lego is thinking of making bionicle merch?

I filled this out this morning. The survey mainly asks about opinions on what kind of Lego-related merchandise people would be interested in buying - shirts, hoodies, plushies, coasters, vases, lamps, books, etc. - and what kind of style or content people might want to see on those items.

Bionicle is only very briefly mentioned as one of several possibilities for t-shirt designs featuring "vintage themes", so don't get too excited. 

• Like 1

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Lego seems to have declared bionicle a "vintage theme" which certainly makes me feel old. It suggests its' going to take on a position similar to castle and space. That is something that Lego throws out an odd reference to every now and then and maybe makes a D2C set every now and then for some extremely high price. Mostly likely built brick replicas of the old sets as Lego can no longer produce the moulds that made them. Best case scenario is that we see brick builds of the 2010 Makuta and Mata Nui robots. Worst case is that we just get more odes to Tahu.

• Like 1

It's time to move on.

12 hours ago, confused piraka said:

Tahu's seem to come in waves of 2 

01-02

08-09

15-26

22-23

anyone else notice this?

I mean here in Europe the stars were released in early 2010 and weren't out of production until the end of the year so as far as I'm concerned there was a good gap there. Either way though Lego's current strategy is largely that of reiterating their old themes with the most easily recognisable icons to draw in the highest number of people (mainly 20 to 40 something nostalgics). I'm not particularly happy with this strategy as it means there's a very good chance it's just gonna be more odes to Tahu. Although it does also mean a decently high chance of a bohrok replica being created or perhaps even a piraka. Either way I wouldn't buy it as these products only target collectors and are not designed for children. Lego has no real interest in actually bringing back themes for a new generation. They seem to assign certain themes to certain age groupings and then try and keep them hooked with the odd release here and there. As far as I'm concerned it stifles Lego's internal creativity and stops them from churning out new themes like they did in the 2000s and before. There are all sorts of concepts they could experiment with that they just won't. A Greco-Roman theme is long overdue I think but it doesn't seem like it'll ever happen. All we get is that very expensive colosseum set a few minifigures, and perhaps some of the Atlantis sets? It's a theme that should have happened by now but just hasn't. It's not like I buy this stuff so it doesn't effect me either way. 

It's time to move on.

12 hours ago, confused piraka said:

Tahu's seem to come in waves of 2 

01-02

08-09

15-26

22-23

anyone else notice this?

There was no Tahu in 2009, and we'll have to wait a while longer to see if there'll be one in 2026. I was ready to question 2022 as well, but realised I'd forgotten about the goofy 90 Years Of Play thing. 

Canister set characters getting two years back-to-back also wasn't unique to just Tahu, it was commonplace throughout Bionicle's run. We saw it with the Toa Mata/Nuva, the Toa Metru/Hordika, the Toa Inika/Mahri, even Gresh and Skrall. 

16 minutes ago, masterchirox580 said:

I'm not particularly happy with this strategy as it means there's a very good chance it's just gonna be more odes to Tahu. 

Unfortunately, you're probably right. I totally understand the trope of the red one being the face of the franchise, but I imagine a lot of fans and collectors would prefer to see other sets and characters get some acknowledgement as well. 

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

18 minutes ago, Nato G said:

Unfortunately, you're probably right. I totally understand the trope of the red one being the face of the franchise, but I imagine a lot of fans and collectors would prefer to see other sets and characters get some acknowledgement as well. 

I think Takanuva is also a very good bet for this sort of "future" for bionicle. I put that in quotations as it's not really a future with a new storyline or anything. Takanuva is also very recognisable due to the 2003 film. I could also see some brick built masks perhaps, such as the ignika. Either way it's not really a G3 as we'd like to have seen it as it will just be replicas of the old sets. I think this is also because the audience is way smaller than other Lego themes such as castle or classic space. Bionicle has a decent sized audience but it is no where near as recognisable as the generic old themes of the 70s and 80s.

Edited by masterchirox580

It's time to move on.