Set Review: 71737 X-1 Ninja Charger

71737_X-1_Ninja_Charger_Review_teaser.jp
It's been quite a while since I last wrote a set review, so let's dust off that part of my brain and see if it still works. LEGO has been kind enough to send BZPower five of the 2021 Ninjago Legacy sets, and today we're taking a look at 71737 X-1 Ninja Charger, reimagining the vehicle seen in Season 3 of Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu as well as the earlier set of the same name. How well does it stand on its own, and how does it compare to the original? Well, you'll have to read on to learn about the set, as I go in-depth with a probably-too-long review video and share some pictures and thoughts on the set in written form as well!

View the full article

46 minutes ago, Lenny7092 said:

Anyway, I hope we can have something like that for Bionicle next year in terms of Bionicle’s 20th anniversary.

I can't help but admire your tenacity. :P

But anyway, back on topic. It is an impressive looking set, and I like the little motorcycle thing that comes with it. I also like the color scheme for the purple/black guy.

Edited by Bambi

5 hours ago, Bambi said:

I can't help but admire your tenacity. :P

But anyway, back on topic. It is an impressive looking set, and I like the little motorcycle thing that comes with it. I also like the color scheme for the purple/black guy.

Two things: 

1. I always love Bionicle and expect good things. You and others in BZPower are not the only ones, you know. We all need Bionicle back, and hopefully in 2021 would be a great chance to do it. 
2. The purple/black guy is a Nindroid. Season 3’s main evil army. I like his jet-pack. :)

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

4 hours ago, Lenny7092 said:

Two things: 

1. I always love Bionicle and expect good things. You and others in BZPower are not the only ones, you know. 

O-okay? lol. 

Ah, okay. I didn't know since I wasn't really into Ninjago. But the jetpack is pretty cool! I've never seen the piece that goes on the minifigs neck that you connect the pother parts to.

Good to finally see the build! Personally I'm not a fan of the new one; I'm not one to decry a failure of faithfulness to the source model, since given that certain models can be made better on a revisit (like zane's titan mech of the same wave or the earth driller and to some extent the blade cycle from legacy wave 1) this one falls pretty short as an improvement. Despite the overall sleekness of the model in relying largely on long slopes and neat curves (that furthermore existed in 2014, though that's hardly a knock), the overall shape of the newer vehicle is much boxier and flatter than the original thing; the back replaces the streamlined fins with fairly decent angled plating that lose the armoured look despite their visual interest; and the wheels in general don't have very good cover, as where the original fit its mudguard elements in well, only the front wheels are covered half-decently where the back seems oddly square with only a flag to simulate a flow. The function looks more interesting by using the technic spring but somewhat lackluster in action, and the spring shooters seem integrated more awkwardly than before.

I realize most of this is rooted in my bias: I was 12 when I first saw images of the two Rebooted summer sets, and despite never getting it, the dynamic presentation of the big red muscle car with two sets of guns did sell me in a way the new one simply doesn't (and to be fair, in a way the show failed to sell me on it as well). To hear the X-1 was coming back only to see it look far different and not for the better was a huge disappointment. In retrospect, there are regions where the original X-1 charger failed to deliver (the rear has some exposed studs and the bike isn't great), and a red and black color scheme could be executed interestingly and likely add some flair where the last stuck to its (rather flat) red and gold with requisite hints of black, but as it is I suppose I can just get the old model off of bricklink and call it a day.

(also on a sidenote the pearl dark grey weapon handle was in every hands of time set except jay's bike and the destiny's shadow, though i don't recall any uses after that; it is an interesting piece nevertheless. kai and jay i believe are the same as the ones in the kai fighter and the thunder raider, respectively, although jay had a typo on his suit so i believe this is a new version for 2021)

Edited by Mistah_Grammaticul
  • Like 1

not a grammarian