To Save The World!

OOC: I think Nihilo will introduce himself to the Coalition right about now...IC: Nihilo decided it was time to reveal himself. Repulsing the windows of the conference room open, he hovered through them. He could feel the anger coming from the one he identified as Grand Cross, no doubt at his intrusion. It was negative energy, and he loved it. He fueled himself off of it. "I am Nihilo." he stated. "I have come to offer my services to the Coalition. You would do well to accept my offer."IC (Surge): "Alright then, let's find her!" Surge went up to the nearest officer. "Excuse me, do you know where we could find Jona MacTaggert?"

Edited by King Joe

IC:Charles Buckle groaned and blinked in the darkness. He tried to get up, but found he couldn't move; a set of leather straps kept him tied down to a cold metal table. He wracked his brain, trying to remember just what had happened to him. He'd gotten out of his cab and was headed for the ferry to the Italian mainland; he'd just finished a business convention in Palermo and was eager to get back home by morning. Then he'd heard a women call out to him, and then there'd been this... this buzzing... then, blackness.Harsh, neon lights lit up overhead, nearly blinding Charles. With a whirring of gears the table began to rotate, turning the metal table and bringing it to face a large window. A figure stood watching him on the other side, and as Charles's vision adjusted to the light he got a better view of their features. Charles had a certain image of what a mad scientist looked like: he'd expected the labcoat, the smug grin, and the somewhat eccentric glasses.He hadn't expected the scientist to be a woman though. And he certainly hadn't expected the "Han Shot First" t-shirt, either."Oh, good, you're finally awake!" said Hivemind, her voice dissonantly chipper. "Now, before we get things started, I'd just like to ask you a few questions. Do you have any allergies? Any disabilities I should know about? You understand, Mr. Buckle, this is a very tricky procedure, so I'd like to be informed of any possible complications beforehand.""Please... just let me go," Charles pleaded. "I... I have a wife... two children..."Hivemind casually picked up a wallet off a table - his wallet - and flicked through it, looking at a photo on the inside."Yes... your wife seems like a wonderful lady. Granted, her hair looks a little more gray than brunette these days, but she still loves you, doesn't she?" she muttered. "Funny though... the woman I saw you leaving that hotel with was blonde. Mr. Buckle, somehow I don't think you'll be sorely missed if this goes wrong.""What... what are you going to do with me?"Panels slid back in the room, and a series of emitters descended from the ceiling."Well, we're gonna start things off with a massive dose of Omega radiation," explained Hivemind. "Now, you need special genes for OR to do anything other than just make you very dead, and you don't have 'em. Fortunately, I’ve injected you with a few chemicals that should trick your body into thinking it does; let’s find out of they work! If everything goes right, this test will be able to prove the effects of external factors on the development of superpowers.”“Please... don’t...”“Here we are GO!The emitters glowed orange-yellow, bathing Charles in an unearthly light. He screamed in agony; it felt like the most basic molecules in his body were being torn apart and rearranged.“And now...” Hivemind shouted theatrically, “Time to release the bees!“What?-”Vents opened in the walls, and a swarm of insects flooded the chamber. On the other side of the window, all that could be seen was a swirl of bugs and an orange glow. But, even over the buzzing that filled the air, the cries of pain were unmistakable. Hivemind stared down at a computer readout and frowned."Mr. Buckle?" she asked."Y-y-yes?" Charles whimpered between screams."Well, it's very likely you're about to die. Probably within the next few seconds, and definitely very painfully," Hivemind explained. "Could you possibly describe what is happening to you at this moment? You understand, I ask this for the future of science. Please try to be as detailed as possible, future research may depend upon your assistance."The emitters slowed to a stop, revealing the corpse of the former Mr. Charles Buckle, scarred by bee stings and radiation burns, and hundreds of dead insects littered across the floor. Whether he'd died from the bugs or the radiation was something Hivemind wouldn't be able to determine until she could perform an autopsy."So... that's a no, then?"---Her latest experiment having lead to another failure - not that she’d call it a failure to her Coalition superiors; after all, now she’d ruled out another way it didn’t work - Hivemind stepped out of her lab and up a winding staircase. A panel slid open, and Hivemind stepped out of the darkness into the bright Sicilian sunlight. The panel locked shut behind her, looking for all the world like an ordinary bookshelf.Hivemind stared out the window at the blue-green waters below. After her last lab, a secluded little place out in the jungles of Brazil, got knocked over by some accursed Leaguer by the name of Maple Man, Hivemind spent a good deal of time working on building a new home base. It hadn’t been easy, and she’d needed to go out on a few petty robberies and heists just to acquire the funds for it, but at long last she’d finished her new lair. It was called the Ali D'Argento, sweeping off the edge of a cliff like a brilliant, shining wing of steel and glass. To all the world it appeared to be a normal, if slightly flashy, house, but hidden in the cliffside below were the labs where Hivemind performed her somewhat questionable experiments. She’d had to repair it a little after the Technax invasion, but by now everything had gotten back to normal by now.Lounging on the couch, Hivemind stared out one of the house’s massive windows at the seaside below. The building was covered in windows, to create the illusion of transparency. The more open the house looked, the less it looked like its owner had to hide. There were, of course, plenty of secret areas to conduct Coalition business in - Hivemind wasn’t a fool - but what was important was that it looked like it had nothing to hide. So far it had worked, and most of the people in the nearest town seemed content to just ignore the eccentric lady who lived by the seaside.Bored, Hivemind pulled a remote out of the couch cushions and flicked across the television channels. News station, news station, some soap opera (apparently someone was also someone’s half-brother, or possibly just dead, it was hard to tell), another news something, an ad for something called AlienAid, a relief concert to support survivors of the Technax invasion... all of it boring. Hivemind switched off the television, rolled off the couch, and headed into the kitchen. She pulled a few glasses from a cabinet and poured herself a drink.Well, she had a dead body in her lab, so Hivemind supposed she needed to autopsy him, then dump him in the ocean or something. Then she’d have to go out and find a new test subject, which was gradually becoming more of a chore; she’d taken to grabbing out-of-towners so the locals wouldn’t get suspicious about the disappearances. But all that could wait until tomorrow, of course. That was all a lot of rather dull work, which Hivemind usually tried to avoid at all costs. Besides, recently her activities had consisted of taking on an alien armada, hauling scrap metal on a leaky boat across the ocean, and getting “rewarded” for her troubles by getting made the Coalition’s errand girl. For just one night, Hivemind was hoping to just have one night to relax by herself.At least, until moments later, when the intruder alarm went off.[For Science!]

Edited by Chronicler of Ko-Koro

No one in the world ever gets what they want,

and that is beautiful.

Everybody dies frustrated and sad,

and that is beautiful.

OOC: Aquarius will make it to that meeting, but I have a post or two I need to do with him first. If it starts to lag that plot behind, I'll have him show up and flashback post this stuff.And without further ado, the promised post that reveals the backstory of Midnight's rise to power in the Coalition! :evilgrin:IC: (Aquarius)

Beneath New York City

Present Day

The chamber was deep underground, far beneath the harborside scrapyard on the surface and the prying eyes of the League of Salvation. The metallic walls and floor reflected the light from the massive light fixtures on the ceiling, ensuring that the lab was well lit. Computer panels lined one wall, various mathematical formulae and scientific equations splayed out across them. The back wall held several large glass tubes, and against the third was a large desk cluttered with all manner of microscopes, test tubes, and scientific equipment. And, of course, the fourth wall was a Plexiglas barrier looking out into the murky waters of New York Harbor. An ominous looking table, metal chains and leather straps attached to its surface, filled the center of the room.Strapped atop that table was a young man, pain etched across his face, groaning as Aquarius hustled across the laboratory around him. He was stripped to the waist, his bare chest covered in bruises, gashes, and burns. Blood matted his sandy brown hair, and his green eyes were unfocused."What the h*** was he doing?" Aquarius half-shouted to the two Coalition members standing nearby, watching him as he grabbed various ointments and bandages. Apparition was short, with a dull gray suit and an equally dull expression on his face. Scarlet was a bit taller, her suit a vibrant crimson that stood out against the metal walls."Plastech was investigating rumors of a detachment of Lupines in central Asia," Scarlet replied. "It was believed that some Coalition members might be in hiding there, and I sent him to make contact. This was how I found him." She gave a worried frown toward the man on the table."Lupines did this?" Aquarius scoffed, pouring a silvery goo over one of Plastech's deeper gashes. The Villain thrashed against the bonds holding him down, his body seizing up as he screamed in pain. When he quieted down, panting heavily, the wound was nothing but a painful-looking red mark on his side. "I find that hard to believe. I did help create them, after all. Who were they working for?""That's what worries me; I've sorted through his memories, and they weren't working for anyone. It seemed that they were acting more like wolves then men; they ambushed him in the woods, snarling and attacking as much with tooth and claw as with some confiscated blasters from the invasion forces. It was quite unlike them.""An ambush?" Aquarius asked incredulously. He was tending a burn on Plastech's shoulder, and Plastech was struggling again. "Lupines aren't smart enough to ambush anyone. They must have been taking orders from someone who could force them to do something like that. A psychic or something.""Perhaps we should make you a part of the team investigating this," Scarlet said thoughtfully. "Your expertise would be welcome.""Sorry, I've already been summoned for a mission by Grand Cross," Aquarius said as he wrapped a bandage around Plastech's arm. "You're lucky you caught me when you did, or else I wouldn't have been here. Plastech wouldn't have lasted much longer."Scarlet looked at Aquarius, a worried, almost frightened frown on her face. "You are going to be able to heal him, aren't you?""He'll be fine," Aquarius assured her, forming a small trickle of water to wash clean a scrape caked with dirt. "A bit weak for the next few days, perhaps exhibiting a sudden fear of Lupines, but other than that he should be fit for duty before the week is out."The next half hour was filled with Aquarius using a variety of concoctions and mixtures to heal Plastech's every wound. He injected a sleeping serum in Plastech's arm after a while, and Scarlet was standing by his head, combing her fingers through his hair and telepathically scanning through his memories.Aquarius finally leaned against a table with a sigh of relief, dropping a towel absently onto the table amidst a heap of bandages and plastic bottles. It was a rare occasion when his talents as a former doctor were of use to the Coalition, and he had forgotten how taxing it was. He formed an ice cup in his hand and took a sip of water.Scarlet walked over to him and placed a hand on his arm. Had he not been so tired, he would have made a comment on how beautiful she was, the way her lips moved when she smiled, the way her green eyes shone. "Thank you," she said, and Aquarius nodded. He opened his mouth to reply, but Scarlet's grip tightened on his arm, a frown creased her smooth forehead. The world seemed to waver and fade away, and Aquarius found himself reliving an old memory...He was in his old lab, an older Coalition base on the bottom of the Mediterranean Sea. The concrete room was the size of a football field, with various devices and charts scattered around. He was sitting in front of a cluster of computer screens, checking a number of equations scrolling across them. After a moment he spun his chair around, facing the group of Coalition members gathered behind him. "From a number of tests that I have run, it would seem that the cloning process had no hazardous effects on Spark's body," he said. "The process is physically safe for those without cellular regeneration.""You are ready to begin Project Beta, then?" Midnight asked, his voice emotionless, as if he didn't care either way."I am ready to begin cloning others," Aquarius corrected. "I want to monitor the clone of Spark to see how it reacts, if there may be underlying flaws to the cloning process that I am unaware of, or perhaps even long term side effects that have yet to appear. Once I am sure that the clone is able to act as a stand-in for the real Spark, then I will be able to begin Project Beta."The memory cut off abruptly, shifting and swirling into a different place, a different time. He sat in a dark room, a meeting table and chairs its only furnishings. From his place at the foot of the table, he listened to what the three men sitting at the far end had to say."I have been observing this clone of yours for some time now, and am thoroughly unimpressed with the results," Astral said in his usual bored tone. "He acts nothing like the true Spark did, and he openly disdains the Coalition. In fact, he fancies himself a crime lord now.""It seems that too many of his mercenary tendencies crossed over to the clone," Mr. Mystery said quietly. "That puts the goals of Project Beta farther out of reach.""It's a setback, I admit, but I can work it out," Aquarius assured them. "The brainwashing that was programmed into the clone wasn't strong enough. I'll just have make it stronger.""You'll be doing no such thing," Escher said, steepling his gnarled hands on the table in front of him. "The Coalition is falling to pieces. We have other, far more important matters to attend to than monitoring your little cloning project.""But...""The premise of Project Beta is to kidnap certain League of Salvation members, clone them, and replace them with Coalition-loyal clones," Mr. Mystery interrupted. "So far, the one clone you have created has shown a disturbing lack of any of the required traits for the project to be a success.""But Spark was merely the test subject!" Aquarius argued. "I can fix the problems, given time.""I am sure that you can," Mr. Mystery replied, "but we cannot afford to worry about it now. Escher is right; in the wake of Doctor Danger's death the Coalition has all but fallen apart. We need to spend our time bringing the Coalition back together, not worrying about keeping tabs on renegade clones. As it is, we can't afford to have strained relations with the Order of Extortion, either. Send someone to dispose of the clone, and put Project Beta on a shelf until we can work out the problems with it."Aquarius looked down at the table, hiding his rage. "Yes, sir," he managed in a defeated tone.The world shifted, and he was in his lab again. Midnight was with him, though he looked anything but happy about it."I am not about to become embroiled in a battle between you and Mr. Mystery," Midnight said with icy finality. "If you wish to continue with Project Beta, then leave me out of it.""This is far from Project Beta," Aquarius replied. "I'm not kidnapping League members or mercenaries this time. I want to clone a Coalition member. The clone retains the template's personality; a Coalition member remains loyal to the Coalition, and the clone should follow suit. I want to prove to them that I know what I'm doing.""And you think that I'm the proper candidate." It was hard to say if Midnight was flattered or insulted."Of course. You're powerful, you're influential, and you're the last person anyone would suspect. If I can replace you with a clone, I can replace anyone. I'll keep you in cryogenic stasis until I reveal the switch to everyone; you won't even realize time's passed you by."Midnight stared hard into Aquarius' eyes, a faint tinge of black coating his cold stare. Aquarius felt the sensation of a psychic scanning through his thoughts, checking to see if Aquarius had a hidden motive. Finally convinced that Aquarius had revealed his entire plan, Midnight nodded slightly. "I'll do it."The time and space contracted, warped. Aquarius was alone in his lab now, his fingers clacking against a keyboard as he sent messages to various influential members of the Coalition. Everything was going better than he had originally planned; Midnight's clone had utterly destroyed Spark's clone. No one had realized the swap; Lionheart had even believed that Midnight was vying for control of the Coalition. Aquarius had then had Midnight's clone follow up on an old story he had been considering, about an Egyptian god that his uncle Historian had let slip to him once. Everyone involved followed Midnight's lead without hesitation; he was fit for a leadership role, Aquarius admitted.Though he had orignally intended to reveal to Mr. Mystery and the others that it had been a clone that had performed so grandly, Lionheart's assumption sparked an idea grander than he had ever considered before. Midnight was capable of leading the Coalition, and yet he was conveniently out of the way, with an identical clone who was loyal to Aquarius. If Aquarius were to pull the right strings, he could be ruler of the Coalition...It wasn't hard, using Midnight's money and influence to contact the right people. The Order of Extortion was putting together a team to help build a new Coalition HQ. A healthy bribe from Midnight's bank accounts to certain powerful members of the Coalition, as he was working on right now, would ensure that others would acknowledge Midnight as the rightful ruler of the Coalition, and they in turn would sway lesser members to his following.He intended to gather everyone "loyal" to Midnight and send them to help build the new Coalition HQ, somewhere in Siberia, but he was far too busy to lead the group himself. He had begun designing a new hybrid for the Coalition, a mixture of man and shark, and he wanted to be able to continue his genetic pursuits while overseeing Midnight's control of the Coalition. He had to be in two places at once; if he were to clone himself, he would be able to...Everything shifted, changed. Aquarius was in his new lab, now, the old one destroyed in a League raid. He was in the process of overviewing the genetic structure of a Quad, the elite Sharkmen, when an ominous beeping permeated the room. Aquarius rushed over to a computer monitor, showing the vitals of the clone Midnight. Blood pressure rising, mental signals deteriorating. No, this couldn't be happening! Midnight was in the middle of his meeting with a delegation of world leaders; he couldn't be going mad now!Aquarius cursed himself and his stupidity. Over the past month or so, the clone Midnight had been exhibiting some odd behavior. He had done a physical and mental check, and determined that Midnight's psychic powers were too potent for the clone; they were slowly deteriorating his higher mental functions; in essence, he was becoming dependant on his psychic powers in order to do something as simple as think clearly. The clone's powers had become a crutch for his intellect. His sanity was hardly stable; if they had nullified his powers, it could have crippled his entire mentallity...He would have to trust to his clone to handle the world leaders, now. The clone Aquarius knew he was a clone, easily replaceable. It would sacrifice itself to see the mission through, whether Midnight was sane or not. He had to trust his clone. He had to...Memories overlapped, and reformed. Aquarius was in a secret chamber of his lab, three glass panels lining the far wall. Each was coated with frost, partially obscuring the men locked in cryogenic stasis behind them. The first was Spark, smartly dressed in the black business suit he had met Aquarius in that fateful day, months ago, when he had been kidnapped. The next was Midnight, frozen in time as he waited for Aquarius to reveal his deception to the Coalition veterens he had disobeyed. The last was Aquarius himself, or rather, his clone; after betrayng him at the meeting with the world leaders, Aquarius had had no choice but to incapacitate him like the others.The whole plan had come crashing down around him. Mr. Mystery had given him orders, and he had disobeyed. Midnight had trusted him, and he had backstabbed him. He had had control of the entire Coalition, and his faulty cloning had caused it to slip from his grasp. He was a failure.With a jolt, the world slammed back into reality, and Aquarius nearly toppled over. His vision was hazy, but he could see shock and anger on Scarlet's face. She stormed across the room, and Aquarius reached out to stop her. A crackle of scarlet energy burst through his head; his goggles disintegrated around his eyes, and he heard the disintegration beam strike the wall behind him and carve a hole in the metal."Apparition, I need to see Mr. Mystery, now," Scarlet said, leaving Aquarius realing. There was a sharp pop as Apparition disappeared, Scarlet in tow. The realization of what she had said finally struck Aquarius. Mr. Mystery.Aquarius sank to his knees, the world spinning around him. He bit back a sob; he had had all the power in the world, and he was about to lose everything. No...OOC: And there we have it. Tell me, how many of you saw that coming?~Lord Rahl~

ooc: sorry for my lateish replyIC: Kaname nodded, once he touched the wires, he redirected the currents, "Alright, looks simple enough." he was going to Let Fade's slip of his name alone, no point in bringing that up."You know, back almost forty three years ago was when I actually began to notice that i had my powers, since almost anything i touched either worked or I caused a blackout in a city, Now My powers are far stronger and my control over them is far better then it was back then. So, when did you find out about your powers, Fade?"

Kenpachi Zaraki Captain of squad 11

Read This to learn about kenpachi.

odstreflect.png

Credit to Republic Commando Darman for the banner.

IC:"Well, 'found out about' would be the wrong word, but it's not something I'm explaining to someone I've just met. Let's just say some of us have greatness thrust upon them instead," said Fade. He slid under the control panel, and held his wristblade up against the wire. "Alright, on the count of three, I'm gonna cut this wire, and wrap it around to this one. Your job is to send a quick surge through them and fuse the new circuit together. Alright... one, two... three!"---Tossing her labcoat aside on top of a table stool, Hivemind opened a sliding glass door and stepped outside into her garden. Rows of beehives lined the front lawn; to the uninformed observer they were just an excentric woman's hobby, but to Hivemind they were reinforcements. And currently her bees were swarming about a man stuck in the fence, his arms raised to try and wave away his insect attackers. He was dressed in a navy-blue suit - three-piece, not spandex, that was always an important distinction to make in this line of work - with white gloves, his only concession to the trends of supervillainy being the while balaclava mask he wore. It probably would have looked rather dignified, if it weren't for the fact he was currently being waylaid by bugs."Ah... Dare," Hivemind muttered, her voice dripping with venom. "What are you doing here? In costume, no less? I told the Coalition, if you show up here, do it plainclothes!""Hello, Hivemind. Always just a pleasure to see you," the supervillain named Dare said bitterly, before suddenly jumping as if electrocuted. "Gah!"Dare was pretty low on the Coalition's ranking, which was just about the level of class Hivemind was used to being assigned to. He had the power to instantly discern if someone was lying based off such bodily functions as heart-rate and vocal inflection, which would be an excellent power if he didn't receive painful electric shocks every time he heard a lie. As if this wasn't terrible enough for someone working in an order as treacherous as the Coalition of Corruption,his powers also went off if he told a lie as well. He was pretty much equally loved and hated by the rest of the Coalition; while his powers left him generally incapable of scheming against them, there were certain elements of truth most supervillains didn't like having to hear."You didn't answer my question, Dare," said Hivemind. "Why are you breaking onto my property?""Would have have let me in if I rang the doorbell?" he asked. "Or would you have hid in your lab and pretended not to be home?""I would..." Hivemind's eyes shifted as she spoke, "...not...do that second thing. Yup, that's exactly the sort of thing I would do.""Gah!"Dare twitched and shook; Hivemind giggled."This is not a laughing matter, missy! You've been out of contact with the Coalition for weeks!" Dare shouted. "You haven't responded to any of our communications! I was sent here to make sure you weren't dead!""Oh, sorry about that," Hivemind said. "All the phone lines are down here - car backed into a pole - and Aquarius accidentally waterlogged my communicator when we were on our little cruise a while back...""Gah!" Dare jumped over and over with each successive lie. "You know I can tell you're not telling the truth! Why do you always do that?""People are funny when they're in pain.""Well, if you'd bothered to pick up your comm, you'd know that Grand Cross wants you for a mission," Dare said. "You were supposed to go to headquarters for a briefing!""Okay, okay," Hivemind said. Best to stay in the good graces of the Coalition's new leaders, after all. "When's the meeting?""It's happening right now! Even if we speed you over on our fastest tiltrotor, it'll be miraculous if you get there in time!" Dare exclaimed, furious. "And we are leaving right now, for the record. I'm assuming you agree, since I'm also assuming you enjoy keeping your newfound status in the Coalition."Hivemind chose not to respond; there was no polite way to respond to that truthfully, and as funny as electrocuting Dare was, that wasn't the sort of lie she wanted exposed. Honestly, she just wanted to be left alone and allowed do her work in peace. Really, that should have been here reward for taking down a freaking Inferno Walker. But no, actually doing work just meant she was being rewarded with more work. It was no wonder she tried to avoid doing any."Alright, fine, I'm coming," she muttered. "No reason to be such a drama queen over things, that's my job after all."The bees buzzing in the air surrounded Hivemind in a spiral. They swarmed around her, dancing across her body. When the swarm cleared, Hivemind's civilian clothes were gone, replaced by her usual gold and black supersuit. Hivemind adjusted her sunglasses, and made her way to the gate. A few minutes later a Coalition tiltrotor took off from further down the coastline, making the long journey towards its Arctic destination.[For Science!]

and that is beautiful.

and that is beautiful.

Kaname nodded, understanding. "Well, I told you that cause you might found out something useful about me in the League data base if you ever decide to look, wouldnt be surprised if they kept records of me, since it's been 34 years since I left.."Once Fade said three with a flick of his wrist the Surge was almost too fast but good enough for what it was for. "I'm hoping this place might have data on a Villain named χ-blade. 'χ'...A most Ancient letter...most say kye-blade but the meaning is the same. Death, a letter that spells endings. it was a Fitting name for him." he only met the man once about 25 years ago."A Man who wears a mask, his age and identity unknown, that is χ-blade." he mumbled to himself.

odstreflect.png

IC:"Well, I'll be sure to look that up next chance I get," Fade muttered. "Dunno about you finding any information on your embladed friend, though. The Technicians are generational villains, so they're bound to have dirt on any villain through the ages, but I wouldn't think this is a database. These babies are here for calculations; whatever this machine does, it must need to be awfully precise."The wires sparked and Fade recoiled, but thankfully killer androids didn't start climbing out of the walls in response to the intrusion. Deciding to push his luck a little further, Fade pushed a button on the control pad, the computer slowly starting to boot up. Fade's eyes circled the room; none of the other computers had activated, and neither had any possible death traps. Confident he'd successfully isolated the computer system, Fade sat down in front of it and began cycling through directories. Nothing was labeled - The Technician knew what everything did, no use in making it user friendly - but as Fade clicked numbers and calculations scrolled across the screen. Graphs began popping up, displaying sweeping arcs and parabolas. The whole thing looked uncannily like an old map or sky chart."It looks like... it looks like this thing is trying to calculate coordinates. Maybe that machine is supposed to teleport somewhere - or, worst case scenario, fire at somewhere," he muttered, clicking a few buttons. "But... thing is, I can't figure out where these coordinates go. They're not latitude and longitude, I can't even compress their dimensions enough to even map them to anywhere on this planet. But if they don't go anywhere on Earth, then where was The Technician trying to go-"Fade tried to access another directory, only for the screen to flash red. A loud siren began blaring, and all around them computer banks started to switch on, each flashing with the same worrying crimson light. Fade glanced down at the wiring; it was sparking a little, but it was still holding. His system should be working."I... I don't... The Technician must have had a secondary circuit connecting these things, one that I couldn't find," Fade said, pushing every button on the controls in an attempt to shut down the computer. "Guys, I have a feeling things are about to get very bad in the next few seconds..."[For Science]

and that is beautiful.

and that is beautiful.

Kaname nodded, understanding. "Well, I told you that cause you might found out something useful about me in the League data base if you ever decide to look, wouldnt be surprised if they kept records of me, since it's been 34 years since I left.."

OOC: Not sure if I'm misinterpreting that, but the League has only been around for 14/15 years. Thought I should point that out...IC: (Soundless)Bonk. . .Bonk. . .Bonk. . .Soundless sat dejectedly on the bed of his cell, his knees tucked up close to his chest. Idly he bounced a small rubber ball across the floor, ricocheting it off of the wall and back to him. The League had denied every one of his more reasonable requests, but had relented to give him this one small pleasure, a simple, harmless thing to help take his mind off of his imprisonment. After all, he had once been a member of the League; they felt some small sympathy toward him, however slight.Something caught his eye long before it would have alarmed anyone else. A flicker of movement in the corner, a shadow that was slightly darker than the others. In the dead of the night, it was hardly noticeable, but Soundless’ keen eye perceived it. He gave no outward indication that he had noticed it, bouncing the ball as he had before.Imperceptibly at first, the shadows that permeated the room began to coalesce, an inky black form appearing to ooze out of the corner. Soundless watched the figure out of the corner of his eye, changing nothing about his demeanor but tensing his muscles enough so that he was ready to move at a moment’s notice. The being had the stature of a man, though he was wrapped head to toe in a black hooded cloak and loose black clothing, making it impossible to know for sure.The black-clad figure glanced back toward the door - checking that they were alone, no doubt. “You are the one they call Soundless, correct?” the being hissed in a raspy voice.“I’ve been called that once or twice,” Soundless replied, picking at a fingernail. “What’s it to you?”“My master wishes to speak with you.”Soundless raised an eyebrow. “You have a way of getting me out of this dump?”The cloaked being held out a gloved hand. “Come with me.” Soundless hesitated, analyzing the hand and any potential threats it might impose. There was quite clearly some form of dagger concealed within the man’s sleeve, but the figure’s stance didn’t indicate aggression. Intrigued, he reached out and took the hand.The hooded being pulled Soundless back into the shadows, and the world itself seemed to melt into oblivion. He was surrounded in pure, utter blackness, a darkness so thick that it was oppressive. He felt himself dragged at incredible speeds through the void, time and space themselves bending around him in a gut-wrenching motion. The trip could have lasted hours, or it could have been seconds, there was no way to be sure.It was both relieving and disorienting when Soundless felt himself pulled back into the realm of light. The room was dimly lit, though after traveling through the shadows it was oppressively bright. As Soundless squinted against the light, he gained his first glance at the place he had been brought to. They were in a crumbling building, the walls and ceiling in such a state of decay that the building had to have been vacated for more than a decade. The room was ultimately bare – no furnishings, no signs of civilized life having touched it save for four lanterns hanging from each of the four corners of the room, providing the only light.A number of other men and women were there, kneeling in a line across the center of the room. A quick head count revealed twenty-one people in various articles of costume and clothing. Each wore a burlap sack over their heads and handcuffs binding their hands behind their backs. Standing guard above them were a number of hooded black figures identical to the one that had rescued him from the penitentiary. They each moved in the same way, acted so similarly, that it was almost impossible to tell one from another. The shadows around the perimeter of the room writhed, and more of the hooded figures would protrude from them every so often.Soundless was walked to the end of the line of kneeling persons and, without warning, had his knees knocked out from under him. While he was disoriented, he felt the familiar padded League superpower nullifying handcuffs slapped on his wrists, and a gag swiftly tied around his mouth. The last thing he saw was a sack pulled down over his head, cloaking his vision in shadow once again.~Lord Rahl~

