Other Species

Something has bothered me for a long time...The Matoran are the majority species of the Matoran universe, created to perform tasks that would keep the Great Spirit robot operational.Why, then, were other species, such as the Vortixx and the Skakdi, created? What roles do they fulfill in the Universe's functioning?-Shyyrn

"Let me realize that my past failures at follow-through are no indication of my future performance...

...They're just healthy little fires that are going to light up my resolve."

Probably for more specialized tasks.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Such as what?From what I gather, pretty much every species other than the Matoran range, in terms of morality, from amoral to evil. The Vortixx manufactured weapons. The Shadowed One's species was neglected by Mata Nui (hardly the sort of thing to happen to a species with an important role to play), and resorted to being mercenaries.The only non-Matoran individuals who seem good are those individuals in the Order of Mata Nui--individuals who had to be specifically recruited and are thus probably atypical of their species.-Shyyrn

"Let me realize that my past failures at follow-through are no indication of my future performance...

Such as what?From what I gather, pretty much every species other than the Matoran range, in terms of morality, from amoral to evil.

That's basically irrelevant, because nothing in the MU was intended to be sapient. They weren't supposed to have the capacity to be evil or good, just machines.And as for examples, well, the Skakdi are much stronger physically than Toa, for example. Vortixx is harder to guess though. It's possible we might not be able to recognize their original purposes anymore too, whether just due to sapience causing them to do totally different things, or due to later tampering such as the Brotherhood with the Skakdi. Some might have been made after sapience in an attempt to replace others that went off and did things they weren't supposed to, or to balance against them, etc. All kinds of reasons are possible.

The Shadowed One's species was neglected by Mata Nui (hardly the sort of thing to happen to a species with an important role to play)

But we know Mata Nui neglected everybody, so that reasoning too is irrelevant. He didn't care what went on inside him as long as they kept him functioning. Also, I don't recall where you got that idea; sounds familiar, but it may have been TSO's claim, and he's evil, so not exactly trustworthy. What he might have selfishly seen as neglect may simply have been Mata Nui being busy with other things.

The only non-Matoran individuals who seem good are those individuals in the Order of Mata Nui--individuals who had to be specifically recruited and are thus probably atypical of their species.

Interesting perspective, but I highly doubt it. You know how I'm often pointing out on here how BZP often comes across as mostly or totally not liking change, but it's really just a vocal few, and those who did like changes simply tend to be more laid-back about it. Contentedness breeds peacefulness, but uncontentedness breeds attention-getting.The same principle can be applied to evil beings. Good beings in the MU you tend not to notice because they're not upsetting the proverbial apple cart. It's the few who become villains -- and they tend to come from more powerful species than Matoran, a simple statistical likelihood -- who go around interfering and thus getting more of our attention. Stories are all about conflict, after all, and thus in stories you're going to meet villains more often than those just quietly doing their normal job. And going to meet the select few picked to be Order "heroes" than the normal ones too.But yes, I'm sure that's true to some extent, like with TSO's species or Skakdi, etc. But "only" is almost certainly way off. :)I agree with Taipu1's guess about Vortixx; makes sense.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I think the Skakdi were intended as guards to prevent Matoran from venturing down into the dangerous Southern lands, opening the foot hatch, and getting sucked out into space. :) But seriously, that particular species had the purpose of doing work that was too dangerous for Matoran, such as dangerous mining operations. Then the Makuta messed with them. And I agree with Taipu's theory on the Vortixx. While Metru Nui and other places likely had forges and whatnot for making tools, etc, there's probably some stuff that the robot would need assembly lines or factories to make. TSO's group seems to be a mystery, but the robot was meant to adapt to change and challenges. Mata Nui could have made these particular species to adress challenges and problems he faced on specific planets, then decided to keep them around as an insurance policy againest him running into the same problem somewhere else. Sapience and idleness turned them rogue.

Edited by fishers64

They had their own role, but the sapience caused minor species to forget and do what they want.

The link is mildly patronizing, but I understood your point. :PBut that raises another question: If the minor species forgot their role, why didn't the Matoran?-Shyyrn

But that raises another question: If the minor species forgot their role, why didn't the Matoran?-Shyyrn

I'm sure many of them did, there were just so many more. Statistics saves the day again. :P

But that raises another question: If the minor species forgot their role, why didn't the Matoran?-Shyyrn

I'm sure many of them did, there were just so many more. Statistics saves the day again. :P
That, and the fact that the Matoran had been around for longer, causing them to establish a culture around their central purpose. I'm sure a few would have dirvated, but most would have just gone along with their society.

That, and the fact that the Matoran had been around for longer, causing them to establish a culture around their central purpose. I'm sure a few would have dirvated, but most would have just gone along with their society.
Yes. Their whole society revolves around Unity, Duty, and Destiny. How can they forget if all the others are shoving it in their faces?

aouROFb.png

Yes. Their whole society revolves around Unity, Duty, and Destiny. How can they forget if all the others are shoving it in their faces?

Hmm... if that is the case, then why did no other species also abide by Unity, Duty, Destiny?After all, if the role of each species was to keep some aspect of Mata Nui operational, why were only the Matoran indoctrinated (that is the most appropriate word for a philosophy handed to you on a platter) with the Three Virtues?-Shyyrn

Hmm... if that is the case, then why did no other species also abide by Unity, Duty, Destiny?

He was talking about Matoran society contrasted with other species' different societies. Maybe they all did originally, and most lost it, Matoran just hanging on due to (like I said) statistics, but it's also possible it was only given to Matoran since they're the major point of the MU.Or maybe other species had their own version. Who knows? But again, you're assuming that only the Matoran stayed good. As I pointed out above, it's more logical that most members of most species remained good, and that the villains are the exception, not the rule. Just more noticeable. So maybe if Bionicle ever had delved seriously into enough other species we might find that most of them do indeed hold to the Three Virtues. :) Edited by bonesiii

Hmm... if that is the case, then why did no other species also abide by Unity, Duty, Destiny?

He was talking about Matoran society contrasted with other species' different societies. Maybe they all did originally, and most lost it, Matoran just hanging on due to (like I said) statistics, but it's also possible it was only given to Matoran since they're the major point of the MU.Or maybe other species had their own version. Who knows? But again, you're assuming that only the Matoran stayed good. As I pointed out above, it's more logical that most members of most species remained good, and that the villains are the exception, not the rule. Just more noticeable. So maybe if Bionicle ever had delved seriously into enough other species we might find that most of them do indeed hold to the Three Virtues. :)
Well, the Matoran were made by the Great Beings. The rest of the other species were made by Mata Nui. He might not have felt moral training was essential to the tasks that they were assigned to perform. Further, these species were not exactly treated to the best working conditions in the world - mining and factory work, which might have brought up some resentment. Some Matoran got to sit up in crystal towers contemplating the stars. The average factory worker would likely envy that job.

well i would compare it to a car factory the factory may have made the cars but another company created the robotics/working that are neccesary to biuld that car and yet again the parts company bought material from another company.So you see the matoran also depend on the other species while the other species also depend on them. it is like a never ending cycle od dependence on each other nad this cycle keeps the Great Spirit running smoothly at least temporarily.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.