Bionicle Fighter: Broken Virtues

Katuko

I'll just have to reduce the amount of function calls per step, then. The prime source of lag is likely that every AI keeps calling direction and distance checks, and especially collision checks to find walls between them and the target.

Hm... well, I was picturing the Disk Launcher as a very versitale weapon. How about this: Metru is selected during weapon customization (possibly with a slight shape/style variation for each Metru, with a seventh option being Vakama's Ta-Metru Toa Tool), the "weapon trigger" key cycles through available disks at the cost of a "reload" animation leaving the user vulnerable, and the power level is determined by a function of the user's Mind stat (and possibly Strength as well).
Yeah, I understand that including a Kanoka launcher only to make it fire regular projectiles is a bit boring and throws away a lot of potential gameplay effects, but I think I'll just add it as that at first and then program powers to the disks later. A neutral, "powerless" version would naturally be available as well, in case someone's OC doesn't use powered disks in their launcher. :)
Perhaps the "powerless" versions could be constantly set at mid-level damage, so that it's trading versitality for reliability?
Reminds me: I'll need a sprite animation (arm motion) for reloading a disk launcher. Just putting the hand up or something, should be pretty simple for me to do.
Want me to try my hand at it?
Be my guest. Make any sprite you want, really. :lol:
Okay. Do you want a "both hands on the launcher" or a "reach back and grab disk like Vakama?"
Hm... perhaps for Reconstitute at Random disks, whichever item is targeted (with a system similar to how you defined Disentigration earlier) will randomly "shapeshift" into a pre-set shape and be unusable for a few seconds? For example, blocking foes might have their shield transform into... something... and become temporarily useless.
I like this idea. Temporarily applying a debuff to the struck item (heavier shield, smaller shield, fragile shield, etc) would work a lot better than just scrambling the whole character, I think. A direct hit on a non-armored foe could do that, but not the go-to effect for any hit, I think.
Yeah, I'd personally hate to be randomized, especially in midair. :o It'd be the new Disentigration. :P
I was on Karda Nui, playing one of my secondary combinations (Air Toa + Nuva-design Miru + Air Saber). I searched around for the Keystone for about twenty minutes or so, but still couldn't find it - and normally, I can get it in the first couple of minutes at the most.
You might take delight in hearing that a redesign of that level would entail splitting the Keystone into six pieces, placed at semi-random positions in the level. Each piece would swirl around the user or be displayed in some other way so that it would be easier to see who has it.
Thank you, Katuko. :P Now I can track down and kill my targets so much more easily!
Eventually, things started going downhill. My Air Saber ran out of durability, so I was now completely weaponless. Being a Toa of Air, I tried to Cyclone my foes to death - only to discover to my dismay that every character I could find was either a Rahkshi or a Toa of Gravity! As a result, Cyclone did little-to-no damage, so I was forced to run and hide from most of my enemies for the next five minutes or so.
Well, if you had the primary power available I suspect you might have had an easier time, but I see the problem.
If the primarily power had a "push off cliff" effect, then possibly so. :PThat reminds me: you probably need to figure out how to keep measuring knockback as someone else's "hit," so knocking someone into the border or off a cliff still counts as a kill.
Eventually, I managed to finish off a Rahkshi of Silence and steal its staff, and went into melee combat with a few Rahkshi. I managed to score some kills, only to realize to my disappointment that I still couldn't find the Keystone. Long story short, I ran around killing CPUs for about five minutes, searching for the Keystones, until my "borrowed" staff's durability ran out as well.
Did these NPCs not have weapons? :)
Surprisingly, most of them didn't. :< The first one I did find with weapons had a Staff of Disentigration, and nearly finished me off right then and there - that might've explained why nobody else had weapons either. :< Combined with the fact that I had a fairly low Strength stat... well, it was not fun.
At this point, I was getting a little frustrated. My Nuva Armor was just a distant memory at this point, and I'd had to replace my Miru five times with the random hovering free samples. I went to the left village and took a Staff of Shapeshifting - but I was attacked by a Rahkshi of Disentigation, who reduced my health to 30 and destroyed all of my scrapped gear, even my Kanohi.
This right here is probably the biggest problem with the game mechanics right now, I agree. A single hit from certain attacks can break your items, and armor does not last for very long. I was going off the typical FPS version of armor (Counter-Strike, for example), where it is just some extra health padding of sorts. Clearly BIONICLE lends itself better to a proper RPG model, though, so that's where my redesigned engine will be going. Not to turn-based RPG, mind, it will still be the same game with the same style and such. It will just be a bit better in the whole "numbers" department.
Yeah, I know what you're talking about. I think that the RPG model is definitely superior for this type of game, that's for sure.
I managed to run to the teleporter in time to save myself, and ran to the other side of the platform to grab a Miru. To my dismay, there was a Toa of Gravity there, and I nearly died by Gravity Pin. As it was, I managed to snag the Miru and smash the Emanate command in time to jump and hover over him - but he was still chasing me, and my health was near-critical.
I had actually forgot that I ever added that ability. Thanks for reminding me. blush.png
Yeah, the character select says it's unavailable. I discovered it a few weeks ago when I was messing around with a Miru. :P
The Rahkshi had literally been hovering at the ceiling for the entire battle, doing nothing, and they had taken the Keystone with them. I've noticed this bug before, but never noticed it nearly as much as I did then!...Then after I spammed Cyclone a few times, they all died and I finally snagged the Keystone. But that's not important in the slightest.
Point of this anecdote: your AI's pretty buggy, and I really don't like the current Durability system.
The current AI is pretty stupid, really. All it does is simulate button presses based on some predetermined rules. Rahkshi easily get stuck to the ceiling because they want to get slightly on top of their opponent before they drop back down, but when both are doing that they will hit the ceiling and neither will get that little height advantage they need. The current alternative is that they start dropping down immediately, meaning that they will never really fly except to save their life (and earlier, they didn't even try to break their fall).Better AI is indeed in order, especially since every AI player lives only to spite you. They don't care if they eat a whole EP bar's worth of flamethrower so long as they can get that one melee attack on you. They don't care if they have the Keystone or not, they just want you dead. They don't care for the boss or anyone being a larger threat than you, they only care about the closest enemy. A more state-based AI, coupled with a hidden RPG-esque "aggro" stat could help alleviate this.Item durability I have discussed a bit earlier, and yeah: it will change. :)
Yeah, I can see why that'd be a problem. Especially now... But yeah, I would say that making the AI more state-based and less... well... single-minded would help.Yeah, item durability... well, I'm looking forward to the redesign for that part, that's for sure. :P

