Toa Helryx Leader of the Order of Mata Nui

Toa Helyrx Toa Helyrx: Front Toa Helyrx (no-necklace) Toa Helyrx: Back

My Toa Helryx MOC for the upcoming canonization contest over at TTV. I have been working on her on and off ever since the contest was first announced. A few things of note with my design:

• CCBS and Simplicity I am sure there are going to be a lot more complex MOCs in the contest. I expect it in fact. However I decided to stick to what I am used to which is primarily CCBS. I figured I can justify this for a few reasons. First, Helryx is described according to her articles in BioSector01 as being both similar to the Toa Mata yet unlike any Toa seen elsewhere. As such the smooth lines of CCBS maker her look foreign to the G1 style, while the voodoo ball on her chest and the Miru Nuva call back to the 2001-2002 sets. The silver armoring is again meant to be a tribute to the Toa Nuva and their distinct armor; all while highlighting Helryx's role as a warrior. If there is one thing I do think I failed to capture though... is the weathered surface that Helryx is described with in canon. 
  • Lime there are four primary colors in this MOC, classic Lego blue (Mata Blue), silver, black and lime. There are a few shades of both light and dark bluish grays, and a bit of gunmetal gray on the mace with some transparent neon green and neon orange on the model; but they are few and far between. I wanted to make those four primary colors stand out, the bright blue again a call back to the Toa Mata, the silver as already stated to the Nuva, and lime a call back to Toa Hahli. I kept the transparent colors at a minimum, since the many transparent CCBS shells seem more fitting the style of G2 than it does G1 which tended to have solid colors.
  • A Warrior to the End Helryx as Leader of the Order of Mata Nui does not live the traditional Toa Code. As such, she kills in battle and I wanted her deadliness to be apparent. She has her Mace and Shield which are already established in canon. The shield takes an influence from the Wakandan shields Captain America wields in Avengers: Infinity War. As such its a small shield, fast and agile, with the ability to double as a weapon itself with its forward facing prongs. She also has throwing darts on her right wrist, and a small dagger on her left thigh.
  • Sillouhette With broad shoulders, a thin waist, and average proportional limbs I wanted Helrrx to feel familiar to the Toa Mata style. 

I decided to dust off my old Flickr account for this, you can find more photos of Helryx over there: https://www.flickr.com/photos/96380166@N07/albums/72157714181205403

Helyrx vs Rahkshi

Edited by Xboxtravis
  • Like 2

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

Very interesting design!  My opinion of CCBS shells has always been a bit mixed, but you've done a really nice job with how you chose to distribute your different colors.  I also really like a lot of the little choices you made, like the armor skirt and what looks to me like a medallion on a chain- they add character in a way I don't usually think about when looking at MoCs.  Shield and mace look a bit weird, but I've found it hard to make decent-looking maces or shields that work with CCBS fists so I'm not particularly worked up over that.

All that said, though, it doesn't quite feel like I'm looking at a Helryx figure.  She's supposed to be old and frail, and the warrior you've created looks like she could take on a Makuta with her bare hands!  I like her, and you've done a good job with her, but I dunno if she's really fitting for the contest...

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )