New Bionicle 2016 Designer Videos Show a Kid's-Eye View of Unity

Bionicle.com has been updated with two new videos showcasing the LEGO Bionicle sets for the first half of 2016. One is a designer video in which Bionicle designer Mark Cowley describes the features of this year's Tahu, Kopaka, and Pohatu models along with their creatures Ikir, Melum, and Ketar. Additionally, there's a new "Kids Video" in which senior designer Matt Betteker, whose concept art we've been enjoying these past couple years, presents these six figures and Umarak the Hunter to a kid, Chris Lindeberg, for direct feedback. Follow the links above to watch the videos!

View the full article

I may not have heard correctly, but in the first video (sans kid) the designer states that all of the added detail was something they really wanted to introduce into the line from the very beginning. If what I heard is true, then why didn't they do this with last year's sets? 

This is coming off of many discussions with a few of my friends in regards to the sets this year; I think they took feedback from consumers and were told in some places to add more details. But if the designer in this video stated that they wanted this level of detail since work began on the line, then why didn't it happen that way?

Whether it was a design choice that was poorly received by a loud minority or it had to be that design choice for some reason that only the designers know, I am still curious to see the internal workings as to how this conclusion was reached.

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

I may not have heard correctly, but in the first video (sans kid) the designer states that all of the added detail was something they really wanted to introduce into the line from the very beginning. If what I heard is true, then why didn't they do this with last year's sets? 

This is coming off of many discussions with a few of my friends in regards to the sets this year; I think they took feedback from consumers and were told in some places to add more details. But if the designer in this video stated that they wanted this level of detail since work began on the line, then why didn't it happen that way?

Whether it was a design choice that was poorly received by a loud minority or it had to be that design choice for some reason that only the designers know, I am still curious to see the internal workings as to how this conclusion was reached.

I think the answer to that is very simple, they didn't have enough budget in the first year to get all the detailed pieces they wanted right away. So they started off slowly with transitions phase parts as they go in to this new more detailed aesthetic.  Having only a few detailed pieces with the mostly smooth CCBS pieces at first wouldn't have worked, so they couldn't jump right in to what they wanted to do.

• Upvote 1

"Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero." -Toa Kopaka