Custom Vya Nui Online Game Ignika

00dude00

I do 3D artwork, and was thinking of making the ignika from the voya nui online game this:Ignika.jpgI would make it in 3D, then send it off to shapeways, or some other 3D printing company. If things work out as planned, It would be nearly indistinguishable from an actual mask made by lego. I have a few questions though, first off, would you buy it? it would be the only mask of its kind in the world. Also, how much do you think it should be sold for? Should it be in plain white plastic (for you to paint yourself), colored (if so, which color?), or metalic?thanks!

Hate to be a party pooper, but interest topics are against the rules.But to answer your questions: Chances are, people would want to see the completed, physical mask before they buy it. After costs for printing, labor, etc., the price would be quite high. Hundreds of dollars high, probably more depending on how detailed it is. If you were to go the 3D printing route, you'd be better off having it cut out of foam (since it's cheaper to cut than solid plastic), and then making a mold of it and casting the mask in plastic. That way you can dye the plastic a base color like black/white and then paint it yourself.Seriously, though, 3D printing is mondo expensive since you almost always have to take it to a machining company, and pay them to use their equipment for however long it takes. If you honestly wanted to make one, you'd be better off building it from scratch since it will only cost a tiny fraction of the price it'd take to get it machined professionally.

kaiji.jpg

KUYASHII

­

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: ImaGonnaGetYou

i would buy something like that if the prices were right. you should check with a 3d prining company etc to figure out the prices

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Seriously, though, 3D printing is mondo expensive since you almost always have to take it to a machining company, and pay them to use their equipment for however long it takes. If you honestly wanted to make one, you'd be better off building it from scratch since it will only cost a tiny fraction of the price it'd take to get it machined professionally.

From the company I've been looking at for printing, I know that at most it shouldn't be more than $60, at the least it will be $30 though. So yes, you are right it is a bit pricey, but I think people are willing to pay to own a mask that is one of a kind. If not, then I'll keep it for myself. So I wont be taking too much of a risk.more information will come sooner on... I'll probably start the 3D work this weekend. Once that is done, it will probably take 2-4 weeks to get a pic of the final product on here.In case you are skeptical on my ability of making a decent mask in 3D, I've made LOTS of them... way too many :P one example is my avatar, lol Edited by 00dude00

I made a replica Halo 1 pistol, and a replica Gorgon pistol from Gears of war, both full scale, and the pistol would have coust about 70 and the gorgon would have cost 100ish, you should be able to do a mask for about 15 bucks if that man, if you use the right printer. I used Auto desk inventor as my modeling program, its awesome! good luck, and you might want to consider getting it machined out of alluminum or something, that would be awesome, if it turns out good, i would maybe get one, but if you could get it machined out of alluminum i would almost %100 percent buy it!Sounds like an epic idea, good luck!MC

Were you a member of the Protosquad? if so please PM me! I'm looking for Grey Plastic Krana Kal, Or GPKK. I only need the 8 Variations of the GPKK to have The only complete collection of BIONICLE in the world! Please contact me if you, or someone you know has any GPKK!

gpkkset.jpg

Mask Collector

MC

great! I'll have to look into that. Right now, what I'm concerned about though is the plus rod either being too loose, or too thick to fit into the mouthpiece. I just finished it, and If my measurments are correct, it should be within .01 mm of the actual lego plus rod... but you never know with these things! I've been looking at different materials, they all seem to have different ups and downs though, so i've been having a hard time deciding! In the end, If enough people want these, then I will possibly print them in different materials. Aliminum looks good, and is a LOT cheaper than... lets say gold! :P, but the only negative about it is that it has a lower level of detail, and the mask would have to be almost twice as thick as a plastic mask (which would be very inconveniant). Right now I'll probably go with plastic, seeing as it's slightly flexible (to keep those antenna things from breaking), and you can get some really cool metallic effects wih paint (plus, then it can be gold). example: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5131/5400615144_cfa6b4da4a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

O.K update. I've been busy, but I now have some work to show! here is a WIP model that I threw together over the past two days. This is NOT done, it will still undergo extensive work. anyhow, here it is, let me know what you think of it so far. :)mask_wip.png

Great job but why are the "antennas" bent forward?

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a long time, but I'm finally finished! plan to send my model off to shapeways sometime this week, but until then, here is a 3D render of the to be printed model! Also, I have a question. Am I allowed to make another topic for this in the art forum?front: http://www.brickshel...oj/molfront.pngside: http://www.brickshel...roj/molside.pngback: http://www.brickshel...roj/molback.pnghttp://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/816136s/Moviesceneredoproj/mask_of_life_gold_render.png

Edited by Black Six