The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

I can't make any proper suggestions about that until I see the industry system that we'll be using.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

That works for those starting with planets, I suppose, but I'm leaving options open for, say, all ships and no planets or colonisers.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

An entirely ship based civilization would be pretty interesting, and I might have the Natsirt take that route. How would their industry work, and how would they get more ships outside of piracy?If ship-based civilizations aren't horribly weak, I might take the route of xenophobic nomads.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

That, or an idea I was thinking of; flying industrial bases. They land on asteroids and moons, mining the resources then manufactoring parts. Not very quick and not very efficient, but they'd work to build ships.

voidstars.png

Except by surprising them when they come into a new system, or following them when they jump out. I'm going to allow that system, though it will have less available combat ships than the purely either-trade-or-be-a-pirate nomad fleet, will be more vulnerable to total destruction than actually having planets, and won't give you quite as much stuff as having real planets.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Yeah, but nerfed in ways that make sense. The big advantage they have over the true nomad fleet is that they can produce new ships of their own, while the real nomads will pretty much have to either buy or steal them.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

There should really be a "Forgeship" that adds to your industry, but is highly vulnerable and needs to get raw materials from planets or asteroid belts.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Me, I was thinking of a nomadic fleet with bases of operation; industrial points scattered throughout a few worlds. Nomads who lay claim to land, basically.As for it breaking the game, I think of it like the Terrans from Starcraft; practically all their buildings can detatch and fly away, but they have the notable problems of being 1)slow 2)easy to shoot at and 3)unable to produce stuff while flying. So I see it acting as a sort of mobile force, with the main fleet jumping into a system, settling in for a month or two, mining the raw materials and building the components, then jumping out and drifting through void space while they actually build the ship.Speaking of which!Will void space -the void between star systems; interstellar space- take more of an important role? As my Natsirt nomads will probably spend the vast majority of their time in it. It's outside of stellar gravity, far from any prying eyes, it's huge so finding someone there who has their engines on low would be next to impossible, and in general it's excellent for hiding in.So, could jump drives target space outside of heliospheres?

voidstars.png

Just to pop in, the Mythology RPG is currently underway. However, I'd like to see what mythologies you guys want included. Right now we're planning on Aztec, Celtic, Greek/Roman, Egyptian, Norse, Shinto, and Chinese, but are there any others that you guys want to see brought into this?

Well, would you just look at that?

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

I believe when we were planning it the first time we have Babylonian and Native American mythologies in there as well.

voidstars.png

The space between solar systems will be included and available for use. The plan you have for your race will be workable as far as the precise variety of nomads they happen to be.And no, you can't mine/build satellite networks in/constantly patrol the space between solar systems. Too big compared to solar systems for it to ever be feasible

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Satellites patrolling outside of the heliosphere would be impractical in more than one way, most notably, they'd have no instellar body to orbit. It's outside of the heliosphere, it'd be orbiting the galaxy at that point, and that wouldn't be all too great for stability. Not to mention the cubic lightyears we're talking about here.So my plans are totally laid out now; nomads in void space, who send out military and industrial ships every so often to build more ships, and to attend diplomatic meetings. Only way to get to the mother fleet is to have the specific coordinates, otherwise you get lost in void space. The location of the mother fleet would be as closely protected as Earth's location in Halo was. Ultimately someone is going stumble upon your homeworld; drifting in void space, making jumps every so often to change the position, means you're practically undetectable.Methinks for the first week or so of the game I'll just be pumping out civilian vessels, converting colonizer parts to long term space parts and all. This will be fun indeed, not playing as a powerful military, but yet having an interesting amount of influence.

voidstars.png

Well, I know how I'll be winning the game, now. Engineering Victory!

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

I would like to emphasize that this game really isn't all that "winnable." You aren't required to try to make your civilization the only one left, and I certainly won't force you into conflicts. It's just war and politics in space.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Unwinnable...Hmmm...Rover, i have a question. I was thinking of having a race along the lines of, say, the Flood or Zerg. Thoughts?

I've been searchin' for the daughter of the Devil Himself,

​I've been searchin' for an Angel in White,

​I've been lookin for a woman who's a little of both,

​and I can sense her but she's nowhere in sight,
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

So long as they're sapient, I'm cool with it. Would they be capable of building their own ships, or would they have to commandeer them?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Hmmm... having to think on that.I'd almost say that they'd be similar to the zerg and flood in that they're parasitic, but more similar to Star Wars' Yuzaahn Vong (or hower it's spelt) in that they grow their ships and technology or something. Probably along the lines where they'd take some type of natural life and convert it into a space-faring form/vessel.

Hmm... I've never really liked the idea of organic ships, to be honest. Seems very impractical in the extreme conditions in space.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

You can armor a living ship against radiation sequence, make them all but immune to viruses, etc, but in my opinion steel and plastic are better than bone and flesh.

-Rover

It depends on how Intelligent i were to make the Hivemind.A basic "Consume All" Hivemind would simply grow the stuff needed, somehow. However it's also totally possible To go the route of the flood from halo, where each assimilated consciousness has it's memories and experiences added to the Hivemind. With a system like that, they could easily assimilate an Engineer, or group of them, and begin work on actual ships. Granted it would take serious amounts of time, but...Idunno, I've been trying to do something new all the time in RPGs lately, Parasitic Races have always intrigued me :P

I'll give you the parasitic ship-design-stealing hivemind, half because I just want to see what you do with it. No organic ships, due to a combination of impracticality and squick.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I think any sort of memory absorption is downright silly, since it assumes that every species has a very similar brain structure. All Terran creatures have their brains built vaguely similarly, but that's no guarantee about aliens; the Reverene, for example, share no cell types or Organelles with Terran creatures; there are parallels, and outwardly they are similar, but the building blocks are entirely different. Which is what I expect of any race actually.

-Rover

That's a fairly good point, but really, once they've commandeered the ship one way or another, it's kind of beside the point.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

It depends on how Intelligent i were to make the Hivemind.A basic "Consume All" Hivemind would simply grow the stuff needed, somehow. However it's also totally possible To go the route of the flood from halo, where each assimilated consciousness has it's memories and experiences added to the Hivemind. With a system like that, they could easily assimilate an Engineer, or group of them, and begin work on actual ships. Granted it would take serious amounts of time, but...Idunno, I've been trying to do something new all the time in RPGs lately, Parasitic Races have always intrigued me :P

Oh, don't tell me you were going to have an evil hivemind as well. Now I'm going to look unoriginal. Granted mine could make their own ships rather than stealing them...

7AOYGDJ.jpg

Are Treanuan ships allowed? They're basically organic in metal shells.And there are some advantages to an organic ship. You can make them faster, they can repair themselves from some wounds, things like that. They just have to be engineered right.

I can see the healing part, but making them faster? Dude, a fusion drive is going do you just fine regardless of whether or not your ship is metal or flesh. Or ion drive or nuclear drive or whatever drive you have strapped on.The biggest problem I'm seeing with organic ships is simply the fact that you got to feed the thing, and I imagine a ship takes a ton of food.

voidstars.png

Ah. That makes much more sense.Well, I wouldn't be so sure; I mean, look at us humans. It takes us fourteen to eighteen years to reach physical maturity. Granted, we're one of the slowest species in that aspect, but unless you get your ships hyped up on growth hormone, getting a ship of any decent size will take a while. Not to mention you have to grow it from a baby; it takes us humans an additional nine months just to get to the point of were our bodies can function without aid. I can't see a bioship being any faster to make than a conventional metal ship.

Edited by Sweetroll Thief Alex Humva

voidstars.png