Just a question about chrome Haus

Skybird

So... this is just a brainwave I had

When the Silver Metal Krana Kal were made, they were a thin coat of sterling silver metal over hard light gray plastic
The Muaka/Kane-ra had silver painted panel fairings (under they eyes) which were also painted over light gray plastic

What if the Chrome Hau were over light gray plastic as well??? I'm sure it's not, but what if?

I'll have to buy one someday to find out, would go nicely with my custom Chrome Matatu and Rau :smiley:

Edited by Skybird

4 hours ago, Skybird said:

So... this is just a brainwave I had

When the Silver Metal Krana Kal were made, they were a thin coat of sterling silver metal over hard light gray plastic
The Muaka/Kane-ra had silver painted panel fairings (under they eyes) which were also painted over light gray plastic

What if the Chrome Hau were over light gray plastic as well??? I'm sure it's not, but what if?

I'll have to buy one someday to find out, would go nicely with my custom Chrome Matatu and Rau :smiley:

Yes the Chrome Hau is indeed plastic with a thin chrome layer, taking a look at mine in the pin where the face attaches I can see light gray plastic underneath. There are drill bit marks here too. Looks like a screw or something was drilled into the stud/pin where the face connects and that screw held the Hau while the chrome was being applied. 

725359104_20200202_2120381.thumb.jpg.9835c9d23e69aefbe97cef551258b583.jpg

1418178633_20200202_2120001.thumb.jpg.f779126e97a9d969d1a69a6a6117c22d.jpg

Edited by Xboxtravis

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

15 hours ago, Xboxtravis said:

Yes the Chrome Hau is indeed plastic with a thin chrome layer, taking a look at mine in the pin where the face attaches I can see light gray plastic underneath. There are drill bit marks here too. Looks like a screw or something was drilled into the stud/pin where the face connects and that screw held the Hau while the chrome was being applied. 

725359104_20200202_2120381.thumb.jpg.9835c9d23e69aefbe97cef551258b583.jpg

1418178633_20200202_2120001.thumb.jpg.f779126e97a9d969d1a69a6a6117c22d.jpg

Oh this is sweet news

So in theory, if one could remove the chrome plating (likely chemically, as to not damage the ABS) they could have a grey plastic hau? If it's even possible.

-EDIT- After doing a little research, I've found a chemical detergent called "super clean" (how original) and it removed chrome from ABS in a matter of seconds... I may be buying a few chrome parts soon... for research purposes

-EDITY EDIT THE 2nd-
So a user on my discord server has one that the chrome has chipped off of and it is black beneath, hmmm

Edited by Skybird

Dark gray haus do, we are discussing if a light gray hau was used for the base of the chrome hau, I have some people saying black, some saying light gray

And lego has a habit of plating over similar colors around that time period (gold over tan, silver over light gray)

Had this same thought about a year ago. All of my old chrome LEGO parts (crystals, swords, etc.) circa 1995-2002 had weathered enough to see it. The plastic is more a colorless, milky, almost off-white and transparent on thinner parts. I imagine they didn't bother to dye the ABS since it would be covered up by chrome. Either way, you won't be getting a new colored Hau, but something closer to what a prototype would look like.

Do us a favor and don't ruin a chrome Hau unless it's already scuffed up. Once they're gone, they're gone.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, chuckschwa said:

Had this same thought about a year ago. All of my old chrome LEGO parts (crystals, swords, etc.) circa 1995-2002 had weathered enough to see it. The plastic is more a colorless, milky, almost off-white and transparent on thinner parts. I imagine they didn't bother to dye the ABS since it would be covered up by chrome. Either way, you won't be getting a new colored Hau, but something closer to what a prototype would look like.

Do us a favor and don't ruin a chrome Hau unless it's already scuffed up. Once they're gone, they're gone.

Was gonna say, lol. Just paint a red one.