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

Perhaps the "powerless" versions could be constantly set at mid-level damage, so that it's trading versatility for reliability?
I was thinking something along those lines, yes.
Want me to try my hand at it?
Be my guest. Make any sprite you want, really. :lol:
Okay. Do you want a "both hands on the launcher" or a "reach back and grab disk like Vakama?"
Having both would be nice, since the reach-back could be re-purposed for unsheathing weapons and the simple two-handed reload could be used for switching the "mode" of a gun weapon. Take a redesigned Laser Drill, for example. You'd be able to use it as a standard melee (bash people over the head with it) or switch to "shooting mode" where it fires lasers.
I like this idea. Temporarily applying a debuff to the struck item (heavier shield, smaller shield, fragile shield, etc) would work a lot better than just scrambling the whole character, I think. A direct hit on a non-armored foe could do that, but not the go-to effect for any hit, I think.
Yeah, I'd personally hate to be randomized, especially in midair. :o It'd be the new Disentigration. :P
Get hit in the face and get a randomized Kanohi! No reprieve for you! :lol:
Well, if you had the primary power available I suspect you might have had an easier time, but I see the problem.
If the primarily power had a "push off cliff" effect, then possibly so. :PThat reminds me: you probably need to figure out how to keep measuring knockback as someone else's "hit," so knocking someone into the border or off a cliff still counts as a kill.
Primary air will indeed have knockback. The knockback system is crude and simple, however, and doesn't lend itself well to continuous hits. Something like Magnetism might work, but that is also rather crude at the moment.The way TF2 and some other games measure environmental kills is that they keep your last attacker stored as a variable, and if you die soon after then they are credited with the kill somehow. If you die from a burn or bleed they applied, it's either a full kill or an assist kill if someone else hit you in the mean time. If you die due to falling off a cliff or being hit by the train or something, then they get credited for a "finished off" kill so long as it was within a few seconds of them hitting you last.This leads to another problem: If you get hit by a pistol bullet, wait, then deliberately jump to your death, they still get credit despite it being a suicide for you. It's to prevent people from cheating you out of your score by killing themselves when they are fighting a losing battle, so I suppose it works.
Yeah, I can see why that'd be a problem. Especially now... But yeah, I would say that making the AI more state-based and less... well... single-minded would help.
The beauty of state-based AI... I want to have it but it's so much work to do from scratch. :3

I played for almost an hour and enjoyed it, but I had two problems so I'm just going to suggest how to improve on those areas. Not sure if they've been mentioned, though. Maybe you could keep a list of stuff people have pointed out.My first problem is that apparently you can only get points by lowering other stats. Now if that's the case, why have points at all? Sure, it seems balanced, but I don't really like dying a ton of times just because I want to keep my stats yet have armor or a shield instead of a weapon. So I just suggest that you should do one of two things:1) Base gaining points around skill, like awarding a point if you do exceptionally well. I don't mean like "every kill" because that's not balanced. I mean like doing REALLY well, so that everyone will have a chance at getting points, new or experienced. To balance this more, if possible, make it so you can only gain points in online arenas, since that way people can't abuse bots.2) Remove points altogether.My second problem was just that on the Ta-Koro stage, the cave on the right is kinda too small to get into without being very, very careful, or a teleportation ability. Maybe raise the entrance or such? Also, I can't get to the higher part of it either, although I'm unsure if that's intentional or not.Either way, I felt the game itself was great, even if it's not finished, so don't think I'm trying to be rude. Just trying to help a little.

I played for almost an hour and enjoyed it, but I had two problems so I'm just going to suggest how to improve on those areas. Not sure if they've been mentioned, though. Maybe you could keep a list of stuff people have pointed out.My first problem is that apparently you can only get points by lowering other stats. Now if that's the case, why have points at all? Sure, it seems balanced, but I don't really like dying a ton of times just because I want to keep my stats yet have armor or a shield instead of a weapon. So I just suggest that you should do one of two things:1) Base gaining points around skill, like awarding a point if you do exceptionally well. I don't mean like "every kill" because that's not balanced. I mean like doing REALLY well, so that everyone will have a chance at getting points, new or experienced. To balance this more, if possible, make it so you can only gain points in online arenas, since that way people can't abuse bots.2) Remove points altogether.
Katuko's been discussing the new engine a bit lately. Shields and armor will weigh your character down in the next version rather than costing points if I remember correctly, so you've got little to worry about there.
My second problem was just that on the Ta-Koro stage, the cave on the right is kinda too small to get into without being very, very careful, or a teleportation ability. Maybe raise the entrance or such? Also, I can't get to the higher part of it either, although I'm unsure if that's intentional or not.Either way, I felt the game itself was great, even if it's not finished, so don't think I'm trying to be rude. Just trying to help a little.
Yeah, both Ta-Koro caves need tweaking, as the stage currently has a major preference for fliers (as they get two otherwise-inaccesible cave hideouts in the stage, one of which is cool enough that they can lose heat while inside). You might need some other way to access those - for example, a stalagmite bridge. Edited by Meta-Mind

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

I played for almost an hour and enjoyed it, but I had two problems so I'm just going to suggest how to improve on those areas. Not sure if they've been mentioned, though. Maybe you could keep a list of stuff people have pointed out.
I should start doing that.
My first problem is that apparently you can only get points by lowering other stats. Now if that's the case, why have points at all? Sure, it seems balanced, but I don't really like dying a ton of times just because I want to keep my stats yet have armor or a shield instead of a weapon.
You get one point free, and Kanohi do not cost points. The thought was that you could always get a weapon if you wanted, or alternately just boost a stat and rely on item drops to beef yourself up. My first idea was also that armor would lower DEX automatically, but then I thought that some characters are quick even in bulky armor, and landed on you being able to choose which stat to penalize for additional items. I'm going back to the "armor is heavy" route, though, so there's that. I agree that the current stat system is not all that great. A weapon always gives a higher boost than 1 point of STR, for example.Gaining points by playing will not be possible. I will not have any sort of "level up" mechanic in this game. The removal of points is the way to go, I think.
My second problem was just that on the Ta-Koro stage, the cave on the right is kinda too small to get into without being very, very careful, or a teleportation ability. Maybe raise the entrance or such? Also, I can't get to the higher part of it either, although I'm unsure if that's intentional or not.
Ta-Koro is missing vital parts, such as the well-known mechanical bridge on the left side, the fortress in the middle (where there is a placeholder scaffolding now) and an elevator on the right side. I never found that cave hard to reach, but that might just be me. The jump is designed to be possible even with 1 DEX.
Either way, I felt the game itself was great, even if it's not finished, so don't think I'm trying to be rude. Just trying to help a little.
Well, apart from getting people to play the game that's what this topic is for. :)
Yeah, both Ta-Koro caves need tweaking, as the stage currently has a major preference for fliers (as they get two otherwise-inaccesible cave hideouts in the stage, one of which is cool enough that they can lose heat while inside). You might need some other way to access those - for example, a stalagmite bridge.
Conversely, getting to either of those places is ultimately pointless, since no items spawn there and the main fight is going on in the center. :PI was thinking of making the middle of the platform cool as well, with only the edges heated due to their proximity to the lava. Edited by Katuko

speaking of Ta-koro... I don't like spontaneously combusting.... and, the rahkshi of fragmentation and disintegration's powers seem too similar too me.but than again, based on their names, they aren't much different. on causes the target to disintegrate, the other causes them to disintegrate violently.and those powers have always seemed pretty much the same to me. (since 03. not since I started playing the game.)

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

true. almost forgot about that.and magnetism. I hate fighting magnetic toa... can't keep a hold of my weapon long enough to do anything....

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

and magnetism. I hate fighting magnetic toa... can't keep a hold of my weapon long enough to do anything....
If we're listing annoying things, I would include whichever Rahkshi that induces flinch, too. They always flinch me again the second I recover from the previous one. Maybe it should last a bit less.Also, played some more, and I feel like Rahkshi's jet boot thingies/flight ability lasts too long, but I don't know what to say on that.Also, since I'm here, I'd like to suggest Visorak as a playable race and the Sea of Protodermis (from the end of BIONICLE 2) as a stage.

and magnetism. I hate fighting magnetic toa... can't keep a hold of my weapon long enough to do anything....
If we're listing annoying things, I would include whichever Rahkshi that induces flinch, too. They always flinch me again the second I recover from the previous one. Maybe it should last a bit less.Also, played some more, and I feel like Rahkshi's jet boot thingies/flight ability lasts too long, but I don't know what to say on that.Also, since I'm here, I'd like to suggest Visorak as a playable race and the Sea of Protodermis (from the end of BIONICLE 2) as a stage.
Rahkshi can fly as long as they feel like it. If you don't like them flying, shoot them down! :PI was just saying something I found mildly irritating at times. not necessarily something that's wrong.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

- Magnetism will likely get something of a work-over, matching the user's elemental skill vs the victim's strength and/or dexterity in order to determine if the weapon gets torn out of his or her hands. Not attacking at the moment would give you a boost to hold on; swinging your weapon would make it easier to take it away. Or something.- Knockback is not really good at the moment. Changes to the engine ahoy!- Rahkshi can fly to their heart's content, yeah. New engine might make some changes to how flying and attacking works (multi-direction, etc), but Rahkshi will always have unlimited flight one way or the other.- Visorak will not be a playable race, most likely. The ones we know of have rather bizarre/hard-to-program powers, and I have basically no Visorak sprites available. Like Vahki, they are better suited as NPCs, I think.

If Rahkshi flight is an issue, then how about this (applies to Levitation and Gravity Toa as well): nerf upward flight speed to the point of making it extremely slow, like the canon Miru and Rahkshi. This way, they can still get unlimited flight/levitation, but it's more canon and more balanced. Because seriously, I don't recall many Rahkshi flying in-canon, even though they technically could.

Well, it's a catch-all code for now, but Levitation was planned to only accept initial motion such as a run or jump, and then you'd glide to a stop after a while. The original idea for Gravity and the Air special was also to have a sort of "floaty" motion.Rahkshi, meanwhile, needs their "flight mode", I think, as seen in Mask of Light and the online animations. High speed at the cost of attack options, I imagine. The canon Rahkshi are not slow at all.

That idea of Levitation works, though I would suggest making Levitation users be able to maneuver themselves at about half their running speed when in the air (or perhaps they gain the equivalent running speed of a Dexterity value on ground based on their Mind stat?). Gravity probably shouldn't even be able to fly at all to be honest, it makes the power just extremely overpowered in general. I would suggest some sort of ability that allows Gravity-users to be immune to the gravity effects of others' Gravity power, or perhaps allow Gravity's Absorb to lift the user if they jump...Well, if I remember correctly, Rahkshi in MoL are shown just hovering as well as "flight mode." Perhaps Rahkshi can fold up for flight at a button press, at the cost of a bit of starting/ending lag and being unable to attack effectively, but be able to stop and hover with the right command...? If that's the case, then I'd suggest toggling on and off with something like Absorb. Perhaps you could make Flight Mode useable only to staff-users?Another thing: Perhaps the eventual Kadin could be similar to the Rahkshi mechanics, at least coding-wise?

I think I mentioned this but the rahkshi of teleportation is really fun to play, but not very useful for attacking. but the fact that I can teleport (with enough forethought) to a suva whenever I feel like it, makes it incredibly handy at times. but attacking is difficult.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

That idea of Levitation works, though I would suggest making Levitation users be able to maneuver themselves at about half their running speed when in the air
That's just about what they do now. ;)
Gravity probably shouldn't even be able to fly at all to be honest, it makes the power just extremely overpowered in general. I would suggest some sort of ability that allows Gravity-users to be immune to the gravity effects of others' Gravity power, or perhaps allow Gravity's Absorb to lift the user if they jump...
I should make the ability drain EP, if nothing else. They are using their element to fly, after all.
Well, if I remember correctly, Rahkshi in MoL are shown just hovering as well as "flight mode." Perhaps Rahkshi can fold up for flight at a button press, at the cost of a bit of starting/ending lag and being unable to attack effectively, but be able to stop and hover with the right command...?
They spend a second or two to hover into "flight mode", so yes, there would be startup-lag for flight mode, plus lack of melee and certain special powers while flying. In general we could say that the primary attack would work but the secondary would not. In exchange they have unlimited flight and decent flight speed.
If that's the case, then I'd suggest toggling on and off with something like Absorb. Perhaps you could make Flight Mode useable only to staff-users?
This is also an option. I was thinking of making Rahkshi staffs no longer boost level directly (following some changes to the stat mechanics as well) but instead simply lower the EP usage of its user, or alternately applying the level boost only to attacks and not to passive abilities.
I think I mentioned this but the rahkshi of teleportation is really fun to play, but not very useful for attacking. but the fact that I can teleport (with enough forethought) to a suva whenever I feel like it, makes it incredibly handy at times. but attacking is difficult.
Feel free to blame the currently very limited melee attacks for that. :)...There are so many things I have to fix on this game. XD And it's typical that I get the urge to start programming mostly during the weeks where I have to do schoolwork. This week it's an exam hand-in of 4000 words. Edited by Katuko

ooh. that sucks.and beaming myself around the map made me think that that target redical (that's probably spelled wrong.) used for teleporting would work nicely for a sniper rifle type weapon.just an idea.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

and beaming myself around the map made me think that that target redical (that's probably spelled wrong.) used for teleporting would work nicely for a sniper rifle type weapon.just an idea.
It's called 'reticle', 'reticule' or 'crosshairs', FTR. :)The Environment attacks (none exist yet) would use such an aiming system. I was thinking making Laser Vision and similar also use such aiming, but I decided against it. We'll see how an engine revision affects aiming. I'm thinking that you'd be able to aim in the typical 4 (and maybe 8) directions; but of course then I'd have to revise some other things as well. A lot of things. All the things.Holy Gadunka.

Good idea, but it would work best against enemies that aren't doing anything or really slow enemies.
no necessarily, If the hit is instant (or close to it. bullets are supersonic) than that's negating having to figure out where they are going. as long as they stay in site, it shouldn't be too difficult. it depends on how fast the sight moves.
and beaming myself around the map made me think that that target redical (that's probably spelled wrong.) used for teleporting would work nicely for a sniper rifle type weapon.just an idea.
It's called 'reticle', 'reticule' or 'crosshairs', FTR. :)The Environment attacks (none exist yet) would use such an aiming system. I was thinking making Laser Vision and similar also use such aiming, but I decided against it. We'll see how an engine revision affects aiming. I'm thinking that you'd be able to aim in the typical 4 (and maybe 8) directions; but of course then I'd have to revise some other things as well. A lot of things. All the things.Holy Gadunka.
I don't think that's necessary at the moment. it would be nice, but the computer-bots aren't smart enough to actually make you have to use that.I say finish all the attacks first, because some of those sound fun, than work on reworking the system. if that's realistic.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Good idea, but it would work best against enemies that aren't doing anything or really slow enemies.
no necessarily, If the hit is instant (or close to it. bullets are supersonic) than that's negating having to figure out where they are going. as long as they stay in site, it shouldn't be too difficult. it depends on how fast the sight moves.
I meant more aiming than anything. If it moves as fast as the crosshairs on the teleporter, it might be a pain to get a shot on a target that is running and jumping.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

I meant more aiming than anything. If it moves as fast as the crosshairs on the teleporter, it might be a pain to get a shot on a target that is running and jumping.
that's why you go for the guy that's inevitably standing around checking out the skyline. :P

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Gravity probably shouldn't even be able to fly at all to be honest, it makes the power just extremely overpowered in general. I would suggest some sort of ability that allows Gravity-users to be immune to the gravity effects of others' Gravity power, or perhaps allow Gravity's Absorb to lift the user if they jump...
I should make the ability drain EP, if nothing else. They are using their element to fly, after all.
Hm, perhaps.
Well, if I remember correctly, Rahkshi in MoL are shown just hovering as well as "flight mode." Perhaps Rahkshi can fold up for flight at a button press, at the cost of a bit of starting/ending lag and being unable to attack effectively, but be able to stop and hover with the right command...?
They spend a second or two to hover into "flight mode", so yes, there would be startup-lag for flight mode, plus lack of melee and certain special powers while flying. In general we could say that the primary attack would work but the secondary would not. In exchange they have unlimited flight and decent flight speed.
Alright, that works.
If that's the case, then I'd suggest toggling on and off with something like Absorb. Perhaps you could make Flight Mode useable only to staff-users?
This is also an option. I was thinking of making Rahkshi staffs no longer boost level directly (following some changes to the stat mechanics as well) but instead simply lower the EP usage of its user, or alternately applying the level boost only to attacks and not to passive abilities.
Well, this could be a neat way to give the Rahkshi Staff some buffs. :P
Feel free to blame the currently very limited melee attacks for that. :)
I'll second the teleportation bit. The only problem is running out of weapon durability. :<
...There are so many things I have to fix on this game. XD And it's typical that I get the urge to start programming mostly during the weeks where I have to do schoolwork. This week it's an exam hand-in of 4000 words.
Ouch. That sounds like a bit of a pain to manage.

that's why you go for the guy that's inevitably standing around checking out the skyline. :P
That's what I'm talking about.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

Well, this could be a neat way to give the Rahkshi Staff some buffs. :P
Wait, you want buffs to the Rahkshi Staff? I may be a bit off, but I've found it as one of the more effective melee weapons due to range (melee system update should make it quite stellar once you can actually stab in different directions and also block with it to an extent) plus the power contained in it allows you some extra emergency ammo for when you run out of EP. Plus, that whole level boost thing if you're not already at max level.
Ouch. That sounds like a bit of a pain to manage.
Eh, I got 3000 words already. It's just a chore. After this I have a web page to make for my other class, and then we'll see how much time I have off in December to program. :)

and I found another bug. while using a rahkshi (or, presumably any flying character.) if you fly up out of a pool of lava, you will get a speed boost, and continue going in whatever direction you came out of the water, and the arrow keys seem to have little to no affect until you release the jump button.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

and I found another bug. while using a rahkshi (or, presumably any flying character.) if you fly up out of a pool of lava, you will get a speed boost, and continue going in whatever direction you came out of the water, and the arrow keys seem to have little to no affect until you release the jump button.
This works with both lava and water, by the way, due to the swimming codes being the same.

