Bits N' Bricks Dives Into Bricklink

Ethan Vincent and Brian Crecente said they'd be back with more episodes of the Bits N' Bricks Podcast and today they have delivered! In Episode 47: The Rise of BrickLink, they tell us two stories: how LEGO Digital Designer came into existence and how a website created to enable people to buy and sell plastic bricks ended up developing Stud.io, which has now supplanted LDD. Hear from head of AFOL Community Engagement Tormod Askildsen, author of Virtual LEGO and former LEGO employee Tim Courtney, LEGO Digital Designer Qube transition lead Tue Jakobsen, BrickLink head of engineering Junam Kim, Qube CEO Servan Keondjian, and former owner of Bricklink and mother of Dan Jezec, the founder of BrickLink, Eliska Jezkov, as they recount the tale. It's a must-listen for any fan!

View the full article

It sure is nice to have one more episode of this podcast to listen to. While I'm already familiar with much of the history of LDD thanks to previous episodes, I liked learning about the backstory of Bricklink and its Stud.io design software (with a rather tragic irony that both were originally started by someone who passed away at a rather young age).

But while the recent news that Stud.io will be replacing LDD as the main Lego design software for fans might have caught some people by surprise, I was actually not that surprised at all. Considering the fact that LDD has not really seen any updates in the last five years and that Bricklink and Stud.io had been acquired by the Lego Group not long ago, I always felt that it was only a matter of time before the switch would be declared official and LDD would be essentially shut down (though apparently it'll still remain in use for those working within the company).

Anyway, just having another episode to listen to was a fun surprise I had today, and even though there's no set schedule to any future content, I'll be looking forward to whatever they come up with next.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.