Can Inactive Matoran Powers Be Learned?

Archon~

I'm thinking about going to Greg and asking him this, however I wanna see what you guys think about it first.

As we know, Helryx studied Ce-Matoran to find out how to protect her agents' minds from mental assaults. She did this successfully as we know.

This makes me wonder, would it possible for her/someone to study other Matoran types and learn how their inactive powers work and utilize them? I feel it would be possible, especially since it was done with Ce-Matoran. The only problem I would see is Av-Matoran, but then again Roodaka managed to tap into a "polarized" element that she ws not naturally affiliated with?

Thoughts???

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

I'd say no. Greg denied something similar to your question in the past. I think he said that the mind shielding was a non-elemental psionic power.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Draining one's moral shadow would give them light powers. In theory, any Matoran could get Av-Matoran powers if they wanted them. (However, imbalancing one's morality would have other effects Av-Matoran would not have naturally.)

I'd say it's possible. A Matoran could use heat-resistant or cold-resistant armor, or modify themselves to make themselves more agile, etc. But it wouldn't likely work as well as the natural counterpart, which is why the GBs made all those types in the first place. 

When light is drained from a Matoran, the elemental matoran power they had prior would be removed in place of shadow. So I'd assume the same would happen with light... 

If they would have to modify themselves then that wouldn't really be them learning it.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I don't see why not. If mental resistance can be learned, or a process developed that can reproduce it, then there's nothing to say that the others could be done, as well.

Heat resistance--basically just withstanding greater temperatures. Not necessarily surviving in lava. The same can be said for cold-resistance.

Resistance to electrical shocks--a little more complicated, but I'm sure some science could fix that.

The strength of Po-Matoran would be more difficult, as that's more a natural trait rather than an ability. Same goes for the Fe-Matoran's endurance.

So, while some can be learned, presumably, others cannot. So, all things considered, I would say yes to the original question.

• Upvote 3

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I would say that some abilities could be learned, but not all Matoran abilities. If the Order of Mata Nui can use a mental shielding technique, that's okay with me, but learning takes some form of conditioning, as well. For example, a being could obtain the power of limited vision in dark places (from Onu-Matoran, as I recall) if they condition and train themselves for the task. Being able to hold your breath longer while underwater could be an ability that can be learned, also. However, abilities like the Po-Matoran strength are not abilities per say, but more like defining traits.

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

I wonder if it's sort of like in Skyrim, where some races start of with better traits than others but over time other races can catch up to then and so on..?

• Upvote 1

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Wait I just thought of something that has probably been answered before - can the Ignika activate dormant powers in Matoran similarly how it bestowed elemental powers for Glatorian?

-NotS

Interesting thought. I suspect it would. 

Just to clarify, you're talking about giving a Ta-Matoran Toa-level control over heat and flame, right? Theoretically, it could, but it might just take the easy route and evolve the Matoran into a Toa to avoid any mishaps or inconsistencies or whatever.

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Forget even getting to mental discipline, the bodies of the Matoran are probably not designed to channel such power. If the Ignika was able to active their dormant elemental power, I'd expect the Matoran to implode, Bohrok-Kal esque. :P

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for" -John Lubbock

Hewkii learned to swim from a Ga-Matoran girlfriend, so I assume Hahli may have learned how to tolerate heat the amount of time she spent in Ta-Koro. If anyone would have learned other latent matoran traits, it would have been Takua, the amount of travelling he did.

• Upvote 2

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone would have learned other latent matoran traits, it would have been Takua, the amount of travelling he did.

That brings up another question. Wouldn't Takua's lack of heat-resistance reveal that he is not a Ta-Matoran? Or did the Order of Mata Nui somehow grant him heat-resistance when they hid him on Metru Nui to complete his disguise? The 2001-2003 story doesn't really confirm either one, as Takua would have to have some level of heat-resistance to lava surf, but in Mask of Light he is burned by the Avohkii after he fishes it out of the lava.

• Upvote 1