Terra Nova

there's no other show like it, it's really great.though it did end up on fox, so you shouldn't get too attached. Fox is notorious for canceling great shows after one season, especially if that season ended in a cliffhanger.

This topic so far

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it, did a tree fall?

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

I watched the first two episodes (since they're the only ones available online right now), and I'm not impressed so far. I feel like it's a show about dinosaurs that's trying not to be a show about dinosaurs (although I guess with CGI constraints it makes it hard for the dinos to have lots of screen time). If it toned down the soap opera drama I'd probably be more interested. But, then, I've only seen two episodes so far which really isn't enough to make an impartial judgement. I'll keep watching and hope it gets better. Also I find it amusing that Stephen Lang is basically playing the same character he did in Avatar. 20 bucks says he's going to become the bad guy.

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

'start of the first season'? isn't it only like four episodes in? anyways, i watched the pilot. i had a few criticisms of the writing, and the whole second half was just jurassic park, but i wasn't turned off by it. it didn't spark my interest enough to watch any of the others though. it's a cool setting, and the acting was good for a TV show. i personally found there was too much dinosaur. there was a ton of untapped potential in the form of family drama, and the colonization of dinosaur land in itself was a pretty cool setting, but i still wanted to see less dinosaur. jurassic park did dinosaurs, and the media should've been done after that. it's akin to the vampire nonsense that twilight started, albeit nowhere near as fleshed out.

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

I've been watching it since the first season started, and I have to say that despite the cheesy CGI Dinosaurs, I like that the show pretty successfully merges together all the aspects of a soap opera, a sci-fi channel series, and a decent medical drama all in one show. It is'nt high art in terms of scriptwriting, with some somewhat overused plotlines, but they've managed to pull it off so far. I have a bet going with my Dad that the white haired commander guy will be mortally wounded or dead by the end of season 1.

i personally found there was too much dinosaur. there was a ton of untapped potential in the form of family drama, and the colonization of dinosaur land in itself was a pretty cool setting, but i still wanted to see less dinosaur. jurassic park did dinosaurs, and the media should've been done after that. it's akin to the vampire nonsense that twilight started, albeit nowhere near as fleshed out.

I feel like the pilot had to have lots of dinosaur in order to bring the viewers in. The second episode tried to dish out more of the family drama, but I felt it wavered a little too much into soap opera. Not wanting another Jurassic Park (or Stargate... or Dinotopia...or Lost) is a perfectly valid viewpoint, and I suppose I can see the writers wanting to avoid that. Which is probably why they took the mystery route what with the weird writings and the sixers and all. There seems to be enough drama in those stories without dragging the ex-boyfriend in. Hopefully we saw the last of him but I doubt that's the case. Also, does anyone know what dinosaurs the 'slashers' are supposed to be? Where they made up for the show?

uh, didn't it specifically say in the pilot he's the bad guy? i mean

the writing on the rocks, the fact that he specifically asked if they went there and the sixers actually -SAID- he was going to try and rule the future by ruling the past?

At this point (bear in mind I've only seen two of the episodes at this point) I feel like the Sixers are just like the Others in Lost- at this point we have no idea if they're to be trusted or believed (and, realistically, how can a guy rule a future 65 million years away when he's going to be dead in 40?). We'll just have to see where the writers go with it.

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

I was gonna make this topic, but got sidetracked =P I'm digging this show a lot. Was a little apprehensive about watching it at first, but it turned out to be a lot classier than expected. Good balance of humor, heart, intrigue, and dinosaurs. The Sixers are a little less interesting than I would like, but hopefully we actually learn more about them. There's only one season of 13 episodes, so yeah =P. I've been keeping track of the ratings, and it's not doing too badly. There's hope for a renewal, as long as it can keep its viewership, but considering the expense, I don't see it lasting longer than a full second season. Should be watching it right now, but the TV got hijacked for The Sing-Off.

Personally, Taylor is the most interesting character on the show to me. If he's the bad guy, I'm rooting for him all the way. Lang does a great job. As for the writing, I think it focuses too much on the family (yes, they have to be in the show, but I think they got too much screen-time), and this is exacerbated by the bad writing. The son bothers me the most, especially as I'm the oldest sibling in my family. Oh, yes, you're in a completely new world with a different ecosystem than your old one. You're not going to take the prescribed things that will allow your body to work in this new environment, and moreover, you're going to sneak outside and steal a vehicle (when your family has already broken the rules, no less) with a girl you've just met. That being said, the Sixer plotline is interesting and I want to see where this is going. However, I have to ask: where is their air support? The cost of breaking down a few helis and sending them through the rift would be rapidly recouped once they were assembled on the other side. And clearly they have some source of clean fuel, otherwise the various ground vehicles wouldn't work. :w:

Edited by Lloyd: the White Wolf

I like the show, but I feel it will suffer the fate of shows similar (in that they are sci-fi) like V and The Event, and will end after one season.The show itself is enjoyable, however, the dinosaurs are overdone and aren't realistic to me. It also seems a bit predictable, but the sixers/terra nova conflict seems interesting, with the mysterious writing and such

black_-_the_host.png

Personally, I love the show. I'm watching episode 2 on Hulu right now, on account that I don't have cable or sateillite. So far, I've only been disappointed twice:1- Slashers look like shaved-down, six-foot turkeys who just got lipo. :P Kudos if you get the rep, btw.2- More of the teenagers in the first episode didn't die!

1- the made up dinosaurs looked like plausible creatures2- no bloody teenage massacres SHOW SUCKS

basically what you said
This topic so far

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it, did a tree fall?

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.