Worst Cartoons You've Seen (TV, Film, etc.)

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.Show sucks.

You didn't think it represented your life very well, Rarity? :P

Anyway, time for me to voice a rather unpopular opinion: I absolutely hated Legend of Korra.

Mako and Bolin are just less interesting versions of Zuko and Sokka, respectively, Korra is devoid of any personality whatsoever and faces no meaningful internal conflict, the romance is horribly clunky and doesn't feel like it belongs in the story, and the arc with Amon ended completely unsatisfactorily. Worst of all, the "bad guys" are non-benders who insist that they are oppressed, and, given the number of commoners who seem to agree with them, are probably... not wrong. If they are wrong, nobody ever says so. Meanwhile, our heroes are a team of unusually powerful benders who put down the revolutionaries. This sends the disturbingly reactionary (though completely accidental, I'm sure) message that people with great power are justified in using it to control others. I also thought that the series tried to be "edgier" than ATLA by having more apparent risks and portraying societal conflict, but in the end, it ended up being far more simplistically good and evil than the original.

Of course, ya can't blame Bryke that much when they only had 12 episodes to work in as opposed to 60. But I think they kind of used up all their juice on ATLA (which is possibly the greatest television show of all time, in my opinion).

By the way, I quite like Adventure Time. I can understand it if people don't, though, as a lot of the appeal depends on the audience liking lots of random weirdness.

Edited by Toa Alaka

Weaver, Seeker, and Spark

"When the first living thing existed, I was there, waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave."

- Death, The Sandman

(Previously Toa Alaka)

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.Show sucks.

You didn't think it represented your life very well, Rarity? :P Anyway, time for me to voice a rather unpopular opinion: I absolutely hated Legend of Korra. Mako and Bolin are just less interesting versions of Zuko and Sokka, respectively, Korra is devoid of any personality whatsoever and faces no meaningful internal conflict, the romance is horribly clunky and doesn't feel like it belongs in the story, and the arc with Amon ended completely unsatisfactorily. Worst of all, the "bad guys" are non-benders who insist that they are oppressed, and, given the number of commoners who seem to agree with them, are probably... not wrong. If they are wrong, nobody ever says so. Meanwhile, our heroes are a team of unusually powerful benders who put down the revolutionaries. This sends the disturbingly reactionary (though completely accidental, I'm sure) message that people with great power are justified in using it to control others. I also thought that the series tried to be "edgier" than ATLA by having more apparent risks and portraying societal conflict, but in the end, it ended up being far more simplistically good and evil than the original. Of course, ya can't blame Bryke that much when they only had 12 episodes to work in as opposed to 60. But I think they kind of used up all their juice on ATLA (which is possibly the greatest television show of all time, in my opinion). By the way, I quite like Adventure Time. I can understand it if people don't, though, as a lot of the appeal depends on the audience liking lots of random weirdness.

I think you may be oversimplifying things a wee bit. While Bolin is a comic relief character much like Sokka, his personality is very different. Bolin is characterized by his naive, cheerful attitude, while Sokka was usually a sour-faced cynic. Likewise, Mako isn't much like Zuko at all besides having a tragic backstory and being a firebender. If anything, he strikes me as a bit like a male version of Katara in that he plays the parent/guardian role for Bolin a lot of the time, though that's also an oversimplification. Meanwhile, Korra's internal conflicts were incredibly obvious to me: she was so sheltered during her training that she gained the expectation that she could overcome any obstacle by relying on the strength of her attitude and her abilities. As such, she was unprepared with the emotional burdens of the real world, whether those come in the form of romance or having a whole city of people counting on her to be their savior. And you see her break down because of these problems multiple times. In short, she's not used to feeling helpless and struggles with the idea that she's not meeting the expectations of an Avatar if she can't keep her emotions in check.As for the conflict, I wouldn't say it's nearly as black-and-white as you're presenting it to be. Tarrlok is the obvious counterexample to the idea that it's just about those with power being entitled to control those without it-- if anything, it validates the claims of the Equalists that benders use their powers to oppress non-benders by showing a bender in a position of authority who is not at all afraid to do so for personal gain. Another obvious counterexample is Asami, a non-bender who puts forth just as much effort to stop the revolution that her father is financing as any of her bending teammates.Sorry for the tangent. As far as bad cartoons are concerned, I can't really think of many examples myself. Most cartoons I've seen have at least some redeeming value, even if they're not my cup of tea. And most also have their ups and downs-- I can think of several downright embarrassing episodes of Spongebob Squarepants but that doesn't stop me from laughing from time to time when I remember other episodes that were the highlights of the series. If a cartoon doesn't interest me, that might just mean I've seen the "downs" and not the "ups". Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

Of course, ya can't blame Bryke that much when they only had 12 episodes to work in as opposed to 60. But I think they kind of used up all their juice on ATLA (which is possibly the greatest television show of all time, in my opinion).

There's also the fact Korra was bloated into a 50 episode order from the original 13 episode mini-series.

I haven't seen the show (and don't plan to until the first 26 episodes are out), but honestly? I wouldn't be shocked if a lot of the problems I've heard (mainly the love triangle) were all offshoots of the expansion requiring a mass amount of padding and replotting to fit the allotted episode count.

Frankly, that might be where most of your criticisms come from- the show was never meant to be this long.

hElbrZ6.gif

There's also the fact Korra was bloated into a 50 episode order from the original 13 episode mini-series.

I haven't seen the show (and don't plan to until the first 26 episodes are out), but honestly? I wouldn't be shocked if a lot of the problems I've heard (mainly the love triangle) were all offshoots of the expansion requiring a mass amount of padding and replotting to fit the allotted episode count.

Frankly, that might be where most of your criticisms come from- the show was never meant to be this long.

Let's not go tossing blame at the expansion of Korra. The addition of extra seasons wouldn't have affected the currently released season at all, given how late that decision was made. I personally love Korra, and am eager to see what the next seasons have to offer, but you can't blame someone's dislike of what has already happened in the show on things that haven't happened yet.Also, you shouldn't set such an arbitrary limit on when you get around to watching Korra. The first twelve episodes are the first season, despite the odd length, and it seems like the story in the next fourteen episode season will be somewhat independent of them. There's really no reason to wait until Book 2 is out to find out whether Book 1 is all that it's cracked up to be.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

The first season was confirmed to be expanded into 26 episodes before being cut into the first two books (making it a normal season's order for Nick)- so it's entirely possible that it did get expanded into a longer format at least on some level. Definitely not as much as I would have thought, though.

And yeah, it's true that the show was likely going end up with the flaws it did anyway, internal politics or not. My bad on that.

I'll probably end up watching Korra when Nick inevitably starts running marathons upon marathons to count down to the second book/season/whatever they consider it. Or when DVDs/Netflix show up, either works.

hElbrZ6.gif

The work Man of Action did for The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. You could give a monkey a typewriter and get better results.

I also can't stand most of Spongebob Squarepants post-Season 3. And most of Cartoon Network's shows are garbage.

I stopped watching consistently partway through season 4, but I know that while there are a lot of stinkers there are also a few gems. Season 4's Krusty Towers, for instance, is definitely up there with Shanghaied in my book.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother