Krakua's Fortress

Something's been nagging me for several months. In Time Trap (which I unfortunately do not possess due to budgetary reasons - if any kind forumer wants to type up the relevant text from it that'd be most appreciated), then-Toa Vakama experiences a vision. According to the Bionicle Wiki:

At some point in the future, [Krakua] will defend an unknown fortress. Krakua will then be able to communicate across time with Toa Metru Vakama, who was having a vision of the future. Krakua will tell Vakama that if he failed his mission, Krakua would never exist and that, to succeed, Vakama would have to be willing to destroy the future to stop evil from spreading. He also told him that Vakama would one day have to send a group of heroes into danger and not be able to do anything about it. It is known he was referring to Vakama indirectly, causing Jaller, Kongu, Hahli, Matoro, Hewkii, and Nuparu to become the Toa Inika.

And BS01 has this to say on the scene:

Krakua will eventually become the lone hero of a besieged island fortress. During this time, a vision of Krakua will be given to Vakama through a "Kratana", who receives it during his time as a Toa Metru. Krakua will inform him that he would one day send the Toa Inika on a mission, which he cannot do anything about save for waiting and hoping. Vakama does not receive the remainder of the vision, as the "Kratana" is removed by Makuta Teridax.

So the obvious questions are: what is this fortress, when does this take place, and from whom is he defending it from? (Also: why is he the lone defender? what's happened to the several dozen Toa and ex-Order agents on Spherus Magna?)

When I asked this question to several other fans some months ago, they replied along the lines of "I assumed it was Metru Nui during the events of Destiny War." But there are several problems with this theory:

1. Krakua did not defend Metru Nui alone. Far from it; in fact, this was probably the largest battle in the entire history of the Matoran Universe.
  2. Krakua's personality in Destiny War is...frankly, a little pathetic. He seems to be a recently transformed Toa who is still trying to get used to his powers. Hardly the ideal candidate to defend a fortress by himself and send an absolutely vital message across time to Vakama.
  3. Perhaps most condemning of all, the two most prominent BIONICLE wikis make it clear that these events have not yet taken place, as of The Powers That Be / The Yesterday Quest. This could be the fault of the editors making unverifiable assumptions from circumstantial evidence, but I'm inclined to trust their word on this one.

So, my questions from earlier are: what is this fortress, when does this take place, and from whom is he defending it from? My theory is that...*drumroll*...he is defending the Gold-Skinned Being's Aqua Magna fortress. BZPower says on Krakua's fortress:

Not much is known about this island. Krakua will one day protect it. The entire island has been converted into a single fortress.

And then on the Gold-Skinned Being's fortress from Bionicle Wiki:

The Gold Being's Fortress was a huge fort created by the Gold Skinned Being on Spherus Magna. It was made on a cliff near a beach on the new planet after a discussion with some Skakdi. The castle had stone walls, and the towers were completely armed. According to Kopaka, the fort could possibly fit Metru Nui and still have leftover space.

If this fortress is located on Aqua Magna, it is certainly an island. Perhaps more importantly, it's the only known fortress on Spherus Magna.
That still leaves unanswered the questions "when, who, and why". I'm writing a fanfic at the moment that'll show off my own personal ideas on the subject - on this one, your guess is as good as mine, because we have honestly no idea who the main enemies will be (would have been, I guess) on Spherus Magna.
An alternative theory is that he was defending a newly constructed New Atero. But this doesn't seem likely, as why would New Atero be situated on an island? And where would the Agori and Matoran be?
Anyway, that was extremely long, so I won't take up any more of your time. What are your thoughts? Is he going to defend the Gold Skinned Being's fortress? Why would he do that? And as an extra teaser, just for fun - what turned him into an awesome-warrior-from-the-future?
Edited by bonesiii

Legacy of the Great Beings - Continuing the story of BIONICLE from where the serials left off.

(I'm fairly certain we can't mention the Bio Wiki. BS01 is a better source anyways.)

While I agree that it wasn't Metru Nui in Destiny War, I don't think it was the Golden Skakdi Fusion's fortress. There isn't much evidence to support the theory, right? It's not the only fortress on the planet, and not even the only one we've seen in the story- the Lifer was in a fortress as well, if I remember correctly. In my opinion it'd be more likely for him to defend that one than the GSF's base. (Although, I guess I could see some scenario where the GSF fortress is abandoned, leaving behind the Inika, who are at that point no longer entranced but still unable to fight for some reason, so Krakua goes to rescue them and gets sieged by Skakdi...? Kind of a stretch.)