OOC: maybe there could have been something like the league in that time and they passed their files onto the League? XDKaname signed at all of this what was happening... "Great..miles underground...going to get killed...this almost reminds me of the time i went to a tomb in South america...Stupid Mayans and their human eating vines that sit on and grow in the temples...Man it took a while to get out of that..."Kaname got his card out and said, "Well, In this kind of situation, one must be calm." strangely enough, Kaname was actually calm.

odstreflect.png

OOC: Well, as of 37 years ago, it was a rare occurence that SuperHeroes even worked together, let alone teamed up and pooled information. Actually, Superhumans working together at all was hard to find - the Coalition was formed that year, and they were unprecidented. It was their formation that led to Heroes starting to work together, because before that there really wasn't a threat they couldn't tackle on their own. Covered all of that in To Rule the World!...IC: (Loadstone)The four Heroes moved in closer, inspecting the timeline that Doctor Om had just presented to them. Silence permeated the room as the full extent of Doctor Om’s visions sank in: images of the future, rendered in such minute detail that they appeared almost photographic, were everywhere. SuperHuman battles, bank heists, doomsday devices – all were depicted in Doctor Om’s impeccable drawings.“You’ve foreseen all of this?” Loadstone asked, a touch of awe in his voice. He had seen smaller collections of Doctor Om’s sketches, but never such an extensive compilation of future events.Doctor Om laughed. “My dear boy, this is merely a fraction of it,” he said. “These are the important events, or events of particular interest to me. The intricate web that is time expands far past what you see here; I have entire filing cabinets filled with images of the future. I’ve begun considering taking stock out in PaperCo.”“This is incredible,” Sugar Rush said, softly touching an image of an armored figure dueling with a costumed man. “Think of the lives that could be spared with this knowledge.”“As many as will be lost, I reckon,” Spectral said, looking away from an image depicting a woman weeping over a man’s body. “The future is what it is; no amount of foreknowledge can prepare you for what could happen in an instant.”“You sound as if you’ve had dealings with a clairvoyant before,” Doctor Om said.“No, just past experience,” Spectral shrugged. “Some things are inevitable, and some things can be changed. It’s just a trick of knowing which ones are which.”Doctor Om tilted his head and looked at Spectral. “More true than you know,” he murmured.“Hey, there’s something I’ve been wanting to ask you,” Loadstone said, turning toward Doctor Om. “A month ago, I witnessed a prophecy by another clairvoyant…”“Isis,” Doctor Om said, nodding. “The past will return in the future, where the light will become the dark. The choice to bring back the light rests with you all.”“Exactly,” Loadstone said. “Could you interpret that for us?”“Unfortunately, no,” Doctor Om said. “Isis’ visions seem to manifest themselves differently from mine, and therefore I cannot riddle their meaning any more than you can.”“But how is that possible?” Loadstone asked incredulously. “Clairvoyance is clairvoyance. It’s still the future; you must have seen what she saw at some point!”“I most likely have,” Doctor Om agreed, “but my visions appear to me as visions. I can see events happen, but they do not translate into words – especially obscure, confusing prophecies. I’m afraid it’s meaning is meant for Isis and Isis alone.”“Figures as much,” Loadstone muttered to himself. “'The future can only share so much with the past.'”“That’s a bit misworded, but true nonetheless.”Loadstone looked at Doctor Om accusingly. “I’ve never heard you withhold information before. Or have you?”“In my experience, dealing with time involves the butterfly effect. You all know what that is, correct?”Only Spectral nodded his head. "The butterfly effect is a theory that making one tiny change can have huge consequences," Spectral explained patiently. "In essence, it states that if a butterfly flaps its wings, then the displacement of air caused by the flapping of its wings will spark a chain reaction of movement resulting in a hurricane on the other side of the world."“Exactly,” Doctor Om said. “The full effects of an event are not noticeable immediately, but build up as time flows. Let me use Deathstar for an example. I informed you that we needed to find him. I never told you why.”Loadstone folded his arms. “Care to explain, then?”“Our intervention in Deathstar’s exploits had several effects,” Doctor Om began. “We managed to evacuate not only Deathstar, but his accomplice, Chanse, and a young man who they had just granted powers. Had we not arrived, both of them would have died, drastically altering the timeline.“First off, that young man will become a SuperHero known as Blacklight, a career that would never have been if not for us. Every action that he does for the rest of his life is a direct result of my intervention in the course of time, the full scale of which I could spend a solid week informing you of. Would you rather I explained the intricacies of time to you, or keep it as simple as I have?”“I suppose you have a point,” Loadstone said, clearly unhappy about agreeing with Doctor Om.“But wait, there’s more,” Doctor Om continued. “We rescued Chanse, as well. She very nearly died that day, which would have devastated Deathstar and ruined the rest of his life. He would have become a deadly SuperVillain, lashing out at the world because his love was lost. Every dastardly act he would have committed has been averted because of what we did. Should I have let you know the full extent of what we averted?“At some point in their future, Deathstar and Chanse will have a child. Would you like me to explain to you the range of events that are shaped by that child?“And last but not least, by our efforts Deathstar became a member of the Order of Extortion. That position ensured that he would be part of the team that destroyed Technax’s War Factory, a vital event in the war against said alien warlord. Not to mention that he saved the life of a Hero known as Static-Man. Now, everything that Static-Man does for the rest of his life is a direct result of our interfering with one simple event.“Now, tell me, is it preferable for me to explain all of that to you, or merely to say ‘We must find Deathstar’?”“I think you’ve made your case,” Mechanic said over his shoulder, never really looking away from the drawings pinned to the wall.“Hang on, you mentioned the Technax Armada,” Loadstone began. “That’s another thing I’ve been meaning to talk to you about. You predicted their arrival. You even showed me an image of them.”“Indeed I did,” Doctor Om said, walking over to his desk and rummaging through papers. “Your point?”“You told me that we had averted that event.”Doctor Om was silent for a moment, then nodded. “Correct.”“And we all know how that turned out,” Loadstone continued. “So…what happened?”“Well, allow me to give you a short lesson in reading the timeline,” Doctor Om said, pulling a paper out of a stack of them and holding it out to Loadstone. “This is the drawing, correct?”Loadstone shivered subconsciously. The image, rendered in inhuman detail, depicted Dual Fighters and dropships flying among the skyscrapers of a city skyline. Even a month after the Armada’s defeat, the memories of the invasion were still fresh in his mind. “Yeah,” Loadstone said, looking up from the drawing at Doctor Om.“Now, my abilities do not allow me to know when an event will take place. I am able to see the flow of time – how events will fall into place, but not necessarily when. In essence, what I’m saying is that I am able to predict a sequence of events, and by knowing the relationship between those events I can pinpoint when a singular event will occur.“Certain events are more central to the timeline than others – they are focal points in the intricate network of time, the outcome of which determine numerous future events. These events even exert a pull toward unrelated persons and events, they are so important. You may have noticed that some people simply seem to show up at critical battles; that is this principle in action.“Now, a number of months ago, the League thwarted Doctor Danger’s attempt to destroy the entire world. The explosion of that Alpine base sent a shockwave through the timeline, realigning events in seemingly random ways and skewing the major events. Time fluctuates more now than it did before – granted, after major events like that time always fluctuates to take important changes into account – but never for this long. The repercussions of that one event, the shockwave, have even affected other major events.“For example, something happened during Ikusen Sakeme’s bid for world domination. I felt time…well, for lack of a better term, fold. The end of that battle overlapped with the moment shortly before Sakeme gained full power over Sluice, thus throwing off the entire outcome of that battle. For the better, I might add.”“Wait, so you’re saying that something’s wrong with time?” Spectral asked in a worried tone. “That it’s scrunching up and changing events?”“You might say so, yes,” Doctor Om said. “It’s nothing to be overly worried about, however; similar events have happened before, where a SuperHuman who can alter time came into play. It can be…annoying, when such a thing happens, but I’ve seen it before. But I have never seen it on a scale such as this – entire events have been twisted and altered by a force greater than a single SuperHuman could conjure up; this is all a direct result of that one event.“This is also what happened to my viewing of the Technax Armada. The invasion was meant to have happened sooner; when it didn’t, I assumed that it had been averted. Interestingly enough, there was a different alien invasion thwarted right around the same time, so I thought nothing of it. As it turns out, time was stretched out, bumping the arrival of Technax’s forces to several weeks later. I apologize for not realizing it sooner; that was a slip on my part.”“So, what you’re saying is that time’s gone all screwy, and not even you can predict when it’ll change the entire makeup of an event,” Sugar Rush said bluntly.“Apparently I cannot stress enough that this is nothing to be concerned about,” Doctor Om said in a soothing tone. “This may be unprecedented, but I am sure that its effects will abate soon. As far as I can tell there is nothing that any of us can do about it, and we have far more pressing matters to attend to…”~Lord Rahl~

Edited by Lord Rahl

IC:The sirens blared louder, almost as if they were roaring in rage at the team's intrusion. A whir of gears could be heard faintly over the warning klaxons, and a series of heavy metal bulkheads slammed shut in the corridor behind them, locking them inside the chamber. As the last gate slammed shut the sirens ceased, and a small projector in the ceiling started to blink. It shone down upon the group, the holographic head of The Technician sneering down at them."If you're hearing this message, it's because my computer systems have registered an attempt to force entry into their memory banks. Since I can't imagine why I'd need to do that, I'm forced to assume you are either an intruder or my son, in which case... no big loss," the hologram said. "Now, since you even know about this room, let alone are able to access it, it means all my hard work has failed and my greatest creation is in the hands of the League or worse. For all I know, I might even be captured or dead by the time anyone sees this message. Every precaution I've taken to ensure this device's secrecy has failed... except for one. I can always still just get rid of you."With an evil cackle, the hologram flickered and faded away. The computers stopped flashing red, and instead complex calculations began to flash on the screen at such a rate to be nearly unreadable. A series of creaks, groans and whirs came from the heart of the device, and bits of machinery started to move behind the wall. Slowly, with an evil grinding the rings in the wall started to turn, light flickering and crackling along its grooves. The machine was waking up, and the group could feel the energy sizzle in the air as it started to come online.[For Science!]

and that is beautiful.

and that is beautiful.

OOC: man..it's hard to not know alot about the past lol...oh well, maybe My person could have been part a of a small group that was never known about(possibly cause they all except him might be dead) or something like that..darn, hard being on old guy lolIC: Kaname blinked, "Didnt you say something about we shouldnt mess with things? stupid booby traps...well, lets see what come out of this." he didnt seem worried, but in fact he was currently thinking on what to do, did having him here turn out to be bad or good? he could suck out every form of Electricity in here or even block it. But he didnt know what that would do so he left that alone. "Any ideas?"

odstreflect.png

IC:"Alright, I could probably phase us through those doors pretty easy," said Fade. "Only problem is, we can't just leave this device alone to activate, not when we don't know what it does-"Suddenly, with an unearthly cacophony of groaning and grinding, energy began to tear out of the swirling wheels of the machine. Time and space itself seemed to crack, a void of reddish-orange light appearing to fill its place. Bolts of energy crackled around the portal, and while Fade had seen his share of wormholes and teleports in his day, this was something else entirely. The average portal was usually some fold or tunnel in spacetime, but this... this was a like a hole in the universe itself. And if it was a hole in the world then everything was getting sucked down into it; computer banks and wall panels tore apart, vanishing into the void. It took a great deal of effort just for the group to remain standing."Alright, guys, new plan!" he shouted over the roar of the portal opening. "I'm phasing us out of here! We can figure out a way to shut this thing off when we're at a safe dista-"A bolt of energy from the portal arced wildly across the room, sending computers up in flashes of light. It struck Fade just as he started to turn intangible, energy shooting up and down his body even in his phased state. He rippled out of shape, struggling to maintain his form, and in the process lost whatever footing was keeping him in place. Shifting back into phase, Fade was lifted into the air, dragged across the room towards the void. He hurled out his grappling hook, catching it on one of the few intact monitors left. Fade came to a halt just short of the lip of the portal, clinging for his life to his grappler line to avoid falling into the portal. He didn't have any clue where it lead - heck, he wasn't even sure The Technician knew where it was headed - and he really, really didn't want to find out.[For Science!]

and that is beautiful.

and that is beautiful.

OOC: Sorry it took me a while to reply here - things tend to jump around the hours I'm asleep. I blame time zones. Anyone who knows me will be familiar with this.NPC: Jona MacTaggart looked up from her paperwork as the League dispatch entered the office. "Ah," she said, straightening up, "good. You're here. Sorry, there's a lot of paperwork with cases like these. If you've never assisted official detective work before, I'm sorry to tell you you'll be required to do some later. Filling out reports of exactly what you saw, what happened, evidence and so forth. We don't advertise it when we're looking for help. Anyway, I assume the League already briefed you on the case?"H-D

Good to conquer evil
Lies to fight the truth
Are any of us only saints or sinners

Or is it always Red versus Blue?

OOC: I figured out the Midnight twist as soon as you mentioned clones. :PIC: Grand Cross stared at Negafire's proffered hand. After an awkward silence Negafire just moved on to Gap. She shook it."Nice to meet you. Quick question, do I have hair right now? Sometime I forget to change it, y'know?""Um, yes, you have hair," Gap replied warily. She wasn't used to the light-hearted type, and suspected he was making fun of her somehow.Just then there was a most peculiar sound. The windows on one wall warped and then burst apart as a man in black and purple soared through."I am Nihilo." he stated. "I have come to offer my services to the Coalition. You would do well to accept my offer."Grand Cross indeed felt anger at the cloaked being's intrusion. He and Mr. Mystery had covered dozens of powers when designing the base's defenses, and this 'Nihilo' had somehow gotten through them?! But anger wasn't all he felt. To have gotten through all of those defenses this person's ability was either formidable or unique. Such an ability might prove handy to the Coalition... still, that alone wouldn't earn him a free membership."I admire the ability to make an impressive entrance," declared Grand Cross, "so here is your reward. You have one minute to explain why you might be useful to the Coalition before I send you into orbit..."

Edited by Kumata

IC:The ride on the tiltrotor had occurred mostly in awkward silence. Hivemind didn't have anything to say to Dare, and Dare didn't want to say anything to Hivemind because it inevitably ended in her finding some excuse to electrocute him. At long last the tiltrotor came in for a landing in the Coalition's Arctic base, the rotors spinning to a halt and the hatch swinging open. Hivemind moved to leave the vehicle, but Dare took a hold of her arm to stop her."Before you leave, there's something you should know. You might have gotten yourself on the Coalition's good graces, just because you managed to stumble your way into some fancy cache of alien tech and weapons," Dare said. "But I still don't like you, and I sure don't trust you. So when you screw up - and you will screw up, you always do, and I just know this time you're gonna screw up in a way too big for the Coalition to ignore - just know I'll be waiting, I'll be ready to replace you, and I'll be laughing the entire time. Enjoy your time while it lasts."Hivemind appeared to give this a little thought, then a wicked grin crossed her face."..The sky is purple, up is diagonal, and pi is exactly three!""GaaaaaAAAAAaaaaaah!"With a devilish chuckle Hivemind left, leaving Dare stewing in his own anger. After a few minutes trying to find the right room - and bursting into the wrong room more than a few times - Hivemind finally walked into the room she was pretty sure was where the briefing was supposed to be happening. It had Grand Cross in it, so it was a pretty good guess."God let me tell you something. You Coalition types really need to build secret lairs somewhere warmer, y'know? I mean, the Alps, then Siberia, now the freaking Arctic? You're gonna run out of freezing cold places to build soon, unless you want to start building in space or-"Hivemind stopped. She noticed the man in purple and black, who Grand Cross appeared to be in the process of confronting about something. The words "send you into orbit" were involved, so it must have been serious, whatever it was."Oooh, sorry. Is this a bad time?" she asked. "I mean, I can come back later if you guys want..."[For Science!]

and that is beautiful.

and that is beautiful.

IC: "Well that would be interesting. I almost want you to try just so I could see how you do it. BUT back to the subject at hand. My powers can be described by my name. If you know your Latin, you would know that the word Nihilo means 'nothing'. That is what I am made of. Nothingness. But it is a nothingness that is something at the same time, more commonly known as antimatter. I can repulse just about any object due to the fact that matter and antimatter never want to touch. And when I want them to touch..." Nihilo let his powers do the talking for him here. He loosed a blast of antimatter aimed at the table in the center of the room. The matter and anti matter ate each other up, deleting them both from existence, leaving a hole in the center of the large table. "So do you think you could use me?" asked Nihilo, who was quickly refilling himself with the small amounts of fear that his observers exhibited for a brief moment.

Edited by King Joe

IC: "Sit down, Hivemind." Grand Cross' tolerance for snarkiness varied with his mood. He didn't look at her as he barked the order, instead watching as a sizeable portion of the table simply ceased to exist. Behind his mask his eyes narrowed. This Nihilo possessed a power that was indeed unique, and Grand Cross wasn't about to let the opportunity to recruit a being like this slip through his fingers. But he wasn't stupid, either. Nihilo could easily be lying about the nature of his powers, or his willingness to serve the Coalition. He would need to tested."I am about to carry out a mission briefing. If you listen, and join in with this mission, and if you perform well... then you may consider yourself an honoured member of our ranks," Grand Cross decided. Nihilo could be useful to the upcoming mission - it demanded spectacle, after all...

