-~~
by Zox Tomana, B.A. - Blog

I think the Lhikan thing was an illusion created by the 777 stairs technological contraption thingys, not Lhikan's ghost.And no worries, just making sure that you were clear...
Well, of course it was, but I was more interested in how exactly the Inika reacted. Did they immediately think "ooo nice hologram!" or "OMMN it's a GHOST!"?
From that section of that book that I remember, neither. They were skeptical of it, believing it to be an illusion.

Well, of course it was, but I was more interested in how exactly the Inika reacted. Did they immediately think "ooo nice hologram!" or "OMMN it's a GHOST!"?
From that section of that book that I remember, neither. They were skeptical of it, believing it to be an illusion.
Harummm, sounds like I need to actually edit something for once...

~~-BS01 Histories-~~
by Zox Tomana, B.A. - Blog

Really? Either I really should get those books, or you that have them really should add details like that to BS01. Both, probably.

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

Really? Either I really should get those books, or you that have them really should add details like that to BS01. Both, probably.
Yep, it's in there. Krika described it as a "Makuta legend" and it is essentially a system of karma (without reincarnation, I'm assuming) where, to paraphrase, "everything a Makuta brought into the world is returned to them". Krika noted that in his case that would be fear, violence, and death and that he hoped with his offer to Gali that he would add a "little bit of mercy". Now, whether or not this legend is true is one thing, but Makuta knew more about the Matoran universe than virtually any other beings.-TN05

Well, knowing the universe, I think it's pretty likely that they have some kind of belief in the afterlife. I mean the believe in spirits and all that stuff.In addition to the fact, I think their souls will linger around for a certain amount of time. So in conclusion, while I'm not sure, I think it's certainly possible.

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.- Toa Kopaka

The only example of a ghost in the same conceptual category as that mentioned by Mallum and Gresh is when the Toa Inika encountered Toa Lhikan's "ghost". While that was only an image, BS01 at least records it as them seeing his "ghost". Does anyone have that book and can shed some light on that passage?
When the Inika saw Lhikan, they suspected that it was an illusion, since they knew he was dead. If anything, this sort of goes against your theory, as none of the Inika brought up the possibility of Lhikan's "ghost."On the other hand, I do support your theory that SM inhabitants (at least) have some belief in the supernatural and in ghosts. I seem to recall one occasion where a Glatorian (Gresh, perhaps?) used phosphorescent minerals to scare superstitious Vorox. If I remember correctly, Malum then vowed that Gresh "soon would be" a ghost. The very fact that this threat meant something is a sign that "ghost" on SM means something more than "an intangible or stealthy being."EDIT: Also, I might add that in The Final Battle, Krika said something to Gali about a Makuta legend, by which everything a Makuta put out into the universe would be returned to them when they died. Since the Makuta are some of the most knowledgeable inhabitants of the MU... Edited by Meta-Mind

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...