An In-Depth Look at Umarak

Over on the LEGO fansite New Elementary, Andrew Barnick (known on BZPower as Lyichir) has reviewed 71310 Umarak the Hunter. Andrew takes a close look at all of the new and uncommon elements in the model and helps let you know what you can expect if you're looking for building fodder. He also shows off all of the major design elements including the unity feature so you can decide if the set is worth building. Go check it out, and be sure to give Lyichir any feedback if you have it!

View the full article

Oh hey, it's my review!

Nice to see that written up on BZPower's front page, considering I've probably not done the best job of promoting that myself this week (been preoccupied with my Wairuha MOC and preparation for Scouting for Bricks). It's greatly appreciated!

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

See, this is how BZPower needs to do its reviews. Incredibly in-depth, actually informative, and not overly positive and light-hearted about how incredibly awesome and worth the money despite all the disadvantages something is, even if it actually is that way.

Wondrous job, Lyichir.

See, this is how BZPower needs to do its reviews. Incredibly in-depth, actually informative, and not overly positive and light-hearted about how incredibly awesome and worth the money despite all the disadvantages something is, even if it actually is that way.

Wondrous job, Lyichir.

If you have specific comments or feedback on BZPower reviews, please feel free to post them in the Talkbacks for those reviews. We'd love to hear what we can improve.

Wondrous job, Lyichir.

To be honest, I generally appreciate BZPower's reviews for what they are. BZPower's reviews may not always be as finicky about what specific parts are new or rare, but they DO offer a wide range of opinions on the full range of sets, from multiple reviewers with their own preferences and opinions. BZPower also has two advantages over a review like the ones on The New Elementary—firstly, that they do video reviews, which have their own unique appeal and can reach an entirely different audience of fans, and secondly, that their reviews are incredibly prompt. A review like the ones I do for The New Elementary generally takes a long time to write up—this Umarak review has been in the works for several months, which means that a lot of the people who might have been on the fence about this set may have already gotten it for themselves, or shifted their focus and budget to the fast-approaching summer sets!

Beyond that, The New Elementary has a very specific niche—reviews with a heavy emphasis on the new elements they include. That means that things like in-depth analysis about the actual finished model or discussion of how well a model's design suits the character it represents often have to be kept to a minimum, much to my chagrin. For Bionicle reviews there, I have the added challenge of having to write for "traditional" AFOLs, which means not always being able to make casual comparisons to older sets and parts, and having to emphasize parts' value to people who have little knowledge of or regard for "constraction"—not always an easy task! BZPower's reviews are generally done by Bionicle fans, for Bionicle fans, which means that the conclusions they reach and the set qualities and features they value are often more relevant and informative to this site's specific audience.

That's not to say that I don't love The New Elementary's reviews and relish the chance to write for them. There's not a lot of places out there where my color nerdery and meticulous analysis of new and updated parts is valued so much, and it's great to be able to introduce a whole different audience of Lego fans to themes like Bionicle!

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother