Questions/Theories about EP

What if it gained sentience before the Shattering but wasn't active?

Hiding intelligens would recuire too much intelligens for a semi-intelligent being.Woa what a sentence was that :)

And what a quote was that. :PThat's true, but animals can play dead, and they are not intelligent. Who;s to say the EP didn't do the same?
But even if an animal is playing dead, you're not going to be fooled once you take a closer look. The GBs certainly delved deeper than that in their research. However, since it's more of a material than an actual being, I suppose it could've made itself inert or something upon instinct...? Or maybe the reason that the GBs couldn't have figured out its sentience early on has to do with the physics of protodermis which we still don't know for sure. (I'm sure bonesiii will have something to say about that.)
Well what if it can't feel different parts of its "body" when separated?

That's an interesting theory... You mean like, if it's not touching the main pool of EP, he can't control it?

Kind of like that, like for example if your finger gets detached you can't feel what's happening to it(phantom pain doesn't count because I doubt they have that in the Bionicle universe) or control it. Some animals, like a lizard, can detach the tail and the tail will sort of move for a while but it will stop. And even if the tail's still moving the lizard can't feel what's happening to it, like it's being attacked by a predator.