This works with both lava and water, by the way, due to the swimming codes being the same.
I kinda figured that, but never bothered to try it. plus I don't like dying by lavaand something rather amusing happened earlier. I was playing and the game lagged for about 20 or so seconds, and I somehow ended up with over 450 kills. (I had three beforehand)

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

It's started to happen after I gave everyone a little jump boost just as you exit the water. It is to prevent you from just bobbing up and down, and to allow maps to have small ledges (such as that platform on the ice fortress map) without having to put the water level up by the very edge. For some reason, it will not trigger hover effects until you press the button again. This is probably related to the lack of smoke trail when you first start to hover on land as well. If you don't press a directional key, the "hover smoke" does not appear, telling me that at some point in the code it has not registered that you are flying.
and something rather amusing happened earlier. I was playing and the game lagged for about 20 or so seconds, and I somehow ended up with over450 kills. (I had three beforehand)
For some reason I can never reproduce this bug, even though I play-test so often while programming. This, and the "reset to default character" bug. No idea what causes it; I can only guess.

It's started to happen after I gave everyone a little jump boost just as you exit the water. It is to prevent you from just bobbing up and down, and to allow maps to have small ledges (such as that platform on the ice fortress map) without having to put the water level up by the very edge. For some reason, it will not trigger hover effects until you press the button again. This is probably related to the lack of smoke trail when you first start to hover on land as well. If you don't press a directional key, the "hover smoke" does not appear, telling me that at some point in the code it has not registered that you are flying.
and something rather amusing happened earlier. I was playing and the game lagged for about 20 or so seconds, and I somehow ended up with over450 kills. (I had three beforehand)
For some reason I can never reproduce this bug, even though I play-test so often while programming. This, and the "reset to default character" bug. No idea what causes it; I can only guess.
the computer both these glitches happened on could get laggy at times. it would freeze up occasionally, I bet it was from that. it never happens on my computer. mines just slow.and if you jump and hover, and move only left and right, it doesn't trigger smoke either.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Thought: dual wielding?And perhaps weapons that cannot use a shield or offhand with?
Both of these will probably be a thing in the next update. Katuko's discussed a "perk" system, and one of the options will be dual-wielding Nuva-style. I suggested some auto-dual-wield weapons, such as Gali's Hooks or Takadox's Jagged Knives, which would not allow shields, if that's what you mean there.

the computer both these glitches happened on could get laggy at times. it would freeze up occasionally, I bet it was from that. it never happens on my computer. mines just slow.
Yeah, lag can cause some strange issues. Usually the calculations still happen, they just get displayed stuttered and way slow on your screen. Example: You get hit by a fireball. Lag causes you to frame-skip, and the next frame you actually see has you lying on the ground, hurt. This means that the actual game code still runs, but that the computer can't keep up and so only displays one or two frames here and there. Much, much rarer is the type of lag where things actually get skipped; meaning that a fireball might pass through you because you lagged just when it was about to hit, or perhaps it lags so it hits three times at once, or perhaps the kill counter update gets applied 50 times over. This should not happen on a computer that just lags, but apparently it does, occasionally.
and if you jump and hover, and move only left and right, it doesn't trigger smoke either.
Yup. All part of the same silly hover code. :lol:
Man, this is the best fighting game that existed.I'm waiting for the update! :)
Always glad to hear that! :)(Should I mention I've been doing everything else *but* programming lately? Naaah.)
Thought: dual wielding?And perhaps weapons that cannot use a shield or offhand with?
Both of these will probably be a thing in the next update. Katuko's discussed a "perk" system, and one of the options will be dual-wielding Nuva-style. I suggested some auto-dual-wield weapons, such as Gali's Hooks or Takadox's Jagged Knives, which would not allow shields, if that's what you mean there.
It will be a thing, but just when I won't say. Better melee and functional blocking and a better system for items than the current lackluster durability is obviously something I will need to focus on, but it'd have to be rather finished before I release it. As such I will work on it in a separate file, like the other revamped things. As such, I haven't actually done much of anything on the game itself since the last update.Oh no, I said it...
Does the shield do anything at this point? I have a Kopaka char, but it seems like all it does is sit there.
It gives you some extra passive damage resistance (meaning you simply take less damage from incoming attacks) but it's not possible to actually block with your shield.By the way: If my calculations are correct then a Toa of Iron wearing Nuva Armor and carrying a Protosteel Shield would have 100% damage resistance with the current stats; though the armor of course runs out rather quickly still. :P