The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

*looks at Genghis Khan**glances around*I'll just shut up and go find a corner now. The RPG is looking pretty good so far; I hope we see it before New Years.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

We needed a reason to justify there being human kingdoms in such an insanely dangerous place in the first place. Guess who can unite primitive tribes and do downright amazing things with them?

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

There's been other leaders in history that did similar things. Caesar Augustus comes to mind, having taken the bickering Roman senate and unifying it under his rule and bringing about the Pax Romona.But I digress, I was just under the impression it was confined to the 1800s and Khan seemed to stick out. It really doesn't matter all that much in the grand scheme of things, certainly not enough for me to get flustered about.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

He had the advantage of the Iron Age . And a technological base.For the record, I was in favor of having the Khan as a purely historical figure in the dreamlands.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Whereas I pointed out that, from what I know of him, Genghis Khan would have had as good of a chance as anybody to survive there.But yeah, I don't intend to toss in any more historical figures. What we have so far is good enough, which is why mention of Andrew Jackson will probably be restricted to what has already been said here - he was competent, tough, and crazy enough to get himself killed in an environment that is very conducive to getting crazy people killed.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

*Has put on commissar uniform in preparation*Oh. So I broke out my happy fun times execution uniform for nothing? Sigh.Someone find me a heretic to smite. Anyhow, I'd suggest you look over some of the older gothic horror for race ideas. Might want to look into Lovecraft and Poe as well, for theme and mood.

So, to confirm because I'm confused, is this a vampire and general folk tale goodness RPG or is this a Twilight RPG? If the latter, is there really enough of a universe to base it around?

voidstars.png

Twilight-based if I understand it correctly. I'm suggesting he add themes and such as from other pieces of fiction to distance it a bit from the romance-touchy-feely...thing.I swear I will never understand this love emotion. It could stop you from executing heretics!

I just don't remember much of a universe from the books....Admittedly I don't remember much of the books, for reasons best not delved into here. I'm just wondering if there's enough of a mythos around the Twilight books to base an RPG off of.

voidstars.png

Mm. I had my memory of most of them purged by the most holy fires of the Emperor's might!Joking aside, ToA does need to think about a setting. A medieval setting is different from a setting in the modern day. All depends on the feel he wants.

I personally would love to see a Harry Dresden set universe. Jim Butcher just did such a magnificent job crafting it.

voidstars.png

I'd prefer a more...ancient setting. Vampires in the Roman Empire?This possibility needs to be explored. For science.And my own personal amusement.

I'm removing the romance element and sparklyness from the books, and doubt I'll involve any real characters. Definitely no Cullens.I'm looking for races that could have survived into the modern day(were they real) because they can hide.So right now I have vampires, shape-shifters, and werewolves, straight from the books. I'm also putting together ideas for a fey/leprechaun type race, and I'm considering merpeople.As always, more ideas are welcome from here, and I may allow people to submit their own ideas in the RPG, provided they put a lot detail into it and pull it out of myth.I do like the idea of it being in older times. The travel abilities would also keep it restricted to Europe, and the surrounding area, which allows me to limit the races... Which makes it simpler...I'm going to look into it. :P

Edited by Toast of Awesomeness

Well, would you just look at that?

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

Rats Vahki, now you've got me theory crafting for a vampiric conspiracy in Augustus' court instead of finishing up The Outer Worlds. xD

voidstars.png

My evil plan is a success! Also little known fact: there was a tribe of Gallic warriors rumored to be able to transform into wolves. I think.

You always try to get fairy/leprechauns into thing Toast :rolleyes:If you were going to make an actual Twilight Universe themed RPG, think you could set it somewhere more unique than the usual big cities these things get put? I may have only read the first one but I seem to recall the Cullens were unusual for going anywhere near civilisation, with most vampires preferring to live in places that are remote and get little sunlight. I think Alaska was mentioned but I'm not sure how much darkness that getsEDIT

Yes! I can bring shape-shifters in after all
Again, only read the first book, but don't the werewolves in Twilight actually describe themselves as some sort of mystical shapeshifter tribe rather than the western idea of werewolves? Which I suppose makes them skinwalkers of a sort Edited by Lord of Adders Black

7AOYGDJ.jpg

There's a surprising amount of transformations into animals throughout cultures world wide. Must be something in the human psyche.I'll go dig up my book on the lore of the Plains Indians and get back to you on the whole myths stuff.Alaska's light levels vary. Some parts of the years the sun practically never sets. Others, it never rises.I could see them in the less inhabited areas of Washington State. It rains enough.

Edited by Void Prophet Alex Humva

voidstars.png

Berserks in general were, in myth, able to transform into animals I think.Hm. Rome conquered Egypt at some point. So that opens the gate to some fun. By fun I mean undead.

Hm. Where do these powers come from? Can we explain it with science or do we add in a magic component?Magic in the older sense. Not flashy fire balls and such as. But rituals, runes etc.

In my experience the moment you turn magic into science, you get less magic and more annoying technobabble.It's not to say magic can't have laid down complex rule systems, just that the moment you say that the wizard isn't drawing his power from an earth spirit but rather is using complex quantum particle relations to move dirt, it gets less fantasy and more "my god am I actually sitting through this."Could just be me though.Mind, I'm not supporting Meyer's handwaving of powers. It's just I prefer drawing power form earth spirits over quantum particle shenanigans.

Edited by Void Prophet Alex Humva

voidstars.png

Magic most likely. And yes, the older sense.Since Meyer never went into the true werewolves, only mentioned them in passing, I think I'll be taking that from the film The Wolfman. Any objections?The vampires won't have anything like on manipulating elements like that guy in the books. That's just a bit overpowered, I think. More mental abilities, like Alice and Edward.On that note, I'll also add Shamans/Wizards/Magic Humans in as a possibility.What about things like angels and demons? I'd keep that clear of religion, and they wouldn't be spirits, instead physical beings, but that's a possibility in Roman-occupied Palestine.

Edited by Toast of Awesomeness

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

Never seen it. General description? Honestly I think magic's origins should be kept vague. So we don't fight about it. Because this crowd will fight about anything. Watch this:I find Star Trek to be overrated!

My point of view is someone tossing fireballs out of their fists is going be silly regardless of how you explain it, might as well accept the silliness instead of trying to tell the reader no no, it's actually SCIENCE!But I've seen SCIENCE!magic done well, so it really depends on the execution here.

voidstars.png

The movie? Disease came from the east, specifically India, but we'll just say East. Instead of being very wolffy, it was more of a beast-man thing. Had things such as enhanced senses at all times, during full moon became mindless, but ridiculously powerful. Severe silver allergy. A little more traditional. :P

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

Then why call it a Werewolf if it's not...wolfy?I dislike chalking magic up to "spirits" or "because magic" it seems lazy to me.

I think proper werewolves should be done Warren Zevon style. You know, like that hairy-handed gent who ran amok in Kent. Lately he's been overheard in Mayfair.But, hrmm, yes, werewolves definitely shouldn't just turn into proper wolves, they should end up somewhere halfway. Like in The Fly (Jeff Goldblum version), but, you know, a wolf flew into the teleporter pod instead of a fly. Wolves fly, right?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Well, it didn't look too wolffy to me. But considering how wolves were thought of in Europe back then, I can see how a ridiculously powerful mix of man and beast could be considered as part wolf. Especially if you didn't get a good look at it. From there it just spreads.If you'd like to see the actual creature, google some images from the film. There's wolflike characteristics, but they're not overt. Especially at a point in it when the hair is burned off of one. :P

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

I'd tend to agree with Ymper here. I'm not just saying that because he's holding my copy of the Necronomicon hostage.

Yeah. You can do whatever you want with your interpretation of other peoples' works, but if you're going to make something that you're calling a werewolf, it had better be wolfy.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

There was fair share of total transformation into animals in Native American mythos, though apparently it didn't happen nearly as much as I remember. It was more reserved for those special occasions. Usually it just involved putting on the skin of an animal, doing drugs, and beating the **** out of your enemies. Very effective practice really, it's a world wide phenomenon. Any chance of other werebeasts? I don't know about you guys, but screw werewolves, I want a werebear.

voidstars.png

We're a tolerant sort.Unless you disagree with us. In which case we will hunt you and your family down. Then we'll come for your friends. Then their friends. Then the friends of friends of friends.Remember the last time we did that Ymper? Good times. :P

Edited by Basilisk