A question regarding the Metruan's Kanohi

Hey there everyone! I always had this question about the Metruan's Kanohi. Why are the tops or middle of their Kanohi, tainted with silver paint? The sets that came out have the Kanohi tainted in silver and in some pictures I saw a of couple other matoran from Metru Nui, share the same appearance Does this have something to do with the matoran living or working on Metru Nui? And why does the silver go away when in Mata Nui? Is it because they shrunk? Can someone please clear this up? :)

Edit: BTW sorry if this doesnt belong here, I dont know is this is part of the storyline, or just something the sets had.

Edited by AdaptingChaos

It was to easily distinguish at a glance between a powered Kanohi (Great or Noble was discernable already by shape) versus the Matoran versions that were of the same shapes, so a Toa would know not to try to use a Matoran one in an emergency. It was a cheaper paint than the first layer (the colored layer) and wore off over the thousand years on Mata Nui Island.

The only thing not known as far as I know off the top of my head is why it wore off then but didn't before. I presume they replaced it from time to time before that and didn't have access to the replacements there. Or perhaps real water is more effective at eroding it.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

The only thing not known as far as I know off the top of my head is why it wore off then but didn't before. I presume they replaced it from time to time before that and didn't have access to the replacements there. Or perhaps real water is more effective at eroding it.

It probably wore off often, but on Mata Nui there weren't any Toa, so they didn't need to replace it. The reason was gone, so it became useless.

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

I do believe that it is just a set design choice, and it was added after most of their other appearances. I think, canon-wise, we say that they have different masks on Mata-Nui though. In fact, from this page on BS01, it says this about Nuhrii:

He also acquired a black Kanohi Kaukau.

Which is what he is shown wearing in the MNOG and such up until 2004.

And on this page it is actually answered. It says:

Masks would be painted with a coloring additive after being made, to differentiate power level. Matoran masks would have silver paint added to the top half, Noble, black paint, and Great masks would remain one full color. On Mata Nui, this coloring eventually faded away from sun exposure.

And now all of this post is worthless. Thanks Bonesii! =P

E: Oh, haha no it isn't! Bolded the one part that Bonesii didn't get.

Edited by Portalfig

Wait, is that only in Metru Nui though? We've seen other Matoran from different lands that didn't have the silver on top, so why wasn't it there?

EDIT: Oh, yeah! What about a Matoran like Mazeka who has an all silver mask? What coloration do you have then?

Edited by TNT-Vezon with an Olmak

new_sig_legacy_2.png

Wait, is that only in Metru Nui though? We've seen other Matoran from different lands that didn't have the silver on top, so why wasn't it there?

EDIT: Oh, yeah! What about a Matoran like Mazeka who has an all silver mask? What coloration do you have then?

I dont think Mazeka is from Metru Nui so I dont think that counts.

I meant more if a Matoran is wearing a silver mask, Mazeka is just an example from canon to have a silver mask.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

I meant more if a Matoran is wearing a silver mask, Mazeka is just an example from canon to have a silver mask.

Oh I see, well on BS01 is says that a kanohi would change colors to the color of the wearer. However it also said that the mask would not change colors for a matoran, since they dont have power, so it had to be painted to the color of the matoran since kanohi are supposedly a grayish color at first.