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

I thought the Golden Being's Fortress was on a peninsula, not an island. I vaguely recall this being addressed earlier though.Edit: Here it is. I didn't check to make sure that fortress wasn't an island in there, although bones brings this up:

It's plausible, maybe more so than my above ideas. The fact that the Golden being's in charge there is irrelevant as in future story that would likely change. And in a universe with elemental powers, someone like Onua could remove part of the peninsula, turning it into an island. And the Order, Krakua alone, or some new organization he belongs to could repurpose it, and he would guard it.Could happen.

A bit of a stretch, however.

Fortunately, the new plant life created by Mata Nui provided a lot better cover than a desert ever could have. Kopaka trailed the Skakdi and their mysterious allies for miles. When they came to the shores of the ocean, the troop came to a halt. The Skakdi could be seen talking and gesturing to the golden-skinned creature.The creature nodded once and turned to look at the cliffs beyond the beach. Before Kopakas startled eyes, a massive castle took shape atop the highest of the rock formations. The walls were made of stone and the towers bristled with weaponry. All of Metru Nui could probably have fit inside it, with room to spare.

I think "beyond the beach" refers to the Skakdi's perspective of standing on the beach when this happens.

You will hear from me again, you know, the golden being said. I will not be content to stay on this spit of land forever.Let me know when you and your army are coming, I answered. Maybe Ill join up.I could have had him make me a boat, but I decided to walk. Annona was as good as dead and there was a lot going on in Bara Magna worth seeing these days. Not that I would really walk on to be a part of it. Metus either, wherever he had run off to.

"Spit of land" seems to refer to a peninsula, and if it was an island, how could Sahmad walk? Edited by fishers64

I think "beyond the beach" refers to the Skakdi's perspective of standing on the beach when this happens.

It's possible that they waded through water before reaching the location of the fortress, thus making it an island. Of course, that's purely speculation. It's just that this seems to be the only fortress around.

"Spit of land" seems to refer to a peninsula, and if it was an island, how could Sahmad walk?
Again, wading is possible. I guess I assumed it was an island because it's on Aqua Magna - it could very well be connected to the mainland Spherus Magna though. There's the possibility as previously mentioned that Onua or some other Earth Toa removed part of the land, but that seems like quite a stretch.

It's not the only fortress on the planet, and not even the only one we've seen in the story- the Lifer was in a fortress as well, if I remember correctly. In my opinion it'd be more likely for him to defend that one than the GSF's base.

The Lifer's fortress? What story was this in?

Legacy of the Great Beings - Continuing the story of BIONICLE from where the serials left off.

I think the Gold Skinned Being's fortress is the one in Vakama's vision. That fortress was probably intended to be the site of Krakua's battle in the next chapters of the serials. Why he would be defending alone it is unknown to me, but it just seems to make sense. That was a bit of a loose end in Time Trap that could have been explored further to make an interesting story.

Bliss.png

It's just that this seems to be the only fortress around.

Or at least the only known potential island fortress. :P There's been tons of fortresses. Really, there's no reason to assume there aren't other island fortresses out there or won't someday be that Krakua might defend. It can't be that hard to make a new one, since we've seen countless island fortresses in the MU and continental SM before.

The Powers That Be, at least (might have been mentioned previously too). But Velika was about to destroy it, and it isn't on an island, so yeah. (Of course, we don't know if it actually gets destroyed.)

Let's note -- I assume that it's obvious to us all and we're just leaving it unspoken... but maybe not -- that the Krakua thing could possibly be a tease for what could now be used for a Bionicle return -- some future enemy could be rampaging the planet and he's the lone defender of some remote Order stockpile fortress... or some such thing. Of course, the enemy could also be familiar -- maybe TSO's new organization.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

It's just that this seems to be the only fortress around.

Or at least the only known potential island fortress. :P There's been tons of fortresses. Really, there's no reason to assume there aren't other island fortresses out there or won't someday be that Krakua might defend. It can't be that hard to make a new one, since we've seen countless island fortresses in the MU and continental SM before.

The Powers That Be, at least (might have been mentioned previously too). But Velika was about to destroy it, and it isn't on an island, so yeah. (Of course, we don't know if it actually gets destroyed.)

Let's note -- I assume that it's obvious to us all and we're just leaving it unspoken... but maybe not -- that the Krakua thing could possibly be a tease for what could now be used for a Bionicle return -- some future enemy could be rampaging the planet and he's the lone defender of some remote Order stockpile fortress... or some such thing. Of course, the enemy could also be familiar -- maybe TSO's new organization.

I like that idea! :D That little look into the future always highly intrigued me...

Bliss.png

• 3 weeks later...