What is a "misprint"?

Pupwa21

A misprint is a Lego part that was incorrectly produced in a certain color or design, basically. For example, maybe a part was in red on one set and green on another, but a factory accidentally produced a few purple ones. Since they wouldn't need to put these wrong-color parts in a set, they'd eventually end up on Bricklink or something.

Misprints are rare because it's unusual that a factory messes up in production in a way that's good, so to speak, producing a recolored piece, and when it does happen it typically isn't in large quantities.

I can't think of any specific well-known misprints off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone more knowledgable could give a better explanation.

Edited by Chro

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Most references to "misprints" in the BIONICLE community refer to masks produced in colors other than the ones that were intended to appear in sets. Many of these wound up in the randomly-assorted Kanohi packs even though they weren't among the 72 masks that were supposed to be included. Examples include Noble Masks in the Toa Mata's primary rather than secondary colors, Transparent Fluorescent Blue Kanohi Kaukau, and Transparent Yellow Kanohi Kaukau.

This page from the old BIONICLE site includes a chart that includes most of the known misprints, along with other masks that were not among the 72 from the original Kanohi packs. Just click "Special Masks" in the lower right-hand corner.

There are also some other parts that could be referred to as misprints: for instance, the slight color variants of the Bright Yellow and Bright Violet Krana, where the color would occasionally appear noticeably lighter or darker. However, these are not misprints in the same sense, since they are still in the colors that were intended to appear in those sets, just not with the same level of consistency that the LEGO Group strives for.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time