Everybody Likes Bionicle Prototypes, But Where Are The Hf Ones

Meiko

So, if you ask pretty much any member on BZPower or other LEGO networks, chances are they will have at least one prototype piece. Now that BIONICLE has been over for a couple years now, I still have yet to see a Hero Factory prototype piece. I haven't found one in searches or discussions, and am wondering why there aren't any floating around in the world.Surely LEGO still uses prototypes to design new pieces in themes, especially in ones like Hery Factory. If that's the case, where do they go afterwards?If anybody has seen one, has one, knows about one, or anything, I'd be glad to hear about it, and I'm sure others would as well.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Prototype pieces are not distributed to the public under most circumstances. The BIONICLE ones provided by BZPower were an exception.Some prototype pieces are visible in the New York ToyFair pics (the lower half of the Plasma Shooters the Heroes wield), as well as in leaked preliminary pics from retailers' catalogs, although the latter are not allowed to be distributed on BZPower.

It'd be a nice thing if they were distributed though, because I feel that Hero Factory pieces are more useful in more ways than most BIONICLE pieces. Also, BIONICLE prototype pieces that I've seen usually appear in strange colors, and are hard to use in MOCs sometimes. With Hero Factory, there are plenty of bright colors already in regular production that obscure colors of prototypes wouldn't effect it's usage in an MOC.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

It'd be a nice thing if they were distributed though, because I feel that Hero Factory pieces are more useful in more ways than most BIONICLE pieces. Also, BIONICLE prototype pieces that I've seen usually appear in strange colors, and are hard to use in MOCs sometimes. With Hero Factory, there are plenty of bright colors already in regular production that obscure colors of prototypes wouldn't effect it's usage in an MOC.

Sure, it'd be a "nice thing", but as it is the gift of the many prototype BIONICLE parts to BZPower staff to distribute to users was the exception rather than the rule. If BZPower or another site wants to get some prototype Hero Factory parts to distribute, it might be possible, but it sure wouldn't be a piece of cake to arrange and it would be entirely at TLG's discretion.

The pieces probably go either into a vault (literally or metaphorically) or to some of the people who designed them. I remember one member who had some relation to a part designer got some prototypes a couple years back. Other than that, though they probably just stay in-house.Also, the batch of prototypes B6 got was a one-time thing. I don't think he's getting additional shipments.

OpAXNpl.jpg

Even though we probably will never get them, it'd be cool to see some. Technically we could see some in leaked preliminary images, but that wouldn't have the same effect...

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I doubt half of BZP has a prototype piece, let alone any member. I can only think right now of like, around 10.But yeah, I would love for a prototype HF piece.

I know a good deal of people who have prototype BIONICLE pieces, including myself, Aanchir, Lyichir, Thoron, and more.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

HF is a new toyline. Give it a bit of time and maybe its own fansite and some may start surfacing.

I doubt it needs its own fan site. BZP and LEGO are already on good terms and Hero Factory has a fairly solid base here, so if they were going to send prototypes to anyone it'd probably be us.

I doubt half of BZP has a prototype piece, let alone any member. I can only think right now of like, around 10.

Quite a few do, actually. As well as contest prizes I'm pretty sure they're included in the return packaging for most MOCs sent in to Brickfair and stuff (that's how I got one).However it's a stretch to say that pretty much anyone has some. Half is still a very high estimate too.

OpAXNpl.jpg

HF is a new toyline. Give it a bit of time and maybe its own fansite and some may start surfacing.

I doubt it needs its own fan site. BZP and LEGO are already on good terms and Hero Factory has a fairly solid base here, so if they were going to send prototypes to anyone it'd probably be us.
That's why I said "maybe". I figured the fanbase here may suffice.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I doubt half of BZP has a prototype piece, let alone any member. I can only think right now of like, around 10.

Quite a few do, actually. As well as contest prizes I'm pretty sure they're included in the return packaging for most MOCs sent in to Brickfair and stuff (that's how I got one).However it's a stretch to say that pretty much anyone has some. Half is still a very high estimate too.
Also, you can get them by stopping by the BZPower table at BrickFair as well. That's how I got a light blue Skrall blade.The problem with that Skrall blade though is that it's color wasn't used in BIONICLE for a while. With Hero Factory, all those bright colors allow somebody to make an MOC in any color (which is one of the reasons I like Hero Factory sets more than BIONICLE sets).

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

But you could just as easily use the BIONICLE parts in Hero Factory MOCs. It might be a bit more difficult given some of the aesthetic differences, but it should be doable.Or just find the right BIONICLE pieces. I managed to make a small bird with a blended gold/trans-black Strakk helmet, even though the colors I could use were pretty much limited to what Carapar had and some dark gold.Not that I wouldn't appreciate some HF pieces in crazy colors, it just seems unlikely any time soon.

OpAXNpl.jpg

But you could just as easily use the BIONICLE parts in Hero Factory MOCs. It might be a bit more difficult given some of the aesthetic differences, but it should be doable.

Yeah, you're right. It might be hard to use on a regular hero, do the streamlined cladding that wouldn't blend with BIONICLE pieces well, but it could probably be done with a larger, more TECHNIC-based MOC like Rocka XL, Witch Doctor, or Black Phantom. I'll work on it someday, but currently I've been working on a different, much larger Hero Factory MOC.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick