Polybag Possibilities

Regitnui

I don't know, do you call this a mech :P

It's definitely a mech, but I think a Bionicle villager set would definitely be pushing the price point for such a polybag. Even the littlest villager seems to have longer legs and arms than that, plus a more armored torso, head, and mask. It probably wouldn't be that realistic to expect a recolored (single color) mask for him, either, since a greater budget for other parts would conversely leave less budget for recolors.

Frankly, I think the most likely subject for a polybag would just be a promotional mask recolor, possibly with a head piece to attach it to (a la the classic mask packs) and some sort of simple weapon or blaster. Unlike the old mask packs, a promotional mask polybag could be produced in much more limited quantities and would conceivably only need a single recolored element as opposed to the full range of molds each in six different colors. If it's not included in a hypothetical Ekimu set, a Gold/Trans. Light Blue Protector mask would be a good candidate for such a polybag. So would a recolored Skull Spider (perhaps in a color like Black or Glow White).

We might even see another recolored promo mask as an event-exclusive item like the Transparent Tahu Mask... a "Gali mask" in Transparent would be a neat item, as would pretty much any other exclusive recolor. I suppose we'll see if anything of the sort is offered at big events like New York Toy Fair or San Diego Comic-Con.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Didn't HF have a full mech polybag set for IFB?

I'm pretty sure it did. I thought it was Breeze. 

And Lynchir, keep in mind that there are no minifig parts to consider here. We're talking four limbs, four shells, two hands, a small torso, maybe two torso armor pieces, two feet, a head, and a mask. That's a grand total of 17 parts - that HF poly has 31. It's not like they would need a bunch of new molds or anything, either - and it's hardly pushing the price of $5. In fact, if the boy weren't so loveable I'd say it would be a terrible deal. 

Didn't HF have a full mech polybag set for IFB?

I'm pretty sure it did. I thought it was Breeze. 

And Lynchir, keep in mind that there are no minifig parts to consider here. We're talking four limbs, four shells, two hands, a small torso, maybe two torso armor pieces, two feet, a head, and a mask. That's a grand total of 17 parts - that HF poly has 31. It's not like they would need a bunch of new molds or anything, either - and it's hardly pushing the price of $5. In fact, if the boy weren't so loveable I'd say it would be a terrible deal.

Okay. With two torso armor pieces (at least one of which is necessary to attach the torso shell detail), that means you need four more pieces than you listed—two beams with center ball and two 3M Technic pins. Assuming you want the head to have eyes (as opposed to being hollow like the Voya Nui Matoran) that's another two parts. So your count was six parts short, making up almost half the difference in piece count you alleged. And that's not counting any weapons or accessories, which are pretty much a must for making an action figure set desirable. A decent (not even great, just decent) weapon would probably need to use at least four parts. Now your part count is at least 27 parts—a much smaller difference from the 31 parts in the Hero Factory polybag.

And the parts in general would be bigger, as well. The HF polybag includes lots of tiny minifigure parts and weapons, and only one real shell, that being the cockpit piece (which is big, but not as big as the six shells you'd need for the hypothetical villager combined). The limbs would need to be longer to even accommodate shells, as well. I think the overall weight of the model would easily exceed that of the HF mech, even if the part count did not.

And even if you COULD squeeze the littlest villager into the budget for a set like that, I don't think it'd have the kind of sales potential to justify it. The Breez polybag, while meager, features one of the rarer heroes from that year (Breez only appeared in two other sets), and it couldn't be confused for any other set. Meanwhile, while dedicated fans might see some value in the fan-favorite tiny fire villager, for almost everyone else the set would merely look like a smaller, less unique and interesting Protector of Fire. Even giving the set an exclusive mask would do nothing but contribute to that impression, since the PoF includes a more visually interesting blended mask rather than a monochrome one.

I think you'd probably find more interest in a weapon and accessory pack featuring maybe one exclusive mask, a multi-piece sword or melee weapon, and one of the multi-piece blasters from the Protector (along with ammo). A polybag like that would make a fantastic gift-with-purchase, since while it might lack a full character it would have all the necessities to outfit the Bionicle set you bought with extra weapons and a new mask. And the exclusive mask, most likely something shiny and impressive like a different clear Toa mask or a gold Protector mask, would help to convey the set's value to collectibility-minded buyers.

EDIT: Of course, if you did want a unique figure or the like, a far better choice than the Fire Villager would be a small animal like the Fikou or Ussal Crab—something with a unique look that would not be confused for a stripped-down version of an existing set.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 1

Okay. With two torso armor pieces (at least one of which is necessary to attach the torso shell detail), that means you need four more pieces than you listed—two beams with center ball and two 3M Technic pins.

Wait, how do you get this? :???: Can't you just use a shell on the torso piece and put the detail over it? Why the extra Technic?

Assuming you want the head to have eyes (as opposed to being hollow like the Voya Nui Matoran) that's another two parts.

Fair point. So I'm up to 19.

And that's not counting any weapons or accessories, which are pretty much a must for making an action figure set desirable. A decent (not even great, just decent) weapon would probably need to use at least four parts. Now your part count is at least 27 parts—a much smaller difference from the 31 parts in the Hero Factory polybag.

Why would the little guy need a weapon? He's not a fighting character. Even if he did, I find it a little silly that a weapon would take four parts. The Breez mech only used two parts for its weapon. I'm still at a max of 21 parts.

And even if you COULD squeeze the littlest villager into the budget for a set like that, I don't think it'd have the kind of sales potential to justify it. The Breez polybag, while meager, features one of the rarer heroes from that year (Breez only appeared in two other sets), and it couldn't be confused for any other set. Meanwhile, while dedicated fans might see some value in the fan-favorite tiny fire villager, for almost everyone else the set would merely look like a smaller, less unique and interesting Protector of Fire. Even giving the set an exclusive mask would do nothing but contribute to that impression, since the PoF includes a more visually interesting blended mask rather than a monochrome one.

This is a fair point, especially since the mini-PoF can easily be MoCed from old PoF's set. I'm just saying that from a budget/production standpoint, it looks feasible to me. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. :)

The minuature Water villager I made only uses about 16 parts...

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Okay. With two torso armor pieces (at least one of which is necessary to attach the torso shell detail), that means you need four more pieces than you listed—two beams with center ball and two 3M Technic pins.

Wait, how do you get this? :???: Can't you just use a shell on the torso piece and put the detail over it? Why the extra Technic?

With a single 5M shell, you could indeed attach it without Technic. But that wouldn't allow for back armor, and it would hinder the arm and leg posability a fair bit. Most Protectors use Technic like I suggested so that they can have armor on both front and back, and so that the shells don't extend far enough down their torsos to interfere with their leg movement.

And that's not counting any weapons or accessories, which are pretty much a must for making an action figure set desirable. A decent (not even great, just decent) weapon would probably need to use at least four parts. Now your part count is at least 27 parts—a much smaller difference from the 31 parts in the Hero Factory polybag.

Why would the little guy need a weapon? He's not a fighting character. Even if he did, I find it a little silly that a weapon would take four parts. The Breez mech only used two parts for its weapon. I'm still at a max of 21 parts.

He needs a weapon because without any sort of weapon or accessory he'd be even LESS appealing for buyers. But fair enough, weapons like Breez's would work just as well for a figure like him.

This is a fair point, especially since the mini-PoF can easily be MoCed from old PoF's set. I'm just saying that from a budget/production standpoint, it looks feasible to me. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. :)

I think to do him justice would push the part budget for sure, but you're right that it could probably be done. However, any shortcuts taken to fit him in the budget would only reduce his appeal further, and as an unnamed noncombatant he's already at a sales disadvantage.

I've long been an advocate for a set with full play potential, and I thought Breez's mech was an amazing development in that respect (as it gave non-HF fans who got the set as a gift-with-purchase a set that demonstrated the basics of the building system). But it's hard to think of a comparable Bionicle figure (especially a humanoid figure) that wouldn't feel lackluster compared to the generally fantastic "small set" design of the Protectors. I think some sort of animal design like the Fikou would have better luck in terms of offering something unique compared to the majority-humanoid sets in the new theme. And failing that, I think a set with one of the new blasters and a promotional mask would offer plenty of play potential and appeal to a wide audience, even though it might lack a figure for role play.

Edited by Lyichir

I don't see why not!

(Welcome to BZP by the way!)

Are polybag figures even necessary for collectors? Maybe for heavy completionists, but I don't think so for regular collectors. 

Edited by Chasm

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I don't see why not!

(Welcome to BZP by the way!)

Are polybag figures even necessary for collectors? Maybe for heavy completionists, but I don't think so for regular collectors. 

Even outside the Bionicle community, there's a sizeable number of collectors who dedicate themselves to polybags specifically. They're a small, widespread, and common set type, which makes them a great target for collectors who are just starting out or lack the space to store bigger sets.

And of course there are a number of dedicated Bionicle collectors, and for them things like polybags that don't necessarily achieve a wide release can be a huge draw.

For both of these groups, the most coveted polybags are usually ones which include contents that are limited to that particular set. For standard Lego, this often means exclusive minifigures (like those that are offered, for instance, as a pre-order bonus with some of the licensed Lego games). The Bionicle equivalent would most likely be an exclusive mask. That kind of polybag won't necessarily be the kind of full-fledged "impulse" set you might find in a checkout line at Target. It's more common for limited-release items like gifts-with-purchase at Toys R Us or the Lego Shop website, which are aimed at people who already plan on buying a sizeable amount of Lego products.

• 2 weeks later...

I found some Lego Polybag sets and they're like $5. Is it even worth it?

Depends what's in it and how much it interests you. Sometimes polybags can be a good way to get a certain minifigure without spending a whole lot of money, or a good parts pack, or what-have-you. Other times you might be better off spending those $5 on a Mixel, or saving up for a larger set.