IC:With a bored shrug, Hivemind simply took the nearest seat; of all the reactions Grand Cross could have had, she personally preferred his apathy. Hivemind reclined back in her chair, idly spinning the seat back and forth as she waited for the briefing to start. This was always her least favorite part of any mission, the briefings. She liked going on the missions just as little, of course, but at least that was doing something. Just sitting in a room listening to someone, especially someone other than herself, other talk, ranked very on Hivemind's lists of favorite activities.Well, at least this time a table exploded; that was kind of interesting, Hivemind supposed.[For Science!]

and that is beautiful.

and that is beautiful.

OOC: Another skippable IC. For those interested, I'm bringing you all up to scratch on what Sluice has been up to during the timeskip.IC: Several strands of brown hair fell into Doctor Cole’s face as he bowed his head. He brushed them aside and stared at the papers in his lap for a few moments. Then he looked up again at the raven-haired woman lying upon the couch before him.“Well,” said Doctor Cole, who was dressed in a smart grey suit, “we have certainly made a lot of progress, Miss Winters.”The raven-haired woman was lying on her back, staring at the ceiling. It was a ceiling she’d become quite familiar with these past few weeks. She had professed some of her innermost thoughts whilst looking at it. Her hopes, her insecurities, her fears. Things she’d never have dared to say out loud before.“First of all, I can confirm that you are indeed suffering from multiple personality disorder.”Sarah Winters sat up. Her expression was one of glum acceptance. She nodded, prompting Doctor Cole to continue.“I can also confirm that you did the right thing in coming to me. Now that we have identified your ailment, we can begin the process of treating it.”Sarah’s gaze strayed to the wall. A certificate of psychiatry hung there, displaying the name Darius Cole, as well as some other awards indicating the man’s admirable status in many psychiatric circles. She had chosen to see Doctor Cole for a rather different reason, however. Doctor Cole was a SuperHuman, a solo hero who went by the alias of Dreamscape. He had the power to project his own mind or the minds of others into a target’s subconscious - his career choice immediately made sense in light of that fact - and had helped Sarah once before.“The human mind is, paradoxically, a fragile and powerful thing,” Doctor Cole continued, “with many creative ways of coping with problems. Multiple personality disorder most often develops in response to overwhelming levels of stress, brought on by one or multiple traumatic incidents. The mind creates another personality to shunt unwanted memories and experiences into. Like a backup drive for a computer, if you will.”Sarah nodded.“It seems to me that in your case it was several incidents that triggered the split. When you were five years old yourself and another child fell into a pond at a local park. Using your power instinctively, you created a current that drew you to the surface - whilst simultaneously pressing the other child to the bottom of the pond, where he drowned.” Doctor Cole was keeping his voice level and blameless. “This incident repeated itself in your mind for several years as a recurring nightmare, yet even when the nightmare stopped you felt rushes of guilt whenever you set eyes upon a pond, or anything that might remind you of the incident.“I believe, then, that the point at which the memory ceased repeating itself - you said around the age of eight or nine - was where your subconscious first set to work creating a place to lock away your undesirable thoughts.“Your parents had become aware of your power at this time and made you promise to keep it a secret. You said that you felt upset and angry at their decision yet you never expressed these feelings to them. Then, as you moved into your teens you began developing your powers in secret, leading to feelings of anxiety and guilt over disobeying your parents’ wishes. It also made you feel outcast, and as a result you grew reluctant to get close to people in case your secret was discovered. What happened next is somewhat peculiar but not unheard of: rather than choosing to hide your negative feelings, your mind chose to hide the ones that would run a greater risk of exposing the secret you were, even on a subconscious level, attempting to maintain. It was a mixture of positive and negative emotions that got stored away - confidence, selfishness, anything that would have made you stand out.“After this there were three more incidents that added greatly to the stress upon your mind. At the age of sixteen, a boy at a house party used his hypnotic powers to try and force you to undress - you broke out of his control, but felt vulnerable and foolish. At the age of twenty-one, by which point you had become the superhero Sluice, you were manipulated into a relationship by the psychic, Midnight. After you discovered his deception you were heartbroken, again feeling vulnerable and suffering such a blow to your internal sense of self-worth that you gave up being a superhero for several months. Then, earlier this year, you were possessed by the spirit of the psychic Ikusen Sakeme, who attempted to alter your personality and take full control of your mind. I believe this could have been the point where the suppressed feelings you had built up finally split into a separate identity, as you mentioned experiencing a large amount of memory loss concerning the period when he had possessed you. Though possible, I doubt heavily that Ikusen Sakeme erased those specific memories - I will explain why in a moment.“After Ikusen Sakeme had been expunged from your mind you lived in a more relaxed manner for a little while. It wasn’t until the invasion of the Technax Armada occurred that your mind was put under great stress again and the second personality finally saw fit to emerge.“Now as to why I do not believe your missing memories have been lost. Your alternate personality, which calls itself ‘Abyss’, immediately recognised your SuperHuman comrades yet is unable to acknowledge that it is the same being as you. Therefore it must be drawing upon memories of a time when you were both in contact with the same SuperHumans yet did not believe you to be yourself. Furthermore you said that Abyss seemed willing to kill opponents, whereas you yourself would never consider such an option. This can be taken to mean that traces of Ikusen Sakeme’s own personality have become part of Abyss as well.”Sarah nodded again.“Since the Abyss personality posed a hindrance to your activities during the invasion, you asked your friend Silver to lock it away in your mind. I do not mean to condemn either of you, but this was not a healthy decision. Whereas before the Abyss personality acted as a repository for excess stress, Silver’s actions walled it off from all other parts of your mind, meaning that added trauma had nowhere to be stored. Silver’s death weighed heavily on your conscious mind. You said that you had been helping with the rebuilding operations for about a week following the invasion before deciding to visit your parents, and upon discovering that they had gone missing you fainted. This was because it was too much for your mind to cope with. It was lucky that you were with another hero who took you to hospital right away.“The solution to your disorder is simple to put in words. You must attempt to reconcile your conscious mind with the Abyss personality. It is not an ‘evil’ or ‘dark’ side. The traces of Ikusen Sakeme contained within it are too weak to pose any threat to your whole mind. They will disappear when you have successfully reconciled. The you that I am speaking to now - this is not your true self. Your true self is a combination of the thoughts and memories you know now and the ones that make up Abyss. You must reconnect with the parts of yourself that make up Abyss - the positive and the negative - and make your peace with them. You can attempt this through self-introspection, or therapy - it is entirely up to you, and-” Doctor Cole gave a knowing smile -“I understand that leading the life of a superhero may interfere with therapeutic appointments.But before that can happen Abyss must be released from her mental cage. My powers are not psychic in nature, so I am not in full understanding of what Silver did in order to contain it… it may be possible for you to ease away the mental barriers or release Abyss yourself, or you can ask another psychic to undo them.”“I can’t do that,” said Sarah quietly. “Seeing you these past few weeks, talking about everything, opening myself up to you… it’s so hard for me. Well, you know that. But even apart from that, I find it very hard to trust psychics. Psychics were responsible for three of the traumatic incidents that created my alternate personality in the first place. Silver was the only psychic I would have trusted to enter my head, and he’s… he’s not around.”Doctor Cole nodded solemnly. “So you wish to reconcile with Abyss via self-introspection?”“If that’s the only other option I have.”“It will be markedly more difficult. But it is by no means impossible.” Doctor Cole stared at Sarah silently for a few seconds, dwelling on something. Then with a sudden burst of vigour he stood up, extending a hand toward her. She got to her feet and shook it.“Sarah, you did the right thing in seeking help. You have been very brave and I wish you the best of luck in your recovery. You have my phone number; please call me if you need anything, anytime. Unlike most psychiatrists I know how much turmoil a superhero’s mind can undergo. I am dedicated to offering help at any hour of the day.”Sarah gave a small smile. “I really appreciate your help, Doctor Cole.”A short while later the undulating waters of Cardiff bay twinkled as they reflected the afternoon sun. Sarah cast a melancholy figure as she stared at them from the edge of the docks, slouching, hands plunged into her pockets, raven hair trembling in the wind.Doctor Cole’s office was situated in Cardiff, so Sarah had been taking the train here twice a week since her sessions had begun. The invasion of the Technax Armada was a thing of the past, and thanks to the combined efforts of heroes and civil servants worldwide the world had recovered at an impressive rate. In fact, normality had been restored so completely that the trains were consistently being delayed again. Her own train to Swindon had been held back by several hours, so she had taken to wandering the city as she waited for the time to pass. She had been drawn toward the docks, and there she now stood reflecting on her current state of affairs.Her home life wasn’t much to talk about. She’d hardly had one, what with her psychiatric sessions and aiding the recovery operations. Photon had suppressed his usual jokey manner as she had relayed the news of Silver’s sacrifice and her own mental problems. He had been helping with the repair work too, although often apart from Sarah. She hadn’t seen much of Esp either. Not that the sentient spacecraft liked to be seen, but her holographic avatar had explained that it would need to shut itself off for a few weeks while self-repairs to important circuitry were made.Only now that he was gone did Sarah realise what a large presence Silver had had in her life. She felt lonely travelling to places without him. She had wanted to visit her parents to maybe talk about her feelings, but that of course had triggered the collapse which put her on the road to psychiatric evaluation. She had asked the League to look into their disappearance, but with the organisation spread thin no progress had been made in finding them so far. In Sarah’s mind there were only two things that could have happened to them; they had been kidnapped or killed. She doubted the latter as there was no sign of their bodies in any place they would have regularly visited. Notwithstanding her secret identity had recently been revealed, and several of her enemies had already attacked her parents by way of revenge - a kidnapping could have resulted for similar reasons. Though the worry was always on her mind, she had resolved not to dwell on it; there was nothing she could do.As for her superhero life, Sarah hadn’t technically been ‘Sluice’ for a while. Her only supersuit had been destroyed during the invasion and she hadn’t felt a pressing need to replace it; with her identity publicly known, she had been able to help with the repairs in plain clothes. Now that the worldwide repairs were mostly over though, Sarah wasn’t sure if she would even continue acting in any heroic capacity. Was she fit for the role, given her current mental disorder..?Her mind would be made up quickly enough, however. A big black barge had just entered the bay, and judging by the way it was - forgive the pun - barging through the smaller boats in its way it probably wasn’t an official vessel of any sort. Plus there was the huge skull painted on its side. People cried out in alarm as they were knocked into the water; others cried out from the bay as they watched the commotion occur. Sarah broke into a run, moving towards the docks where she could get a better look at what was happening…

