Mixels Information Blowout

It looks like a lot of information and updates on the Mixels has come out recently. For example, they have their own <a href='http://www.mixels.com/' target='offsite'>website</a> with videos and games. There's also the <a href='http://www.lego.com/en-us/mixels/' target='offsite'>LEGO sub-site</a> with it's own collection of character info, games, videos, and more. If that wasn't enough, Cartoon Network <a href='http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/mixels/video/index.html' target='offsite'>threw their hat into the ring</a>, so go check that out for more info on the show. LEGO S@H has the <a href='http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Mixels-ByTheme' target='offsite'>sets listed</a>, but they're not available until February 17th. Finally, <a href='http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cartoon-network-and-the-lego-group-mix-it-up-globally-with-mixels-242278681.html' target='offsite'>this press release</a> has some good info - the shorts start airing on February 12th. Go soak all that up!

View the full article

I watched some of those videos earlier. They....they are really pretty dumb. Like. Just so dumb. The Mixels may be decent for parts and the like but those shorts are no masterpieces. Not even mediocrepieces, I'd say.

If there's one thing I've learned from how they've been treating Beware the Batman, it's that Cartoon Network only ever promotes dumb things. Anything that's actually good gets shoved aside and left to wither and die a slow, painful death.

No, I'm not bitter; why do you ask? :glare:

Thankfully, the sets themselves still seem decent--especially now that we've gotten a look at the next few waves.

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

I watched some of those videos earlier. They....they are really pretty dumb. Like. Just so dumb. The Mixels may be decent for parts and the like but those shorts are no masterpieces. Not even mediocrepieces, I'd say.

If there's one thing I've learned from how they've been treating Beware the Batman, it's that Cartoon Network only ever promotes dumb things. Anything that's actually good gets shoved aside and left to wither and die a slow, painful death.

No, I'm not bitter; why do you ask? :glare:

Thankfully, the sets themselves still seem decent--especially now that we've gotten a look at the next few waves.

[rant]

The problem, unfortunately, lies mainly with the fact that cheap comedies do much better on Cartoon Network than serious shows do. It's very frustrating, true, but unless the viewership suddenly decides to change what they watch, it's unlikely that this will stop in the near future.

Now, my main problem is that I'd expect better from LEGO. With Cartoon Network, this kind of thing is regrettably expected, but considering we've seen what the best LEGO has to offer for storylines is, seeing something very close to the worst is a real slap in the face. I suppose it is to be expected with products aimed at a younger demographic, but really, that explanation opens up an entirely new can of worms.

Also, I think it's rather hilarious how they're treating a multi-media franchise launch as some sort of revolutionary thing, although LEGO themselves has done numerous launches like this in the past, with one of the best, if not the best, being all the way back in 2001. Perhaps they're simply referring to the partnership between Cartoon Network and LEGO, which unfortunately raises the problems of Cartoon Network shows being mixed with the problems of LEGO shows.

An ideal partnership builds upon the strengths of each party, whilst simultaneously covering each other's weaknesses. Unfortunately, a lot of both Cartoon Network's and LEGO's current problems both stem from the same source; namely, pandering their product design to statistics, and not to actual people. This problem partially contributed to Bionicle's very easily avoided demise, and has led directly to the demise of great shows on Cartoon Network.

[/rant]

*Sigh.*

At least the sets look decent.

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

Well, it's nice to see they'll be available soon, but I think I'll hold off on buying any of this wave.

I'm going to wait until the purple set of Mixels come out, and until I hear about how well the new mini-sockets hold up to repeated use.

I have somewhat limited funds, and I'd like to save any and all available for cheap sets with large ratios of purple-to-every-other-color pieces.

Edited by The Kumquat Alchemist

I don't see what the big deal about the cartoon's quality is. It's not meant to be high art. In fact, it's just going to be interstitial shorts (in other words, shown during the commercial breaks of other shows). So even if it's just dumb slapstick animations, I don't have a problem with that.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Anyone who was expecting the Mixels media to be anything deeper than wacky cartoon hijinks is clearly a master of self-delusion.

Also, the partnership between LEGO and Cartoon Network for this franchise IS fairly revolutionary. The last time TLG jointly developed a franchise with a media company was Galidor back in 2002, which was not a successful venture for any of the parties involved.

Anyway, this Mixels theme looks like it's going to be fantastic! Beautiful sets, a refreshingly silly story, and a lot of promotion. Looking forward to the sets' release.

An ideal partnership builds upon the strengths of each party, whilst simultaneously covering each other's weaknesses. Unfortunately, a lot of both Cartoon Network's and LEGO's current problems both stem from the same source; namely, pandering their product design to statistics, and not to actual people. This problem partially contributed to Bionicle's very easily avoided demise, and has led directly to the demise of great shows on Cartoon Network.

BIONICLE's demise was not easily avoidable, it had a shelf-life from the day it launched, and the only way to keep it going would have been to completely overhaul the way story was developed and distributed for the line. All the "deep and compelling" story everyone "loved so much" would have been gone- because people couldn't get into it and found its large history and background intimidating and confusing. LEGO's current problems are this: making a lot of money, being the second biggest toy company in the world, experiencing unrivaled success, being universally adored worldwide, having a 98% fresh movie in theaters, and a product that continues to sell past all expectations. I think CN is making tons of ridiculous decisions and mistakes, but to say that TLG is pandering to statistics and not people (when they do more market research and more test groups of actual people than any other toy company, including making their designers wear gloves to mimic the hand movements and capabilities of young children when designing sets, I mean come on) is just ridiculous.

• Upvote 2

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

@Aanchir/Lyichir: It is actually possible to make silly cartoons and slapstick comedy without being utterly devoid of quality. To imply that just because they're short and silly they have to be bad is...well. It's not really true.

Maybe I dislike them because I just really don't like the art style, though.

• Upvote 2

AXKP5KC.png

@Aanchir/Lyichir: It is actually possible to make silly cartoons and slapstick comedy without being utterly devoid of quality. To imply that just because they're short and silly they have to be bad is...well. It's not really true.

I wasn't saying they were devoid of quality. Personally, I like them. But a lot of people (not necessarily yourself) seem to be judging these on a scale they don't belong on. It's not meant to be Bionicle or Ninjago or anything like that. The Mixels don't look like they're going to be complex characters. They're just goofy animals that interact with one another in humorous ways. What I've seen has made me laugh, and for what this is aspiring to be, I think that's enough.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I somewhat dislike the art style myself (it's not lacking in quality, but it brings up bad memories of back in the late 90s and early naughts when companies like McDonalds and the Muppets made terrible, flailing attempts to revamp their characters), but what I've seen of the cartoons hasn't been bad. I haven't watched all three of the main cartoons, though — just the first one and the trailer.

The decision to premiere them on TV during Teen Titans Go! is a good one, as from my understanding that show has a similar sense of humor.

EDIT: Just watched the second and third shorts, which are even better than the first, even if the third gets a bit crude towards the end.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

Yeah, these are pretty bad. Lego's got such a weird way of doing things - The Lego Movie demonstrates they know somewhere in their hearts that you can market to kids without talking down to them, but then they pull this stuff. Oh Lego.

How are these talking down to kids exactly? As I see it, they're short and silly, and are intended to be such. If it were 22 minutes of repetitive slapstick hijinks I could agree that it was lacking in substance, but as comic shorts two minutes or less in length and intended to be aired during commercial breaks, I think these are quite entertaining. Nice and silly, but not so complex that they distract from the main program.

They're a little bit more lowbrow than the LEGO City mini-movies, but not as crude as, say, the Captain Underpants books, which manage to be hilarious anyhow.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

I saw a short of this stuff when I went to see the Lego Movie, actually, and I found it to be disappointing. It was funny though.

I think Lego is pandering to different audiences with this. Obviously some people like this stuff, or it wouldn't be on television. I dislike television for the most part anyway for precisely this reason, though, so I think I'll pass on watching this series. I'm one of those people that gets enjoyment from using my brain.