RPG: FTL

Alex Humva

IC:

"I don't actually know what that is, ma'am," Daniels began as he took a step out of the room, moving at an easy pace. Once he was out of sight of the engineering room he let out a quiet sigh, tiredness once again visible on his face. "A beignet, I mean. But Walker might. Maybe I'll find out."

"Either way, if it gives me an excuse to be in the same room as a coffee machine, I'm all for it."

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

IC: Ashley

You make it sound like being cheerful is a bad thing! D:

Ashley's attention was drawn to the blue Zoltan, she'd never seen one of that color before...then again she hadn't really met any Zoltan in person before either. Regardless she was intrigued, her tail wagged a bit as she watched her.

"Hello! I'm Ashley!"

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

IC: Andromeda

The cat girl addressed her. It was expected, since Rommie had some... features that draws attention. Anyway, a small idle talk might help.

She looked at Ashley and gave her a polite smile.

"Hello, Ashley," she replied. "My name is Andromeda."

IC: Nicole turned in surprise to see another slug entering the medbay. The presence of one of these things seemed jarring enough to her after spending so much time in a hospital around humans. Two felt especially discomforting, and she could only imagine how many more were on board. Nicole shyly responded to the slug's request by motioning towards Ashley's bed across the room.

"She's over there," Nicole said. "One of your friends was saying we needed to get a bunch of slugs down here to help. They should be able to explain it to you."

IC:

"Can't have a beignet without a rich cup of coffee, Major. It's a crime against the Lord. Like working on the Sabbath." Chastain clapped him on the back and rolled her shoulders absently. "They're deep-fried pastries. Generally you fill them with meat or vegetables and make a sandwich sort of deal out of them, but pour some powdered sugar on them and pass them off as doughnuts, and the tourists go wild. Used to sell them out of the back of my sister's truck for money after I dropped out. Clueless."

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

IC:

"Can't have a beignet without a rich cup of coffee, Major. It's a crime against the Lord. Like working on the Sabbath." Chastain clapped him on the back and rolled her shoulders absently. "They're deep-fried pastries. Generally you fill them with meat or vegetables and make a sandwich sort of deal out of them, but pour some powdered sugar on them and pass them off as doughnuts, and the tourists go wild. Used to sell them out of the back of my sister's truck for money after I dropped out. Clueless."

-Tyler

OOC: I seem to have this weird problem in that every time I read the name Chastain I immediately think of the lead actress from Zero Dark Thirty, probably because she has the same last name.

IC: After giving the slug its directions Nicole turned back to the Vendarian. "I'll be right back," she said.

The next room over, Nicole found a closet full of scrubs and, as she hoped, there were a few boxes of surgery masks. She picked one out and ran back into the medbay, approaching the vendarian. She held out the mask.

"I know it doesn't cover as much," she said. "But if there is any dangerous bacteria in this air that should offer some protection."

OOC: The technology may be futuristic, but I figured it still made sense to take precautions to prevent infection. I was under the impression it was usually standard proceedure to have surgery take place in a separate room for that reason, plus a room where you have to prepare for surgery and clean up afterwards.

IC: Estelle

The Major sighed, running a hand through her pink rose colored hair. She still had some work to do... That would have to come before she headed back to her room.

You can do this, Estelle. Just a bit longer then you can let it out.

Zoltan woman frowned. She couldn't blush so she frowned. That compliment actually was absolutely harmless, and Ashley could not know, but it still was traumatizing when something or someone reminded her of her trauma. Irritation grew inside her

'She didn't know,' Andromeda repeated to herself again, 'don't show your anger. Do anything, but do not be rude.'

And so Andromeda looked away, on the random point in the space of a medbay.

'Thank you,' she replied. 'I never thought about it that way.'

Edited by The Mugbearer

Ashley, quite clueless to Andromeda's irritation, thought of more things to talk about. "So...you're stuck in the medbay too?" That was at least one thing they had in common, and Ashley knew that finding commonalities was a great way to make friends.

IC:

"So that's where your diplomacy came from." The Major commented dryly as he ascended to Deck Two, sparing barely a thought for the fact that under most traditional commanders, such a comment would have received a glare at least. Especially only two weeks into the service. Such thoughts didn't last long, he was far too tired to sustain them. "I'll radio Walker. Make an excuse to get her to the mess hall."

