LEGO Bionicle 2016 Designer Video 2 Released on Bionicle.com

The second designer video for the 2016 LEGO Bionicle sets has been released on official Bionicle website and the LEGO.com videos page. In this video, Bionicle designer Brian Nielsen explains and shows off the parts and play features of this year's Lewa, Gali, and Onua sets as well as their elemental creatures and their adversary, Umarak the Hunter. Which side will prevail in the battle for the Mask of Control? Follow either of the links above to watch the video!

View the full article

So, according to the designer, Brian, Umarak's Hunter Mask can actually control the shadows? Like a Mask of Shadows? If that's the case, that's pretty cool. It'd make sense with how much emphasis is placed on 'shadow' this year. 

Anyway, that was a fairly neat video. I love the group-shot at the end of the video.

• Upvote 1

Are they doing this on purpose now? This guy's English is bad, like really bad. Repetitive, short sentences with awkward pauses. It's like he was literally pulled in front of the camera while he was doing something completely different and he is beyond confused as he is reading his lines.

Are they doing this on purpose now? This guy's English is bad, like really bad. Repetitive, short sentences with awkward pauses. It's like he was literally pulled in front of the camera while he was doing something completely different and he is beyond confused as he is reading his lines.

...Or maybe, like many LEGO designers, English isn't his first language. That would be the common-sense explanation.

It always amazes me how judgmental people can be about these videos. LEGO designers aren't hired for their ability to stand in front of a camera without looking or sounding awkward, they're hired for their design skill. And I think it's wonderful of LEGO to publish designer videos like this that let us hear about the sets directly from the designers. So what if they're sometimes a bit awkward doing it?

• Upvote 4

...Or maybe, like many LEGO designers, English isn't his first language. That would be the common-sense explanation.

It always amazes me how judgmental people can be about these videos. LEGO designers aren't hired for their ability to stand in front of a camera without looking or sounding awkward, they're hired for their design skill. And I think it's wonderful of LEGO to publish designer videos like this that let us hear about the sets directly from the designers. So what if they're sometimes a bit awkward doing it?

I can get that English isn't their main language, but at least put some effort into rehearsing it, or there is literally nothing stopping them from just using subtitles while they speak danish. And the video before was bad too, the kid there was clearly uninterested and just wanted it to be over with, while the guy was trying too hard to invest the kid. On camera chemistry is also something that has to work, something those two didn't have at all.

Edited by Mate.397

I love hearing directly from the designers, I just wish they'd talk more about the design process instead of essentially showing off the finished sets. Those "Inside Bionicle" videos from 2015 were great because they showed off prototypes and concept art...these aren't so interesting.

The video with Mark Cowley was nice though, as he talked about some of the set design philosophies. It gives me a new appreciation for the sets when I can understand why they went with certain designs.

IetTsFQ.png