Should Bionicle Make Variations of the Same Set?

bioniclepluslotr

I noticed a trend amongst other popular toy series of having limited edition versions of a widely available toy. This usually includes a simple recolor of a toy, yet collectors go flocking over it (take Transformers for example, some exclusives are often highly sought after). The last time I've seen something like this applied to Bionicle was probably those exclusive Vahki that had the gold Vahi and Disc of Time. Other "limited edition" sets were completely new sets exclusive to a store (not sure why they don't just mark it as a store exclusive). I was thinking that since Bionicles were made of individual pieces, this could easily be done by simply swapping out parts with other colors, leading to Toa sets that have a unique color pattern that differs from the original, and perhaps pieces in colors that have never been made before. Also, exclusive packaging itself may be appealing to some customers.

ehhhh no.

That always just bothers me when they do that. Like the Jetrax thing. It was like a Toys R Us exclusive, and had next to no storyline significance at all. I don't mind if they hide 1 zillion golden Haus inside boxes, like they did for Krana, but I'm not a fan of "special limited edition! Only at Target!" kinds of stuff.

ehhhh no.

That always just bothers me when they do that. Like the Jetrax thing. It was like a Toys R Us exclusive, and had next to no storyline significance at all. I don't mind if they hide 1 zillion golden Haus inside boxes, like they did for Krana, but I'm not a fan of "special limited edition! Only at Target!" kinds of stuff.

It was supposed to emulate the sheer power of the machine. And attract people who like exclusive stuff. You can still buy the original set if you want.

Same with me as well. If there was truly something special behind the variant(s) (i.e. special colored pieces, story relevance, special/limited Edition, and extra special mask, etc.) then I'd be willing to buy a duplicate  set. 

After all, I'm trying to collect every single set this time around.

Nightmare+fuel+dwight+so+i+found+this+gi

The yellow Jetrax T6 was pretty cool IMO.

I think it's an alright idea. I would gladly buy a set twice if it has enough value behind it (like special pieces, story relevance etc.)

-NotS

Yeah, I preferred the yellow Jetrax a lot more than the original. 

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles