BIONICLE Nostalgia: What's the Fuss?

Eiji Hino

Hello, all.

In my time here on BZPower, I've noticed that there seems to be a whole lot of love directed at the 2001-2003 years of BIONICLE's original run.  From what I've gathered, those few years seem to be the most cherished era of the series, with many people I've seen saying that  they yearn for BIONICLE to return to those roots, that they were the "best."  And it seems to be the most referenced era, too; I admit that I find myself unconsciously scouring the 2001-2003 years for ideas and tidbits.

What I'm interested in knowing, since I wasn't around to experience BIONICLE's "heyday," as I've seen people call it, is this: What exactly is it that makes those original three years the most cherished and fondly remembered years of the BIONICLE series, and the years that many folks around here hold up as the golden standard when it comes to BIONICLE?

In short, what made the "good old days" so good?

• Upvote 4

I would say it's because those years were among the most memorable. There was this huge aura of mystery and a stark contrast between the mechanical visuals and the fantasy narrative, as opposed to the stricter sci-fi element of later years. I wasn't around for it, either; but those years defined Bionicle for a lot of people, and even though I only got in during the Metru Nui arc, I find myself getting the same effect.

It's also worth nothing that this is where Bionicle all started, and first impressions are everything, so that's likely what most people latched onto.

• Upvote 1

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

I was into from 2002 onward (when I was very young mind you) and yet 2003 always sticks out to me the most. I think it's because that's when the original line was more simplistic yet still so fascinating. Mata Nui was just such a nice fantasy world that I would spend hours looking at on my old windows 98. It just had this great fantasy tone to it. That being said in my mind the golden era was 2001-2005. 2004 was more high tech but in my mind managed to retain a lot of that mystery without going all over the place. 

• Upvote 1

It's time to move on.

They were the formative and defining years of Bionicle. The setting, the characters and the story were fairly unique and original as opposed to being either a standard sci-fi or standard fantasy setting. Those years also set the tone and atmosphere of their own stories and media in a fantastic manner - just look at how universally loved MNOG is, and for good reason. That atmosphere, that feeling managed to permeate every part of the 2001-2003 era. The sets which, with today's eyes were rather simple and limited, were fascinating at the time and felt unlike anything Lego ever made before in spite of the similarities with the Slizers and to a lesser extent Roboriders. 

I've been on board with Bionicle since the very beginning, though initially as a youngster, and I recall the theme having a kind of enchanting, profound sense to it which managed to come across to children without being oversimplified. 

Plus, you know, the rose-tinted glasses help a lot.

:kakama:

• Upvote 2

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

The sets which, with today's eyes were rather simple and limited, were fascinating at the time and felt unlike anything Lego ever made before in spite of the similarities with the Slizers and to a lesser extent Roboriders. 

Those lines had only existed in the very two years before Bionicle started, so constraction in general then was unlike anything Lego had made before.

Plus Bionicle Toa sets featured mask and tool pieces that Slizers didn't have.