Flicking on the private comm line, he spoke as soon as the acknowledgement beep sounded. "Walker, you're needed in the mess hall." Catching a glance at Chastian's reaction, likely at the... Less than clever nature of the pretense, he responded only with a shrug.

Edited by Simon the Digger

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

"Did another food fight break out?" She asked into the comm as she began to make her way to the mess hall. If this was going to be an issue, she'd make sure that she kept her Rice Krispies in her room at all times. Couldn't waste those.

As she walked into the mess hall, she blushed as as only saw the lieutenant colonel and her fellow major. Had she done something wrong?

Yet, with this thought in mind, she saluted her superior. "Hello Lieutenant Colonel," when the superior officer acknowledge her salute she smiled at William. "Hello Major... What can I so for you both?"

IC:

"The Vendarian makes my dry sense of humor feel threatened, so I'm going to find the nearest pastry and binge my insecurities," Chastain briefed wryly. "I've bought the Major's heart and soul with the nebulous currency of coffee beans."

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

"I see... I still don't see why I was summoned.. Although if you want a pastry, I could certainly bake you something. That is, if Souper has forgiven me for Spot's latest kale raid from the kitchen.."

IC:

"Actually, you've been kidnapped. Just like me." Daniels deadpanned, the slightest traces of amusement dancing around the edges of his face. "Unlike me, you're awake enough to put up a struggle, and thus, were lured under pretense."

"Me, I'm too tired to struggle. Besides, if she wants to buy my soul she'll have to get in line; There's just an 'IOU' note there."

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC:

"Well, Daniels decided it would be best to invite you if we located any beignets. You can bake if you'd like - I'd like to say I can help, but..." Chastain shrugged sheepishly. "When I was seventeen I sold a beignet to a guy, and later that night they found it still wrapped in a napkin with the family food truck's logo on it. At a mugging. I never baked again. Left it to my sister."

"What, because of guilt?" Daniels looked perplexed.

"No. After investigating for a couple hours, the cops arrested the beignet for prompting the guy to attack a local. Said the taste drove him wild."

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

IC [The environment]

The light fizzled out over the trio's heads and the nearby computer-panel gave a few pitiful beeps before shutting down, whatever traces of sapience the computer had being promptly killed.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Estelle smiled a bit, silently walking to the kitchen. "Hmmm I can make Krapfen... They're similar." She said as she went to gather ingredients from the various kitchen drawers.

She quickly began to make the dough, mixing surprisingly quick in order to get the dough to the right texture.

IC: Souper Saladd, Ignorer of People Who Talk Like They Are Not There

Watching Estelle walk away to raid the slug's kitchen, they turned to Ashley, "Feeling alright? Is the person draining your attention currently causing you any problems, Ashley?" xhe said, trying to be a little careful. It wasn't like the slug chef could do anything with their imprecise powers, especially when the other slugs seemed distracted and forgetful as to why they were even here in the first place. Despite that, however, it could always be worse. Patting the shoulder of the catgirl carefully, xhe simply watched.

Edited by Zhangku

IC:

"..."

"I'm not even awake enough to comment on that." Daniels observed, shaking his head. He took a few steps towards the kitchen, just outside of which the coffee machine was perched, still shaking his head. "I'm going to get coffee, before I die of caffeine deprivation. Maybe it'll stave off 'the taste'."

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC:

The lights flickered weakly and sputtered out again.

"You know, if you keep saying that, the ship computer might be convinced we're all sadists and rise against us. Anyone here read Asimov? I do, but apparently the people who designed the computers didn't. Ask what the Three Laws are and it may as well be reading you your Miranda rights. We have no protection from an angry AI but ourselves."

-Tyler

Edited by LONG LIVE TYLER

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

IC:

"Of course I know the three laws, they're the only reason I haven't gone and hit a few people I can think of." The Major commented idly, pushing his mug against the machine and watching as it obligingly filled his mug. Glancing into the kitchen, his smirk widened a few notches. "Quick, Walker, run. The taste will get you too."