OOC: If I'm not very much mistaken, this is my cue to, well, do something other than just passively read every post that comes through.IC(Fellwyd): The man known as Douglas Smith was sitting fairly contentedly near the docks in Cardiff bay when the black barge made its entrance. The alien had set up a fairly relaxed routine for himself, as the prolonged silence from the communications equipment he'd salvaged from the wreck - all of which he'd subsequently discarded, leaving him only with the device providing him with his disguise and his translator - had convinced him that he would have to make the best of life on a foreign planet.The interruption in this routine was, therefore, most unwelcome, and "Douglas Smith" moved carefully towards the edge of the docks to observe the intrusion in more detail. As he did so, he noticed another person - likely a genuine human - moving in the same direction, in sharp contrast to the crowds fleeing the bay.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

IC: (Nihilo): "The proposal seems just. I will accompany your operatives on this mission." Nihilo then moved his hovering body into a more comfortable position, ready to listen.IC: (Surge): "Paperwork. Yay." Surge said sarcastically. "Anyway, I have no idea what happened. Care to fill us in? I could probably find out myself, but it seems easier to just ask."

IC: Grand Cross nodded in acceptance. "Then we have but Typhoon to wait for, and the party is assembled. He is rarely late so I expect we will be seeing him soon."IC: As Sarah drew nearer she became aware of a disgusting stench. Go to any docks and you'd find a pungently fishy odour, but that wasn't what this was. It was the smell of decay, the kind that makes your animal instincts shriver in terror. Where on earth was it coming from? She did her best to ignore the smell and pressed on, weaving through the terrified civilians.She reached the edge of the docks, noticing a flight of stone steps that descended into the water, and immediately poured her will into the surging waters of the bay. Several people who had been thrown from the boats found themselves whisked towards the steps by helpful currents. They clambered to safety, some simply sprinting away, others figuring out that the woman standing in concentration was responsible for their rescue and offering a quick thanks before leaving.Boats were continuing to shatter and collapse as the barge ploughed into them. Only, Sarah realised now, plenty of boats the barge hadn't touched were sinking as well. Dark shadows skittered beneath the surging waters of the bay...

Edited by Kumata

IC(Fellwyd): As the human manipulated the water, Fellwyd recognized her as one of the abnormally powerful humans that seemed to abound on this planet. Another thing he noticed, though, was an odor that had crept in beneath the fishy smell he associated with the bay - a rotten, sickly smell, a smell that brought to mind pictures of battles lost, of battlefields days after the slaughter, of death.Almost without thinking, the alien's hand strayed towards his waist, towards a hidden switch that, if flicked, would deactivate his disguise. For just a moment, the hand hovered there as Fellwyd stared at the barge, debating whether to reveal himself in the face of battle. At last, after some hesitation, the hand dropped, and Douglas Smith prepared to face whatever horror was behind the appearance of the barge.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

IC: The barge drifted to a halt; its size meant it had come about as far into the bay as it could. Sarah concentrated further, and a shelf of ice formed, extending twenty or so feet from the edge of the docks. It was tasking for her to create so many currents in water that was already being fiercely disturbed, so after drawing the civilians to the ice shelf they could climb up and make the rest of their escape on foot.Unfortunately, two didn't make it that far. One man was drifting in the wake of a current when he vanished underwater without even time to yell. The second was just clambering onto the ice shelf when something leapt from the water, clamped onto his arm with huge jaws, and dragged him under. A cloud of red revealed his fate. Sarah balked as she watched it happen. That thing had looked like a shark, but... different. Worse.Certain that she had helped everybody to escape the water by now, Sarah sublimated most of the ice shelf. That which remained rose upwards, forming a bridge between the edge of the docks and the bow of the barge. She moved onto the bridge. It was clear that whatever was going on here, a lot more people could get killed if she didn't deal with it fast. Unfortunately she wasn't just without a supersuit, she was without her League communicator as well. So no calling for backup on this one...

Edited by Kumata

IC(Fellwyd): If the alien had a mind geared towards subterfuge and surprise attacks, he might have considered walking across the ice bridge, boarding the barge, and then revealing his true nature at the moment battle commenced, perhaps catching his unknown enemy off-guard.Fellwyd, however, had no such mind. A quick buzzing sound, like electricity arcing through the air, was heard for a split second, and Douglas Smith had disappeared, leaving behind a pale yellow reptile with red eyes and a healed stump where a tail used to be. Examining his leathery body armor for a second, Fellwyd followed the superhuman onto the bridge, glancing warily over the edge at the shadows circling in the waters below.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

IC: Kaname fell back immediately as the portal opened. being pulled in he brought out his card, "Awaken!" suddenly a flash of black lighting appeared from the card and almost in a instant a long katana sword(blade is 6ft long and the handle is seven inches long) appeared in a flash of Black lighting stabbing itself about 2ft into the floor. Kaname was now holding on for his dear life, both hands on the handle, he was currently using his powers to keep his blade in the floor.He saw fade fly by and tried to catch him but he wasnt close enough, now fade was hanging for his dear life holding onto a wire. "What a pain in the rear end..." it might have been because of his own experience thats he's acting impassive, or he's not coming up with anything on how to get out of this situation."You know it might be a better idea to just let this thing take us in Ne?" Suicidal? Yes. Smart? Maybe. Good Plan? he didnt even know if they could get back to this world from wherever they were going to get sent.

odstreflect.png

OOC: It should be noted that katana tend to be closer to 2 feet than 6. A sword of Japanese make approaching 6 feet in length would be rather more likely to be a nodachi than a katana.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

IC: Typhoon strolled into the conference room, cape billowing ever so slightly dramatically behind him (well, what use were wind-related powers if you weren't going to use them for stunts like that?). He nodded to Grand Cross, Hivemind, and the other villains he knew and respected, but looked inquisitively at Negafire and Nihilo, neither of which he recognised

7AOYGDJ.jpg

OOC: It should be noted that katana tend to be closer to 2 feet than 6. A sword of Japanese make approaching 6 feet in length would be rather more likely to be a nodachi than a katana.

OOC: Or an Odachi, but i didnt want to get technical.

odstreflect.png

OOC: Plus a bunch of people aren't going to know what either of those are, so I suppose it is safest to just say katana so they know the basic shape of the thing.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

IC: Negafire watched to confrontation with Grand Cross and Nihilo with slight interest. Antimatter was cool, but this guy had just broken into the newbase and all. He nodded to Hivemind when she walked in, and sarcasticly saluted Typhoon. While his hand was resting on his forehead, he took the oppourtunity to snap his fingers and ignite his hair, transforming it into a blue fire. He then took a seat by Gap and nodded to her. "Hope ya don't mind if I sit here."IC: Magneta nodded in response to what Surge said. "I haven't heard any details either, what happened?"IC: As soon as the machine began sucking things in, Plasmafire burst into his flame form and tried to fly away from the wormhole. That turned out to be a bad move, as he realized he wasn't actually going anywhere, the wormhole was negating his foward momentum. He turned and saw that Fade was coming dangerously close to falling into the wormhole, and backed off his flight a it, slowly moving towards Fade. "Fade! I'm gonna brace myself against something, the grab the rope and pull you in, okay?" He paused for a second to listen to Kaname's suggestion, and shook his head. "Are you crazy?! Look, I can lob a plasma orb at the thing, detonate as it goes through, it might be enough to shut it down!"

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodies? Your grace."

"I know that one. 'Who watches the Watchmen?' Me, Mr. Pessimal."

"Ah, but who watches you, your grace?"

"I do that too. All the time."

If anyone would be interested in co-hosting a Discworld-themed RPG for OTC, please PM me!

