Set Review: 26020 Knowhere Escape Mission

Groot smile

Marvel Studio's latest film Guardians of the Galaxy is still doing well at the box office, and with characters like Groot and Rocket Raccoon that is no surprise. In today's set review of the Knowhere Escape Mission, we see their LEGO counterparts as they reenact a key scene from the movie while fighting some formidable bad guys. Watch the video and read the review to see what is so great about this playset, and say it with me: I am Groot!

View the full article

• Upvote 1

Alright, I'll say it: I am Groot! B-)

Anyway, this looks like a cool set. I really liked the ship when it was shown in the movie, and it looks just as cool here. The minifigs look great too.

Thanks for the review!

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

The only thing going for this set (when I look at it) are the minifigs (and Groot), as they're not featured in any other sets. Lego has done it again...

The only thing? Because when I look at this I see a fantastic depiction of an iconic scene from the movie, with loads of functionality, a great assortment of parts, and an amazing grungy aesthetic. I often find that the people who think minifigures are a set's only redeeming feature are the kind of people who only care about minifigures in the first place.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

The only thing going for this set (when I look at it) are the minifigs (and Groot), as they're not featured in any other sets. Lego has done it again...

The only thing? Because when I look at this I see a fantastic depiction of an iconic scene from the movie, with loads of functionality, a great assortment of parts, and an amazing grungy aesthetic. I often find that the people who think minifigures are a set's only redeeming feature are the kind of people who only care about minifigures in the first place.

Thanks! Plus, as I said in my review, it really surprises you with its great playset features!

-CF

nexo_shields_9.jpg

Groot is too big. I like him on his own, but compared to the others, he should have been one of those Hagrid-sized minifigures or something.

I imagine that Groot's size is primarily to make him scaled properly to Rocket. If Groot were Hagrid-sized, Rocket wouldn't be able to ride on him the same way unless Rocket himself were more the size of a Lego monkey or similar animal, rather than being pretty much Hobbit-sized as is the case here.

I don't particularly mind—Groot, after all, can grow from his default size canonically, so while it may not totally match his scale in the movie it still works for the character (while giving us a more interesting brick-built character than we would get otherwise).

I do sort of wonder if Groot might have looked better with more Sand Yellow (Dark Tan) and Olive Green, rather than the Reddish Brown and Earth Green this set uses. His color in the movie could really go either way, but I feel Sand Yellow would better match how he appears in many of the movie's dimly-lit locations.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Three months before the movie, this set seemed to be kind of all over the place, but after seeing the movie you can tell just how well it fits in. Heck, all those characters were actually in this scene! I thought the various builds a designs were great at capturing the overall shape of the mining ship and tower, while also not using a ton of pieces which would jack up the price. I like Groot too, although I admit there's a size discrepancy. And I was able to utilize one of the 1x2 brackets from the ship to connect Rocket to his back, so that was a plus.

Thanks again for the review, Ben!

:music: