Bionicle Fighter: Broken Virtues

Katuko

You do, actually. I just tested it with a Rahkshi of Gravity. 8 ELM and 10 MIND: Holding a Power Sword you get 10+10 and thus level 5, while dropping the sword puts you back at 18 total and thus level 4. After checking the tables, however, I've noticed that some of the powers have been mislabeled (the two stats they list are not correct). I'll fix this come next version.

Edited by Katuko

Team matches are on their way, I'm just figuring out how best to work with spawns and such. Plus, I have to add an option for making team attacks pass through other team members, because of some slight issues. On Ta-Koro right now, you may have noticed the issue, as when the Toa Mata spawn to attack, the first thing that usually happens is Kopaka freezing one of his teammates, Pohatu slamming a rock into one of them, or Tahu tripping everyone over with his mask power or a fireball. Usually all at once. And yeah, these guys are on the same team (and if no other characters are nearby they will just stand still) but right now attacks are not capable of distinguishing between teams. :P

maybe the iron absorb ability should act like a mask of corruption and the eminate ability should act like a mask of regeneration since I have no idea how the current eminate ability would work.

"I once thought that I was the only one who fantasized about Bionicle; that no one else could have that little of a life.

Then I went on BZPower.

biofighter_banner_platform.png

Just call me Taka or TNI

Absorption is set to be kind of like a Jutlin in that it breaks metal items in order to refill energy. I'm thinking that it would have little effect on actually breaking items, though. Emanate would cause metal to reshape itself, such as making dropped items turn into sharp metal spikes that jut out. Regenerating equipment also sounds like a decent idea, but again it would have to be weaker than the mask power so that Iron doesn't become too powerful.

Thanks for the support. :)I'll try to pop out a new version soon. Map work takes time, though, and with other stuff to do I haven't had time to complete Kini-Nui yet.

Edited by Katuko

I realize that the priority right now is to get the game fully functional, but how are you going to balance things out? Some weapons and powers are just plain better than others.Also, are you thinking about adding more species to play as? It would be brilliant to play as a Skakdi or Bohrok-Kal.

Edited by DoctorCouch

Well, one huge thing that is missing right now is "windup time" and also tweaking of damage values and the likes. Also, the knockback system is botched. Let's take the Fireball, for example. Now, this is one of the most useful attacks right now, for three reasons:1) It's one of the powers that suddenly comes out of nowhere.2) It has a blast radius and damage-over-time effect.3) It knocks the target down.Standing at roughly the right distance, you can therefore spam it into a character that gets hit, falls, and then stands back up again just in time for the next one to slam into their face. Given no other interference, a character can be "stun-locked" and killed easily by fireballs.Now, the power has already had its damage halved compared to the earlier versions, which reduces its killing potential somewhat. Still, it's obviously a bit overpowered when used on the ground against other grounded characters. Certain engine parts are missing from the system, however, and I think they will remedy some of the issues that are had with these powers, and put them more in line with the others.First, we have "windup". Elemental powers fire out of the blue, with the exception of the few that fade into view first (such as Stone Throw, Iron Storm and Black Lightning). If you take a look at the projectiles tied to melee weapons, though, you'll see that they have a brief animation before they hit/trigger; this serves to delay their effect for a few frames. Certain weapons (such as Magma Sword and Ice Blade) have their swing speed a bit slower than others in order to make up for their increased base damage. I plan on applying attack animation to elemental powers as well, forcing people to aim them slightly more carefully as well as limiting them a bit when it comes to run-and-gun attacks. I don't think using your element will force you to a stand-still like melee does, but I plan on making you run slower while shooting.Then there's the knockback effect. You have probably noticed that while getting hit in the back sends you flying, a hit from the front will only halt you and knock you down. The intention was originally that the speed you move at would determine how far you went. So if you were standing still when you got hit in the face, you would get tossed further backwards than if you were running into the attack. It's a bit bugged, however, and so getting hit in the face simply cancels your momentum completely. This is somewhat related to the bug where you can stop a Kakama-run instantly by letting go of the button, but if you jump or turn around first then it instead might cause you to run backwards at ludicrous speeds.So yeah, a lot of kinks to work out in the engine; behind the scenes. :)

• 2 weeks later...

This is the best Bionicle game ever! It's impossible for this game to die. I need dis game! Is there any way to donate or something?

Hello and welcome ^^
Bionicle fan and follower from Lublin in Poland. Theoretician, nerd and figure collector. The same goes for Transformers and MLP:FiM and more sophisticated works of science fiction fantasy.
I'd like to be your friend my friends :)
My facebook: https://www.facebook.com/butterscotch.pl.

Also, are you thinking about adding more species to play as? It would be brilliant to play as a Skakdi or Bohrok-Kal.
It's been discussed before, to the point where I should probably put it in the FAQ, but I'll just repeat myself: I really want to add more species, but given the amount of work on Toa and Rahkshi powers and the game in general, it's not likely to happen anytime soon, sorry.
Finally got the new version, my thoughts: There is still nothing that can beat my Heuani custom. Lazer Vision is pretty cool. The Mata were a nice touch.
The Mata were more of a "what the heck am I gonna do that is interesting?" situation, and boom, there they go. I'll need to refine the stuff I throw in.
This is the best Bionicle game ever! It's impossible for this game to die. I need dis game! Is there any way to donate or something?
Since the total cost of developing this game so far is zero, I'd say that no donations are required. All they would lead to are more breaks while I buy snacks for myself. :P Of course, some slight funds might be required to obtain quality sound effects/music, but since I'm ripping off LEGO with the concept already I might as well rip some free samples off sound websites as well. :DWhat I need to keep going is just some feedback from you guys now and then, and perhaps some help with graphics/sound effects/voice acting/etc. I'm always glad to hear that someone besides myself takes an interest in this game, and that makes me want to complete it.This week I'll be focusing on finishing Kini-Nui, so that I can pop out a new update. I can't even remember what I've done since the last update, but luckily I keep a change log to remind me. :lol: Edited by Katuko

What I need to keep going is just some feedback from you guys now and then, and perhaps some help with graphics/sound effects/voice acting/etc.
I'm always available, btw.I'm glad there's a new update coming soon, even if I can't play it on this old laptop I have.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

"What I need to keep going is just some feedback from you guys now and then, and perhaps some help with graphics/sound effects/voice acting/etc. "I've never tried Rayg, but I might be able to figure out some sprites. As for voice acting, I'd definitely be interested in that. As for sound effects, I am clueless.

Sprites I need right now and haven't made myself: Post link.Voice acting: I'll be getting back to this later, but if someone can do a convincing Exo-Toa voice base (I'm having a hard time doing both the base and the editing with my own voice) then I already have lines ready for the boss you all know. I'll be replacing its current text with actual sound, to be clear.Other graphics I need: I suck at making plants and forests and backgrounds. If anyone would be willing to help me with making backgrounds for the maps, that would be terrific. A prime example right now would be Kini-Nui: I'd like to have about three or four background layers; mountains and forest and perhaps some clouds. These woulds scroll independently of each other, making you feel the depth (parallax scrolling). Then Ta-Koro: Crater edge background, proper bubbling lava at the bottom. And anything you can think of for other maps.Some HUD graphics would also be nice. It'd be nice to have some form of a rather minimalistic HUD that looks slightly better than the current one.

Edited by Katuko

I can pile together some robotic voice clips and edit them.Edit: what do you want it to sound like: deep, low, or high?Second edit: I MADE A GUURAHK STAFF HEAD!!!!!!! http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/vinny1999/sprites/guurahk_staff_head.jpg

Edited by rahkshi guurahk

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

d1O9dXQ.png

(This banner is created by http://www.bzpower.com/board/user/59020-onaku/ )

Since you didn't seem to get here before the updated post: http://www.brickshel..._staff_head.jpgEdit: 199 posts on my birthday!

Edited by rahkshi guurahk

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

d1O9dXQ.png

Ah, that is a decent simplification of the staff, but I need it sprite-sized. I can't stick that image on the tip of the staff as-is, and downsizing it leaves me with the same as when I downsize the official set image: a jumbled mess. I'll need a finished sprite, I'm afraid.There are also two other things I must say about your file: 1) Before you upload an image, make sure to crop away the excessive space around it. This makes the file smaller and thus easier to upload/download and use later.2) Don't save images as JPG if you want to keep the quality. JPG features compression, which means that colors are averaged and information lost during saving. This works well for photos, where the file is then trimmed of excessive color information and the resulting grains are not spotted so easily, but for graphics such as sprites or HD images... it's disastrous. While your original image likely only had two colors - white and gray - it now has white, gray and a multitude of white/gray shades interspersed around the image, particularly at the edges.To illustrate the difference:Image 1, saved as PNG, all color info intact. Transparent background represented with pink, showing how the pure white cuts away.vortixx_compression1.pngImage 2, saved as JPG (then as PNG again for web). s you can see, the compression muddles the background so that it is no longer pure white, and makes it extremely hard to cut out the sprite.vortixx_compression2.pngImage 3, close-up comparison. When zoomed to 300%, we can clearly see the effect that the compression has had on the sprite to the right. Its colors are muddy and the edges no longer crisp, but blurred into the background. It is, quite frankly, useless.vortixx_compression3.pngRegarding the staff sprite, I have some WIP sprites that ended up becoming the Poison staff instead after I failed at making Disintegration look accurate enough. Feel free to build on them if you want.rahkshistaff_wip.png

By the way, why does some of the text from the fire exo-toa seem to be pointing to the fact that it's an order of Mata-Nui member?

