21110 Research Institute Revealed and Reviewed

Alatariel Elensar is the brilliant mind behind the LEGO Ideas project that has become 21110 Research Institute. Recently she received a copy of the set and was allowed to review it and share her thoughts. It looks like an awesome addition to the Ideas line and I hope it proves to be a big seller so we get more sets that lean in this direction in the future!

View the full article

Best CUUSOO set yet? Best CUUSOO set yet.

No, really, I love this. Even if two of those vignettes are relatively simple I still think the builds are clever and clean enough to enjoy them. And then there's the dinosaur skeleton which is a really fantastic build. Different from the original model, obviously, but I don't think the changes do harm in any way. I am wondering, though, why the skeleton vignette isn't put up front on the box seeing as how it's probably the main draw.

The only real issue here is the lack of a geology themed vignette... but I'm biased in that regard. I'd love to see a follow up that features three different science themed vignettes, but I suppose that's just wishful thinking. It looks like a great set and I'll definitely be picking one up.

BZPRPG

I'm stoked for these. Decent model designs that stayed fairly true to the original concept. My biggest complaint is the lack of custom printing on the figs. I think all the heads are re-uses, and only one of the torsos is new. I wish they had put some greater effort into more custom torsos and heads just to give it a more custom, unique feel to this set. Still, will probably pick up at least one.

:music:

• Upvote 1

The dinosaur has the Chima spider leg piece in white! I needed those parts in that color for my Skeleton dragon. I was just going to substitute and use the black ones from the Tmnt Spider Bytez figure but now I don't have to.

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

argh okay i'm going to end up causing some ire by saying this most likely but i don't like the dinosaur skeleton much at all. The rib pieces used are even worse than those in the original model, giving the skeleton an annoyingly openness. In addition, the head is enormous while the legs are tiny, with itty bitty feet. I get that a certain amount of stylized proportions are to be expected, but this feels less like cartoon stylization and more like sloppy proportion work. They did scale down the oversized arms from the original, though, which i appreciate.

idk i get what they were trying to do but it just.... doesn't work. (i also question the decision to make it white instead of the original tan; white may be more recognizable as bone but fossils are more likely to be tan or even brown.)

it's otherwise quite nice but i was opposed to the original dino skeleton design and it hasn't gotten much better.

I'm really glad they did the original proposal justice. This looks like a really cool set and each vignette looks really great. I especially like the use of the white spider leg in the skeleton--it's a piece that definitely needs to be used in more colors, and it complements the skeletal look of the dinosaur fossil so well!

I do agree with xccj about the minifigures, though. Other than the chemist, there's nothing very unique about them, and little to tie them to their vignette as a whole. The designer said she wanted to emphasize casual clothing, but I think they could have still done something more to give them a more distinct astronomer/paleontologist look. Leg printing (especially on the chemist) would have also been nice.

AXKP5KC.png

Very nice. So how would one get a hold of these once they're released? I take it they're only available from Lego, online?

The LEGO Ideas sets are typically available at LEGO.com, in LEGO stores, and sometimes at other retailers (I know the original Minecraft set in particular was carried by retailers like Toys 'R' Us).

The LEGO Group also sells pretty much all their sets not only on shop.LEGO.com but also through Amazon.com. Their Amazon.com store can sometimes have really good discounts, particularly with older sets, but obviously things you order there won't be eligible for shop.LEGO.com special offers like LEGO VIP points or free polybag sets.