The Olden Dasys

Sybre

Do any of you ever get that feeling that some of the best LEGO sets are far behind us? Right before I made this topic, I badly wanted a Throwbot. What past set do you want but can't get? Post what you want to say here.Can some forum administrator guy rename this to The Olden Days? There was a typo.

Edited by Didonchu

mindeth the cobwebs

People always get nostalgic about what's gone. But I think that the current sets are quite nice as well, and good advancements molds have been made since, say, the Throwbot days.Btw, a Forum Leader can rename the topic. You can PM the staff member whose jurisdiction includes Sets instead of editing an appeal to the forum administrators into the OP.~B~

Edited by Ballom

I think the Throwbots and 01 Bionicles are more fun to play with than the Hero Factory guys, while the HF ones are better for MOCing and posing. With new and better molds came the loss of functions, apparently. Not in Lego Technic, of course.

Laughing_Man_Icon_by_CoyoteTracks.gif

Does anyone want to play the Master Chief Collection with me? I'm trying to get a team going for ranked. PM for GT.

Although this may not be LEGO, I do wish I could get some of the past Bionicle sets. For LEGO, I wish I could have had the Ferrari racing sets that LEGO came out with a few years ago. Those were pretty cool, but I remember I didn't have a huge interest in them then. Now, though...And sure, I get that feeling. Everybody does, or at least most of the die-hard Bionicle supporters. Sure, I loved the sets, but I didn't consider all of them to be super awesome or whatever. Still, most of those were pretty great sets, nonetheless.

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

I find most of the best BIONICLE set designs are recently-released or newly-released ones. TLG's designers have demonstrated improvement in many ways, such as new and innovative building techniques or versatile new part designs. I still have nostalgia for several sets, and can't say that there have been large-scale constraction sets as well-designed as Roodaka, Brutaka, or the 2008 Takanuva set in a long time. But still, I feel that many of today's sets show that TLG has learned from the positive and negative aspects of past sets and themes.I definitely don't have nostalgia for the Throwbots. Those in particular seem particularly lousy to me compared to today's Hero Factory sets or even compared to the 2001 BIONICLE sets. Overall many of the Throwbots had awkward action features (I do NOT enjoy spinning a worm gear for seven minutes just to fit my set back in its container), and the BIONICLE theme inherited most of the positive aspects of that theme while eliminating most of the negative ones.

The older days of BIONICLE and its immediate predecessors hold a lot of appeal in the collective minds of AFOLs and younger fans alike. LEGO, like anything, has to evolve. There is no way that they could survive with a relatively simplistic constraction system that's essentially a small tweak away from Technic. Of course, that style has a lot of advantages, and up until, and including, the first year of Hero Factory, Technic-BIONICLE adaption has been a very easy form of fusion building. With the new 2.0 style, I see it as a natural step, away from its Technic parentage and out into the world on its own.Would I consider them good? Yes, especially for the time. Would I like to have some of them back? Not the whole, but parts of it - for example, I'm looking forward to the teal-like color from the new Hero Factory wave.tl;dr:The good old days, the good old daysWe all quite fondly speak ofWhich, if they ever were to come backNo one could stand a week of.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Bionicels duh =P. But the old City sets were very nice, not to mention cheaper, MM sets, I kinda got a crush on PM really late, Aquaraiders, Alpha Team, Dino Attack, Johnny Thunder, even Agents, Blacktron. You name it, if it's old it's great. I pretty much like every theme fro unique pieces. Storyline totally influences whether or not I am a huge fan of the theme.

SpecOperations9.jpg

Feel free to friend me!