Deaths and the Red Star

Well, the story already has established rules on how characters can be revived. Generally, anyone who dies in the Matoran Universe and leaves behind enough of a corpse is revived (characters who leave no physical remains, such as Matoro, are not revived). On the Red Star, their appearance is identical to their previous one, since the intention was for them to return as if nothing happened.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Well, the story already has established rules on how characters can be revived. Generally, anyone who dies in the Matoran Universe and leaves behind enough of a corpse is revived (characters who leave no physical remains, such as Matoro, are not revived). On the Red Star, their appearance is identical to their previous one, since the intention was for them to return as if nothing happened.

Yep, and that about sums it.

Gleaming glistens The Red Star,
Bringing life to death afar,
Up away in deepest space,
You call me from your distant place.

Proud member of the Kanohi Force (Disavowed, but never dead)

• 3 weeks later...

While Master Inika and Toa of Gallifrey covered the majority of the essential factors necessary for one to be revived on the Red Star, I would also like to point out that, in addition to those points, beings who died via any form of cranial damage are also killed off permanently, the example being none other than Sidorak himself.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

Off the top of my head, here's a list of the characters we know have been revived and those who are permanently dead, owing to cause of death (incineration, cranial damage, death outside the Matoran Universe, etc.):

Revived:

Lhikan

Hydraxon

Mavrah

Botar

Nocturn

Maybe Revived, but unconfirmed:

Ihu

Jovan

Permanently Dead:

Kodan

Nikila

Naho

Karzahni (Plant)

Nidhiki

Krekka

Sidorak

Reysa

Matoro

Ancient

Carapar

Tridax

Spiriah

Kojol

Antroz

Vamprah

Chirox

Mutran

Icarax

Krika

Gorast

Bitil

Makuta of Stelt

Karzahni (Being)

Tren Krom

Certavus

Teridax

• Upvote 2

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

Off the top of my head, here's a list of the characters we know have been revived and those who are permanently dead, owing to cause of death (incineration, cranial damage, death outside the Matoran Universe, etc.):

-snip-

This is a fascinating way to look at it. Turns out that if you were important enough to be named, it's extremely likely that you had only one shot at life, ha.

Where'd Lhikan end up? Still stuck on the Red Star? Didn't think we ever saw him again.

• Upvote 2

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

I still can't get over the fact that Lhikan was revived in the Red Star. I can't really say it negates his sacrifice to save Vakama's life (because he wasn't aware of the Red Star's function at that point) but it certainly does reduce its impact from the storytelling standpoint.

Plus, because of his noble sacrifice, he was rewarded by being trapped in a place which is basically the Matoran's equivalent of purgatory or limbo. Sweet.

• Upvote 3

Well, I remember that Greg had started this whole Red Star thing because he wanted an isolated zombie story, and it's been implied that something wrong happened aboard the star with how the Kestora spoke and the strange sounds all around.

I imagine most of the characters we know that went up there aren't the same as they were. They're probably zombie-like and don't have their memories as they probably weren't rebuilt correctly, so I'd imagine we'd instead have a zombie Lhikan.

I still don't like it. I hate the overall idea of the Red Star being a respawn point but it's the revival of Lhikan that annoys me the most.

I remember that Lhikan's death left a big impact on me when I was a little kid (it even made me reluctant to watch B:LoMN for the second time for some time...). Now, as an adult, I realize it's pretty much both the 'hero's mentor dies' and 'taking the bullet for someone else' cliche and that LoMN wasn't too great movie to begin with but the scene of Lhikan's death still gets me every time I happen to see it (even though I hate to admit it most of the time). Seeing the awesome gold-and-red hero you wanted for Christmas in 2005 but didn't get become a fragile elder carried some sort of underlying sadness and his peaceful (well, by 'peaceful', I mean the way he faced it during his talk with Vakama, not the fact that he was killed by Makuta) death concluded his character's arc beautifully.

Edited by Onepu the Protector
  • Upvote 2

I still don't like it. I hate the overall idea of the Red Star being a respawn point but it's the revival of Lhikan that annoys me the most.

I remember that Lhikan's death left a big impact on me when I was a little kid (it even made me reluctant to watch B:LoMN for the second time for some time...). Now, as and adult, I realize it's pretty much both the 'hero's mentor dies' and 'taking the bullet for someone else' cliche and that LoMN wasn't too great movie to begin with but the scene of Lhikan's death still gets me every time I happen to see it (even though I hate to admit it most of the time). Seeing the awesome gold-and-red hero you wanted for Christmas in 2005 but didn't get become a fragile elder carried some sort of underlying sadness and his peaceful (well, by 'peaceful', I mean the way he faced it during his talk with Vakama, not the fact that he was killed by Makuta) death concluded his character's arc beautifully.

I agree. The Red Star's function is, thematically, a terrible idea. It would have been better if Mavrah never showed up at all, the Kestora just said it was supposed to revive the dead, but malfunctioned and didn't work at all.

I've never heard Greg wanting them to be like zombies, but that could work as well. Mavrah didn't seem like a zombie when we saw him.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

According to Gaardus' BS01 page, only the Red Star's teleportation systems malfuntioned after he was revived and sent on his way back to the MU, not the actual revival process itself.

Seeing as how Mavrah's says that he arrived for repairs sometime afterwards, but wasn't able to leave due to said malfunction, and the fact that he didn't seem to be negatively affected at all, it's probably safe to say that whatever started causing people to "zombify" would've happened sometime during the thousand years between him being fixed and Kopaka and Pohatu ending up there. This also means that Lhikan would also likely be fine (aside from him being trapped there as well), considering that he actually died before Mavrah and all, unless those who were brought back wrong had the ability to infect others and somehow got to him, of course, as that would be a completely different story.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

• 3 weeks later...

Changing subject a bit, is it possible for there to be Two Sentrakh's? because if you remember, he supposedly inhabits a trance state between life and death. my theory is that while TSO was experimenting on him, he died just long enough for the Red Star to build a new sentrakh, one that retained his will(?) either way, that would be one of a story serial.

Link to how Azi looks(UPDATED): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Hh1oWv0PcbLWVKdnpaT1hZeFk/view?usp=drivesdk

Also, because THEMESONG:

Changing subject a bit, is it possible for there to be Two Sentrakh's? because if you remember, he supposedly inhabits a trance state between life and death. my theory is that while TSO was experimenting on him, he died just long enough for the Red Star to build a new sentrakh, one that retained his will(?) either way, that would be one ###### of a story serial.

Not quite. According to BS01,"beings who died in the Matoran Universe were transported to the Red Star, where they would be placed in a new body, and then be returned back to the robot in order to continue working". Basically when a someone dies within the Matoran Universe they are teleported to the red star and then repaired, if possible. They aren't copied and duplicated.

Other notable purposes/features of the RS is that it can create toa from matoran outside the Matoran universe, it provides energy to the Mata Nui robot to allow it to travel in space when it attaches to its back, and it also provides energy to all matoran, toa, and turaga in the matoran universe (much like Telsa's theory on transmitting energy in the form of a signal or wave).

Gleaming glistens The Red Star,
Bringing life to death afar,
Up away in deepest space,
You call me from your distant place.

Proud member of the Kanohi Force (Disavowed, but never dead)

Changing subject a bit, is it possible for there to be Two Sentrakh's? because if you remember, he supposedly inhabits a trance state between life and death. my theory is that while TSO was experimenting on him, he died just long enough for the Red Star to build a new sentrakh, one that retained his will(?) either way, that would be one ###### of a story serial.

Not quite. According to BS01,"beings who died in the Matoran Universe were transported to the Red Star, where they would be placed in a new body, and then be returned back to the robot in order to continue working". Basically when a someone dies within the Matoran Universe they are teleported to the red star and then repaired, if possible. They aren't copied and duplicated.

Other notable purposes/features of the RS is that it can create toa from matoran outside the Matoran universe, it provides energy to the Mata Nui robot to allow it to travel in space when it attaches to its back, and it also provides energy to all matoran, toa, and turaga in the matoran universe (much like Telsa's theory on transmitting energy in the form of a signal or wave).

It is an interesting concept. I would also have to say no, simply because Sentrakh's body remained in the Matoran Universe, and when you revive, your physical body is teleported up.
  • Upvote 1

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg