Canama

Why craft the axe? I don't see any point in it. All it does is reduce your health and doesn't give any random crits. But if you find a point in it, go ahead, I guess. :)

Because the Horsemann's axe is a reskin of the Eyelander, and the two function in exactly the same way. This includes the "head" mechanic, even though it's not mentioned in the weapon's description. For every head you take (a kill means automatic decapitation) with it, you gain +15 max health and additional move speed (8%) up to a maximum of 4 heads. For every head you also gain +10 damage to a shield charge hit, from its base 50. This bonus goes up to 5 heads. The Demoman's eye also glows brighter for each head he takes. Decapitating an enemy Demoman will steal his heads as well, so you can sometimes gain more than one head from a kill. So in effect, it all boils down to whether you find the axe cooler than the sword or not. Edited by Katuko

Why craft the axe? I don't see any point in it. All it does is reduce your health and doesn't give any random crits. But if you find a point in it, go ahead, I guess. :)

Because the Horsemann's axe is a reskin of the Eyelander, and the two function in exactly the same way. This includes the "head" mechanic, even though it's not mentioned in the weapon's description. For every head you take (a kill means automatic decapitation) with it, you gain +15 max health and additional move speed (8%) up to a maximum of 4 heads. For every head you also gain +10 damage to a shield charge hit, from its base 50. This bonus goes up to 5 heads. The Demoman's eye also glows brighter for each head he takes. Decapitating an enemy Demoman will steal his heads as well, so you can sometimes gain more than one head from a kill. So in effect, it all boils down to whether you find the axe cooler than the sword or not.
Nice to know. I may have to go running around in Mann Manor and find some Haunted Metal, then...

*Insert some sort of banner or photograph here*

I find it kinda meh. The boss was interesting, but I don't like that they are piling all this wizardry stuff into TF2. It started out a lot more "spytech" than it is now. I found the Horsemann a lot more interesting as a boss, since he would come after you, on the ground, with a big friggin' axe and chop your head off. This new boss is basically just a floating eye with slow-moving rockets. The map is also too small to allow both boss-fighting and player-fighting at the same time, especially with all the uber-crit boosts flying around. It's mayhem, pure and simple. If you are close to he boss, you will either be gibbed or sent to the underworld. The underworld is an interesting concept, but it's basically just a linear path where you take constant damage on top of everyone trying to kill each other. I see players agreeing not to do this (even got kicked from a server for pushing someone into the water) but that means everyone get uber-crits. So I'm fine with people murdering each other in the regular portal. When the boss dies, it's nice to see (mostly) everyone agree on a cease-fire so that everyone can get into the red portal. Again, the skull area and the book is interesting, but the reward is kinda meh. Fancy gibs, really. I would have liked a random Halloween-costume piece instead. As it is, everyone grabs the gifts that drop without me ever seeing one, and once you've beaten the boss once there's no real reason to keep playing on the map. It becomes a crit-spam fest immediately. They also spam ghosts, which, again, is very annoying on such a small map. At least I got the Fallen Angel wings from the single-use cauldron everyone gets, and that was one of my most wanted Halloween items. I don't care about the devil horns or the cardboard robot suit or the Frankenstein outfit, but the wings are nice. That said, I almost feel "done" about TF2 Halloween 2011 already. I think I'll play on Mann Manor instead. Unless I feel the need to get the fly costume for Engineer, because the high-pitched voice that results in is almost too hilarious to pass up.

...Aaaaand the update has basically broken the game for Mac users (I.E. me), and the only way to play is without sound.Wonderful.-Canama

There's a reason that gamers still use windows.Valve has tried to bridge the gap for OSx, but you can't really complain when it doesn't work. At least they're trying.
I want you to hit me as hard as you can.

Something on your mind, Dear?

Hey, you created me. I didn't create some loser alter-ego to make myself feel better. Take some responsibility!

Gentlemen, Freebies, I would like to wave my Proof Of Purchase in all of your faces.

This.
BE QUIET SPAWNhttp://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/mad.gifOh. Hi.I heard that the Halloween update sucks. Is this true?

The Halloween update? Well, I got some okay items, including a seal mask. The map where you fight Monoculus is okay, though. I just wish BLU team would be more cooperative in taking down that ghoul. Anyone know what they are doing for Thanksgiving/Christmas/other upcoming holidays?Speaking of crafting, I'm not sure where to start. Probably when I get more items I don't need (I need more space in my backpack. I'll probably get it with a key purchase).... :P

My Comedies: The Krika Show (Season 1)
The Krika Show Season 2 

Halloween update definitely doesn't suck. My Sniper has the sickest vampire slayer costume on right now.

I agree with myself.
Thank you, me.@Creep: Eh...November 8th or something.

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

...Aaaaand the update has basically broken the game for Mac users (I.E. me), and the only way to play is without sound.Wonderful.-Canama

There's a reason that gamers still use windows.Valve has tried to bridge the gap for OSx, but you can't really complain when it doesn't work. At least they're trying.
Since I put money into a game that allegedly supports my OS just like Windows, and then something like this happens, I can in fact complain.If OS X wasn't officially supported, then you'd be right. But Steam claims that it works on both Mac and PC, so there is no excuse for it not working on both Mac and PC.-Canama

man remember when no one would dream of making a forum site without signatures

that was tight

• 3 weeks later...
Okay, I'm not even sure if this allowed or not, but it has to do with TF2.I'd like to advertise a project I've been organizing for a week now. It's called "The Big Blahh."tf2_banner_1.pngBasically it's a giant match, between BZP members, and some friends of mine. We need 8 more players. And we could use them ASAP. Just PM me, and get a Skype, and we're good to go.Basically what's going to happen is.. I'm just going to give you the summary of it.There are going to be 5 to 6 rounds. Each round is an hour. And for each round there will be different team captains. The team captains will pick who they want on their team. It will be 9 vs. 9. 9 Blu, 9 Red. And each team will be consisted of only ONE of each class.. However if we do not meet the requirement of 18, then we'll lower it to 16 and ban Pyros, because they are overpowered. :PServer hosting is provided by ShaySoft(One of my friend's somewhat of a company.) Also as another perk. Each round you can't play as the same class you did the last round. So for say.. The first round, you play a Scout. For the rest of the rounds, you can never play that class again.Regardless we'd love for any of you TF2 players to join us. Just need a Skype, and TF2. Please contact me in a PM if you are interested ASAP. Please and Thank you.

Edited by Garda

Guess who's back?

(>^.^)> It's Magic. ~(._.~)

Not me.

If anyhting you should ban Heavies and/or Demos, not Pyro. I may be a bit biased because it's my favorite class, but jeez, it takes a heck of a lot more effort to do well as Pyro than Soldier/Demo/Heavy. Just sayin'.

While that is true, but Pyros are extremely easy to play as. Anyone can be good at it(Except for me.), but the reason I say Pyros are overpowerred is because, then bounce ANY projectile. Bombs, rockets, arrows, stickies. And then they can burn people, and their flare gun provides far range. Also, if we were to ban Heavies, nobody would be able to break the turrets. :)

Guess who's back?

(>^.^)> It's Magic. ~(._.~)

Not me.

No class is overpowered. The nine classes are perfectly balanced.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

For goodness sake, turn off that obnoxious font.Pyros are only "overpowered" against new players, because at any higher skill level (yes, even basic pub servers) any Soldier or Demo can get kills far more easily via splash damage; and the Heavy has essentially taken over the Pyro's original ambush role after he got his spin-up buff.True, hitting people with the flames are easy. Just point in their general direction and sweep. However, due to the particle system, actually landing your max amount of damage (which is just above the syringe gun, of all things) means holding that stream perfectly on target at almost point blank. Igniting a group might be disruptive, but good players will simply shoot you dead because they know broad sweeps and afterburn deal very little damage.The Backburner and Degreaser provide the Pyro with decent primaries, but it's telling that one has a damage buff and the other is good because it lets you switch away from it ASAP. The flamer is not as terrible as some make it out to be, but it is certainly not a very effective weapon compared to other offensive classes.Shotgun is good for short-range, and may actually out-perform the flamers in some situations. Ditto for the flare gun, which is essentially my primary nowadays. Ignite, quick-switch, flare. 90 spike damage. This is a lot better than damage over time. The Heavy does fine because he does massive damage, but the Pyro can't afford to wait. The Axtinguisher and other melee weapons help with either damage or healing, allowing the Pyro to actually survive a fight without first getting major damage from enemy ramp-up. The Soldier and Demo survive for so long because they got distance, the Heavy got HP and 500 DPS, and the Scout can usually pop two shots off before the enemy can react. This is why the "puff-n-sting" combo may be so reviled: You have more time to see it coming, and you feel helpless to prevent it, despite it being harder to pull off than a minigun or other weapons at close range.The airblast is very versatile, true, but rocket splash does a lot of the same thing. Reflecting projectiles is hard to time right, and even when you pull it off you still need to aim the reflect properly. Shooting the rocket is point-and-click. Reflecting the rocket relies on prediction and timing. Having played Soldier too, I can attest to foiling reflect attempts simply by waiting for a premature blast and then firing. Or, I aim at the very edge of the reflection range, where it's next to impossible to avoid the splash damage. Even if you do reflect, it goes into the ground in front of you.Airblast is most useful for immobilizing a foe against a wall (something rockets can essentially do on open ground) or just pushing enemies away so that you can escape. Airblast has saved me against surprise attacks by Heavies several times, but the only times I have actually killed people via airblast are on Hightower, Upward and similar canyon maps. Even then, the tactic is not very effective against anyone who knows what they are doing.Pyro is easy to play, because you don't need to know much about the game in order to burn stuff. But once you and your enemies get good, the Pyro lags behind in terms of effectiveness. Pyro is a support class, really. He/she can protect sentries and allies from both projectiles, Spies and fire; and can hold his own in various situations. The class can also change roles depending on loadout. The problem lies in that ambushing is done better by Spy, Heavy and Soldier; support is done better by a Heavy/Medic; fire can be extinguished by plenty of other methods and Spies get foiled by just being attentive.TL;DR: The Pyro is far from overpowered. He's not terribly underpowered, but he lacks a true role on the battlefield. He is wicked fun to play, and can be very lethal at close range and even long range if you are a beast with the Flare Gun, but unfortunately it is often better to roll Soldier. I agree with King of Shadows in that most of the classes are balanced. There are just a few small things here and there that needs to get tweaked.Addendum: Heavies are your main Sentry breakers? Then you are simply doing it wrong. Demomen are far, far more effective. It's kind of their job, after all. Spies disable them and Snipers can take out the Engie, while Soldiers can spam from long range.Oh, and also: I can join your tournament if you want me in. :D

Edited by Katuko

^ This in a nutshell.Degreaser or Backburner, either way you go, you're always out of range. Detonator is a horrible secondary, Flare Gun you have to aim high, and the only guaranteed kill is to run up close with an axe.Also, I generally destroy turrets with my sniper rifle, so any class can do it.

Edited by Tyler Durden

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

Except Pyro, incidentally. Flares only work if you can kill the Engie with them first, and even then you would need your team to take out the actual sentry unless you were planning on standing there and get killed while taking potshots at it.At least the Flare Gun is a good murder tool as long as you can aim with it. I still think Pyro should be able to carry both a shotgun and a flare gun, given how much he must rely on each. Or just fix the flamer physics already. Longer but more narrow flame should do nicely, forcing you to aim better but also increasing range and damage; but then you are approaching Heavy territory, so something like the lightning gun from Quake (hit-scan) or a napalm launcher (lobs burning liquid with a small splash radius) might be better. Of course, those can be unlocks as well, but the Pyro at its core needs to be fixed.

Edited by Katuko

Literally the only way I can get kills with Pyro is W+M1 with the Backburner (and the Flamethrower and Degreaser too, but not as consistently) or hanging back and shooting flares. (I find aiming them rather easy - and I am so terrible at aiming that I still don't have the achievement for getting 25 headshots; I'm sitting at a total of 19 across my entire TF2 career. I find projectiles easier to aim than hitscan weapons for some reason.) Neither option is as effective as, say, rockets or grenades or the minigun.Anyone who says Pyro is overpowered is wrong. He's one of the easiest classes to learn, yeah, but he isn't overpowered by any stretch of the imagination.-Canama

man remember when no one would dream of making a forum site without signatures

that was tight

The Halloween update? Well, I got some okay items, including a seal mask. The map where you fight Monoculus is okay, though. I just wish BLU team would be more cooperative in taking down that ghoul.Anyone know what they are doing for Thanksgiving/Christmas/other upcoming holidays?Speaking of crafting, I'm not sure where to start. Probably when I get more items I don't need (I need more space in my backpack. I'll probably get it with a key purchase).... :P

They'll probably release 10 new hats and a couple reskinned weapons.Anyone hear a frequent Prophunt player?

*Insert some sort of banner or photograph here*

I find projectiles easier to aim than hitscan weapons for some reason.)

Projectiles use bigger hit boxes than hit-scan rays, so that would be why. The projectile itself is also bigger. This is why you need to be seemingly pixel-perfect with the sniper rifle, but the Huntsman registers headshots even when the arrow doesn't appear to touch the head at all.@BZCoolness: I've played prophunt, but got bored with it after a while. It can be pretty fun, though! :) Edited by Katuko

Scouts are actually one of the worst things to meet as a Pyro, because he outclasses you in both close-range burst damage and speed, allowing him to "weapon heckle" by running in for a meatshot while you pull out your ragned weapon before retreating and spamming pistol shots when you do the opposite. Before the airblast (and later the Degreaser) was added, good Scouts saw Pyros more than free kills than anything. Now the battle is more or less even, depending on whose skill is better and what weapons they have equipped. Mad Milk is excellent against Pyro, but BONK is more or less useless since you still can't "dodge" the airblast and thus only get trapped. Similarly, crit flares kill Scouts quickly, but trying to use only the flamer is suicide.But yeah, Scout... he is either brutally effective, or he dies in seconds. It depends on the player, the map and the enemy team. Scout excels at picking off lone targets via sudden ambush, but he gets owned by explosives and recently the airblast (if caught before he can do enough damage) due to quick-switch combo attacks.

Edited by Katuko

Garda, the way you type makes me want to headbutt you in the face.Anyway, my main problem with the Pyro is with the Degreaser Airblast+Axtinguisher combo. I think the Degreaser's airblast ought to be the same as the Backburner's, or removed entirely.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Garda, the way you type makes me want to headbutt you in the face.Anyway, my main problem with the Pyro is with the Degreaser Airblast+Axtinguisher combo. I think the Degreaser's airblast ought to be the same as the Backburner's, or removed entirely.

The whole purpose of the Degreaser is to puff-n-sting, altering the airblast would defeat that purpose. Honestly, if you let a Pyro, or any class really, close enough to melee you, you deserve the death.

Does anyone have any tips for practicing aim with the Sniper Rifle? Because mine is terrible and I need to fix that.-Canama

Try messing with your mouse sensitivity.

Personally I think it's best to fire up tr_walkway on your own server. It is set to auto-spawn bots walking forwards without shooting, which means that you can practice aiming at moving targets from different angles and distances without worrying about them killing you. Once you are decent at killing them, you can move on to practicing on "real" bots or players in pub servers.Being a good sniper isn't all about headshots, though. The most important targets (medics, other snipers) can be dropped by a charged bodyshot in a pinch. Sure, some will chide you for it, but screw that. Who's dead, huh? :lol: That said, it's always good to know how to headshot, especially when you suddenly got an overhealed heavy on your hands, or you will only have time for a quick shot before the enemy gets behind cover.I find that my sniping skills go up and down seemingly at random. Some days I can headshot three people in a row almost as fast as my rifle reloads, other days I will completely miss a stationary heavy even when taking the time to aim.

Edited by Katuko

I get Pyro kills the most as a Sniper, in close combat too. It's weird as all heck that me Bushwacka is faster than their flamethrower.

GT: Voyagerin

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong, is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong,

it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

Katuko, just for that you've earned yourself a place on my list of people I despise without proper reason. I really think the Degreaser has ruined the pyro; made her nothing but a "poof 1 flame switch axtinguisher" class. The "melee insta kill from behind" function is filled already by the spy. We don't need two classes that do that.

-Rover