Bionicle Steam Engine

This is one of my older creations - it appeared at both BrickMagic 2010 and BrickFair VA 2010, as well as at some smaller shows in North Carolina. I don't believe it's appeared on any Bionicle-centric sites yet. Basic concept: the large red panels introduced in Bionicle (later seen in Technic) looked like a good start to a steam boiler for a train. I paired that up with some Emerald Night wheels, and rounded out most of the details with Technic and Bionicle parts.

Flickr photo set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dp3/sets/72157624353134893/

I haven't tried it with a motor yet, but the gearing is already in there and I believe it will fit a motor. I'm thinking it could be fun to build a Bionicle-based town/train layout around this sometime.

I always thought those Axalara parts could be a train as well, and tried it myself to a certain extent (I don't have any proper train parts). The problem with the Axalara panels is that they fit on really simply, but don't look that round, unless you angle them in a more complex way like in the Axalara set. Orienting them in different way helps to give more of a circular illusion, and that's worked well here. I also like that it is a Bionicle train. When I make vehicles like this, I tend to just work purely with technic parts, but I can see Bohrok bits and Toa arms at the back, and it works really well. I'd be interested to see it with a motor. Will that be a train motor, or a power functions motor or something?

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

• 1 month later...

The motor I planned for is the large Power Functions motor, although if I build some rolling stock to go with it, I may try sticking a 9V motor onto one of those cars instead.

I'd like to see it with a Bionicle-based town layout to match, but I'm not sure if/when I'll be able to make that happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see this on BZP! I really like it. The framework is very nice, and the PU is excellent. My only problem is a lot of technic connectors sticking out. The red pins sticking out of the panels I'm pretty sure could be switched out with 2-length pins. It wouldn't totally smooth out the boiler, but it would look better than the protrusions it has currently. There's also an axle here or there than could be shortened a bit, although I don't know how feasible that is, and whether you could change that without altering the framework.

42687538174_213a004f2f.jpg

The red pins sticking out of the panels I'm pretty sure could be switched out with 2-length pins.

I don't believe there was any structural reason for building it that way. I thought they looked like fairly realistic bolts, and didn't pursue it further, looking again, I think making it smoother might be a good idea. I don't think I can get any other pins in red, though...

There's also an axle here or there than could be shortened a bit, although I don't know how feasible that is, and whether you could change that without altering the framework.

Most of the awkward ones are axle-pins that I don't think I can replace. There are a few others that I've looked into fixing before where the math checks out, but I wasn't able to get the spacing perfect.I'm currently making the rounds with this MOC again - yesterday it was on display at the Tampa Train Show in Tampa, Florida, and in a few weeks it will be in Chicago for BrickWorld.

The motor I planned for is the large Power Functions motor, although if I build some rolling stock to go with it, I may try sticking a 9V motor onto one of those cars instead.

I'd like to see it with a Bionicle-based town layout to match, but I'm not sure if/when I'll be able to make that happen.

G'day mate, please don't post in topics that've been inactive for more than twenty days. Cheerio!

tumblr_mqdlmepiG01rf11n3o1_500.png