What to do with my collection?

Vraiment

Lately I've been buying some Throwbots and Bionicle sets from eBay and increasing my collection, all this because of nostalgia and self-realization (I always wanted a Boxor for example).

And now before I continue wasting money buying old sets I want to know if there is something I can do with all of them (besides MOCing or selling them) so is not just waste of money and its actually an investment of some kind.

I have a fair large collection, specially from the early years.

Ideas?

Came for the sets, stayed for the story.

Hide the collection for a few years. Next, make sure you have a child that you feel would be worthy enough to handle the awesome. When your spawn is old enough, introduce him (or her, depending on her interests) to your vast holdings. Your kid will be blown away. You'll bond over BIONICLE.

That's what I plan to do with my collection, anyway.

• Upvote 4

mindeth the cobwebs

MOC with them! Make models and gain inspiration from looking at the MOCs of more experienced MOCers like DeeVee, Chro, and others. Then send them to conventions and inspire millions of people! Or just let them sit on your desk and look at them when you're feeling down. They'll cheer you up.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

Maybe you could implement them in something that you do. For example, I would use them to make a nice frame and photoshop it around something, and use the ball joint in my music :P

Ask the question "what could I use right now?" first, then wonder how you could use dem plastics.

Oh and if you're into jewelry, run a string though a piece a hang it around your neck. Yeah, it'll look dorky, but hey, you made an investment.

• Upvote 2

banner1.png

Make a personal (or public) museum, with the sets all on display in cool poses. Make some sort of cool brick-built wall to put your mask collection on and put up Bionicle posters all over the place. Or, if you don't have room, just keep the sets and save them for your children. You could also wait 10 years and then try and sell the sets. They'll be worth a lot more then. :P

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Hide the collection for a few years. Next, make sure you have a child that you feel would be worthy enough to handle the awesome. When your spawn is old enough, introduce him (or her, depending on her interests) to your vast holdings. Your kid will be blown away. You'll bond over BIONICLE.

That was also my plan, but is too long term you know?

MOC with them! Make models and gain inspiration from looking at the MOCs of more experienced MOCers like DeeVee, Chro, and others. Then send them to conventions and inspire millions of people! Or just let them sit on your desk and look at them when you're feeling down. They'll cheer you up.

That second though is a good one, I'll keep a set near my desk to cheer me up when I'm down

Maybe you could implement them in something that you do. For example, I would use them to make a nice frame and photoshop it around something, and use the ball joint in my music :P

Ask the question "what could I use right now?" first, then wonder how you could use dem plastics.

Oh and if you're into jewelry, run a string though a piece a hang it around your neck. Yeah, it'll look dorky, but hey, you made an investment.

I'm a programmer and I spend most of my time doin' code so no use of dem plastics on my daily job :(

Make a personal (or public) museum, with the sets all on display in cool poses. Make some sort of cool brick-built wall to put your mask collection on and put up Bionicle posters all over the place. Or, if you don't have room, just keep the sets and save them for your children. You could also wait 10 years and then try and sell the sets. They'll be worth a lot more then. :P

I also thought about doin' a museum, a public one would be cool but there is no space and besides, who the would care to see Bionicles in my city?

That was also my plan, but is too long term you know?

I understand. It'll take dedication to follow through on such a plan too. I hope you find your solution!

mindeth the cobwebs

You're original post sounds like you got back into Bionicle the exact some way as I did! I started buying with a bunch of Ebay listings after pulling some of my old sets down from my mum's loft (attic) and I was once again re-hooked! I guess it depends on the purpose you had in mind when you started buying again though doesn't it? If you are a MOCcer then take them apart and MOC away, if you're a displayer then get them a shelf somewhere so you can see your favourite ones everysay. As for me, I'm a collector so most of my stuff is currently checked bagged and boxed away upstairs. This is sadly due mostly to space constraints however or I too would be a displayer ;)

Ultimately though, think back to what made you buy that first set, what were you thinking when you got your Boxor? It might be that your hit of nostalgia isn't enduring and you just wanted to spend a little time enjoying the sets you didn't have before. If that's the case and your buzz is now gone then why not pass them on to someone else? xmas is coming after all and I bet you know people who would like this stuff if you're struggling to find a reason to keep it!

• Upvote 1

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

I also thought about doin' a museum, a public one would be cool but there is no space and besides, who the ###### would care to see Bionicles in my city?

I would! :P But since you have no space I guess you couldn't do that.

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Don't MOC the rare ones. I destroyed my Boxor by MOCing back in 2002 or so.

and which would I classify as "non-rare"? Because from my point of view... ALL are rare

Like pre-2004 I suppose are the most coveted? The original Mata Nui chapters.

Is the big bulk of my collection