Thousand Years Untold 2 Canon?

Are the stories that won the old "Thousand Years Untold 2" contest considered official canon, or did they get finalized around the end of Bionicle and the BZP downtime so that their canonization was blocked? Or did something else keep them from becoming canon? So far as I know there was an official winner chosen for each group in the contest, so I wondered what happened after that?

I believe they are. All contests of BZPower are approved for canon before the contest is run, so there's no way the canonization could be "blocked". 

I don't want to be insensitive with this next question but, why are they not on BS01 then?  :???:

I know they've had problems in the past getting some things up and running, but to my knowledge those stories are not anywhere to be seen on the website or in any of the pages that would have been effected by them.

Again, I know that BS01 has been busy with a lot of things, so I don't want to be stepping on toes in asking. I can understand if they've just had a lot on their plate over there.

As one of the winners of this contest, I sure hope they are canon! :P

Joking aside, it is my understanding that while the winning stories are considered canon, they weren't put on BS01 because at the time Greg never got a chance to read and approve them. And they weren't going to be put on BS01 until he did this.

Of course, this was awhile ago. I do not know if he has read them since then. (He probably hasn't.) I believe this is why they are not on BS01 at this time.

Edited by Toa Smoke Monster

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I can ask Dorek about it. He's the only BS01 staff member who's really up and running at the moment.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

I can ask Dorek about it. He's the only BS01 staff member who's really up and running at the moment.

A lot of others are still around, but I just happen to have more free time on my hands as an unemployed college graduate =P

ANYWAY

Short version: No, they aren't. I have a slightly more detailed explanation here, but for the sake of summary, I'll say this: even with BZP's (very!) thorough grading standards both before and during the judging process, it's the one that comes after that is (for BS01) the most critical.

I use my own winning story from the Core War contest as a prime example; that one was vetted, double checked (and written by someone who you would think knows a thing or two), and passed all the considerations necessary from (what I hope was) a team of expert judges. Despite all that, I was ultimately asked by Greg to rewrite a portion because it conflicted with the way the story was going forward.

In theory, that would matter less these days (there are a few more reasons to be wary, but could possibly worked out), and BS01 is planning an upcoming chat with Greg that will hopefully be more in-depth than your standard LMB post, so it's a possible topic of conversation.

Okay, so they are currently in a nebulous state of non-canon-ness that might later be clarified. Maybe.

That's fine by me. Honestly, we have enough stories and backstories dealing with the Dark Time and the Matoran Universe already. What we really need is a "100,000 Years Untold" contest for Spherus Magna, because we know next to nothing about that location, and that's a crying shame, since it's an entire planet.

• Upvote 2
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

They were agreed to be canon and went through the same vetting process as the first ATYU, which everybody agreed was canon, but they weren't read by Greg, unfortunately. The best solution at this point is to beg Greg to read them, as everybody agrees that would be best. :P Rather than worrying over whether they're canon. The point is they're not up to BS01's standards which was started before that point, which makes sense.

(And hopefully we can get him to read winning entries in Memoirs too. :P And as far as we have planned, that will be the last such contest, although if Bionicle does indeed return, who knows -- but I wouldn't likely have time to run that kind again myself.)

Call them "semi-canon", if you want, though. :) (And note that many published Bionicle sources had less vetting than any S&T contest, actually.)

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Excuse me, but does anyone happen to have a link to the winning entries? That would be much appreciated. :)

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Excuse me, but does anyone happen to have a link to the winning entries? That would be much appreciated. :)

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/2856-a-thousand-years-untold-2-results/

Has the format glitch, and the archive links of course don't work, but the blue (new) links work.

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)