Sid Meier's Civilization

Kothra

This is a topic for the Sid Meier's Civilization 4X turn-based strategy video game series.I really enjoy Civilization V, even if it isn't quite as in-depth as IV was. I'm currently psyched or the exapnsion coming in June, Gods and Kings, which is re-adding some of the features Civ IV had (though they actually function pretty differently). And many of the new civs seem pretty interesting (mainly looking forward to Ethiopia, Carthage, and Sweden).If you want to play Civ V together, add me on Steam (kothrastreamdiver).

Edited by Kothra: Sweetroll Thief
misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

Ethiopia is a lot tougher than I first thought: it came down to my French (Napoleon is a personal favorite of mine) and Ethiopia as the two world superpowers, and we ended up collecting vassals until we both owned half the world.Good times.-Teezy

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

Is this in Civ IV (or possibly III)? I don't remember if Ethiopia was in IV, and I haven't played III. I know it's not V because Ethiopia isn't in t (yet), and you can't really have vassal states (allied city-states don't count).

misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

When I played Civ IV I wandered between Civs while I was learning how to play (I never fully got the hang of it until just before V's release), but I eventually settled on Rome, mostly because Augustus looked like a boss. Now in V I almost always play Rome, while occasionally playing as England or Denmark.

misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

:kaukau: I had CIV IV IV a while (see what I did there?), but then I tried downloading an update and it screwed the whole thing. I feel pretty bad about that. Now it doesn't work on my labtop at all. Maybe someday I'll get CIV V, since it looks epic, but due to things going on in life and my other pursuits I can predict other hobbies that will put me off on that until I've finished all my education.My choir, by the way, sang "Baba Yetu" once. Coincidentally, the performance date fell on Halloween. It was a strange time to be singing songs about how wonderful and bright the world is. Anyway, I sang baritone, meaning I didn't get to sing a lot of...words.Your Honor,Tyrannosaurus Kraggh

Is this in Civ IV (or possibly III)? I don't remember if Ethiopia was in IV, and I haven't played III. I know it's not V because Ethiopia isn't in t (yet), and you can't really have vassal states (allied city-states don't count).

IV. Napoleon wasn't in III.-Teezy

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

Rome wins all. Especially in 18 Civs. I can conquer Europe by the time the ADs roll around and have a chunk of Russia to boot.-Teezy

:kaukau: Yeah, that's why I pretty much always play as them when I'm aiming for a serious win, because they're the only ones to get special units that truly give you an advantage, and it's early on in the game to boot. So basically, once I can create Praetorians, I devote almost all my resources to making them and gaining some fast claims from neighboring civilizations.Except for some reason they always have ten times my number in archers.Your Honor,Tyrannosaurus Kraggh

I got Civ 5 as part of the Steam Christmas Sale last year, and I was addicted to it for about 3 months. I racked up about 50 hours, which is roughly double my playtime for the rest of my Steam library COMBINED. :PI've won games as Germany, Japan and the Aztecs. Even when I'm trying to be peaceful, I usually end up wiping out one or two enemy civilizations. With Montezuma you get culture for enemy units, so I actually used him to get a culture victory by slaughtering everybody in my way xDI haven't played in a month or two, but that expansion pack looks really enticing, and I'll probably end up getting back into the game when it comes out. Excited to take a peer into the AI's thoughts with my spies :P

Generation reeeeeeeeeeeee: If you see this, don't copy it into your signature. Get off your computer. Go outside! Go for a walk! Appreciate the beauty of the world while you're young and energetic and full of unwarranted enthusiasm. 

I loved IV but I don't think I've played it for over a year now. I should probably get back to it sometime, as it's great, especially with Beyond The Sword.Other than that, I had II on the PS1 when I was a kid. Don't think I ever understood it but somehow still managed to have fun.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

You just reminded me of why I don't play Civ IV for nostalgia's sakeUnit stacking. :fear:

:kaukau: My cousins and I have a little divergence on that. They seemed to like it. I think it's okay, but when I found out about the new system in CIV V I was totally for it, because I agreed that it made the combat system more tactical and engaging. Plus, I liked that cities could defend themselves, which seems more appropriate.Your Honor,Tyrannosaurus Kraggh

Speaking of which, cities can defend themselves even better in Gods & Kings. They changed it so that you're nearly guaranteed to need a siege unit to take a city (though you usually do anyway, at least in the mid-game (Renaissance). And now in the expansion sea units aren't utterly useless when attacking cities, which I like.

misaka_76_banner_800.jpg