What are "Topic Tags" for?

Chronicler06

When starting a new topic, I've noticed that in addition to needing a Topic Title, there's also the option of Topic Tags. I know they're optional since I see there are plenty of topics that don't have any. My question is what exactly is the purpose of having them? Are they to help other members search for topics with a certain subject? Are they selected from a list, or do you have to type them all out yourself?

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

They are indeed there to help members search for topics; clicking on a tag will perform a search for topics (or blog entries, etc.) with that same tag. They fill, in a way, the function of "sub-title" field of topics on the old board. They are not selected from a list and you will have to type them out yourself. You are allowed a maximum of five tags!Does that answer your question?Edit: Q&A trifecta!

Edited by -Windrider-

Yeah, primarily they're to help group topics together. They're also often used as subtitles for topics or just descriptions of the topic so people know what the topic is about. Here's a couple of quotes from the Compendium that also might help:

"Topic Tags": You are allowed up to five tags, separated by commas, with which you want to identify the topic. Any member who clicks on one of these tags will trigger a search for topics with a similar tag.
icon_tag.png (icon_tag.png) Next to this icon you can see which tags have been used to describe the topic. Click on any one of them to perform a search for topics with that same tag.
They do have to be typed out manually if you use them, and you can use up to 5. Does that answer all your questions?newso1.pngEdit: Argh, Windy. Edited by Velox

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

Well, I suppose that makes sense. I guess I'm still a little unsure on the part where the tags have to be typed out manually. I probably shouldn't even bother worrying if other topics have certain tags, right? If I want to use topic tags, I just type what I think would best help people understand what the topic is about. That's it?

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

Well, I suppose that makes sense. I guess I'm still a little unsure on the part where the tags have to be typed out manually. I probably shouldn't even bother worrying if other topics have certain tags, right? If I want to use topic tags, I just type what I think would best help people understand what the topic is about. That's it?
That's exact. No one is expected to go searching through topics to find tagging trends and then match them. As Velox said, their function is closer to that of sub-titles and, if used, should indeed be to help people understand what the topic is about. For example, I've tagged the Official PE Topic with the tags "Includes," "info on," and "warning points" to spell out a sub-title. Another choice I could have made would be to use tags such as "PE" and "Proto" and "Warning" but felt that those would not have conveyed my intention exactly. The possibilities are limitless, as long as you stay within BZP guidelines when typing them out, so do what you feel is best to define your topic.