"Or the AI, if you go by Chastain's paranoia. Me, I think I'll pick the computer. I'll just talk it down."

fK5oqYf.jpg

As the two others spoke, Estelle concentrated on making her Krapfen. As soon as she had them in the basic shape, she smiled. The baker down the street had taught her to make them when she was just a little thing and it was the first thing she ever learned to bake from the woman. Who knew baking was such a fantastic outlet for a teased pink haired girl?

"What filling would you all like? I can make a cream or jelly."

IC:

"Such decisions are above my paygrade." William quipped, settling into a seat, and taking a sip from his mug. He watched through the kitchen door, though he was, for a few minutes, distracted flickering lights. He'd have to see about getting an engineer to look at them... Not Devas, he'd exhausted the Vendarian's supply of goodwill for the day, he suspected. Maybe the new Engi crewmember... Geist, that was his name.

"Nevertheless, I'd vote cream."

fK5oqYf.jpg

"If you want cream, I'd recommend having a more bitter coffee. The sweet and bitter taste will go well together." She said as she began pulling out whipping cream.

"I can get some Turkish coffee for you both if you'd like."

. "So...you're stuck in the medbay too?"

"Yes," Andromeda slightly nodded and looked at the Slug that was asking Ashley if she, Andromeda, has bothered her. "since I've been rescued along with the slaves, I have nowhere to go, so I prefer to stay here."

IC:

"I'd like to drown the Major here in a vat of his precious coffee for taking the name of the taste in vain, but I suppose we can't exactly casually execute you while Can Skinter's still alive, so yes, Major, thank you. Turkish coffee for me in the meantime."

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

Ashley gave Souper a weak smile. "Yeah...I'm fine...maybe a little tired..." She admitted. "And nope, no problems!" She listened to Andromeda lament how she was stuck in the medbay. Well, at least she had company!

"We...should play a game!"

IC: Souper Saladd, Game Player

A bit confused by the cat human's sudden urge to play some sort of game, the slug shrugged, not really giving much of a care about that sort of thing. Who cared if they played a game? Honestly, to them life was a prolonged opera of terrible things and occasionally something pleasant. Xhe nodded, "Sure human, tell me exactly what you want to play. It better not be 'Salt the Slug', alright?" xhe assured them, knowing that they wouldn't say that anyway.

IC (Ameli)

“Better than nothing, I guess.” It didn’t cover much, but anything was better than strutting around barefaced around aliens. It would also mitigate the impropriety, if only slightly. Ameli reached out to take the mask.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

IC:

"Drowning in coffee wouldn't be too bad. Probably third on my list of ways to die." William commented, taking another sip. "While I am still alive, however, that would be fantastic, Major Walker. It'd be absolutely spectacular to have some real coffee. I'm pretty sure they cut the ship's grounds with something, God knows what, to make it last longer."

"Way Earth's been these days, could be anything. Soylent green is people. Et cetera et cetera."

fK5oqYf.jpg

She scrunched up her nose at the mention of soylent green. She popped the Krapfen into the oven and smiled. "I'll go get it from my room then... Need to feed Spot anyway.. Maybe I'll bring him with." She said with a smile as she began to walk out of the kitchen.

IC: "Alright," Nicole muttered. "That's that taken care of. I don't think you should have much to worry about, but if it makes you feel more comfortable it'll work for now."

Nicole took a breath in. "Now, you seem to be okay for the moment, but it is possible there could be delayed effects and I know you don't want to be stuck here. What I'd suggest is if you report back to me at least twice a day for the duration of the week. If you feel anything at all I'd like you to come to me straight away, even if it's probably nothing."

IC: Souper Saladd, Fish Goer

Go Fish? Xhe'd played the game a few times, but as xhe didn't want to tell her...well, that xhe could not help but cheat with that game, perhaps it was best not to do that, "Perhaps Go Fish sounds good, but I am a slug. Aren't you afraid I'd cheat by scanning your mind for what cards you'd have?" xhe said as they watched her ears pop and lock. What the heck was it with these mammalian creatures and their ears being so big and perky?

Edited by Zhangku

"Don't worry Souper I trust you." Ashley turned to Andromeda. "Well, using a regular deck, we start with...five cards each, the goal is to get matches of four of whatever ranks you have...when it's your turn you can ask any player if they have a particular rank...if they do, they have to give you it, if they don't you have to go fish and pick up a new card from the pile and end your turn!"