-Rahkshi Guurahk

d1O9dXQ.png

I mean, will the game be a bit silly? Take TF2 for example.
Hm, yes. A bit. The Exo-Toa already spouts some 8relatively) humorous lines.
Honestly, I don't think this game needs voice acting. For one, voices can sound odd coming from 2D sprites, and we've had the game for so long without voice acting that it just seems like part of the game. (or... not part of the game?)
It's not gonna be "full" voice acting like TF2, most likely, just some typical noises and the occasional line after a kill streak or something. If I add as much as TF2 does then the game will become way too bloated just from all the sound files.
By the way, why does some of the text from the fire exo-toa seem to be pointing to the fact that it's an order of Mata-Nui member?
Which lines are you thinking of, in particular? It's been a while since I wrote them, and then I just tried to write the thing like some form of neutral character. I'm guessing the line is "Toa! Have you forgotten your duty?", but that refers more to the Toa's general purpose: to protect the Matoran, not wage war on one another. I suppose the bot could be of the Order's origin, but the Pyro version has been tampered with by Mutran according to my own little story. I got bits and pieces written to excuse the non-canon events that take place.I know you've already read this, but I might as well post these again:
First, a sort of story intro to this game, providing some commentary on what sort of place the Matoran Universe has become in this game. There's also some backstory for things already in-game and some things that are to come...
EDIT: Regarding things to come, here are some sprites I started working on, in the middle of other things.lightstone_rifle_wip.pnggun_pose_test.png Edited by Katuko

Woah! Those sprites look AWESOME!!!Perhaps they could be added as "long-ranged weapons"?
They are lightstone Rifles, and they look great katuko

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Yes, a certain one of them is definitely getting in sooner or later. The others I have will be basic ranged weapons, likely added along with the basic melee weapons I'll get in sooner or later. Possibly I'll have to wait until I've actually added an animation for the projectile weapons beyond "I'mma stab u with my lazor!!!".bionicleraygguns.pngplasmagun_strip16.png...I must take care not to have this turn into a pure shooter. :lol:

Edited by Katuko

The lightstone rifle!? That would be extremely effective against rahkshi. Once you've shot, though, you have a five minute wait on your hands......In which time I would manage to get killed several times.In other words, an effective weapon against half of your opponents. We need an equivalent anti-Toa weapon to balance. Shadow leech launcher anyone?

What could possibly make you think I would actually work any differently between Toa and Rahkshi and also have it use a 5-minute recharge time? :) The effects of the Midak Skyblaster and the Light element already stays the same regardless of who uses it or who is the target.But yes, some form of shadow-powered weapon might be needed, if only for the aesthetic purposes. You'll eventually be able to charge any generic (has no special power) weapon with your own element, though.

Edited by Katuko

The lightstone rifle!? That would be extremely effective against rahkshi. Once you've shot, though, you have a five minute wait on your hands......In which time I would manage to get killed several times.In other words, an effective weapon against half of your opponents. We need an equivalent anti-Toa weapon to balance. Shadow leech launcher anyone?
Actually, you get 4 shots per clip (Assuming they are pre-charged) then you would just put on another clip of munitions that could be found in the map. Maybe you could start out with a few clips and gain more by random drops and killing enemies.Shadow leech grenade, anyone?

You get 5 shots, actually, if you have a full reserve magazine. One in the barrel and 4 in the clip. :) Still, in-game the limits on firing speed and ammo will be balanced as I see fit, not necessarily after canon. The Midak Blaster supposedly has 4 shots with a (still pretty fast) recharge time, but here it shoots repeatedly with no limit... for now.lightstone_rifle_magazine.pngI made a lightstone magazine for my sprite. I think I might make two versions of this weapon. One with the magazine that actually launches the lightstone, functioning like a rocket of sorts that explodes into a light burst. Good damage and some knockback, weak blinding effect, low ammo count.The other would be more akin to the creator's description, where the lightstone is struck and what exits the barrel is a beam of light and electricity. This one would have less damage but better blind/stun effect, no knockback, and recharge its shot over time.I guess I could add a Tridax pod as a thrown weapon at some point. Releases three leeches that leap towards the target for a slow/energy drain effect. Or something.

Edited by Katuko