How rare are the clear Hau's that people got at the NYCC, compared

Klack

I figure they're just as rare as the neon Miru's and bronze masks that were given away back in 2001-03, because only 1,500 of the Hau's were produced.

So I bought one of the clear Hau's from Ebay for $30, and I plan on keeping it in the packaging.

(Title cont.) Compared to G1 Bionicle masks.

Nightmare+fuel+dwight+so+i+found+this+gi

I figure they're just as rare as the neon Miru's and bronze masks that were given away back in 2001-03, because only 1,500 of the Hau's were produced.

So I bought one of the clear Hau's from Ebay for $30, and I plan on keeping it in the packaging.

(Title cont.) Compared to G1 Bionicle masks.

Their rarity and value will most likely depend partially on WHICH packaging they come in. There are actually two different versions. The main ones distributed at NYCC have a banner across the back reading "2014 New York Comic Con LEGO® BIONICLE - Exclusive Tahu Mask - 1 of only 1500!".

But there's another version that was given out at the Lego Store Building Event. That one has a banner on BOTH sides reading "2014 NYCC VIP LEGO® BIONICLE Event", and underneath the set name it specifies "XXX of only 100 made!" I don't know if that can be considered 100% accurate, since apart from the numbered packaging the mask inside seems to be more or less the same as the main NYCC ones, but in the collectibles market it's not unheard of for numerically-marked packages to increase the value of the product as a whole.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 7

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

• 2 weeks later...

A bit late here, but the clear Hau is much less common that the trans neon green Miru or the US copper Huna. Individuals have been known to own thousands of those (mfuss903, for instance), and they usually sell for $5 and below. $30 for a sealed clear Hau is a pretty good deal.

Lyichir is right about the difference in packaging; the VIP Bionicle Event packaging would be more difficult to find and thus more expensive than the general NYCC packaging, if both are sealed. However, once opened the masks are identical and worth the same. In addition, there were almost certainly more than 1500 of the masks themselves made: 1600 (general + VIP) in packages at NYCC, and several BZP members have quite a few of them.

If I had to compare the value of a sealed general NYCC packaging clear Hau to an older rare collectible, I'd say it's about equal to a sealed Copper Mask Pack, a sealed trans-red Kanoka, or a trans-orange Kraata.

-Letagi

A bit late here, but the clear Hau is much less common that the trans neon green Miru or the US copper Huna. Individuals have been known to own thousands of those (mfuss903, for instance), and they usually sell for $5 and below. $30 for a sealed clear Hau is a pretty good deal.

Lyichir is right about the difference in packaging; the VIP Bionicle Event packaging would be more difficult to find and thus more expensive than the general NYCC packaging, if both are sealed. However, once opened the masks are identical and worth the same. In addition, there were almost certainly more than 1500 of the masks themselves made: 1600 (general + VIP) in packages at NYCC, and several BZP members have quite a few of them.

If I had to compare the value of a sealed general NYCC packaging clear Hau to an older rare collectible, I'd say it's about equal to a sealed Copper Mask Pack, a sealed trans-red Kanoka, or a trans-orange Kraata.

-Letagi

Wow. 

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

The VIP packaging will be more desirable, but you'd also be hard pressed to find a collector that hardcore and somebody who'd be willing to charge an exorbitant amount for it. The cross-section of the two isn't going to leave many instances.

30 dollars is a good price. I paid 50 for mine, so a bit over the bottom price, but around 30 is where the prices will average for the time being. I imagine it will go down as BZP releases some of their stock into the wild as well.

The VIP packaging will be more desirable, but you'd also be hard pressed to find a collector that hardcore and somebody who'd be willing to charge an exorbitant amount for it. The cross-section of the two isn't going to leave many instances.

You're right there won't be many, but here's one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-NYCC-2014-EXCLUSIVE-BIONICLE-EXCLUSIVE-CLEAR-TAHU-MASK-LE-1500-/400804227181?orig_cvip=true

Flintsmith bought it.

-Letagi

You're right there won't be many, but here's one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-NYCC-2014-EXCLUSIVE-BIONICLE-EXCLUSIVE-CLEAR-TAHU-MASK-LE-1500-/400804227181?orig_cvip=true

Flintsmith bought it.

-Letagi

HE PAID $107.50 FOR IT?!? :OMG: Whoa, that guy is definitely a hardcore Bionicle collector alright. :P

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Is it known roughly how many trans Mirus and copper Hunas were produced/are accounted for? Because that might make it easier to compare.

For those that got a bunch of clear Haus outside of the 1600 NYCC and Lego Store promotional ones, are they all BZP folk or..? I'm sure if you ask everyone you'd be able to come up with an accurate number of total existing Haus out there.

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Is it known roughly how many trans Mirus and copper Hunas were produced/are accounted for? Because that might make it easier to compare.

For those that got a bunch of clear Haus outside of the 1600 NYCC and Lego Store promotional ones, are they all BZP folk or..? I'm sure if you ask everyone you'd be able to come up with an accurate number of total existing Haus out there.

All the people who were in the group we split them up amongst are indeed BZP members. We probably should have counted them first.

• Upvote 1

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

Tens of thousands, at least. mfuss903 had around a thousand trans-neon green Mirus all by himself, and he wasn't the only one to get them in those numbers. The US version of the copper Huna was likely also produced in those numbers, given that they seem to be about as common as the Miru. The UK version is a bit harder to find so there probably weren't as many made, but still many times more than the clear Hau.

-Letagi

Edit: Okay, looks like the picture in that eBay auction wasn't accurate and it was just the regular package after all. Flintsmith just said so here in the Official eBay Auctions Topic over in B/S/T. I guess that means none have been sold yet after all, but we still have an idea of what one would sell for since everyone who bid on this one thought it was genuine.

Edited by Letagi

Thanks for all the replies!

I've be wanting to open the packaging on my copy, but now knowing that it will be significantly worth more made me reconsider doing it. Hopefully  there will be some contests in which I might be able to own a second one for MoC'ing purposes. (I don't do much of that anymore, but it's always good to have a CLEAR mask handy. XP) 

Nightmare+fuel+dwight+so+i+found+this+gi