Movie Style Edits

Toa Turing

*inhales*Okay, I really should not laugh, but I'll admit that the "Pohatu Phantoka" made me LOL. And what's with "Onua Mata" having Takua's mask? This combination I also sadly found amusing."Gali Mata" was actually well done and tasteful IMO, but the others I found that the sweeping contours of the Toa Mata's mask clashed somewhat with the boxy style of the Toa Metru's movie style. Tahu and Pohatu Mata were well-colored; I felt that the color edits you placed on them helped, especially in Tahu's case. Onepu was okay, but I don't think he wears Takua's mask...Anyway, you've done a good job here, and sorry for laughing.

Pohatu Phantoka: Yeah, he isn't great, but It's the best I could do considering his mask doesn't exist in movie form. As for Takua's mask, He wears the Pakari, same as Onepu and Onua, so it made sense to use it. I used Matoran masks for all the others, so I don't see how these are any different. I see what you mean when you say the bodies clash with the heads in some places, but I couldn't think of an alternative. Perhaps I'll try to edit the Nuva body.Thanks for the insight!

I really need a better signature.

I don't get what was funny, they seem promising to me. The biggest thing here, since obviously the bulk of work is spent attaching a different head and coloring, is proportions. The biggest thing to make sure you're lining up the neck and the body, not just the head. If the neck does not seem to attach to the head properly our eyes immediately jump to the part that seems off. This takes a bit of imagination as most of the masks you used do not have an immediate clear spot where the neck goes if you aren't used to thinking that way, so you have to imagine it for yourself and judge where it would properly be located on the character's anatomy. Also, with the exception of Tahu and possibly Gali, the heads are quite undersized. You have to find the perfect medium between staying true to the original Toa (who had huge masks compared to the rest of their body) and the movies, so I understand. It can be very difficult. You might want to match the colors (mostly noticeable on Lewa and Kopaka) a bit better, Kopaka's though I can see being pretty hard if you don't know exactly what to do, so I don't mind that nearly as much. Just curious, what did you use to make these? I think if you softened the edge pixels and got rid of the residue around the masks they would look a lot cleaner. One last thing- I found your Pohatu (orange one) to be the best of the bunch, as you made a unique take on it with an ingenious solution. The mask of time works pretty well, and the choice of Onewa's body was a good one. The torso's colors could have been changed, but otherwise it's pretty good.

Interesting! I always wanted to sere those characters that way. Pohatu Mata and Onepu are especially well done, and Pohatu Phantoka made me lol, I always thought of him that way. :lol:

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

Thanks for the advice, Empire. I used Paint.net. It's free to download. Just google Paint.net and you should find it pretty easily. It's like GIMP. It doesn't have quite as many features, but is a lot more reliable and easier to use.

These are... pretty disappointing for me. In most cases, editing a Matoran mask from the movies onto a Toa body doesn't create a very convincing Toa. The masks in the BIONICLE movies all had some degree of personality, which usually was specific to a character or group of characters. Just look how different the Matoran who wear Kanohi Huna look from Turaga Vakama. Even though it's the same mask, the Matoran versions are childlike and rounded while Turaga Vakama's is more stretched-out and angular.That problem presents itself in these edits. Pohatu, Gali, and Phantoka Pohatu look the most tolerable, although Phantoka Pohatu's mask isn't the most convincing. Lewa and Onua look absoulutely preposterous, though, especially since their masks are badly out-of-proportion, and Tahu's mask doesn't at all fit his gruff personality (Lhikan's Hau would have perhaps suited him better). Kopaka's mask also doesn't mesh very well with the body due to the lighting, the somewhat uneven cropping (understandable, since most of Kopaka's best scenes were against a white or light-colored backdrop), and again the size. Onepu looks decent, partly because the mask is pre-fitted to the character, but personality-wise he's a bit iffy.Now I don't want to comment here just to point out the things I dislike. Here are some things I think you did well. The recoloring of the Toa Metru parts to have the Toa Mata color schemes is done quite well (having better Toa Metru pictures to work with surely helped), and the choice to use Toa Metru as a base was a very good one considering the framework-like style they share with the Toa Mata.I know from experience that trying to edit pictures of this sort convincingly is hard, and these days I'd hardly even consider trying, since such an endeavor would usually offer lackluster results. You clearly put forth a valiant effort, and experience will help you to improve on some of the areas where the editing is somewhat sloppy, like where parts are cropped badly or sized incorrectly. However, even with experience, this type of editing will always present some unavoidable obstacles since your source material is inherently limited. It's up to you whether you want to continue to refine this photo-editing skill or perhaps turn to different media like drawing or painting where you have more freedom available to you.

I know from experience that trying to edit pictures of this sort convincingly is hard, and these days I'd hardly even consider trying, since such an endeavor would usually offer lackluster results. You clearly put forth a valiant effort, and experience will help you to improve on some of the areas where the editing is somewhat sloppy, like where parts are cropped badly or sized incorrectly. However, even with experience, this type of editing will always present some unavoidable obstacles since your source material is inherently limited. It's up to you whether you want to continue to refine this photo-editing skill or perhaps turn to different media like drawing or painting where you have more freedom available to you.
There is a lot of freedom to be had with editing. Some people may be too shortsighted to see it, but there is much more application that can be explored and discovered. He's already forming skills of construction and uniformity. It's a lot like a collage at this point, and it's promising.There are still things yet to be developed and nurtured skill-wise, but I would severely frown upon someone trying to discourage another artist's direction. If he wants to "find out the hard way" in your eyes, let him. If he wants to organically grow in a different yet influenced direction: let him. Everything can still be practice, and you can dab or immerse your feet in as much and as many different pools and still be able to grow.> Toa of Geek, I don't need an advertisement for Pnet, but I'll keep it in mind for suggestions and ease of workflow at the very least- I did do a bit of searching, and there is a user-created plugin pack by BoltBait (which among other things, includes feathering and transparency) which you might be interested in. I honestly have experience with paint.net as I don't use Windows, but it looks like it might offer some new tools to use at your disposal if you don't already have it installed.

@Empire: Wow, I got the boltbait pack, and it looks like the features will be very helpful. Thanks!@Aanchir: I actually am working on my drawing skills, and plan to post something on BZPower sometime, but I will difinitely continue editing. Thanks for the advice though.