IC:Hivemind gestured towards Typhoon and Negafire with what looked like half a wave, half a mock-salute. She knew Typhoon vaguely, neither really liked him nor hated him, and was content to keep things that way. It was the way she felt towards most of the Coalition: she knew they existed, and sometimes she acknowledged it. Negafire, on the other hand, she couldn't say she'd ever heard of, probably just some new blood brought in by the latest Coalition restructuring. Who she was working with wasn't exactly important, of course. She already chose to associate with the Coalition, so she could care less about the company she'd have to keep on this mission.---Fade tried to drag himself up along the rope, but the pull of the wormhole was just too strong for him to fight against. It was taking all his effort just to remain on this side of the portal. Fade heard Plasmafire's directions coming from up above - well, technically it was just across the room, but with intense pull of the portal might as well have flipped the whole room sideways - and gave him a thumbs up with his free hand. He was just about to tell him that shooting a plasma orb at what might potentially be a hole in the fabric of reality itself might be a bad idea, when suddenly the portal surged and expanded, pulling Fade through through its event horizon. Only his grappler kept Fade from flying right on through to wherever the portal lead - if it even lead anywhere at all - and with a shower of sparks the computer it was attached to started to creak and bend under the strain, likely to break completely at any moment.Meanwhile, the floor around Kaname's blade started to creak, the strain of having an impressively enormous blade strike through it having caused a good degree of structural damage. With the intense pull of the wormhole, the floor around Kaname was starting to be torn apart and sucked through the portal. Whether or not he his plan was a good one, it looked like he was in danger of having the decision made for him...[For Science!]

and that is beautiful.

and that is beautiful.

IC: Plasmafire gasped as Fade slid through the portal. He planted his feet on a terminal and melted the metal, effectivly fusing his feet to it temporarily. He grapped the grapple rope and looked back to Kaname, groaning as he realized the floor around him was breaking up. He quickly realized that he was the only one with level footing here, and pointed a finger towards Kaname. A whote hot stream of plasma shot from his fingertip and ran along the cracks around the other hero. With any luck, the floor would melt back together and buy Kaname time. With that done, Plasmafire tightening his grip on the rope and pulled with everything in him, trying to drag Fade back through.

If anyone would be interested in co-hosting a Discworld-themed RPG for OTC, please PM me!

IC:Fade's grappler held for a few moments, but the reheating and cooling of the metal left the terminal weak, and it finally snapped under the strain. Fade's grappling line vanished further into the portal, and now it was threatening to drag Plasmafire in with it. Meanwhile, the seals Plasmafire had made in the cracks held... until the entire chunk was just ripped straight from the floor, sword and all. The portal had grown to terrifying strength by this point, and they were both sucked down into it like water down a bathtub drain.---Isobel Steele lowered a welder's mask onto her face - she hadn't told Bryan she had it, it was just something she'd found last time she'd snuck off with Jacob to the dump - and started a flame on her makeshift torch. Yes, sure she'd had to dismantle the oven just to make the torch, and subsequently hooked said torch to the gas line, but it was okay. Isobel was almost positive she'd be able to get everything back together by the time Bryan got back home. At this point, her brother had just gotten used to the fact he'd occasionally return to the apartment and find some appliance in pieces on the floor, either because Isobel needed a component for her latest science project, or because she'd just been overcome with the urge to find out how it worked.Using her makeshift torch, Isobel began to graft a metal arm into the socket of her latest project. Bryan hadn't liked the idea for her newest creation; he encouraged her tinkering for the most part as long as she didn't take apart anything he couldn't put back together, but he had to put his foot down on any project that was potentially lethal. He'd said that he was perfectly capable of protecting Isobel if something bad happened, that she wasn't experienced enough yet to take the defense of their home into her own hands, and that, really, there were safer hobbies for an eight year-old girl than building a killer robot. But, of course, most young girls didn't have a mad scientist for a father, and certainly only a few of them had helped foil at least two separate alien invasions, once with only minimal help.And of course, the aliens were exactly why Isobel needed to do this, she'd explained. She'd witnessed at least three alien invasions in the past few months; extrapolate that data, and that meant she'd see at least two dozen more before she was ten. She needed to be prepared, and if the aliens were going to bring killer robots to the fight, well, then so was she. She flicked a switch on, preparing her robot for its first test run. Pulling a rubber ball out of her pocket, Isobel let it bounce a few times in the path of the Killbot's sensors. Warning lights and sirens flashed on the robot, and it wheeled forward on its treads - okay, so Isobel had made those using the radiator belt in Bryan's car, but he lived in New York, how often did he really drive?"INTRUDER! DETECTED! ENGAGING DEFENSE MODE: KILLKILLMURDERKILLDESTROYKILLKILL..." the Killbot exclaimed enthusiastically.Isobel had gotten Jacob to do the voice for it; she was particularly proud of having altered his recordings into something resembling actual menace. It's arm slung forward, hurling a variety of kitchen utensils Isobel had managed to scrounge together after the path of the bouncing ball. Just as her Killbot was about halfway through the process of redecorating the apartment with assorted forks and butcher knives, all the lights went dark. The Killbot wound down to a halt; on reflection, Isobel decided, using that power cord from Bryan's alarm clock probably wasn't the best idea for a power source. Better use batteries next time, although she doubted the ones in the remote would cut it.Isobel threw open a window and stepped out onto the fire escape. All around the block, and presumably across the city, lights had just gone off. There must have been a power surge in the grid somewhere, which blew out a generator or a transformer or something. Isobel was almost positive she could design a better power grid for the city, but she doubted the Mayor would listen to her, and uranium was hard to come by anyway. She could see parts of the city lighting back up as backup generators came online, but it'd be a while before power came back to her block. Isobel stepped back inside, scribbling across a sheet of paper in crayon. Might as well use this time to draw up plans for Killbot Mk 2.0...---Wingman, the only remaining member of the group not sucked into the portal, struggled with all his will to avoid meeting the same fate. His wings beat harder than he'd ever thought possible, but he was losing a battle of inches, and it was only a matter of time before he too was dragged off into the unknown. Just before he was about to resign himself to such a fate, the lights in the room died, the computer banks flickered off, and the rings ground to a halt with a demonic grinding sound. Without the power sustaining it, the portal collapsed in on itself, plunging the room into darkness once more. Wingman crashed to the ground, struggling with his pockets for his lighter.That machine was connected to the New York City power grid, Fade had said. He'd also said it had required an enormous amount of power, and if Wingman had to guess he'd say keeping the device active had been far too much of a strain. It must have blown a fuse, and with the grid down the machine had gone too. He swept his lighter through the darkness, searching for any sign of Fade, Plasmafire, or Kaname. No luck, they were gone. But where on Earth - if it was even on Earth - could they have gone to?---Fade tumbled across space, a swirl of orange and red nearly blinding them. As his eyes slowly focused, he could see trails of bright yellow surrounding them. These branches of yellow were positively massive; they looked the size of planets to Fade, but for all he knew they could be large as planets at this distance. The glowing lines crossed and intersected at varying points, looking all at once like a tree, a web, and a river. As Fade soared over them, he caught glimpses of things that had never been in the universe, and probably never would: worlds of metal and flame, planets of light and sound. It all danced around him like a ballet of the cosmos, in harmony like a symphony of reality.But as beautiful as it all was, Fade wanted desperately to get out of it. He might be seeing things previously unknown to man, but that meant nothing if he didn't survive to tell the tale. He looked for some sort of exit, another hole like the one they'd fallen through to begin with. Just when Fade began to despair that perhaps The Technician had seen fit to simply dump them in this cosmic sea for all eternity, a tear ripped on the surface of one of the shining branches. All Fade could see was whiteness on the other side; tradition wisdom was that you should not head into the light, but he couldn't see them having any other choice at this point."Guys!" he shouted, diving through the void towards the closing gap. "Follow me!"[For Science!]

and that is beautiful.

and that is beautiful.

IC: Plasmafire gaped as he saw the incredible sight before him. It was only Fade's voice that jerked him back to reality. He looked around and saw the light that Fade was heading towards, igniting his body again, he rocketed towards it, if even just one of them could get through, the might be able to get help of some kind...

IC:Fade dove through the other end of the portal, suddenly finding himself flung into the air a good two stories above an alleyway. He unfurled his glider cape to stop his plummet, but this proved unnecessary as he crashed down softly into a snowbank. That probably explained the blinding whiteness he'd seen through the portal. The ground was covered in a sheet of snow; at its most shallow it was about a foot deep, at its tallest it completely dwarfed Fade. The other two fell from the portal and landed in the snowbank as well, the heat radiating off Plasmafire melting the snow as he touched down. Above them the portal fizzled, collapsing in on itself into nothing. Fade took a look at his surroundings, finding them oddly familiar."Wait... this... I know this alleyway... I pass it every day on the way to work... we're still in New York!" he said. "But snow... why snow, and why so much of it? There was no snow on the ground when we left... Maybe the portal... I don't know, maybe it took us through time instead of space. This wouldn't be the first time this sort of thing has happened to me, unfortunately. I'm gonna head up to the rooftop, maybe I can figure out when we are based off the skyline or something."Fade slung his grappling hook, rappelling up the side of the nearest building. What he saw shocked him, quite ironically chilling him to the core.New York City was frozen. Not simply coated in a layer of snow as he might have thought, but truly and completely frozen. Across the skyline, buildings were coated in a layer of ice, light glittering off them like expensive crystals. What had once been New York Harbor was now a valley, the water level drastically drained and what remained frozen solid. The sky was overcast with thick grey clouds, only the slightest sunlight reaching the ground below. And above it all, towering over the frosted skyline of New York, was a massive spire of ice, so tall the top vanished into the clouds."Guys... we might still be in New York, but we're certainly not in Kansas any more," he said. For once the look on his face was truly panicked. "I have a theory about where we are, but just so I know how much I have to explain... how much do you guys know about alternate realities?"[For Science!]

and that is beautiful.

and that is beautiful.

IC: Plasmafire didn't even wantto think about the implications of Fade's commmment but... "Um... you mean something along the lines of a new universe being created every time a choice is made? Infinite universes for infinite choices? ARE WE IN AN ALTERNATE UNIVERSE?!"